Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree6Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 2nd, 2013, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
treb1797's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,921
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 3,541
Thanked 2,841 Times in 2,180 Posts
Thumbs up Verizon Note 2 gets Android 4.1.2 plus other goodies

Hey Verizon Note 2 owners I just got Android 4.1.2 per an OTA.

Go to Settings > About Phone > Software Update > Check New.

It took about 10 minutes to download so be patient.



ADDED :Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon Receiving Mystery Update to Build I605VRAMC3 (Updated: Changelog Added) – Droid Life

This article includes the change log from Verizon.
ceva321 likes this.

treb1797 is offline  
Last edited by treb1797; May 2nd, 2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: added link
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to treb1797 For This Useful Post:
ceva321 (May 2nd, 2013), whitecollar (May 2nd, 2013)
sponsored links
Old May 2nd, 2013, 11:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 435
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Nexus 7, Droid DNA
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 182
Thanked 130 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Just got mine..check out all the apps available for multi window now!
Attached Images
File Type: png 2013-05-02 12.57.17.png (106.7 KB, 126 views)
rivera02 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 435
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Nexus 7, Droid DNA
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 182
Thanked 130 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Just another observation: does it seem like screen brightness has been cranked up? Whites seem brighter to me by a good amount. Hope it fixes the battery drain I got with their last update too..
rivera02 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 170
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Yep, I just checked and the update is ready on my phone. I'm holding off on updating mine for a little bit. Just want to make sure there are no battery issues or any other problems.
karma2burn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the burbs of SEPA
Gender: Male
Posts: 268
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Motorola Droid Razr
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 13
Thanked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Haven't really messed with the phone too much, but the one thing I noticed was that the swype path (I use the swype keyboard) is significantly thicker and a different color than it was before. Also noticed the "eye" icon up top in the status bar - could we have possibly gotten the some of smart screen stuff touted for the S4 already?
ne0lyfeism is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 47
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

No joke....this update bricked my phone...won't turn on at all.

waiting 24 hrs for replacement
LSU316 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
treb1797's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,921
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 3,541
Thanked 2,841 Times in 2,180 Posts
Default

Go to :

Settings > Display > Notification Panel.

You can now customize it after this update.
treb1797 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 21
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karma2burn View Post
Yep, I just checked and the update is ready on my phone. I'm holding off on updating mine for a little bit. Just want to make sure there are no battery issues or any other problems.
I'm waiting for a confirmation that this is safe, and wont screw anything up.
shawnely is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 01:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 542
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Verizon Schmishmizon
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 45
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Default

It also appears the browser bookmarks widget is now 3 pages wide instead of 3.
chmodx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Clericus Geekicus
 
whitecollar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lakewood, Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 260
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2, Droid 4, Xoom, Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 14
Thanked 47 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU316 View Post
No joke....this update bricked my phone...won't turn on at all.

waiting 24 hrs for replacement
So sorry. How obnoxious.
whitecollar is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 170
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by treb1797 View Post
Go to :

Settings > Display > Notification Panel.

You can now customize it after this update.
I wish we could disable the damn thing. I can't stand it.
karma2burn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 52
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Big Red

Thanks: 29
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Phone seems faster after update...but it's probably a wishful thinking placebo effect.
treb1797 likes this.
mntom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 03:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
treb1797's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,921
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 3,541
Thanked 2,841 Times in 2,180 Posts
Cool Don't jinx us

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntom View Post
Phone seems faster after update...but it's probably a wishful thinking placebo effect.
Was just thinking the same thing, I'm currently looking for a piece of wood to knock on
treb1797 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 03:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ceva321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York City is where my heart is but now I live in Delray Beach Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 504
 
Device(s): Currently Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S3 4G LTE, Iphone 4 wifi only now, Ipad 2, HP laptop
Carrier: freakin' Verizon

Thanks: 24
Thanked 76 Times in 61 Posts
Default

hey thanks for the info!!! can't wait i love updates!!!! and yes the phones is FASTERRRRRRRR


eee by Ceva321, on Flickr
ceva321 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ceva321 For This Useful Post:
treb1797 (May 2nd, 2013)
Old May 2nd, 2013, 04:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
twister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,532
 
Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2
Carrier: V

Thanks: 132
Thanked 734 Times in 376 Posts
Default

Updating now
__________________
If you find my post helpful, please hit Thanks!

