Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Like Tree10Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): iPhone 4s 16GB iPod Touch 4g 32GB iPad 3g 16GB Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Send a message via Skype™ to seanclarkuk
Default Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Dead (Not powering on)

Hi there,

My dad owns a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and two nights ago, he put it on charge before he went to bed and woke up at 4 am and found the phone to be completely dead. The phone will not do anything, the LED doesn't even blink when the power button is pressed. The battery has been removed and placed back and still no differences. It is strange how it works one day and then doesn't work the next day. I was reading a similar thread on this forum to see if anyone had come up with a solution about this as it needs desperately needs to be fixed because of the data and contacts still remain on the phone.

I was also reading another forum and someone stated that Samsung said that the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and the Samsung Galaxy S3 die out after 90 - 150 days and the phone is just three months old. I don't know if this fact is true or not.

It would be really appreciated if anyone could help with this problem and I don't know whether if a new battery would help but a new battery has been ordered so should either arrive tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Sean

Advertisements
Last edited by seanclarkuk; April 11th, 2013 at 01:15 PM.
sponsored links
Old April 8th, 2013, 06:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™

Device(s): Moto X 16 GB Cricket Wireless®/ Stock Galaxy Note 10.1 ®
Carrier: Crickets Wireless ®

Thanked 7,080 Times in 4,173 Posts

Testing with a new battery would be a start, stop in a TM Store and have them check the battery, if it is the battery the phone should still be under warranty and they should replace the battery. Other then that I am not sure what else it could be, but the store tech should be able to diagnose it once you bring it in. let us know what happens, I am sure others will chime in.

Site Rules/Guidelines
If something needs attention, Report it .
If someone helped you, hit to show it.

CRICKET Referral Program Bonus $ PM me if you need a referral

Old April 8th, 2013, 06:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2 White
Carrier: Sprint

Isn't the motherboard problem isolated to GS3 ONLY?
Old April 8th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
Testing with a new battery would be a start, stop in a TM Store and have them check the battery, if it is the battery the phone should still be under warranty and they should replace the battery. Other then that I am not sure what else it could be, but the store tech should be able to diagnose it once you bring it in. let us know what happens, I am sure others will chime in.
Thank you for you quick response. Just waiting for the battery to arrive and test if the old battery has been fried or not. What would the next step be if the new battery doesn't work ? Any suggestions what I can do about this ? We have tried multiple USB cables and chargers and nothing, the phone is completely dead.
Old April 8th, 2013, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™

If it is not the battery, I would take it in the a TM store and have them look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanclarkuk View Post
Thank you for you quick response. Just waiting for the battery to arrive and test if the old battery has been fried or not. What would the next step be if the new battery doesn't work ? Any suggestions what I can do about this ? We have tried multiple USB cables and chargers and nothing, the phone is completely dead.
Old April 9th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

The replacement battery arrived this morning and didn't work. I got an LED bulb with wires and connected it to the original battery and it still has juice in the battery so looks like it is the phone.

Phoned Samsung customer support and they said that they would arrange for a courier to come and collect the phone this Thursday and keep it for 7 - 10 days but the data can't be recovered. I think the motherboard has been fried but there is no burning smell coming from the phone itself so I don't know.
Old April 9th, 2013, 11:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2 White

Well, I guess that the motherboard issue is not isolated to GS3 afterall.... Well, hopefully, my phone was made after Samsung corrected the firmware issue related to motherboard failure.
Old April 9th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
THE WORLD IS YOURS

Device(s): LG G Flex /Galaxy note 3 /Galaxy s4/GSM

Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,064 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to mrpnut mrpnut310@gmail.com

Quote:
The replacement battery arrived this morning and didn't work. I got an LED bulb with wires and connected it to the original battery and it still has juice in the battery so looks like it is the phone.

Phoned Samsung customer support and they said that they would arrange for a courier to come and collect the phone this Thursday and keep it for 7 - 10 days but the data can't be recovered. I think the motherboard has been fried but there is no burning smell coming from the phone itself so I don't know.
Sorry to hear about your dad's phone, have you tryed plugging your phone into a pc to see if it recognized the phone?

