• 1 Post By Frisco
  • 2 Post By erry
  • 1 Post By PiscesCloud
  • 2 Post By ScandaLeX
  • 1 Post By DanicaDream
  • 2 Post By netizensmith

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 25th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default S pen handwriting recognition... Spaces.

I tried to search for this information, but in a burst of irony, the android forums do not play well with chrome on my tablet... Google's operating system running Google's browser to view a website about Google's products.

Anyway, I love my Samsung Note 2. I had an HTC Sensation, and frankly, I'd rather take a nap with my head under water than ever use another HTC product. The Note 2 destroys it. Best phone I've ever had.

I am trying very hard to like the S Pen, but it seems like a total waste of time and money. Right now, every single sentence I type using handwriting recognition comesoutlookinglikethiswithnospacesbetweenthewords .

Yes, I know there is a space button at the top of the writing screen. That's a ridiculous answer. My pen top is nowhere near that button when I'm writing. It's way too much of a slowdown to constantly be tapping that and it's nonintuitive. What kind of handwriting recognition can properly figure out words, but not put spaces between them?

Hopefully I'm just doing something wrong. Right now, since I don't draw, the S pen is absolutely useless. I'd rather Samsung marketed a version of the phone that was $250 cheaper and came without the silly pen. Someone, please steer me towards making this work.

Thanks,

D.

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old April 25th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

After each word make a dash/draw a line ---> but longer than that.
I hope that makes sense. It's one dash but I had to do 3 to show you the length. That's how spaces are inserted.
Old April 25th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Wade View Post
I tried to search for this information, but in a burst of irony, the android forums do not play well with chrome on my tablet... Google's operating system running Google's browser to view a website about Google's products.

Anyway, I love my Samsung Note 2. I had an HTC Sensation, and frankly, I'd rather take a nap with my head under water than ever use another HTC product. The Note 2 destroys it. Best phone I've ever had.

I am trying very hard to like the S Pen, but it seems like a total waste of time and money. Right now, every single sentence I type using handwriting recognition comesoutlookinglikethiswithnospacesbetweenthewords .

Yes, I know there is a space button at the top of the writing screen. That's a ridiculous answer. My pen top is nowhere near that button when I'm writing. It's way too much of a slowdown to constantly be tapping that and it's nonintuitive. What kind of handwriting recognition can properly figure out words, but not put spaces between them?

Hopefully I'm just doing something wrong. Right now, since I don't draw, the S pen is absolutely useless. I'd rather Samsung marketed a version of the phone that was $250 cheaper and came without the silly pen. Someone, please steer me towards making this work.

Thanks,

D.

Just draw a horizontal line with the s pen

...B.T.W. a backwards line will erase the last character...
Last edited by erry; April 25th, 2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old April 25th, 2013, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
After each word make a dash/draw a line ---> but longer than that.
I hope that makes sense. It's one dash but I had to do 3 to show you the length. That's how spaces are inserted.
I appreciate the reply, but that does not work. It only enters a dash. I drew lines of varying lengths and got the same output, even when drawing entirely across the screen.

D.
Old April 25th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Quote:
I appreciate the reply, but that does not work. It only enters a dash. I drew lines of varying lengths and got the same output, even when drawing entirely across the screen.

D.

I've had the note since launch day 10/25, that is how you enter a space. Do it quick. Stop concentrating so hard on drawing a line.
Now back to practice - you'll get it.
YouGonaEatThat likes this.
Old April 25th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
I've had the note since launch day 10/25, that is how you enter a space. Do it quick. Stop concentrating so hard on drawing a line.
Now back to practice - you'll get it.
I'm probably not being clear. NO form of making a line, in any direction, makes a space. Long, short, quick, slow, diagonal, backwards, forwards... They make dashes, slashes, or tildes if they aren't straight. Not ONE TIME has a space magically appeared.

Either the S Note software is defective or the S pen is, but if what you're saying is true, and I believe you, this is useless.

