• 1 Post By Johnny Doomzday
  • 1 Post By twister6
  • 2 Post By twister6
  • 2 Post By whitecollar
  • 1 Post By srad2drag
  • 1 Post By NeoGrandizer

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 29th, 2013, 07:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5
Carrier: V

Default Seidio VITREO Tempered Glass review w/lots of pics!!!

This is a review of Seidio VITREO Tempered Glass for Note 2. SEIDIO | VITREO for Samsung Galaxy Note 2

My screen protector experience is based purely on dry installs where I typically prefer 3H hardness-rated PET film. I always look at screen protector as disposable/replaceable cheap option because even the best one will get scratches at some point. But in a back of my mind I always wondered about tempered glass material which is a lot more durable (typically 9H hardness) and more impact absorbing on a direct contact. And of course, glass will feel like a glass!!! It will cost more, but perhaps will last a lifetime of the phone so you don't have to replace/buy more regular screen protectors. At the same time, this is really a premium luxury option

I have read a number of reviews for other tempered glass screen protectors and found one common problem. Its a glass which has less flexibility than a plastic screen protector, and in combination with curved Note 2 glass - a lot of people complain about edges not sticking with their other screen protectors. Furthermore, I noticed some designs use completely enclosed cutout around Home button, and in conjunction with thickness of the tempered glass you will actually need to add a stick-on Home button to raise it up so it doesn't feel recessed. So with all that in mind, I decided to give it a shot. To quote their spec:

- High grade tempered glass with a 9H hardness rating prevents damage in the event of scratches and abrasions
- Tapered (rounded) edges provide a premium and more aesthetically enhanced profile for your device
- Engineered to reinforce the strength of the critical points of impact which results in prolonged durability
- Oleophobic coating resists marks and smudges with advanced technology that reduces the appearance of fingerprints
- Designed precisely for your device with slim cut to prevent bubbling around edges
- Allows touch sensitivity and enhances optical clarity
- Easy installation without bubbling and lifting
- Only 0.55mm (0.02in) thin

Since this is my first tempered glass install, I actually found it to be easier because with a sturdier piece of glass, versus a typical dry install flexible screen protector, it's easier to hold it in your hands while positioning. Most of the positioning work goes into trying to align it with visible part of the display. Unfortunately, the width of this glass is probably 1mm wider than visible area of the screen so its not an easy task. If you don't have a steady hand or OCD, forget about it lol!!! Looked like the sticky side has some kind of a glue substance. I didn't see any bubbles, but noticed what seems to be like "wet" spots. I tried my best massaging it out, but probably at least a dozen still remained. When you put a pressure on it - it disappears, but then it was back.

About the glass itself. Edges are very nicely rounded off and VERY smooth. While sliding the finger over the edge you feel a very smooth transition. Thickness of the glass is higher than Home button, so the button feels a bit recessed. Doesn't feel too bad since Home button opening is not enclosed. I might consider Home button sticker in the future. But as of now, I don't feel it's necessary. Everything is crystal clear, colors come through like with original glass screen, and it feels like a real smooth glass. S-pen glides smoothly too. Overall touch sensitivity and feeling is like you have an original glass display. Also, doesn't pick up too much fingerprints.

And here is the-morning-after UPDATE. I run my finger across the screen and every wet spot just disappeared!!!!!! This is a picture of PERFECTION!!! No bubbles, no spots, no lifting edges, just perfect and smooth. The only comment, since it has oleophobic coating, glass feels a little slippery right now which noticeable when you need to press'n'hold while using the phone (like press'n'hold on the link to open in another window of the browser). I believe that will wear off since it's a brand new layer of coating.

Here are the pictures. This one is a KEEPER!!!

