Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 25th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default How To Turn Off WiFi? (SPRINT)

when i turn the wifi off (from status bar or settings), the phone still automatically connects to open networks no matter what i do!!! this means that the phone is still searching for wifi, wasting battery. a specific example is in home depot when i'm trying to use my 3g instead of their spy-fi, it will automatically detect their open network and connect .

what am i missing?
am i the only one?
can this be fixed?

Advertisements
Last edited by AlwaysAngry; March 25th, 2013 at 01:51 PM.
sponsored links
Old March 25th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4,Galaxy S3,Galaxy S2 skyrocket, Samsung infuse, Galaxy note, Galaxy note 2.
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysAngry View Post
when i turn the wifi off (from status bar or settings), the phone still automatically connects to open networks no matter what i do!!! this means that the phone is still searching for wifi, wasting battery. a specific example is in home depot when i'm trying to use my 3g instead of their spy-fi, it will automatically detect their open network and connect .

what am i missing?
am i the only one?
can this be fixed?
What provider do you have? For ATT they have Auto connect under advanced settings in WIFI. I think sprint also has an option that the phone will detect whatever is fastest and auto connect.
The Following User Says Thank You to Veritas4420 For This Useful Post:
AlwaysAngry (March 25th, 2013)
Old March 25th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,900 Posts

Quote:

what am i missing?
am i the only one?
can this be fixed?
I think I remember that you're on Sprint. If so:

Menu>Settings>MoreSettings>MobileNetworks>Connecti onsOptimizer

When Pop-up comes up, Hit the Back button (do not hit 'I Agree'). That should bring you to the Connections Optimizer Screen, where there's a toggle that you can un-check. Once that's un-checked, hit the back button to exit and go back to your homescreens.
The Following User Says Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
Old March 25th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
I think I remember that you're on Sprint. If so:

Menu>Settings>MoreSettings>MobileNetworks>Connecti onsOptimizer

When Pop-up comes up, Hit the Back button (do not hit 'I Agree'). That should bring you to the Connections Optimizer Screen, where there's a toggle that you can un-check. Once that's un-checked, hit the back button to exit and go back to your homescreens.
so will i still go between 3g and 4g/lte automatically with that disabled or do i need to do that manually now? and if so, how? also, if i have wifi on, will it still auto-connect?
Last edited by AlwaysAngry; March 25th, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old March 25th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi

Quote:
so will i still go between 3g and 4g/lte automatically with that disabled or do i need to do that manually now? and if so, how? also, if i have wifi on, will it still auto-connect?
Yes. There should be no problems with 3g or 4g. The Connections Optimizer was basically devised for people that really don't know how to use the toggle for wi-fi (my take on it).

If you have wi-fi on, but you go away from a router that you have saved, it'll automatically go to 3g/4g...but the connections optimizer will stay off.

I have toggled Connections Optimizer off from day 1 of owning the Note 2, back in November, and it works exactly as I prefer having it work. In the event I forget to toggle it off, when going out of range of the signal, it auotmatically toggles on 3g/4g. When I turn wi-fi off, the connections optimizer doesn't try to turn it back on, when there's a wi-fi signal in range.

-EDIT- I suggest you specify in your thread title or 1st post that you have Sprint. Not all providers have a "Connections Optimizer" and I believe there are some providers that force a connections optimizer, regardless of a user turning wi-fi off.
The Following User Says Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

Not sure if this will work for you.

Go into Settings>Wi-Fi. You should have a screen that displays active Wi-Fi signals. Hit the Menu button and select 'Advanced'.

Uncheck both 'Network notification' and 'Check for internet service'.

I have my Wi-Fi on 24/7. Moment I leave home, it goes to 4G/LTE automatically. Even though there are 5-6 active Wi-Fi signals it will not connect to them.

But in Canada and don't have this network optimizer.
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

^ yup, that's how i had /still have it.
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoGrandizer View Post
Not sure if this will work for you.

Go into Settings>Wi-Fi. You should have a screen that displays active Wi-Fi signals. Hit the Menu button and select 'Advanced'.

Uncheck both 'Network notification' and 'Check for internet service'.

I have my Wi-Fi on 24/7. Moment I leave home, it goes to 4G/LTE automatically. Even though there are 5-6 active Wi-Fi signals it will not connect to them.

But in Canada and don't have this network optimizer.
Quote:
^ yup, that's how i had /still have it.
I have that setup as well. For Sprint, the connections optimizer is what ends up turning wi-fi back on (even when I don't want it on).

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2