Old April 9th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpnut View Post
Sorry to hear about your dad's phone, have you tryed plugging your phone into a pc to see if it recognized the phone?
I tried plugging it into a computer and it's not recognized at all. It's just basically a dead device. It does nothing, it doesn't charge at all. It's completely useless right now.
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

I had the same issue about a month ago. . Same circumstances too. . Plugged it in one night. . And in the morning was dead. ...

Except my Led was flashing.. That was the only sign of life though. . Ended up as being a motherboard Replacement..

(Touch wood).. No issues since...
sponsored links
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™

Why not take it back to the carrier, sending it back to Samsung, you are out of a phone for 7 to 10 days now ??

Quote:

The Following User Says Thank You to DonB For This Useful Post:
mrpnut (April 9th, 2013)
Old April 9th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Sorry that happened.
I'd definitely take it back to place of purchase before opting to send it off to Samsung.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScandaLeX For This Useful Post:
mrpnut (April 9th, 2013)
Old April 9th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erry View Post
I had the same issue about a month ago. . Same circumstances too. . Plugged it in one night. . And in the morning was dead. ...

Except my Led was flashing.. That was the only sign of life though. . Ended up as being a motherboard Replacement..

Well it was 4am in the morning and the phone was just dead, no red LED flashing or nothing. Well the data can not be backed up so all contacts and media is gone.
Old April 9th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
THE WORLD IS YOURS

Device(s): LG G Flex /Galaxy note 3 /Galaxy s4/GSM

Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,064 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to mrpnut mrpnut310@gmail.com

Quote:
Well it was 4am in the morning and the phone was just dead, no red LED flashing or nothing. Well the data can not be backed up so all contacts and media is gone.
If he had he's contacts sync with his gmail he should have any problems with his contacts and his media should be on his sd card. Once he gets a new device and he signs in his gmail all his contacts would sync to his new device.
Old April 10th, 2013, 07:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Well I'm not sure if his contacts were synced to his Gmail account and there was no micro SD card in the phone. I will ask when I get home from college.
Old April 25th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II HTC One
Carrier: AT&T

bb1fit

Well, more bad news from the note 2 front. Mine did exactly the same thing. Working one minute, the next completely dead. Will do nothing. Checked the battery, good, and for grins replaced it with a friends battery to no avail. I did notice the prior couple weeks seemed to be rebooting on its own. Unfortunate, as I was really banging my prior Iphones as to how much cooler the Samsung is. However, I never experienced one problem with my 'other' phones. Since a phone should first off be a phone, this is priority. Yes, I had my contacts backed up, had an external 32gig card in it for storage, so thankfully have most of my music, etc. But again, not much use for making calls now, is it.
Old April 26th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

@fit Did you take it in to your carrier?
Old April 26th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigmd99 View Post
Well, I guess that the motherboard issue is not isolated to GS3 afterall.... Well, hopefully, my phone was made after Samsung corrected the firmware issue related to motherboard failure.
I once found a post on xda that gave chip and firmware numbers of some affected parts in the Note 2. I tried finding this again but couldn't.

If you can find these numbers anywhere (xda or maybe Google) you can download 'emmc check' from the play store to see if your phone has the affected parts.
Old April 26th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s):

Oh and for what it's worth, my phone reboots itself every few days, but apparently I don't have the affected chips. I guess this must be down to another reason.
Funny thing is, I ended up with a Note 2 because my GS3 died exactly as mentioned above.
Old April 27th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Dead Phone

Hope this helps. Woke up one morning to a dead phone. Ended up taking the battery out, the sim card and the memory card. Then per suggestion on another forum, put JUST the battery in. Plugged into wall charger and within 2 minutes had animated charging battery. Let it charge for couple hours. Shut it down and reinstalled the sim card and memory card. Plugged it back in and it fully charged and has been fine since. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to mdaigt For This Useful Post:
kem52 (December 22nd, 2013)
sponsored links
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #21 (permalink)

bb1fit
Default Wish I could

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
@fit Did you take it in to your carrier?
Well, that would be ideal. Unfortunately for those of us who travel abroad for long stretches of time this is not possible. I am in Australia and will be here for another month. Of course my warranty will run out. I will buy another phone, but the most difficult thing is the loss of communication link with home. Sure there are computers, skype, all that stuff. But not like having your phone. It becomes such a personalized device.
ScandaLeX likes this.
Old April 29th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #22 (permalink)

bb1fit
Default Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaigt View Post
Hope this helps. Woke up one morning to a dead phone. Ended up taking the battery out, the sim card and the memory card. Then per suggestion on another forum, put JUST the battery in. Plugged into wall charger and within 2 minutes had animated charging battery. Let it charge for couple hours. Shut it down and reinstalled the sim card and memory card. Plugged it back in and it fully charged and has been fine since. Good luck.