Complete List of all smartphone and tablet Accessory and Gadget REVIEWS by Twister => HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
twister6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 04:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
treb1797's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,921
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 3,541
Thanked 2,841 Times in 2,180 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
Updating now
WARNING : The results of this update may cause you to fall in love all over again w/ your device.
atrain311 and ceva321 like this.
treb1797 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 04:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Any chance this update enabled the blocking mode or is that wishful thinking? I am considering the Verizon Note 2 and that may push me over the edge.
alhurricane is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 04:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ceva321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York City is where my heart is but now I live in Delray Beach Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 504
 
Device(s): Currently Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S3 4G LTE, Iphone 4 wifi only now, Ipad 2, HP laptop
Carrier: freakin' Verizon

Thanks: 24
Thanked 76 Times in 61 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhurricane View Post
Any chance this update enabled the blocking mode or is that wishful thinking? I am considering the Verizon Note 2 and that may push me over the edge.

which blocking mode??? please explain..



Facebook was added !!!! to multi window



tttt by Ceva321, on Flickr
ceva321 is offline  
Last edited by ceva321; May 2nd, 2013 at 04:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 04:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceva321 View Post
which blocking mode??? please explain..

The feature that is similar to the iphone Do Not Disturb mode. It is where you can silence your phone at certain times, but still allow select contacts to still ring through.
alhurricane is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 04:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
twister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,532
 
Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2
Carrier: V

Thanks: 132
Thanked 734 Times in 376 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by treb1797 View Post
WARNING : The results of this update may cause you to fall in love all over again w/ your device.
Too late

Update went smoothly. 10 min and its done! For some weird reason it got stuck on "Galaxy Note 2" screen but as soon as I plugged in external power - phone power cycled and continued (I was doing upgrade while on battery). So, probably a good idea to have your phone plugged in while running upgrade.

The "eye" in the notification bar is Smart Stay enabled by default. That could be disabled. I love how you can customize notification bar, choose 5 essential controls so you don't have to scroll, and also get rid off brightness control slider (I always bump it when pulling notification down). Of course, you get more apps in multi-window.

So far so good!
twister6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 2nd, 2013, 04:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
treb1797's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,921
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 3,541
Thanked 2,841 Times in 2,180 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
Too late

Update went smoothly. 10 min and its done! For some weird reason it got stuck on "Galaxy Note 2" screen but as soon as I plugged in external power - phone power cycled and continued (I was doing upgrade while on battery). So, probably a good idea to have your phone plugged in while running upgrade.

The "eye" in the notification bar is Smart Stay enabled by default. That could be disabled. I love how you can customize notification bar, choose 5 essential controls so you don't have to scroll, and also get rid off brightness control slider (I always bump it when pulling notification down). Of course, you get more apps in multi-window.

So far so good!
Yeah, I got a little nervous when it stayed on the Galaxy Note II logo / screen b/c it was on there for a while, probably half the time it took to update. You hear those horror stories about phones getting stuck on those logo screens w/ updates, but I got thru it. Thank goodness.

No blocking mode from what I see, but someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
treb1797 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:23 PM   #22 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=
 
Frisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,492
 
Device(s): HTC One, Galaxy Tab 7" 2 Rooted
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 7,156
Thanked 9,262 Times in 5,117 Posts
Default

No SmartStay icon in notification bar on mine (Verizon). I'm running Nova with the notification bar hidden, but can see the icons when bringing up an app or dragging the bar down.

I don't see much diff yet, between this and the 4.1.1.
__________________



Frisco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:24 AM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 297
 
Device(s): Samy Galaxy Note II,Note 10.1,siii 32gig, had-MotoXoom1,iPhone 4s,4,droidX,Droid 1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 36
Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
Default

I find this update actually slowed my phone down a tiny bit!

I have rebooted several times and cleared cache by holding volume and home button while the phone is off.

I find nothing new besides more multi window programs that I barely use ever, I give this update a negative.
dfran1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:00 AM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA (ATL)
Posts: 590
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 95
Thanked 94 Times in 71 Posts
Default

I am digging the update. I like the multitasking options now. I used to never use that feature because it didn't have the apps I wanted like Gmail or maps, but now I have both.