Pre-install pictures:

Right after install pictures:

The morning-after install, FINAL pictures:

Advertisements

Complete List of all smartphone and tablet Accessory and Gadget REVIEWS by Twister => HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to twister6 For This Useful Post:
badankles (April 24th, 2013), Caveman419 (July 25th, 2013), DonB (May 2nd, 2013), fantlash (April 6th, 2013), lcneed (March 29th, 2013), MISS DIVA (May 28th, 2013), msndrstood (March 30th, 2013), NeoGrandizer (March 30th, 2013), pat3332 (January 7th, 2014), PiscesCloud (April 24th, 2013), ScandaLeX (April 24th, 2013), soulstlr (March 31st, 2013), sunlimited (May 5th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old March 29th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Clericus Geekicus

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2, Droid 4, Xoom, Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Verizon

Nice Review. Got mine last week. It's great.
Old March 29th, 2013, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)
Carrier: Not Provided

Ur reviews and the detail of your product pix are BOSS. Keep it up please man its appreciated.
ScandaLeX likes this.
Old March 29th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2 White
Carrier: Sprint

I know that i am in the minority with this...but that protector does not look good on the phone. I am sure that it is of good quality, but the 4 corners of the screen looks like crap...the glass seems too thick. It does not "disappear" like what you get with high quality plastic protectors. For me, a protector must be invisible AND protective.

I am not using a protector on my N2...first time i am going naked. But, i rather get PET protector than this glass product...simply from aesthetic point of view.

Thanks Twist for the review...always informative!
Old March 29th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecollar View Post
Nice Review. Got mine last week. It's great.
Feel free to reply with any additional comments or pictures.

Since you had it for a week, does it still feels a bit on a slippery side? Also, because it's a glass I see more reflection outside.
Old March 29th, 2013, 12:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Clericus Geekicus

Certainly not slipping around on the phone. Very solid. It is more reflective outside.
Old March 29th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigmd99 View Post
I know that i am in the minority with this...but that protector does not look good on the phone. I am sure that it is of good quality, but the 4 corners of the screen looks like crap...the glass seems too thick. It does not "disappear" like what you get with high quality plastic protectors. For me, a protector must be invisible AND protective.

I am not using a protector on my N2...first time i am going naked. But, i rather get PET protector than this glass product...simply from aesthetic point of view.

Thanks Twist for the review...always informative!
You are not in minority. Its a valid comment. When it comes to Note 2, I think case is a must have accessory, while screen protector IMHO is a need to have accessory. Fortunately, there are different options and price ranges for each. Tempered glass is NOT for everybody. You know I'm not trying to sell it in the forum I just had a great opportunity to review it and to give you my honest opinion about it. It is a very pricey accessory and I know some might argue about cheaper alternatives (glass ones). I haven't tested any other tempered glass options, so can't comment from a first hand experience. But I do know is that I read A LOT of on-line comments with complains about non-sticking edges and bubbles that don't go away with other glass screen protectors. If you decide to go with this "luxury" option of screen protection, just do your homework. Hopefully I provided enough review material to answer all the questions about this particular product.

Regarding your comments about VITREO itself. I tried to zoom and focus as best as I can with pictures, so obviously glass part look gigantic but put it in perspective with proportion of the phone. It looks worse in a zoomed in picture than it actually is and step transition is very smooth. Now that I think more about it, I actually realized that having width of the glass itself almost exactly as the width of visible display lcd part - is to it's advantage. It would look really weird if the edge would end in the middle of white bezel part of the screen where you will see the edge. Having glass edge right at the border of white bezel and black LCD part is very clean. I don't think tempered glass is a novelty accessory, but like I mentioned before - its NOT for everybody. So if you decide to go with, I think this glass offers a better design, quality, and installation than others.

Btw, thanks to everybody for positive feedback about my reviews. It does take a chunk of my time to put together, but at the end I'm happy I can help others even if you just enjoyed looking at the pictures
DonB likes this.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to twister6 For This Useful Post:
DonB (May 2nd, 2013), NeoGrandizer (March 30th, 2013), PiscesCloud (April 24th, 2013), TheOtherBill (March 31st, 2013), tigmd99 (March 30th, 2013)
Old March 29th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,921 Posts

For that price, wouldn't the MIME be better value?

Galaxy Note 2 Ghost Glass Tempered Glass Screen Protector MIME USA
Old March 29th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
For that price, wouldn't the MIME be better value?