D.
Old April 25th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II SIM Free. GT-N7100. OS 4.1.2 JB
Carrier: UK '3' Network

I use the s-pen mainly for swype (continuous input) which is brilliant but having just tested handwriting mode, it seems to work correctly. For what it is worth my settings are :-

'Menu key / Settings / Language and Input / Samsung Keyboard settings (the cog wheel) / Predictive text' is set to 'On'. On the same page 'Handwriting / Recognition type' is set for 'Complete recognition'.

I do not know if it will affect matters in handwriting mode but my predictive text library whilst swyping, now seems to recognise local place names quite well (these are notoriously difficult where I live!). That may be because I usually correct the words it gets wrong by selecting the appropriate word when it offers a choice.
Last edited by PiscesCloud; April 25th, 2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: typos
Old April 25th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I should mention that I don't use the standard keyboard, either. I use the vastly superior SwiftKey. It's awesome!

I don't THINK it's causing the problem. I'll check my settings and get back to you guys.

D.
Old April 25th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S5, Galaxy Tab 7" 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 9,265 Times in 5,119 Posts

Here's a video on handwriting recognition for the Note 2:

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (II) Handwriting Recognition Tip Demo by Wireless and Mobile News - YouTube

I can't get mine to create a space by any other method than the space bar, as in the video. I've been searching around for the --- method... perhaps it was enabled in earlier, pre-update versions, or some other version?
PiscesCloud likes this.

Last edited by Frisco; April 25th, 2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: typo
The Following User Says Thank You to Frisco For This Useful Post:
PiscesCloud (April 25th, 2013)
Old April 25th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s):

odd- Cos mine is working fine!
sponsored links
Old April 25th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=

Quote:
Originally Posted by erry View Post
odd- Cos mine is working fine!
I gather you mean the line method of making a space between words is working on your device.

I'm wondering if we're seeing differences in the carrier/provider versions, and/or Note 2s with differing updated software.
Old April 25th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:

D.

Hi Derek

Some people use the s-pen for other things apart from drawing & handwriting text. If you have the time and inclination, you may also get a few tips from :-

[All Discussion}Your S Pen... Use It? /Help/features ect... (post #79 suggests changing the recognition time)

and

How essential is the S-Pen?
Frisco likes this.
Old April 25th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s):

yes- I'm writing this doing exactly that'- Maybe we have different Software in the UK?
Old April 25th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiscesCloud View Post
Hi Derek

Some people use the s-pen for other things apart from drawing & handwriting text. If you have the time and inclination, you may also get a few tips from :-

[All Discussion}Your S Pen... Use It? /Help/features ect... (post #79 suggests changing the recognition time)

and

How essential is the S-Pen?
Also, in the settings menu s-pen "help" section is a list of demo instructions on the various features.. from three sections in there: air view, gesture and quick command.

It's not just a writing instrument at all.

[edit] fwiw, I just spotted this post in a Sprint forum:

"Hi! Not sure if you're still around or if you've figured it out, but you don't have to use the spacebar after each word. You can draw a line across the handwriting area, and it will read it as a space. Try to draw a somewhat long line across the middle. If you draw it too short, it will read it as a hyphen. Hope this helps!"

^^ Bearing out our good Guide SkandaLex's reported method.
PiscesCloud likes this.
Last edited by Frisco; April 25th, 2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old April 25th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Hey guys, I appreciate the help. Here's what I've gleaned.

1. My handwriting surface looks absolutely nothing like the video Frisco posted. I'm specifically using S Note. It's a very beige app. I use it generally in portrait mode. I don't think I'm allowed as a new user to post pics, but I can try to toss a screen shot up and see what happens.

2. I've read the tutorials on the S Pen. Frankly, it's still useless. The tutorials assume the S Pen is OUT and IN USE. Otherwise, why pull it out just to draw a < symbol to go back a page? If I can't write with it, then it will never BE out. All the fancy things it does assume that it is in your hand and being used as a productivity tool.