Also, I like that I can customize the layout of the toggle menu in the notification bar.

And my phone seems like it is a touch smoother which is amazing since it was already the smoothest phone ever.

Absolutely no issues with me. Running Nova Launcher Prime.
Frisco likes this.
AustinTech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 08:25 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Valrico, FL
Posts: 225
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Well my phone runs the same speed, but now the multi window becomes use full with the addition of Gmail, Facebook, You Tube and most importantly Google Maps!! It is suddenl;y what I want multi-window to be in the beginning. Can't wait to try the navigation in a split screen.
__________________
My phone is Notably Too Good!!!
DroidL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:48 AM   #26 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=
 
Frisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,492
 
Device(s): HTC One, Galaxy Tab 7" 2 Rooted
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 7,156
Thanked 9,262 Times in 5,117 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfran1 View Post
I find this update actually slowed my phone down a tiny bit!

I have rebooted several times and cleared cache by holding volume and home button while the phone is off.

I find nothing new besides more multi window programs that I barely use ever, I give this update a negative.
Did you do a true cache partition wipe? Could be, it's just that I see you left out holding the power button along with the other two (you probably did but didn't type it in your post). Obviously if you went to the recovery menu area and used the volume down key to navigate to "wipe cache" then my question is moot.

Meanwhile, my phone seems at least as fast and responsive as it was prior to the OTA. I'm wondering if the slow down you're seeing was going to come along anyway as a result of something configured in the apps/widgets etc, and the update just happened to come to the device at that time: that happened to me with my Fascinate, so I first blamed the update then decided to check out my auto sync of Weather Bug (which I'd just installed before the OTA, hated it enough to get Palmary Weather Pro) and other widgets I then set to manually sync on demand, etc.
Frisco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 10:39 AM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 297
 
Device(s): Samy Galaxy Note II,Note 10.1,siii 32gig, had-MotoXoom1,iPhone 4s,4,droidX,Droid 1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 36
Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
Did you do a true cache partition wipe? Could be, it's just that I see you left out holding the power button along with the other two (you probably did but didn't type it in your post). Obviously if you went to the recovery menu area and used the volume down key to navigate to "wipe cache" then my question is moot.

Meanwhile, my phone seems at least as fast and responsive as it was prior to the OTA. I'm wondering if the slow down you're seeing was going to come along anyway as a result of something configured in the apps/widgets etc, and the update just happened to come to the device at that time: that happened to me with my Fascinate, so I first blamed the update then decided to check out my auto sync of Weather Bug (which I'd just installed before the OTA, hated it enough to get Palmary Weather Pro) and other widgets I then set to manually sync on demand, etc.
Sorry I did forget that, I also held power.

Now I also should have mentioned this stutter (slowdown) is only in 1 game app so far, everything else seems like it was, absolutely No faster at all!
Now this game is archipelago, I have played this for a long time, and it's not a graphics intense game either.
The game did work perfect before but now it stutters, plays fine but the planes stutter now.
It did a little before, but nothing compared to now (not that the stuttering is bad, just noticeable now). Maybe it needs to be updated?
Thanks
dfran1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 10:43 AM   #28 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=
 
Frisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,492
 
Device(s): HTC One, Galaxy Tab 7" 2 Rooted
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 7,156
Thanked 9,262 Times in 5,117 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfran1 View Post
... now it stutters, plays fine but the planes stutter now.
It did a little before, but nothing compared to now (not that the stuttering is bad, just noticeable now). Maybe it needs to be updated?
Thanks
Well now. It's just one app that you see a change in performance following the update.

A cache clear of that app via Application Manager would be prudent, if not done already. A data clear of that app and reconfiguration following a reboot would remedy the issue, I'll wager.
Frisco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 10:59 AM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 297
 
Device(s): Samy Galaxy Note II,Note 10.1,siii 32gig, had-MotoXoom1,iPhone 4s,4,droidX,Droid 1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 36
Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
Well now. It's just one app that you see a change in performance following the update.

I am using chrome anyway but..
A cache clear of that app via Application Manager would be prudent, if not done already. A data clear of that app and reconfiguration following a reboot would remedy the issue, I'll wager.
Thanks, as soon as I save my game data I will try.

But meanwhile as I clicked the link in my email to get to this forum,
1. Before update it would give me a choice now it defaults to the stock internet. I think I need to go into the internet application from application manager and clear data?