Galaxy Note 2 Ghost Glass Tempered Glass Screen Protector MIME USA
I knew this question will come up, drex Well, there is 18-page thread in XDA on MIME glass with a lot of complaints about edges not sticking and people still having bubbles that don't go away weeks after install. They have also threads about other brands with similar issues. I never installed MIME so can't comment about it from first hand experience, but reading those on-line reviews and looking at the pictures people posted, I can tell you with certainty it will be a cheaper value but not a better value. Indeed, this is a lot of money to spend for a screen protector. So if you decide to invest in tempered glass, do your homework by reading all the on-line reviews and comments, please
DonB and drexappeal like this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twister6 For This Useful Post:
DonB (May 2nd, 2013), drexappeal (March 29th, 2013), NeoGrandizer (March 30th, 2013)
Old March 29th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
I knew this question will come up, drex Well, there is 18-page thread in XDA on MIME glass with a lot of complaints about edges not sticking and people still having bubbles that don't go away weeks after install. They have also threads about other brands with similar issues. I never installed MIME so can't comment about it from first hand experience, but reading those on-line reviews and looking at the pictures people posted, I can tell you with certainty it will be a cheaper value but not a better value. Indeed, this is a lot of money to spend for a screen protector. So if you decide to invest in tempered glass, do your homework by reading all the on-line reviews and comments, please
Thanks for that tidbit of info. I'm sure it'll help people when they make a decision on purchasing.

Don't really intend to buy either, right now (maybe later down the line for my International Note 2. I mainly asked that question because I remembered the MIME version being cheaper. Obviously, there is a little history of complaint about that one, so good that you brought that up. Keep us posted on how this one holds up after a while.
sponsored links
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanks Twister for this informative review. I had the Spigen glas.t with my original Note. Even with 8H rating, I still managed to scratch the screen. LOL. But it was barely noticeable. Once I scrounge enough funds I will be looking into this.

I have been looking for a tempered glass protector since day 1 I had my Note 2. Never got one because of the negative stuff I've been reading about them. This might be the first one I will seriously consider.

Twister, do you notice any input issues with it so far? Touch response, S Pen input? The glas.t did have some minor issue with response and lag. But not considerable on the original Note.

TIA.
Old March 30th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoGrandizer View Post
Thanks Twister for this informative review. I had the Spigen glas.t with my original Note. Even with 8H rating, I still managed to scratch the screen. LOL. But it was barely noticeable. Once I scrounge enough funds I will be looking into this.

I have been looking for a tempered glass protector since day 1 I had my Note 2. Never got one because of the negative stuff I've been reading about them. This might be the first one I will seriously consider.

Twister, do you notice any input issues with it so far? Touch response, S Pen input? The glas.t did have some minor issue with response and lag. But not considerable on the original Note.

TIA.
No input issues. If it wouldn't be for the edge of the glass, I wouldn't even know I have anything on. It's a pure glass experience, no reduction in sensitive, and crystal clear view. It's even slippery like a real glass, something I'm noticing after using PET screen protector for the last 4 months (which had some plasticy feeling). The only negative so far, if you can even consider that as negative, you get more reflection outside than with screen protector. But again, it's a pure property of the glass.

Honestly, I was a little skeptical when I received this review sample from Seidio. To my surprise, this was the fastest and the easiest install (in comparison to all the numerous dry installs I've done in the past), and I'm very pleased with end result. As I mentioned before, this is not one of those absolutely-must-have accessories because its pricey and some might not want a thick glass layer on top of original glass. But if you are considering investing into tempered glass protector - this is definitely a top choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to twister6 For This Useful Post:
NeoGrandizer (March 31st, 2013)
Old March 31st, 2013, 07:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanks for the reply Twister.

The lag and input issue I have wasn't the glass itself on the Spigen. It had more to deal with the type of adhesive used which could cause interference. Which is probably why Spigen never released a Note 2 version of the Glas.t. But the issue on the Note was minor.

It looks like Seido overcame most of the issues plagued with previous tempered glass protectors from other manufacturers. Good to know.

Thanks again!
Old April 24th, 2013, 07:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Clericus Geekicus

After using this screen protector for about a month I can say I really like it. Besides the protection issues, it feels and looks so much better. In my experience it doesn't take that long for any plastic screen protector to start to show wear and feel less like the glass.
DonB and twister6 like this.
Old April 24th, 2013, 09:37 AM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s): Instinct>EVO>EPIC>Note2 SGT10.1, HPTP

Interesting. This is actually my first time seeing glass protection with glass (tempered). Probably because I like my previous phones naked so haven't really looked much into screen protection or case. I do currently have the Spigen Oleopobic version on right now because the screen real estate on this thing is huge and I might not be able to keep it from being scratched as with my previous phones. The Spigen is shaped similar to yours. Where I can feel the lip when swiping about the edges, which is kind of annoying and I have a feeling the thicker glass version will annoys me even more so.

