Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 7th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Do you need a screen protector?

Do you need a screen protector if you are careful? I took the last one off my old phone and never looked back or got a scratch. Any other advantages of them?

sponsored links
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):

I have one and a weird one on an otterbox case. I don't like the otterbox case one since there is a layer of air in between the screen and the protector. I wouldn't mind it if it was just the screen protector though.
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Note 2
Carrier: verizon

I never had a screen protector until I noticed I had a scratch on my Note, then a week later I cracked the screen in half. Needless to say, I now have a screen protector and a case with a cover.
Old April 7th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2
Carrier: V

The main point of screen protector is to protect from scratches. Doesn't matter how much you read about Gorilla Glass 2, there is still a possibility to get small hairline scratches. If you are careful and have a case with a decent bumper lip (to keep the phone screen off the surface face down) or use one of the flip cases to reassure that in your pocket it wont rub against anything - you can get away with it, but still you are taking your chances. On the other hand, having a cheap ebay screen protector can ruin your phone experience with rainbow effects and marks left by s-pen. So you better go with something more premium if you decide to go with sp (like products from iSmooth or Spigen). You can even go one step further with impact resistance 9H hardness tempered glass, but that is a pricy option. Also, keep in mind that in a year or two when you ready to move on to another phone and want to sell yours - having mint condition no scratch phone makes a big difference. I just sold both of my ancient Droid X and Fascinate over a month ago on Amazon - just peeled off screen protector and took off tpu case, and they were like brand new, a bonus that helps you sell it faster and at top price... Just a food for thought.

Complete List of all smartphone and tablet Accessory and Gadget REVIEWS by Twister => HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old April 7th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II , HTC EVO V 4g (Rooted S-OFF CM10.1)(Retired) iPad 4 32G
Carrier: T-Mobile

Yes or else
Old April 7th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Send a message via Yahoo to pool_shark

I bought a screen protector for the Note 2 just in case something happened with the s-pen, a chip, jagged edge, etc.

Prior to this I hadn't used a screen protector in several years. I didn't use one on my Nexus, Droid X, or Droid 2.
Old April 7th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2 White
Carrier: Sprint

Have always used one. Not now worth Note 2. I do have a case with belt holster.
Old April 7th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):

I always start off with one... But then they piss me off when they start peeling or bubbling ao i jist rip it off and forget about it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Old April 7th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Verizon - Samsung Galaxy Note 2

I have never used a screen protector and never will. Yes, I put my phone in my pocket, but I have never had a scratch on my phone because of that.
Old April 8th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s):

Screen protectors will be dependent on the user. It's hard to say as each individual is different. Also dependent on working factors and how exposed to real damage your device can get into. I need a protector and case on my Note 2 only because of the environmental factors I work in that can cause it to break very easily.

Exposed shelves, drawers, etc. I've hit some sharp corners where my pants were fine, but still managed to cut myself underneath and draw some blood or bruised nicely. Again, dependent on how risky your settings are and how exposed to those risks your device will be. Mine is more of a must because of this.
sponsored links
Old April 8th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Note II, had HTC Flyer and Nexus 4

The thing I like about my screen protector (boxwave) is how clean it stays. Some times it will get what looks like an oil smug on it or some dust and I just wipe it off with my shirt, a micro cloth or even the side of my hand and it is good as new.
Linux user #449322 running Linux Mint 14 KDE
Old April 8th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s): BAMF, Sense 3 RC3... DreamKernel-2.2.2Beta-SENSE... waiting for my turn to brick.

Only takes one drop to be convinced that a screen protector and case are a good investment.
Old April 9th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: T-Mobile

I had a screen protector on for 2 months before I removed it to install a fresh one. Once I removed it I noticed what I've been missing. It was like looking at an HD screen for the first time all over again. I've never been in the habit of having screen protectors on but since the note 2 is the first phone I've ever made the habit of tossing in my pants pockets, I put the screen protector on. That said, I don't use them anymore on my phone, I paid good money and I'm not going to punish myself by viewing crappy images thanks to the SP. I'd rather have a scratch on my screen.
Old April 9th, 2013, 02:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s):

No you dont need one, but I use one.