3. I am in the US. There might be something to the idea of different software or versions. I'm also on TV mobile.

4. I've had the phone for about two weeks now. I've been trying to write with the S Pen the entire time. I could accept that I'm doing something wrong if I had EVER gotten even a SINGLE space to appear. I would like to think that somewhere in the thousands of horizontal lines I have drawn over the last 17 days I've managed to make at least ONE correct line. I have seriously not seen even ONE space. Also, a quick horizontal line BACKWARDS draws a hyphen as well. It's like the bloody thing is stuck on dashes!

5. S Note seems pretty pointless, too. Just one example of frustration, accidentally leaving a text box you're writing in has the finality of a tomb door slamming shut. There is no way (apparently) to continue editing in that text box without opening the keyboard. Oh, and trace (the Swiftkey version of swype) doesn't work in S Note. There are probably ways around these issues, but it doesn't strike me as in any way intuitive.

6. I checked my settings and everything is EXACTLY as Pisces described. So... I'm at a loss. I really want to use this, but it just doesn't work.

I do love the phone, though. Just this one little aspect of it is whipping me. Thanks for all the suggestions and links to further information.

D.
Frisco and PiscesCloud like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek Wade For This Useful Post:
Frisco (April 25th, 2013)
Old April 25th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Okay, here's a screen shot:

http://db.tt/HgQlz4y9

Thanks again!

D.
PiscesCloud likes this.
Frisco (April 25th, 2013)
Old April 25th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=

Have you tried using the s pen in an app such as email or posting here?
PiscesCloud likes this.
Old April 25th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
Have you tried using the s pen in an app such as email or posting here?
Not really sure how to activate it on a Web site. Since I'm not using the standard keyboard, there's no manner of selection without turning off my keyboard. Good suggestion, but no, I haven't tried it.

D.
Old April 25th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s):

Maybe it's the keyboard
PiscesCloud and TheOtherBill like this.
Old April 25th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey guys, I appreciate the help. Here's what I've gleaned.

5. S Note seems pretty pointless, too. Just one example of frustration, accidentally leaving a text box you're writing in has the finality of a tomb door slamming shut. There is no way (apparently) to continue editing in that text box without opening the keyboard. Oh, and trace (the Swiftkey version of swype) doesn't work in S Note. There are probably ways around these issues, but it doesn't strike me as in any way intuitive.

6. I checked my settings and everything is EXACTLY as Pisces described. So... I'm at a loss. I really want to use this, but it just doesn't work.

I do love the phone, though. Just this one little aspect of it is whipping me. Thanks for all the suggestions and links to further information.

D.
Sorry, we may have been at cross purposes here because I assumed you were using the s-pen for handwriting to text recognition in emails, messages s-planner events etc. If you are using the pen in S-Note I presume you are using it for text input under the selection 'Productivity tools / Handwriting to text'?

I have just tried the latter (for the first time ever) and it only works properly ie to recognise words, insert spaces between them etc if I do not pause for too long. Perhaps tweaking the ‘Recognition time’ of the Handwriting settings may improve the situation. Certainly, I cannot use a stroke to give a space.

The pen works very well with the email, messages, s-planner apps and it inserts a space if I should pause between words. It may be that the predictive text feature that comes into play with these apps identifies complete words and decides if a space is appropriate. Predictive text does not come into play when I use it with s-note. That may possibly explain why I get different outcomes between using the pen with s-note and the other apps.

Incidentally, if I should happen to close a ‘text input’ s-note I can simply open it again and carry on with handwriting recognition as if I had not closed it.

Actually, I use S-note more for scribbling odd notes, sketches etc as I would previously have written 'post it' notes but obviously, without the risk of losing them as I would the scraps of paper. Just occasionally when I’m at a loose end, I use s-note for amusement to solve equations under the selection 'Productivity tools / Formulae match'; great fun!
sponsored links
Old April 25th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Not really sure how to activate it on a Web site. Since I'm not using the standard keyboard, there's no manner of selection without turning off my keyboard. Good suggestion, but no, I haven't tried it.

