Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 6 Post By ardchoille
  • 3 Post By mrsstraty
  • 1 Post By ardchoille
  • 1 Post By Frisco
  • 1 Post By badankles
  • 1 Post By TheOtherBill

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 18th, 2013, 06:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Samsung Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Advanced task killer

Just curious as what the purpose of this app is? I am using it and I choose kill apps now but 2 seconds later ALL those apps are open again.

sponsored links
Old April 18th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanked 1,959 Times in 856 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsstraty View Post
Just curious as what the purpose of this app is? I am using it and I choose kill apps now but 2 seconds later ALL those apps are open again.
Task killers are bad for Android systems, here's why:

Activities
Android apps use activites to preform tasks. For example, if you use a file manager to send a picture via email, the file manager calls the send activity within an email app, passes the file name to it and the email app sends the picture.. not the file manager. This will result in seeing the email app as "running" even though the user didn't actually launch that email app.

Smaller apps
Using activites helps developers design smaller apps. A file manager app that contains every bit of code needed to do everything a file manager does would likely be so large that no one would want to install it. Developers know that an android phone more than likely has an email app so there is no need for the developer to include email code in his/her file manager to send a picture when he/she can call an activity in an existing email app to do the job. This results in a smaller file manager app since there is no need to include email code or any other code for an activity that can be done via an app that is already present on the phone. This also alleviates redundant code. When you install an app outside of the android market, also known as sideloading, the file manager app calls the package installer (already present in Android) to install the requested app.

Running apps vs. cached apps
The "Manage Applications" list included in many android devices lists running apps as well as cached apps. Cached apps don't use any CPU or battery, they're cached so they will load faster the next time you need them. Killing cached apps results in those apps requiring more time to load the next time they are launched.

System management
By default, every android application runs in its own Linux process. Android starts the process when any of the application’s code (activities) needs to be executed, and shuts down the process when it’s no longer needed and system resources are required by other applications.

* Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when more memory is needed.
* Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when it’s done doing what it needs to do.
* Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when you haven’t returned to it in a long time.
* Most services (while possibly running in the background) use very little memory when not actively doing something.
* A content provider is only doing something when there is a notification for it to give. Otherwise it uses very little memory.
* Killing a process when it isn’t ready only causes it to have to reload itself and start from scratch when it’s needed again.
* Because a task is likely running in the background for a reason, killing it will only cause it to re-spawn as soon as the activity that was using it looks for it again. And it will just have to start over again.
* Killing certain processes can have undesirable side effects. Not receiving text messages, alarms not going off, and force closes just to name a few.
* The only true way to prevent something from running at all on your phone would be to uninstall the .apk.
* Most applications will exit themselves if you get out of it by hitting “back” until it closes rather than hitting the “home” button. But even with hitting home, Android will eventually kill it once it’s been in the background for a while.

If you see an app running that you didn't launch, it's most likely because an activity within that app was called by another app to perform a task. If you kill the app you didn't launch, the system has to relaunch that app in order to complete its task. This is why some people kill a task and then see it immediately running again. Constantly killing that app creates a situation where the user is battling the system resulting in wasted system resources.

Android is Linux
Android is not a Windows-based OS, it is based on Linux. Many of the apps you think are running aren't actually running, they're cached, this is typical with a Linux operating system and is much more efficient than other systems. Cached apps don't use any CPU or battery, they're cached and will load faster the next time they're needed.
Frisco, ScandaLeX, vosg and 3 others like this.
Last edited by ardchoille; April 18th, 2013 at 06:27 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ardchoille For This Useful Post:
El Presidente (April 19th, 2013), mrsstraty (April 18th, 2013), PiscesCloud (April 18th, 2013), ScandaLeX (April 19th, 2013), tigmd99 (April 18th, 2013)
Old April 18th, 2013, 07:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Am deleting it now.
ScandaLeX, ardchoille and Wiley_11 like this.
Old April 18th, 2013, 07:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Am deleting it now.
Good idea. Try not to worry about which apps are running/cached, just let android do the housekeeping for you and enjoy your android device
The Following User Says Thank You to ardchoille For This Useful Post:
mrsstraty (April 18th, 2013)
Old April 18th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Now can u help me figure out why my device is constantly searching using gps and im home not searching for anything!!!
Old April 18th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Now can u help me figure out why my device is constantly searching using gps and im home not searching for anything!!!
You have an app that is constantly trying to find the device location. You need to figure out which app it is and tweak the settings a bit. If it's an app that doesn't really need precise location, then turn off gps for that app. Hopefully someone can chime in here who has more knowledge of gps than I do.
Frisco likes this.
Old April 18th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=