Simples
Old April 9th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybear2013 View Post
Do you need a screen protector if you are careful? I took the last one off my old phone and never looked back or got a scratch. Any other advantages of them?
Some people swear by them and for good reason.
Personally I think screen protectors are overrated and hyped up due to forums and the "scare" going without one induces.

I've had my Note 2 since launch day and a screen protector was placed on it by the sales associate.
A few days later I put a Spigen protector on it which developed a tear so I took it off and haven't regretted doing so.
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
Some people swear by them and for good reason.
Personally I think screen protectors are overrated and hyped up due to forums and the "scare" going without one induces.
I'm an old timer and used all those plastic screens before gorilla glass started appearing. Screens have gotten better since then, but I still use protectors. The scratches developed on a screen are not a pretty sight. Quite ghastly. Also know what a 'stylus' is capable of doing to a naked screen regardless. I've scratched lots of screens in the past. Even with a glas.t with an 8H rating, I still managed to scratch it (although barely noticeable).

With the Note 2, I've already got some barely noticeable scratches on the screen protector as well. Hopefully it'll last until I can scrounge enough for the Seidio tempered glass protector. As I said, it's mostly because of my environment and surroundings. It's what you call a harsh environment for the phone.
Old April 10th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
The main point of screen protector is to protect from scratches. Doesn't matter how much you read about Gorilla Glass 2, there is still a possibility to get small hairline scratches. If you are careful and have a case with a decent bumper lip (to keep the phone screen off the surface face down) or use one of the flip cases to reassure that in your pocket it wont rub against anything - you can get away with it, but still you are taking your chances. On the other hand, having a cheap ebay screen protector can ruin your phone experience with rainbow effects and marks left by s-pen. So you better go with something more premium if you decide to go with sp (like products from iSmooth or Spigen). You can even go one step further with impact resistance 9H hardness tempered glass, but that is a pricy option. Also, keep in mind that in a year or two when you ready to move on to another phone and want to sell yours - having mint condition no scratch phone makes a big difference. I just sold both of my ancient Droid X and Fascinate over a month ago on Amazon - just peeled off screen protector and took off tpu case, and they were like brand new, a bonus that helps you sell it faster and at top price... Just a food for thought.
Very helpful and thoughtful - thank you
Old April 10th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Appreciate all your replies. Lot's of different views which make interesting reading. Thank you

Any more recommendations on which ones work well?
Last edited by Teddybear2013; April 10th, 2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old April 11th, 2013, 04:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s):

A screen protector also reduces the chances of an accidental drop if it means you can be a bit less carfull with the screen for normal handling. The most secure way to hold the phone going in and out of a pocket is with thumb and forefinger on the flat sides instead of trying to hold the edges. I'm also willing to clean the screen more often with less worry about scratching the screen. (My favorite cleaner is plaskolite plastic cleaner. I've use it on computer screens for years and it does a nice job on the screen protector.)
Old April 11th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2 Amber Brown, Galaxy Note 3 Jet Black
Carrier: EE, but sim free

I had a near disaster a while back while plugging my charger in and being in a tired state nearly dropping my phone the end of the charger caught the screen and made a nasty 1" scratch. My heart skipped a beat, I peeled off my SP and it was fine.
Since then, no nakedness!
sponsored links
Old April 12th, 2013, 07:57 AM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy Note 10.1

I have always used screen protectors on my phones.

When I bought my Note 2 new, I immediately put a screen protector on the screen. I think I just bought the one from the TMobile store. It was nice and a I never had problems with it.

After having problems with my Note 2, I got a replacement from TMobile. I had an extra screen protector laying around so put it on my new phone. I had problems putting it on nicely, couldn't get dust and bubbles out. I decided to not use a screen protector after that. I can honestly day, I don't miss it and I don't think the phone needs one.
Old April 12th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2 White
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigmd99 View Post
Have always used one. Not now with Note 2. I do have a case with belt holster.
Hate to quote myself...but i now have small pittings on my screen! Actually, it was my fault...i dropped my phone face first onto my tile floor. I have the Platinum Best Buy case (Seidio Surface case). Maybe it hit the edge of the tiles or something, but my screen contacted the floor (despite the lip of the case). No cracks, just small pits on the screen in one area.

I hate scratches. So, i have ordered Spigen Ultra Oleophobic protector to hopefully cover up (or fill in) the pits to make my eyes feel better.
Old April 12th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s): Evo

Rough way to learn.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2