Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By twister6
  • 1 Post By twister6
  • 1 Post By Doyer
  • 2 Post By twister6
  • 1 Post By selmerdave

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5
Carrier: V

Default Arkon Slim-Grip Ultra mount for car and home

This is a review of a newly released Arkon Slim-Grip Ultra (Slim-Grip® Ultra™ Mounts for Smartphones & Tablets) grip with various mounting options that can be used in a car and in a house. I have been using a lot of different car mounts for years, everything from cheap ebay parts to some more expensive brand names, but I keep coming back to Arkon for a very simple reason - it lasts through years because of the quality of material they use, more robust locking mechanism, and engineering of adjustable lockable joint. Also, since I use different cases on my phone and like flexibility of attaching my own cables where I want to, I prefer universal nature of these grips.

Since the day of my Droid X, I used their original Mega Grip which still works well with my Note 2. The problem, related to my car, was where I can place it since I didn't want to mount to windshield glass and I didn't want to use sticky or bean-bag bases on dashboard for suction cup mounting. My dashboard is textured, and regular suction cup didn't work with it. So I came up with combination of mounting my Mega Grip to another vertical sticky mount that worked with my car.

I tried looking for a sticky base suction mounts, but those were either not good in heat, didn't work with my textured dashboard, or came off after awhile, so I vent back to my original setup. Now, I was pleased to see them releasing a new Slim-Grip Ultra mount, based on spring loaded mechanism rather then grip-locking mechanism, and was especially intrigued to see a sticky base suction mount offered along with it. This grip is based on spring loaded mechanism where one side will extend when pulled. This mechanism actually allows one-handed operation when in portrait orientation (then you can flip in to landscape if you want to) or you can use with two hands if you have your orientation fixed in landscape. Also, it comes with 2 sets of feet (with inner soft foam cushion) where in addition to original set the extra one gives you another 1" of clearance. With original feet you get about 6" total opening (perfect for up to 5" screen phones or 7"/8" tablets in landscape), extended feet give you clearance of up to 7" - perfect for Note 2 even with extra bulky case. Also, the feet slide thus making it adjustable to a position most convenient for your micro-usb charging cable, headphone cable, etc.

Adjustable mount arm has a very sturdy easy grip nut for different angles, and the grip uses universal ball joint which makes all the component interchangeable with other mounts and grips. In addition to low profile sticky suction mount, I also got extended arm mount for my Nexus 7, although could be used for a phone as well (uses regular suction cup), and two headrest mounts for either direct headrest mount or adjustable arm mount so both of the passengers in the back can share a view of a tablet or a phablet. Every mount is engineered with high precision and reliability; once locked in - its very sturdy and has attachment for slim-grip ultra grip or in general any other universal ball join mount. Those headrest mounts will probably be used in our SUV for kids to watch movies on Nexus 7 while we are on a road.

I'm also tested out sticky suction cup at home on various surfaces and different horizontal, vertical, and upside down positions. It worked perfectly in every case and stuck to a surface like a cement glue!

OK, so here are more detailed pictures of various setups inside of my car and at home.

*** IntelliGrip edition of this Slim-Grip Ultra mount was reviewed here: Arkon Slim-Grip Ultra mount for car and home ***
drexappeal likes this.

Advertisements

Complete List of all smartphone and tablet Accessory and Gadget REVIEWS by Twister => HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last edited by twister6; August 18th, 2013 at 09:58 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to twister6 For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (April 8th, 2013), El Presidente (March 3rd, 2013), Lightninrod (February 23rd, 2014), mecampo (April 30th, 2013), mntom (March 5th, 2013), NeoGrandizer (May 5th, 2013), rabernet (March 7th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,920 Posts

I might give this a try, when I get the Note 8.0.
Old April 29th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi

twister, would you mind trying the sticky mount on the vertical portion of the front dash (to the side of the main console) or an open area of the matte plastic (bezel around the radio)?

I'm just trying to get an idea of where this mount will still work and not have to worry about it falling down, while I'm driving.

TIA!
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
twister, would you mind trying the sticky mount on the vertical portion of the front dash (to the side of the main console) or an open area of the matte plastic (bezel around the radio)?

I'm just trying to get an idea of where this mount will still work and not have to worry about it falling down, while I'm driving.