2. It was working last night and this morning , but now it opens the stock internet and the stock internet just keeps refreshing the page.
I use chrome anyway.
dfran1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 11:11 AM   #30 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=
 
Frisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,492
 
Device(s): HTC One, Galaxy Tab 7" 2 Rooted
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 7,156
Thanked 9,262 Times in 5,117 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfran1 View Post
Thanks, as soon as I save my game data I will try.

But meanwhile as I clicked the link in my email to get to this forum,
1. Before update it would give me a choice now it defaults to the stock internet. I think I need to go into the internet application from application manager and clear data?

2. It was working last night and this morning , but now it opens the stock internet and the stock internet just keeps refreshing the page.
I use chrome anyway.
Yeah, we all use our devices differently.. one quirk of mine is to clear everything once I find out an update is available. I'll do the data and cache clearing on stock apps, remove all 3rd party apps (yep, uninstall, then reinstall after a cache partition wipe and the OTA is done).

Never had an issue once that little regimen was adopted.

It should not be necessary, in a perfect world. But it's worked for me and I advise it when the subject comes up: See an update available? Clean house first and again when it's done.
Frisco is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frisco For This Useful Post:
dfran1 (May 3rd, 2013)
sponsored links
Old May 3rd, 2013, 11:31 AM   #31 (permalink)
Clericus Geekicus
 
whitecollar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lakewood, Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 260
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2, Droid 4, Xoom, Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 14
Thanked 47 Times in 37 Posts
Default

I'm using Launcher 8 and it's working fine after the update and Fb Home is hanging in there as my lock screen which is odd.
whitecollar is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 02:11 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 212
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 21
Thanked 71 Times in 41 Posts
Default

The update went fine for me, but I added the NFC toggle to my notification tray & it doesn't actually toggle it. Would someone test it on theirs to see if it works? Thanks
nlitenme is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 03:20 PM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 297
 
Device(s): Samy Galaxy Note II,Note 10.1,siii 32gig, had-MotoXoom1,iPhone 4s,4,droidX,Droid 1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 36
Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlitenme View Post
The update went fine for me, but I added the NFC toggle to my notification tray & it doesn't actually toggle it. Would someone test it on theirs to see if it works? Thanks
Yup this seems to be one update someone screwed up on

Just tried my nfc and it does toggle it for me, yes I added it to the notification bar as you did.

But I also had phone issues at one portion of my day today, that has seemed to go away.

If I need to wipe this phone I'm going to root and get rid of that crap Verizon junk I hate, and driving me nuts, like the join Wi-Fi every time I'm on the road using maps.
Sorry for the rant
Thanks everyone
At least you all care.

Edit:
there used to be a code on the phone to dial to turn the wifi notification on and off (comes defaulted to on) but ever since 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 all you have to do is go to settings and wifi and disable that notification, boy the things that get changed and never told to us.. not much reason now to root, phone seems to have settled in with the update.
dfran1 is offline  
Last edited by dfran1; May 5th, 2013 at 03:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dfran1 For This Useful Post:
nlitenme (May 3rd, 2013)
Old May 3rd, 2013, 03:28 PM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 212
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 21
Thanked 71 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfran1 View Post
Yup this seems to be one update someone screwed up on

Just tried my nfc and it does toggle it for me, yes I added it to the notification bar as you did.

But I also had phone issues at one portion of my day today, that has seemed to go away.

If I need to wipe this phone I'm going to root and get rid of that crap Verizon junk I hate, and driving me nuts, like the join Wi-Fi every time I'm on the road using maps.
Sorry for the rant
Thanks everyone
At least you all care.
Thanks, I got it to work. I removed it from the tray, restarted the phone, put it back in & now it works.
nlitenme is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 03:34 PM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
atrain311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Queensbury, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,175
 
Device(s): Too many to keep track of. But most recently a Note 2 and Note 3.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 1,071
Thanked 520 Times in 305 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne0lyfeism View Post
Haven't really messed with the phone too much, but the one thing I noticed was that the swype path (I use the swype keyboard) is significantly thicker and a different color than it was before. Also noticed the "eye" icon up top in the status bar - could we have possibly gotten the some of smart screen stuff touted for the S4 already?