I have tried everything I could think of. I am trying this now, sure I have but at this point anything is worth the try. It is disconcerting to say the least, traveling being away from home extended periods of time, we rely so heavily these days on our phones. Though I had much backed up to my storage card, this does not make up for the loss of touch with home. Also many of us are now creatures of being tied to our phones, probably very few to noone memorizes addresses, phone numbers of new acquaintences, (or at least ones we don't visit much but need to periodically), notes to yourself you may have made that are no longer there, etc. Noone expects a basically brand new phone to crap out. Many thanks for your input, and I will certainly post any 'results'.
Old April 29th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #23 (permalink)

bb1fit

At the risk of 'whining' here, (by the way I am), I definitely have to change my rating of this phone to a 1 star. In fact a do not consider buying. I will certainly get another phone, but I think it is safe to say I will shy away from Samsung. Having been in the electronic/computer business myself for many years, quality is paramount. Any phone that craps out within a couple months is far from quality. (apparantely I am far from the first one this has happened to). I travel the world in my occupation, certainly have quite a few colleagues. I will do my best to any of them who will listen to convey not to make the same mistake, take a look at other phones.
Old April 30th, 2013, 04:03 PM   #24 (permalink)

Device(s):

Humm.. not sure I agree with the above. I have had so many electronics just die. From a nokia to iphone from an macbook to dell even my bosch diswasher. It's how the warranty is dealt with that I am concerned with.

So far I have had a note 2 die within 6 months but I am on note number 2 and I will see how this lasts. If this to dies then I will be inclined to agree with you..

But millions of these have been sold with very few issues.
Last edited by just123; May 1st, 2013 at 05:12 AM.
Old May 1st, 2013, 10:15 PM   #25 (permalink)

bb1fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by just123 View Post
Humm.. not sure I agree with the above. I have had so many electronics just die. From a nokia to iphone from an macbook to dell even my bosch diswasher. It's how the warranty is dealt with that I am concerned with.

So far I have had a note 2 die within 6 months but I am on note number 2 and I will see how this lasts. If this to dies then I will be inclined to agree with you..

But millions of these have been sold with very few issues.
Well, I agree with you a bit in your principal statement. We could all talk about bad devices Many devices (there are lemons in every line of product) give us fits, however I believe if we get one of these tendancy would be to shy away or at least look at other products. I would venture to guess reliability is pretty high on everyones list, after they get past all the bells and whistles offered.

You are definitely right, millions have been sold with very few issues. On the other hand you usually don't know about the 'issues' others have until you have it and seek help, then the 'issues' come to a bigger light. I don't care what anyone says, no brand new phone should peter out in a month or two. I may well buy another Samsung, but it should be said I am doing many comparisons with other manufacturers at this point.
The Following User Says Thank You to bb1fit For This Useful Post:
ScandaLeX (May 2nd, 2013)
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:18 AM   #26 (permalink)
♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™

Keep in mind, no matter what device you purchase, there will always be a handful that have issues, it is the nature of the beast. If you check this forum and many others, you will see there are more happy campers then unhappy ones when it comes to Samsung. Being an HTC owner for many years and finally deciding to test out Samsung, I am pleasantly impressed. I will also tell you I have had a small share of issues with HTC, and I am sure along the line I will most likely have some with Samsung, these are electronics and they are bound to have their share of issues. With that being said, I am sorry about your issues, and hope you don't allow this experience be the corner stone of your image on Samsung or the Note II
ScandaLeX and Ahmedae like this.
Last edited by DonB; May 16th, 2013 at 10:13 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DonB For This Useful Post:
ScandaLeX (May 2nd, 2013)
Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:12 AM   #27 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1fit View Post
Well, I agree with you a bit in your principal statement. We could all talk about bad devices Many devices (there are lemons in every line of product) give us fits, however I believe if we get one of these tendancy would be to shy away or at least look at other products. I would venture to guess reliability is pretty high on everyones list, after they get past all the bells and whistles offered.