D.
Neither do I.

Just for the experiment, why not try the pen with the e-mail app ie the one with the envelope and a @ at its centre?

Also, for the sake of experiment, why not try the stock Samsung keyboard; it will at least reduce some of the variables in play with these issues.
TheOtherBill likes this.
Old April 25th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #22 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Okay, looks like handwriting recognition works "meh" in the Samsung keyboard. It puts spaces in, but in all honesty, it's just not worth it. In the threads posted, the people raving about how "useful" it is generally use it for post it note style jots and hitting tiny buttons on flash web sites. (And don't forget playing games!) I, on the other hand, was looking to make notes about my student behavior for grading purposes.

I was looking for a serious productivity tool, not a joystick. Swiftkey has doubled my typing speed and I use it on my tablet and phone, both. Leaving that keyboard for this ridiculous pen contraption gives me nothing. It'll probably go back into its little cradle and stay there until I upgrade my phone to the next great idea.

I still love the Note2. But it's now obvious to me that they could have made it $200 cheaper and dropped this goofy, pointless pen idea.

Thanks everyone for the help. It's still appreciated.

D.
jt999 (April 26th, 2013)
Old April 25th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Okay, looks like handwriting recognition works "meh" in the Samsung keyboard. It puts spaces in, but in all honesty, it's just not worth it. In the threads posted, the people raving about how "useful" it is generally use it for post it note style jots and hitting tiny buttons on flash web sites. (And don't forget playing games!) I, on the other hand, was looking to make notes about my student behavior for grading purposes.

I was looking for a serious productivity tool, not a joystick. Swiftkey has doubled my typing speed and I use it on my tablet and phone, both. Leaving that keyboard for this ridiculous pen contraption gives me nothing. It'll probably go back into its little cradle and stay there until I upgrade my phone to the next great idea.

I still love the Note2. But it's now obvious to me that they could have made it $200 cheaper and dropped this goofy, pointless pen idea.

Thanks everyone for the help. It's still appreciated.

D.

I've not used it- so this is a genuine question. . What does swift key do that is different to the stock keyboard?
Old April 26th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #24 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Sorry I/we wasn't able to help you. Your initial post did not indicate you were using a 3rd party keyboard so I/we assumed you were using the stock keyboard.

I come from the earlier Palm days when a stylus has a natural part of the phone or PDA so I do everything with mine using the stock and my BT S-Pen without issue.

For the amount of writing I do (no where near what you do), the dash as a spacebar is not my cup of tea. Yes, it gets the job done but I'd prefer if the space was automatic after each word. Due to that minor annoyance it's easier to swype letters as opposed to handwritten text.

@erry In answer to your question, they both do the same thing but Swiftkey feels a bit more fluid and word prediction is more accurate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScandaLeX For This Useful Post:
erry (April 26th, 2013), PiscesCloud (April 26th, 2013)
Old April 26th, 2013, 05:26 AM   #25 (permalink)

Device(s):

Going to have a go with swift key - however surely the fact it has less options regarding input is points lost straight off the bat?!
Old April 26th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erry View Post
Going to have a go with swift key - however surely the fact it has less options regarding input is points lost straight off the bat?!
Nothing is perfect so it has to be a 'horses for courses' type choice.
Old April 26th, 2013, 06:07 AM   #27 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiscesCloud View Post
Nothing is perfect so it has to be a 'horses for courses' type choice.

Going to give it a try, but even after the last hour it doesn't really seem any more intuitive than the Samsung stock keyboard...

The only difference I can see us that the buttons are bigger so it's harder to make mistakes...
Old April 26th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #28 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Swiftkey on my Note 2 is great but on my Note 8, not so much and I am using tablet version. So many mistakes that I have to keep stopping between words to make corrections.

The other thing I don't like about it on the tablet is there's only 2 keyboard options I can find. Full keyboard or split. I like Samsung where I can keep it full but smaller.
Old April 28th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #29 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Thank you!!