TIA!
If you are not using your windshield or top of dashboard, finding a spot is the most difficult task If you can see from my very first top pictures of Arkon Mega-grip mount (btw, I went back to using it because it's grip fits every extended case), I'm using a dash mounted arm which attaches to vertical dashboard with 3M sticky tape. That particular product SoundGate M2 was discontinued 3 years ago. I had to take out the mounting head and replaced it with universal ball joint head (dremeled out of another mount).

Regarding sticky mounting on vertical textured surface, it has to be a continues surface, not from different pieces, or at least a uniform area of the size of sticky gel pad. I don't have that anywhere on my dashboard where it's going to be mounted easily (for the reference, in pictures is GS350 dashboard). Also, out of 3 car mounts I tested (Arkon, Exogear, iOttie) I found only iOttie to have super strong sticky gel pad to hold to the vertical surface in the car where I had it mounted to the area above my glove box. The problem with iOttie, it doesn't offer universal ball joint connection so you can't mix'n'match mounts.

You know, in the worst case, you can get one of those adhesive metal disk for GSP mount (a few bucks on ebay) and sticky somewhere on the dashboard where you can attach suction cup of the mount?
drexappeal likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to twister6 For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (April 30th, 2013)
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
If you are not using your windshield or top of dashboard, finding a spot is the most difficult task If you can see from my very first top pictures of Arkon Mega-grip mount (btw, I went back to using it because it's grip fits every extended case), I'm using a dash mounted arm which attaches to vertical dashboard with 3M sticky tape. That particular product SoundGate M2 was discontinued 3 years ago. I had to take out the mounting head and replaced it with universal ball joint head (dremeled out of another mount).

Regarding sticky mounting on vertical textured surface, it has to be a continues surface, not from different pieces, or at least a uniform area of the size of sticky gel pad. I don't have that anywhere on my dashboard where it's going to be mounted easily (for the reference, in pictures is GS350 dashboard). Also, out of 3 car mounts I tested (Arkon, Exogear, iOttie) I found only iOttie to have super strong sticky gel pad to hold to the vertical surface in the car where I had it mounted to the area above my glove box. The problem with iOttie, it doesn't offer universal ball joint connection so you can't mix'n'match mounts.

You know, in the worst case, you can get one of those adhesive metal disk for GSP mount (a few bucks on ebay) and sticky somewhere on the dashboard where you can attach suction cup of the mount?
No worries. I don't really need alternative mounting solutions. I've tried almost every car setup imaginable. Windshield mount is not an option (in California, only place a windshield mount can be legally mounted is the bottom right of the driver-side window). By far, my favorite mounting solution is ProClip...however, for tablet mounting, the areas that the proclip mounts are set (for my car) would prove to be to obstructive for any tablet I get.

I know which areas I'm considering this for, it's more-so to get an idea if it really does stick on different surfaces that are flat. From the sounds of it, it seems as though it doesn't stick very well vertically, which rules out one location on my dash. I have one other area that I'm going to be trying (my mount should be in by today or tomorrow) and should it work and stay mounted through hot weather, I'll post up pics to add to your review of the Arkon. Thanks again for the info!
Old May 5th, 2013, 12:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
AF Addict

Got my slim grip sticky mount in...it definitely doesn't stick on every surface...And definitely didn't stick on vertical portion of the dash.
Old May 5th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Got my slim grip sticky mount in...it definitely doesn't stick on every surface...And definitely didn't stick on vertical portion of the dash.
I wonder if that was a problem in my car and the reason why I don't have picture of it mounted vertically. iOtties for sure was stuck like a cement glue. I just wish it would have universal ball joint mount to combine these together
Old May 5th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
I wonder if that was a problem in my car and the reason why I don't have picture of it mounted vertically. iOtties for sure was stuck like a cement glue. I just wish it would have universal ball joint mount to combine these together
Only problem with the iOttie is that it won't fit in the area that I wanted to mount. Hard to explain until I get some pics. The Arkon does have the garmin ball joint mount, so worse case scenario, I can use this with one of my proclip mounts. Only thing is, having the Note 8 up that high will be very distracting, so I'm trying to figure out a way to get it lower.
Old May 7th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

how does the slim SM678 do on not so flat dash board?
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s):

Curved dashboard, check it and see:

Once this thing is locked on, it pretty solid.
twister6 likes this.
Last edited by twister6; September 13th, 2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: align the pictures
sponsored links
Old August 9th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

As a quick update, I just learned that Slim-Grip Ultra will be updated with a new refresh model containing integrated NFC chip. Whenever I'm going to receive a sample, I will put together an updated review with more details about it.
Old August 18th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Default Review of Arkon Slim-Grip Ultra IntelliGrip mount w/lots of pics!!!