You are definitely right, millions have been sold with very few issues. On the other hand you usually don't know about the 'issues' others have until you have it and seek help, then the 'issues' come to a bigger light. I don't care what anyone says, no brand new phone should peter out in a month or two. I may well buy another Samsung, but it should be said I am doing many comparisons with other manufacturers at this point.
Like DonB said, every model of phone will have a few defective models. They're bound to with millions of units being produced.

I had to return my old HTC within 6 months of getting it, my wife had to have her Sony Xperia replaced and an LG phone several years previously, my friend is on his third iPhone 5 etc etc Don't let it put you off Samsung specifically, defective models aren't confined to them.
ScandaLeX likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to womb raider For This Useful Post:
DonB (May 2nd, 2013)
Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:29 PM   #28 (permalink)

bb1fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
Keep in mind, not matter what device you purchase, there will always be a handful that have issues, it is the nature of the beast. If you check this forum and many others, you will see there are more happy campers then unhappy ones when it comes to Samsung. Being an HTC owner for many years and finally deciding to test out Samsung, I am pleasantly impressed. I will also tell you I have had a small share of issues with HTC, and I am sure along the line I will most likely have some with Samsung, these are electronics and they are bound to have their share of issues. With that being said, I am sorry about your issues, and hope you don't allow this experience,be the corner stone of your image on Samsung or the Note II
No doubt what you say is fact. Somehow it doesn't seem to mitigate the personal implication of being away from home thousands of miles and having a home tie cut (one thing to have a phone die and you can take it right back to where you bought it, though even this is not ideal, but it is quite another to not have that option). Add this to the fact that it was a brand new phone, and 'reactions' take over. Again, I may well purchase another Samsung, but I would be remiss if I did not mention that I am indeed comparing other phones diligently.

Not to mention that if I do buy another Samsung, and I am again out of the country (which I will be), there will always be that 'fear factor' that I will pick up the phone one day to use it and it will be dead.
Last edited by bb1fit; May 2nd, 2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old May 4th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #29 (permalink)

Device(s):

Hi all, I had a very similar problem, except the phone was not charging. Just picked it up and it was dead, tried charging it via outlet and USB, nothing. Hooked it up via USB to my computer, to see if it would find the files - nothing. It's a galaxy note 1, GT-N7000 which I bought in Hong Kong, so the US website didnot have the model number. Spent some time looking thru the forums here, no joy, but I found a solution that worked on the Samsung UK site:
If your phone freezes or suddenly ends a call, you may need to close all programs (applications) and reboot the phone to regain functionality:
1.Press and hold the Volume button up and the button simultaneously for 8 - 10 seconds.
2.The phone will reboot automatically.

Yea! this worked for me. It goes on to say:

If this does not solve the problem, perform a factory data reset:
1.In Idle mode, open the application list and select Settings > Privacy > Factory data reset > Reset phone > Erase everything.
2.When the phone is turned off, simultaneously press the Volume button up and down, and then press .
3.When an exclamation mark appears, press the Home button to reboot.

I didn't see this anywhere here in the forum, so I hope it helps someone. Cheers!
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #30 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by welred View Post
Hi all, I had a very similar problem, except the phone was not charging. Just picked it up and it was dead, tried charging it via outlet and USB, nothing. Hooked it up via USB to my computer, to see if it would find the files - nothing. It's a galaxy note 1, GT-N7000 which I bought in Hong Kong, so the US website didnot have the model number. Spent some time looking thru the forums here, no joy, but I found a solution that worked on the Samsung UK site:
If your phone freezes or suddenly ends a call, you may need to close all programs (applications) and reboot the phone to regain functionality:
1.Press and hold the Volume button up and the button simultaneously for 8 - 10 seconds.
2.The phone will reboot automatically.