Good to know though, just in case I want to go this route in the future. Thanks.
Old April 24th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: T-Mobile

I love the look of this screen protector. If I had a Verizon phone, I would consider the thickness it adds to be a bonus enabling me to use a home button sticker to cover up that logo.
Old April 24th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Desire Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Hits Mobile P.A.Y.G

I keep my Note 2 in a case have never used screen protectors all I want is an anti-glare glass so you can see the screen more so when taking a photo or video absolute rubbish in bright sunshine
Old April 24th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonetwo View Post
I love the look of this screen protector. If I had a Verizon phone, I would consider the thickness it adds to be a bonus enabling me to use a home button sticker to cover up that logo.
That was my original plan, to get either Spigen or MIME home button sticker. But after a short awhile of using it I really started to dig recessed feeling of the home button. Vitreo is smooth like a real glass, and when you slide your finger - it goes right into that pocket. I put that screen protector through A LOT of abuse, and it's still like brand new. Also minimum fingerprint accumulation, and whatever I get some - wipes out with a finger, don't even need a wiping cloth.

For those who are annoyed with a glare, probably not the best choice since we are talking about crystal clear glass.
Old May 1st, 2013, 12:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Clericus Geekicus

You're right though it's So smooth. I love it.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:28 AM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s): LG G FLEX
Carrier: T-Mobile

hey Vectron,(I mean "twister"), I dont know if you mentioned anywhere, what is the smudge factor with this protector?
do fingerprints/face smears/smudges show up everytime you touch it?
having to wipe it off several times a day would be a PITA..

Thanks!
sponsored links
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:55 AM   #21 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
hey Vectron,(I mean "twister"), I dont know if you mentioned anywhere, what is the smudge factor with this protector?
do fingerprints/face smears/smudges show up everytime you touch it?
having to wipe it off several times a day would be a PITA..

Thanks!
Yeah, yeah, been "twister" all my life until that mistake of registering on XDA as "vectron" just to PM someone with a question without thinking I will come back a year later to start posting like crazy in two different forums under two different names, except on AF I get a respect of my summary post "sticky" Not everybody have the same forum name and memorable avatar, wase

So you asked me a question, and I'm sitting now at work wiping my phone screen across my face to see how bad it gets. People here already think I'm nuts showcasing every week a new case or a new accessory, now I think they will put me in a straitjacket

But anyway, just like with any glass you will get fingerprints or oil marks, but its far less than with a regular PET screen protector. What sets this apart is how easy it wipes off without even a need for a cleaning cloth. It's part of oleophobic nature of this glass. With screen protectors oil/fingerprints just get smudged around because that craps bonds to the plastic. With this glass as you swipe it - it bonds to your finger. I mean, there are some extreme cases when my 5 year old grabs the phone and I have to use a cleaning cloth, but in everyday use if/when I see smudges on the screen I just swipe my finger and its GONE! Oh, and swiping the finger on this glass is probably smoother than original Note 2 screen glass. Also, its amazing of how strong this glass it. Now since I'm using Zerolemon with their TPU case, my Vitreo is on the same level as lip of that tpu case. So putting the screen down on a surface often means direct contact with tempered glass, and I'm very pleased of how strong and scratch proof this screen protector has been!
Last edited by twister6; May 2nd, 2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 05:01 PM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s):

Don't you think it would have been better to have the glass cover the entire front of the phone (besides the speaker grill)? I remember watching a video review of a glass SP for the Galaxy Nexus that covered the entire front of the phone, like a second layer, edge to edge.

Here it is...

It looks like the Seidio SP has beveled edges, which is cool, but to me it'd make more sense to go edge to edge.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyer View Post
Don't you think it would have been better to have the glass cover the entire front of the phone (besides the speaker grill)? I remember watching a video review of a glass SP for the Galaxy Nexus that covered the entire front of the phone, like a second layer, edge to edge.

Here it is...

It looks like the Seidio SP has beveled edges, which is cool, but to me it'd make more sense to go edge to edge.
I was kinda hoping that this would be the design for the Note 2, since the MEME version for the S3 is the same as the Nexus, where they created a bezel as well.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyer View Post

Here it is...