Device(s): HTC One, Galaxy Tab 7" 2 Rooted
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 9,262 Times in 5,117 Posts

Maps is quite the culprit in GPS services use. Just go into the "running" section of Application Manager and see..well, what's running.

Click on each running app shown in there and have a look.. suspected apps are things such as "MAPServiceSamsung," "Maps," etc..even the browser if you've configured it to know your location as you go to Google's site, etc.

"Message NotificationService" is started by a few map related apps, including Navigation, I believe.

There are warnings about the apps themselves stopping or not working if you stop the associated service. I experiment with those.. there seems to be a bit of disparity with regard to the consequences of stopping various services depending on the device, how other apps/widgets are configured, and what the user has installed as far as so-called "task killers," as Ard wisely mentions.

So, when all is said and done, I keep GPS off, along with the other location services, "Verizon Location Services," "Standalone GPS (as mentioned)," and "Google Location Service."

You'll see a lot of disagreement about what to have off or on with those services. Part of the fun of having these choices: make your own choices over time based on what you see you device doing for you, good or not so good.
ardchoille likes this.

Last edited by Frisco; April 18th, 2013 at 09:03 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frisco For This Useful Post:
ardchoille (April 18th, 2013), El Presidente (April 19th, 2013), mrsstraty (April 18th, 2013)
Old April 18th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Instinct>EVO>EPIC>Note2 SGT10.1, HPTP
Carrier: Sprint

OP, you need to go tell the person who told you to installed ATK in the first place about this ASAP. LOL
vosg likes this.
Old April 19th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung GN2, Nokia N9, Nokia N900, Nokia N95

i have seen the fb app frequently trigger the gps too, and i am not too happy about it.
Old April 19th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Beware The Milky Pirate!

Device(s): Xperia Z1, Nexus 7 3G, HTC One X, SGS3 Mini
Carrier: EE

Thanked 15,847 Times in 8,509 Posts

Yeah, Facebook regularly triggers GPS, as does Google Now. Chrome too iirc. Like Frisco, I turn all location services off. I know where I am most of the time so don't really need them.
Last edited by El Presidente; April 19th, 2013 at 09:27 PM.
sponsored links
Old April 19th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
Yeah, Facebook regularly triggers GPS, as does Google Now. Chrome too iirc. Like Frisco, I turn all location services off. I K ow where I am most of the time so don't really need them.
I don't mind it so much on Google Now because it helps me locate restaurants and such, but I'd probably turn GPS off for Facebook.
Old April 19th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=

Device(s): HTC One, Galaxy Tab 7" 2 Rooted
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 9,262 Times in 5,117 Posts

I turned GPS on while on my walk around Holmes Lake the other day.. it had me in the lake with the ducks.

I don't go in the lake with the ducks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frisco For This Useful Post:
dustwun77 (April 22nd, 2013)
Old April 20th, 2013, 12:03 AM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
I turned GPS on while on my walk around Holmes Lake the other day.. it had me in the lake with the ducks.

I don't go in the lake with the ducks.

That's easy to fix. Get apple maps.

It puts you in the ocean with the sharks.

dustwun77 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheOtherBill For This Useful Post:
dustwun77 (April 22nd, 2013)

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Tags
task, task killer, task manager, tasks

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2