I am so glad I found this on a search. I just got the Galaxy Note 8 and I really purchased it for the handwriting feature. Except I've had such a hard time figuring out how to make it work. I got it done accidentally a few times, but thanks to you guys, I know how to do it on purpose.

Danica
PiscesCloud likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to DanicaDream For This Useful Post:
PiscesCloud (April 29th, 2013)
Old May 1st, 2013, 11:08 AM   #30 (permalink)

Device(s):

I am able to use handwriting in S Note and can just leave spaces between each word I write and the spaces appear in the sentence. Here are my settings:

Settings -> Language and input
Choose Samsung keyboard as the Default and disable ALL other forms of input (you might be able to use Swiftkey as your default but let's keep it simple for now and disable everything to make sure you are set up the same as me)

Click the little cog next to Samsung Keyboard:
Handwriting
Recognition type = "Complete recognition"
Recognition time = 1000ms

Now you should be able to open S Note and write words in the bottom area, separated by a space and it should detect the individual words and put them in the sentence with the correct spaces. When you run out of screen area to write any more stuff then you'll have to click the space button and the writing area will clear and a space will be inserted after the last word you typed and you're ready to write more.
The Following User Says Thank You to netizensmith For This Useful Post:
Frisco (May 1st, 2013)
sponsored links
Old May 1st, 2013, 11:22 AM   #31 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by netizensmith View Post
I am able to use handwriting in S Note and can just leave spaces between each word I write and the spaces appear in the sentence. Here are my settings:

Settings -> Language and input
Choose Samsung keyboard as the Default and disable ALL other forms of input (you might be able to use Swiftkey as your default but let's keep it simple for now and disable everything to make sure you are set up the same as me)

Click the little cog next to Samsung Keyboard:
Handwriting
Recognition type = "Complete recognition"
Recognition time = 1000ms

Now you should be able to open S Note and write words in the bottom area, separated by a space and it should detect the individual words and put them in the sentence with the correct spaces. When you run out of screen area to write any more stuff then you'll have to click the space button and the writing area will clear and a space will be inserted after the last word you typed and you're ready to write more.
Welcome to the forums, netizensmith. Nice first post!
Old June 6th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #32 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default S pen spacebar

Hi
I hope you can still read this thread. I had same problem but found a solution.
If you wait until the word you have written comes up as proper text and then draw a straight line it produces the desired space rather than a hyphen.
Hope this helps
Old June 21st, 2013, 10:46 AM   #33 (permalink)

Device(s):

I think the OP is going to Snote, then long clicking the shapes box up in the toolbar, then selecting pen to text option. This lets you write right on the paper (the keyboard is completely gone)... using this there is no way to make a space by drawing a line. Any line, long short, forward or backwards will make a dash.
Old August 30th, 2013, 06:34 AM   #34 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:

Thanks,

D.
I know this is an old thread but I have just got a Note 2 and found this helpful. If you go Settings>Language and Input> Samsung Keyboard settings> Handwriting> Recognition Type> and select Complete, this allows you to write in paragraphs. You can add spaces by simply leaving gaps between words and also correct words. You can then add your paragraphs to your doc (or whatever you are writing). Hope this helps.

Ian

> I am an idiot. This was pointed out before.
Sorry all.
Ian
Last edited by ianhaylett; August 30th, 2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old February 12th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #35 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Solution

Hi Derek,

I have a Note 3 and had the same problem. Go to your phone's SETTINGS. Find LANGUAGES AND INPUT (where you select your default keyboard). Look at your Swiftkey settings. Find and select ADVANCED. Select SPACEBAR COMPLETION MODE. then select ALWAYS INSERT A SPACE. That should do it. Hope this helps.

Guy
The Following User Says Thank You to Guy7 For This Useful Post:
PiscesCloud (February 13th, 2014)
Old February 15th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #36 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2

I can't get my S Pen to work in email, converting my handwriting to text, just keeps the handwritten note... is it possible to get it to convert to text in other apps beside the S Pen notes?

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2