Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Frisco

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 13th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Changing icons without launcher?

Back when i had the S2 I used Go Launcher, but I really like the options in the Note 2 - S Pen, motions and so on, so i don't want to install a launcher and lose those functions. However, I would like to change the icon set - is this only possible with a launcher?

Also, i'm coming from Windows Phone, so used to a phone that lights up when i get an SMS (WP uses toast notifications), but the Note 2 will make a notification sound, but not show me who it's from. Any way to activate that?

sponsored links
Old March 13th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=

Device(s): HTC One, Galaxy Tab 7" 2 Rooted
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 9,262 Times in 5,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
Back when i had the S2 I used Go Launcher, but I really like the options in the Note 2 - S Pen, motions and so on, so i don't want to install a launcher and lose those functions. However, I would like to change the icon set - is this only possible with a launcher?

Also, i'm coming from Windows Phone, so used to a phone that lights up when i get an SMS (WP uses toast notifications), but the Note 2 will make a notification sound, but not show me who it's from. Any way to activate that?
Desktop Visualizer turns icon packs into widgets (well, each icon must be set as a widget, a bit time consuming), so works with any stock launcher including TouchWiz.
Corki2 likes this.

Old March 13th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
Desktop Visualizer turns icon packs into widgets (well, each icon must be set as a widget, a bit time consuming), so works with any stock launcher including TouchWiz.
Interesting, thanks.
So I can download any icon pack regardless of the launcher it's for?

If they're set as widgets, do they use more battery and can they still be put into folders?
Old March 13th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

You can still use the S Pen apps and functions with a 3rd party laucher. You won't lose anything. Well, maybe the stock Widgets as they don't resize properly. I use Nova Launcher Prime and can still use multiwindow as well as S Pen gestures.
Old March 13th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoGrandizer View Post
You can still use the S Pen apps and functions with a 3rd party laucher. You won't lose anything. Well, maybe the stock Widgets as they don't resize properly. I use Nova Launcher Prime and can still use multiwindow as well as S Pen gestures.
Ah, perfect! So everything works just the same, except certain widget sizes?

(Not heard of Nova before getting the Note 2, any standout features over GoLauncher etc?)
Old March 13th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

User preference really. I really like Nova and have no complaints with. There is a free version of it if you want to play with it. Or if GoLauncher works for you, that's fine too.
Old March 13th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoGrandizer View Post
User preference really. I really like Nova and have no complaints with. There is a free version of it if you want to play with it. Or if GoLauncher works for you, that's fine too.
well I used GL two years ago, and now using touchwiz so open to all of them. my only concern is not overriding the Samsung features
Old March 13th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

OK I have installed nova launcher and really like it, but one concern is that when I went to add a widget for Falcon Pro it wants me to let it access my twitter data. Should I be worried about that?
Old March 13th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
OK I have installed nova launcher and really like it, but one concern is that when I went to add a widget for Falcon Pro it wants me to let it access my twitter data. Should I be worried about that?
Let it, as in Nova Launcher is wanting access to your Twitter data?

Are you sure it's not Falcon Pro asking you for that? According to the play-store info, it says this in the description:
Quote:
** EXISTING USERS WILL NEED TO RE-LOGIN WHEN PROMPTED AFTER UPDATING **
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jv.falcon.pro&feature=nav_result#?t =W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5qdi5mYWxjb24ucHJvIl0.
Old March 13th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Let it, as in Nova Launcher is wanting access to your Twitter data?

Are you sure it's not Falcon Pro asking you for that? According to the play-store info, it says this in the description:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jv.falcon.pro&feature=nav_result#?t =W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5qdi5mYWxjb24ucHJvIl0.
definitely nova, it says it will let it access all data for all widgets basically.

(also, when I click to add widgets, there is a big delay before the list of available widgets opens. is this normal? )
sponsored links
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
definitely nova, it says it will let it access all data for all widgets basically.

(also, when I click to add widgets, there is a big delay before the list of available widgets opens. is this normal? )
That's interesting. I've never received that notification when trying to set a widget (then again, I wonder if it has anything to do with Prime vs. Free version).

As for slight delay before all available widgets open...yes. You can also access all the widgets through the app drawer and drag and drop from there. I've noticed less lag going that route (but I don't mind the lag so much).
Old March 14th, 2013, 03:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s):

1. Nova Free is asking for data access on every widget you create.
2. Icon Changer (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jy.iconchanger.ad&feature=search_re sult#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5qeS5pY29uY2hhbmdlci 5hZCJd) is much easier to use than Desktop Visualizer.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2