Yea! this worked for me. It goes on to say:

If this does not solve the problem, perform a factory data reset:
1.In Idle mode, open the application list and select Settings > Privacy > Factory data reset > Reset phone > Erase everything.
2.When the phone is turned off, simultaneously press the Volume button up and down, and then press .
3.When an exclamation mark appears, press the Home button to reboot.

I didn't see this anywhere here in the forum, so I hope it helps someone. Cheers!
yeah definitely no one with that issue since you're talking about the wrong phone.
sponsored links
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #31 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Whatever the quoted post is above can't be seen on Tapatalk (dark).
Old May 15th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #32 (permalink)

bb1fit
Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1fit View Post
No doubt what you say is fact. Somehow it doesn't seem to mitigate the personal implication of being away from home thousands of miles and having a home tie cut (one thing to have a phone die and you can take it right back to where you bought it, though even this is not ideal, but it is quite another to not have that option). Add this to the fact that it was a brand new phone, and 'reactions' take over. Again, I may well purchase another Samsung, but I would be remiss if I did not mention that I am indeed comparing other phones diligently.

Not to mention that if I do buy another Samsung, and I am again out of the country (which I will be), there will always be that 'fear factor' that I will pick up the phone one day to use it and it will be dead.
Thought I would post an update. After much tiresome comparisons, my new phone purchase has been made. I opted for the HTC One. I will note it came down to the final 2 of my choice between the Galaxy S4 and the HTC One. What did sway me in the end is my experience with Samsung. I hope to have much better luck with this phone, be assured I will post right here on this forum for all to see if the HTC craps out on me.
Paul7876 likes this.
Last edited by bb1fit; May 15th, 2013 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Posting error
The Following User Says Thank You to bb1fit For This Useful Post:
DonB (May 16th, 2013)
Old May 25th, 2013, 11:50 PM   #33 (permalink)

Device(s):

my 6 months old international galaxy note 2 was dead last week...i was texting...suddenly the phone goes blank and dead.now the phone is in samsung service center.will they replace the phone or change/repair the motherboard????
Old May 26th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #34 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajufarhan View Post
my 6 months old international galaxy note 2 was dead last week...i was texting...suddenly the phone goes blank and dead.now the phone is in samsung service center.will they replace the phone or change/repair the motherboard????
Depends on what's wrong with it. That's a decision we couldn't give a definite answer to.
Old May 27th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #35 (permalink)

bb1fit

Well, an update. I have never been one for being a 'rating' guy, not real often I 'gush' about someting/a product. But I have had my new unlocked HTC One for going on 2 weeks now. I am still quite impressed. Very high quality, excellent sound, fantastic screen. Size is very good too, 4.7, and end to end screen, and still nicely fits in your pocket. I find no missing the larger screen on the Note 2. (which I thought I might) On the downside, the battery does not last quite as long as the Galaxy note 2 did, but if you eliminate the apps that are constantly using juice, it will easily last all day. I was a bit concerned with it having no SD card slot, but it comes with 32 gig. I have tons of music on it, many photos from my travels, and have yet to put much of a dent in the memory.
Old May 31st, 2013, 07:31 AM   #36 (permalink)

Device(s):

Last edited by sajufarhan; May 31st, 2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old May 31st, 2013, 07:37 AM   #37 (permalink)

Device(s):

Smile :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajufarhan View Post
samsung replaced the motherboard without any cost ...
saltz likes this.
Old May 31st, 2013, 02:11 PM   #38 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default note 2 not turning on

hi all

same happen to my phone 2day it fall down frm me and the screen get cracked, i try turn it on at ist it get start but after that its not turning on at all, not even getin charge

is it the screen issue or somethng else?

if i replace the screen will it start working again?
Old June 3rd, 2013, 04:30 AM   #39 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanks to all, for their feedback on this topic. My Note 2 also 'died' this morning. Worked right up until bed time last night, woke in the morning to a green light to indicate a full charge. When I removed the charger it wouldn't turn on - it's completely unresponsive. I have tried everything listed in the posts above (even the Note 1 solution) with no success.

