Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By twister6
  • 1 Post By twister6

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5
Carrier: V

Default Review of Anker Ultra-Slim Bluetooth keyboard w/pics!!!

This is a review of Anker Ultra-Slim Wireless Bluetooth 3.0 rechargeable Keyboard: AnkerŪ Ultra-Slim Highly-Portable Bluetooth 3.0 Keyboard for iPad 2 / 3 / 4 - Silver Aluminum Body

When I received envelope package expecting Anker Ultra-Slim bt keyboard, before even opening it I thought they messed up my order. I was looking at a very small and lightweight package which couldn't possibly hold a keyboard. Was I in for a big surprise when I opened it!!! You can look at any picture or review you find, but not until you hold it in your hand do you realize how small and feather light this keyboard is. I took measurements and confirmed it to be exactly 240 mm x 130 mm with thickness of 6 mm at the back side and 4 mm thickness around area with keys. The weight was exactly 170 grams. Let me first start with a built quality. It's probably better than some full size keyboards! The top has a nice matte rubbery finish. In general this is chiclet style keyboard. Keys are made of a very solid material, no flexing at all. There is a nice springy resistance when you push keys with enough of travel to give you feedback when you are typing. The size of keys is not miniature and actually very comfortable for prolonged typing. The bottom of the keyboard made out of a solid lightweight aluminum piece - pure class! There is no loose or rattling noises, everything feels solid and aluminum base helps to keep it from any warping. In addition, the package included a set of stick-on clear rubber dots to use as stand-offs, and you also get usb-to-micro-usb cable for charging.

Amazingly, unlike a lot of other wireless keyboards, this one comes with 280 mAh lithium battery that supposed to let you work for 140 continuous hours!!! And I believe there is an idle timeout after about 8 min when it goes into power saving sleep mode. The pair up was very fast and easy. You scan for devices, click on keyboard, and get a pop up message with a unique code to enter from your keyboard to pair it up. Once it's done, you are in business!!! One thing I have to mention right away: they should have called it a multimedia control keyboard, not just BT keyboard. Beside traditional QWERTY layout keys, you are also presented with a lot of dedicated buttons with a built in control and multimedia functionality. First of all you have 4 arrow keys that scroll through all of your icons/shortcuts on the screen. Once you reach end of one screen, it will flip to the next screen. I tried it on my home screens as well as app drawer. Those arrow keys located in the lower right corner, and probably the only gripe I have with this keyboard is that Up-arrow key is to the left of Shift key so it takes a little getting used to when you are typing to move your finger one key over whenever you need to use right Shift key. Looking at the top row of the keys, where typically you have function keys on a regular keyboard, you have a selection of a lot of very useful short-cut keys. You have a "home" key which always brings you to the home screen of your phone/tablet no matter where you are. It worked great with my Nova Prime launcher where it would bring both home screen and the scrolling dock to a default view. You also get brightness control for manual adjustment, and you get a volume control and a mute button. Media controls for Play/Pause and FW/REV work great with music and videos. And also there is a lock-screen button. I tested it with both my Note 2 and Nexus 7. As a matter of fact, this is one of those universal accessories that will work with any BT enabled device.

Overall, I highly recommend this keyboard for anybody who does a lot of typing on their phone/tablet. The usability and durability of this keyboard is fantastic. Additional controls and multimedia buttons are just an extra bonus! The only negative, if you can even call it a negative, I can think of would be a lack of some kind of a traveling case since you don't want to through this keyboard as is in your bag; and also up-arrow vs right Shift key which going to give you right pinky some extra stretch exercise Don't forget that you also get 18-months full coverage warranty, something I always say a company can do only when they truly believe in their product quality.

So, here are some pictures:

ScandaLeX likes this.

Advertisements

Complete List of all smartphone and tablet Accessory and Gadget REVIEWS by Twister => HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twister6 For This Useful Post:
beefyy (April 19th, 2013), DonB (April 19th, 2013), Puppa (April 19th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, HTC Rezound, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I was looking at this exact model of keyboard on Amazon last night, but they didn't claim any Android compatibility, so I asked a question about it, but so far no one replied. Huge coincidence that you happen to be a Note 2 user! Thanks so much for the review. Looks like I'll be ordering one.
Old April 19th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

I know, they have to stop advertising it as iDevice only keyboard. It works perfectly with Android and Note 2!
Old April 19th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppa View Post
I was looking at this exact model of keyboard on Amazon last night, but they didn't claim any Android compatibility, so I asked a question about it, but so far no one replied. Huge coincidence that you happen to be a Note 2 user! Thanks so much for the review. Looks like I'll be ordering one.
I've found that many times, even though it might not be advertised with Android compatibility, I haven't run into any issues yet (when not advertised for android).

For a split second, I was using my PS3 Logitech mediaboard with the Note 2 and it worked perfectly fine (I jumped on deals that were on 1saleaday that had it for $19.99, so it was worth it compared to the current price I've seen elsewhere)...but I switched to a FAVI Entertainment mini bluetooth keyboard, that I got for $29 on a Google offers deal. Anker makes a similar keyboard that costs even less on Amazon, but I didn't realize until after purchase.
The Following User Says Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
DonB (April 19th, 2013)
Old April 19th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
...but I switched to a FAVI Entertainment mini bluetooth keyboard, that I got for $29 on a Google offers deal. Anker makes a similar keyboard that costs even less on Amazon, but I didn't realize until after purchase.
I'm trying to reserve a review sample of that Anker mini bt "candybar" keyboard as well. Curious to test is out and see usability of that little touch pad
drexappeal likes this.
Old April 19th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
I'm trying to reserve a review sample of that Anker mini bt "candybar" keyboard as well. Curious to test is out and see usability of that little touch pad
I tested out the FAVI Entertainment one that I bought through Google Offers and it was pretty awesome. Way better than I anticipated. I have a USB RF version for another laptop (that I connected to my TV because it doesn't work like a laptop anymore, due to the battery being dead and the screen going bad) and the bluetooth version seems to hold a much better connection. If I had bluetooth on that laptop, I would've returned the USB/RF version and gotten the bluetooth version.

But, so as to stick on topic, this mini-keyboard looks like a decent choice for people to go with as well. There are so many options that the more reviews the better. twister6, you're becoming a review king that I almost want to say that the Admin's should ask you to do more reviews that they can post on the News Feed every day.
The Following User Says Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
twister6 (April 19th, 2013)

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2