This is a review of Arkon Slim-Grip Ultra IntelliGrip edition which available with a car charger IntelliGrip? NFC Car Dock for Android? or without it IntelliGrip? NFC Car Mount for Android?

For those familiar with Slim-Grip Ultra, which I've reviewed in my original post, you can consider this as v2.0. You will find the same high quality built with a spring loaded mechanism and two sets of adjustable leg supports to accommodate any smartphone or tablet with screen size of up to 8". It also comes with a sticky mount base which I have demonstrated before to work great on any flat surface and a number of different textured surfaces. There is even a classic mounting disk with 3M sticky side in case you really having a hard time locating that mounting surface. In addition, review package I received had car charger adapter with a built-in protection chip, although charger itself is rather bulky/old fashioned and supports only 1A of charging current. But the great thing is that you have an option which IntelliGrip package you choose, and once it's available on Amazon and other discount retailers, you always guaranteed to find the best deal! If you don't want to wait, you can order it directly from Arkon using links I provided above.

I'm not going into the same details about basics of this mount since I have already done that in my original review you can find at Post#1 of this thread. I have been using my Arkon car mount for years, and can voucher for its quality that never let me down no matter if it's single or triple digit weather outside. The build and the material of this Slim Grip Ultra is top notch. I also wanted to add since I have been asked this question a lot, the mount does fit Note 2 with Zerolemon battery and it's tpu case. I have demonstrated that in pictures below. N2 w/ZL stays very sturdy and secure. But I still have to point out - using a large phone such as Note 2 will require two hands because you will be dealing with extension of spring loaded end where the spring itself will be at max stretch. Just think of it as a bonus workout

So what is IntelliGrip and how does it benefit this car mount? With a widespread popularity of NFC technology, you will find it available in most of today's new phones. It's very simple, you get NFC tag, program it, and place your phone next to this tag to execute pre-programmed tasks. You can let your imagination go wild where and how you can use these, but one place where it could be almost as "must have" is in your car. You get into your car, typically want your wifi to turn off and switch to 4G before the road, have GPS on, perhaps Bluetooth on as well to pair up with your car audio system, and start your navigation program. This is a series of commands you can realistically go through every time you get into the car, especially if you are trying to preserve your battery life and have some of these turned off. In this situation having NFC tag right where your car mount is extremely practical. I know what you going to ask, why do I need another car mount when I can get a sticky tag and just attach it on the car mount. Absolutely, you can, but after awhile it will probably peel off after constant placement of the phone. Therefore Arkon guys came up with a clever idea to make a cavity inside of their spring loaded arm to host this NFC tag. As you can see from the pictures, one was already included, and another one was provided as a spare. As simple as that, place your phone into the car mount, and any task you programmed using, for example, a free NFC Task Launcher will get executed on a spot. Very simple and clean solution that takes Slim-Grip Ultra to a new IntelliGrip level

Here are the pictures.

Old August 19th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy Note 10.1

What mount is the one with the extendable arm?
Old August 19th, 2013, 06:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF353 View Post
What mount is the one with the extendable arm?
In the original post? It's all Arkon slim grip ultra w/o NFC version. The very first picture in the original post has Arkon mega grip. Both work great with ZL or any larger case like defender.
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

There seems to be a number of different mounts for the car. I'm not sure which one to get. What is the item number of the one you reviewed?
Old August 19th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF353 View Post
There seems to be a number of different mounts for the car. I'm not sure which one to get. What is the item number of the one you reviewed?
Please refer to the manufacturing links, they have part numbers. This InitelliGrip model is brand new and not available on Amazon yet, only from their website. You might want to wait a week or so when its available since Amazon usually has a better deal
Old August 19th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Please refer to the manufacturing links, they have part numbers. This InitelliGrip model is brand new and not available on Amazon yet, only from their website. You might want to wait a week or so when its available since Amazon usually has a better deal
Thanks!