The problem is that Note 2 screen is curved toward the edge. When you have a flexible plastic screen protector it will bend and stick to the surface. But when you are dealing with a thick piece of tempered glass, it will not bend at the edges and will not stick in there. That is a main complain with MIME and other tempered glass manufacturers. Seidio did their homework and found that cutout to be the most optimal shape for all edges to stick properly. As a matter of fact, I recently heard MIME had to redesign their glass and will be coming out with a new version.
Old May 11th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #25 (permalink)

Device(s):

I just wanted to say thanks for an excellent review and all of the helpful comments. The original screen saver I've had on my Note 2 for about 5 months is ready to be replaced and I think this is what I'm going to go with.
Old May 28th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #26 (permalink)

Device(s):

I received the new design from mime a week ago, and its not what I want, its more flexible to stick better but feels like plexiglas or plastic, I emailed them about it since it was a replacement i thought it would be an improvement,but no response yet...
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #27 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt, LG Spectrum, Galaxy Note 2 Galaxy Note 3

I bought the Seidio Vitreo screen cover and I'm very pleased with it..
whitecollar likes this.
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #28 (permalink)

Device(s):

Ugh I would LOVE to get one of these but I absolutely suck at putting these things on. Always get a dust speck or two, even after trying the steam room way.

Any idea of a place that "professionally" installs these things?
Old June 20th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #29 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralNovice View Post
Ugh I would LOVE to get one of these but I absolutely suck at putting these things on. Always get a dust speck or two, even after trying the steam room way.

Any idea of a place that "professionally" installs these things?
BestBuy would be a good start. Also, Verizon store does it as well.
Old June 20th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #30 (permalink)

Device(s): verizon samsung nexus
Carrier: verizon

i received a Mime replacement --free. they read my posts and offerred their newer model which is cut covering less surface to end some of the original mime protectors problems with the note II's curved screen. the mime is not perfect. i am slo a crappy installer. i prefer the mime II to the one:
-no bubbling about the edges and on the bottom
- the bottom around the buttom is a clean install that has not bubbled after a fewe months

i will not claim perfection, but part of the few bubbles is likely my fault. i aM HAPPY AND WOULD PURCHASE AGAIN. THE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THE VERY BEST!!

I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH THE SEIDIO AND NOT COMMENTS TO MAKE ONE WAY NOR THE OTHER. I HAVE OWNED SEIDIO PRODUCES AND THEY ALWAYS WORKED VERY WELL AND LOOKED GREAT.
sponsored links
Old September 3rd, 2013, 12:13 PM   #31 (permalink)

Device(s):

Finally available in Canada (through Amazon). $50 Cdn after taxes with 2 day shipping. Better than going through Seidio's online store and paying $58 US with international shipping.

Now have to figure out the best way to apply the protector. Might use the scotch tape hinge/door method for this one (for screen alignment). Doesn't sound like it's application is as simple as the Spigen Glas.t (which was place the protector on top of the screen and press the centre; it then adheres to the screen on its own).

Gotta love scotch tape and screens. It's the ultimate friend in getting out those hard to get specks of dust.

Wish me luck with this one. This would be my second time applying a tempered glass protector.
twister6 likes this.
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #32 (permalink)

Device(s):

Well, I got the protector today and tried installing it. It was a total PITA! Not sure if it was sitting in their stock for awhile but the protective film on it was literally glued to the adhesive. It did not come off easily and took quite a bit of force just to remove it. And of course, it slips out of my hand while handling and falls on the table. Adhesive side down, but angled. Still enough to attract the dust and fur floating around.

Scotch tape! Unfortunately, I was also pressed for time and had to do a rush job install. Couldn't get all the specks out and have quite a number under the glass protector. Had 2 large air pockets on the left side of the screen. But it slowly went away after a few hours.

Some of the edges have not adhered and do show some minute bubbling. Hopefully it will resolve or not cause issues. The dust specks under the screen are not noticeable even with the screen on unless you are looking hard for them (which is what I was doing). Flashlight shining on the screen at an angle, then having a the screen backlit pure white at the highest setting.

Definitely a nice protector. But Spigen had a way better method of installation and application. I'm tempted to pry it off again and try again, but not too inclined. It's okay the way it is and the specks are not noticeable and don't bother me. A little off on the install but again, not real bothersome to me.

Edit: Just a shot of my work. Still an amateur with tempered glass protectors...
Last edited by NeoGrandizer; September 4th, 2013 at 11:41 PM.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2