I've had the phone since Nov '12 and bought it second hand. It's the international version I believe N7100 which is listed on another site with a release date of Sept '12 - so the phone isn't even out a full year yet. I have tried contacting Samsung to see if it's under warranty but they claim IMEI cannot be found or doesn't match the S/N which is Canadian. I haven't had any real issues until now with it save for periodic reboots or freezes.

Is there any way to determine what country the IMEI is from? Is there any other way to determine if it is still under warranty? Will a 'reset' do the trick? Is there any way to have this phone rise from the dead? ...or am I simply going to have get another phone? If it's the motherboard what could that run me? ...and would it be the only part in need of replacement? ...so many questions, so little time

I really enjoyed this phone with all the features and like another poster I'm gravely disappointed that this happened at all, but more importantly that I may have some issues with the warranty regardless of how I purchased it. Please, guide me with some direction and outline what options I have regarding this - any assistance is appreciated. Cheers !
Old June 19th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #40 (permalink)

bb1fit

Well, I like to give credit when deserved as well as 'complain'. First let it be said that I love my new HTC One, great phone. I bought an unlocked phone here in Australia, got to the US and works like a champ there also. Very pleased.

What I wanted to give credit to was Samsung for easy replacement of my old Note 2. I thought it may be an issue, but when I got home (back to the U.S.) and called, they said it was still under warranty and in a matter of 4 days I had a new one. My wife is now the proud owner of it, and she really likes it. Kudos to them for the replacement, and I imagine hopefully they got the motherboard problem ironed out these days.

I am back in Australia with my HTC One, and no plans on making any changes. However, I did learn a lesson from the last trip, I brought a 'spare' phone along this time just in case.
saltz likes this.
sponsored links
Old June 25th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #41 (permalink)

Device(s):

I've just stumbled across this thread, but thought I'd add my two pence worth!

I bought a new GT-N7100 in January of this year, and was over the moon with it. However, it suffered the USB non-charging problem in late March. Exactly as others have experienced, it was on charge overnight (using the original Samsung charger) but in the morning the battery had drained rather than charged, and the phone was not recognising that there was a charger plugged in to it. I tried several different chargers and cables, but nothing worked.

Luckily (for the first time ever!) I had taken out the extra insurance from Phones 4 U. I took the phone in to my local store and they replaced it there and then with a brand new GN2.

So, today (June 25th), after almost exactly the same amount of time as I had the previous phone, it has done exactly the same thing. Didn't take a charge last night, and is refusing to recognise any charger or cable. I even did a hard (factory) reset, but nothing has helped.

It's not a huge problem for me, as I have everything backed up in the cloud, but it is a PITA as I've now got to take the phone back in, and I've had to buy two sets of screen protectors so far for phones that are going back! Not the end of the world, I know, but annoying nonetheless!

So, I'm taking it back to the store tomorrow, and have spoken to the manager on the phone today. He has said that they will be happy to replace the phone with another model. I'm going to try the S4 and hope that it doesn't suffer the same problem.

It's a shame really, as I do love the GN2, but I travel abroad a lot with work, and can't take the gamble of losing connectivity while I'm away. It does seem to be a major issue with the GN2....I can't believe that the problem re-occurring on 2 Notes in the space of a few months is an 'isolated' incident! Interesting that Samsung have not held their hands up to what is obviously a pretty common problem.
Old June 27th, 2013, 01:08 AM   #42 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Dead Note II GT-N7100

I unfortunately had my international note II die on me last Saturday night the same way most of you have described here. I contacted Samsung support here in the US first and after a hour long phone call discovered that I would not be able to get warranty service from the US service center since my model was built and meant for the European market. So next I have already sent 4 emails to UK support the last of which being to the CEO from their website. So far no luck and just going around in circles. Have all of you that had your phone repaired done so with your carrier? Have any of you repaired a international model (GT-N7100)? It seems so far the only way I'll get my phone fixed is to send it to somebody in Europe and have them process the service for me!
Last edited by rastamangi; February 3rd, 2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old June 28th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #43 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II

It can be because of different things,

I'd start with the charger, barrow another charger and see if it starts charging. If it charges buy another charger, off not....

check the battery. If you have access to another battery go check if it solves the issue, if not....

It can be the charging ports may have loosened somehow. If this is the case buy a spare battery and spare battery charger, then you can just switch battery by using one and charging another.