I will wait until Amazon has the IntelliGrip model.
Old September 13th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Arkon just officially updated their warranty to 2 years: Arkon Resources, Inc. ? ARKON 2-YEAR LIMITED PRODUCT WARRANTY

That is actually a big deal since I always think its a great gesture for a company to show they really stand behind their products and believe in their quality.
drexappeal and stridermt2k like this.
drexappeal (September 13th, 2013)
Old December 18th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid X 7/13/10 Droid Incredible 4/28/10 Motorola Droid, Blackberry Storm2, Blackberry Tour, Samsung

briankeith513

Question for those of you with the SlimGrip dash mounts. Are you leaving it mounted on your dashboards in your cars? Or do you try to take it down everytime you leave your car?
Old December 19th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankeith513 View Post
Question for those of you with the SlimGrip dash mounts. Are you leaving it mounted on your dashboards in your cars? Or do you try to take it down everytime you leave your car?
Of course, always leave it in the car. Why would you take it down? The gel base sticky suction cup is reusable, but constant on'n'off (with any car mount vendor) will put wear'n'tear on your dashboard surface. Some people who don't want a permanent attachment get one of these beany-bag mounts where you attach suction cut to and can just take it off your dashboard when not in use.
sponsored links
Old December 20th, 2013, 07:34 AM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid X 7/13/10 Droid Incredible 4/28/10 Motorola Droid, Blackberry Storm2, Blackberry Tour, Samsung

briankeith513

Quote:
Of course, always leave it in the car. Why would you take it down? The gel base sticky suction cup is reusable, but constant on'n'off (with any car mount vendor) will put wear'n'tear on your dashboard surface. Some people who don't want a permanent attachment get one of these beany-bag mounts where you attach suction cut to and can just take it off your dashboard when not in use.
I was wondering if having something like this mounted on the car dash would attract thieves or not. I haven't really used a car mount before.
Old December 20th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #22 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankeith513 View Post
I was wondering if having something like this mounted on the car dash would attract thieves or not. I haven't really used a car mount before.
7-8 years ago before smartphones, people were using portable NAV units which stayed in the car or in glove compartment. Not to mention those car stereos with removable faceplates lol!! Maybe then it would have send a message to thieves, temping them to break in? This is 2013, well almost 2014, so I'm not sure what kind of tempting message you can send with a $20 smartphone dashboard mount in the car
Old December 20th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #23 (permalink)

briankeith513

Quote:
7-8 years ago before smartphones, people were using portable NAV units which stayed in the car or in glove compartment. Not to mention those car stereos with removable faceplates lol!! Maybe then it would have send a message to thieves, temping them to break in? This is 2013, well almost 2014, so I'm not sure what kind of tempting message you can send with a $20 smartphone dashboard mount in the car
Haha, I hope you're right.
Old February 4th, 2014, 01:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

In the last month I got a few PMs from people asking me which model of Arkon car mount I would recommend. As you probably seen, I usually refer to Slim Grip Ultra as my favorite one, and I have tested all of them Can't go wrong since it works with every smartphone from old iPhone to Note 3 as well as small 7"/8" tablets like Nexus 7 and Note 8 or iPad Mini, therefore you are future proofed for whatever comes next, S5, Note 4, etc. But when you start looking at all the Slim Grip Ultra models, it could get a bit confusing will all the different models corresponding to mounting options, different bases, suction cups, etc.

So instead of replying to separate PMs, I figured just to post the link to their latest model where they have a new improved sticky suction base, which to be honest is the best I have ever seen with any mount (max bond to any surface). This one is their latest model SM679, its $16 plus change with free amazon shipping option here: Amazon.com: ARKON Sticky Suction Deluxe Windshield Dashboard Car Mount for Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy S4, Note 3, iPhone 5/5c/5S and Smartphones - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
Lightninrod (February 23rd, 2014)
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:22 AM   #25 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 3

I use a universal holder that is vent-mount, works like a charm.

Dave
PattiCakeUS likes this.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2