These are the 3 most common failure due to power. If none of the three work, than it can be something more complex that needs servicing.

Sent using the force
Old July 30th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #44 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 2
Carrier: giffgaff

Surprised GN2 dead - case note

Phone: UK, SIM free GT-N7100 purchased from on-line retailer. No contract. 8 months old. Under warranty with Samsung.

Present network: giffgaff.

Symptoms: Phone worked perfectly for 8 months. Tried to turn it on one morning but no response - except for a VERY DIM red flash from proximity/light sensor while power button is held in. Won't take any charge. Not recognised by USB on PC.

Actions: My son also has a GT-N7100 so I tried my battery in his phone (fine,43%) and his battery in my phone (same: phone won't power up). Other than that, I've tried most recommended fixes that are described in various forums. Nothing's worked. Condition seems terminal.

Situation: On-line retailer wasn't interested. Contacted Samsung and they are sending me a "padded envelope" in which I must return my phone for "service".
Very irritating situation to be in as my micro SIM card won't fit in any of my old "large SIM" phones. Still, taking a positive spin on the situation, it's a pleasant reminder of how peaceful and focused my life was before cell phones!

Up to now, the GN2 was the best phone I'd ever used. IMHO it's a very impressive piece of electronics/software.

I'll update here later with results in case it helps anyone.
Old July 30th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #45 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II SIM Free. GT-N7100. OS 4.1.2 JB
Carrier: UK '3' Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhaigh View Post
Phone: UK, SIM free GT-N7100 purchased from on-line retailer. No contract. 8 months old. Under warranty with Samsung.

Very irritating situation to be in as my micro SIM card won't fit in any of my old "large SIM" phones. Still, taking a positive spin on the situation, it's a pleasant reminder of how peaceful and focused my life was before cell phones!

Just in case Samsung take longer than what your 'positive spin' can last it may be worth getting a SIM card adapter from one of the phone shops on the High Street
The Following User Says Thank You to PiscesCloud For This Useful Post:
davidhaigh (August 9th, 2013)
Old July 31st, 2013, 04:15 AM   #46 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Thanks PiscesCloud. That's a good idea. I admit that the positive spin is wearing off quickly.
Old August 7th, 2013, 03:32 AM   #47 (permalink)

Angry Bust

My phone came back from Samsung yesterday. The accompanying letter states "not working because it has been subjected to severe physical damage internally." I am always very careful with my kit so I'm extremely puzzled and frustrated by this short statement.

Oddly, since Samsung returned the phone it now powers up and superficially looks and works fine except that it is in factory mode (yellow diagnostics text on top half of display) and it has no telephone functionality (emergency calls only) though it displays signal strength as usual. Touchscreen is perfect, Wifi works fine, USB charging works fine, all settings modes seem to be accessible. I can even browse perfectly with wifi as the yellow text is only shown on home screen. When I go into settings the yellow diagnostics text also disappears but returns when I exit settings mode. In short it does a lot but not quite enough to be a phone.

Kies says "Your device's current firmware version is not supported to update firmware via Kies." So it looks like Samsung repair centre have installed some diagnostics firmware.

I'm now left with an 8 month old, £400 phone that is pretty useless but looks like it NEARLY works.

Any advice? Take it to a phone repair shop for a quote? Get phone insurance next time?!
Old September 7th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #48 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by erry View Post

HI there! Will u Please tell me the price of new Motherboard! I got the same Prob.! Help me ASAP
Old September 9th, 2013, 04:46 AM   #49 (permalink)

A "reputable" phone repair company had my phone for nearly a month and then declared they'd fixed it. After paying them £50 for the repair I quickly discovered that although it now works well as a tablet, it doesn't work as a phone ("not registered on network"). They took the phone back to try again so now I'm down £50 as well. I'll report back when I have a conclusion.
Old October 29th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #50 (permalink)

Device(s):

guys i experienced sudden death of my note 2 after 5 months of use. MY FONE IS COMPLETELY DEAD all of a sudden and i saw it working fine just an hour ago it was fully charged and unplugged the charger saw my notifications and just turned the screen off and since then it never turned on. i completely fail to understand what the hell has happened with my fone. if ny1 can help.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2