I've been a swype beta guy and wanted to try out the Samsung keyboard. Does anyone know if there's actually way to swipe punctuation or do toy really have to long press the comma button every time you want actually comma?
atrain311 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:07 AM   #36 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 52
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Big Red

Thanks: 29
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Kies

I noticed that Kies also updated yesterday. Has anyone found that the software works any better?
mntom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:47 AM   #37 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry I cant get it to update.

It goes through a bootloader with options for install reboot settings etc. But when I minimize it shows it failed. Tryed 5 times. Rebooted. Help? ???
zhugzug is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 297
 
Device(s): Samy Galaxy Note II,Note 10.1,siii 32gig, had-MotoXoom1,iPhone 4s,4,droidX,Droid 1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 36
Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugzug View Post
It goes through a bootloader with options for install reboot settings etc. But when I minimize it shows it failed. Tryed 5 times. Rebooted. Help? ???
Try and do this first, back up what you can or you will loose everything, of course google should have your contacts but make sure (it will be like a brand new phone out of the store with nothing on). Or just hold volume and home and then hold power till you get to the wipe and wipe everything , then don't reload a lot just minimum and wipe it again after the update, then reload, best of luck.

I'm sure if someone has some better or 1st idea to try they will post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
Yeah, we all use our devices differently.. one quirk of mine is to clear everything once I find out an update is available. I'll do the data and cache clearing on stock apps, remove all 3rd party apps (yep, uninstall, then reinstall after a cache partition wipe and the OTA is done).

Never had an issue once that little regimen was adopted.

It should not be necessary, in a perfect world. But it's worked for me and I advise it when the subject comes up: See an update available? Clean house first and again when it's done.
dfran1 is offline  
Last edited by dfran1; May 4th, 2013 at 08:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dfran1 For This Useful Post:
karma2burn (May 4th, 2013)
Old May 4th, 2013, 09:26 AM   #39 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wait how do you get to the wipe function? with the phone powered off?
zhugzug is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 09:35 AM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
twister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,532
 
Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2
Carrier: V

Thanks: 132
Thanked 734 Times in 376 Posts
Default

Just found something new with this update. Whenever I take a picture and share/email it, it now gives me an option to keep attachment as original size or resize it down to 70%, 30%, etc. Awesome!!!

Haven't noticed any lag, my phone is as fast as before!
twister6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 297
 
Device(s): Samy Galaxy Note II,Note 10.1,siii 32gig, had-MotoXoom1,iPhone 4s,4,droidX,Droid 1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 36
Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugzug View Post
Wait how do you get to the wipe function? with the phone powered off?
This will wipe your phone or you can clear the cache from this location
(wipe means back to like you just purchased a new phone, so be aware, backup first) use helium or something to back up if you care.

1. Turn off phone

2. Hold volume up key and home key

3. Still holding those keys now press and hold power till you see the green android then release all buttons.

4. Use the volume up and down to highlight the option you want and the power button to select it.


options when in system recovery
1. reboot system now
2. apply update from ADB
3. apply update from external storage
4. wipe data/factory reset
5. wipe cache partition
6. apply update from cache

I do 5 every now and then but to wipe you do 4 and 5 and twice also just to make sure.

5 will do no harm , with no loss of data.
dfran1 is offline  
Last edited by dfran1; May 4th, 2013 at 12:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #42 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 675
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 38 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTech View Post
I am digging the update. I like the multitasking options now. I used to never use that feature because it didn't have the apps I wanted like Gmail or maps, but now I have both.

Also, I like that I can customize the layout of the toggle menu in the notification bar.

And my phone seems like it is a touch smoother which is amazing since it was already the smoothest phone ever.

Absolutely no issues with me. Running Nova Launcher Prime.
I am on Verizon. How are you able to customize the notification bar ?
rcyphermd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 297
 
Device(s): Samy Galaxy Note II,Note 10.1,siii 32gig, had-MotoXoom1,iPhone 4s,4,droidX,Droid 1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 36
Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
I am on Verizon. How are you able to customize the notification bar ?
Go here to adjust your notifications
1. Settings
2. Display
3. Notification Panel
dfran1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dfran1 For This Useful Post:
rcyphermd (May 7th, 2013)
Old May 6th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 297
 
Device(s): Samy Galaxy Note II,Note 10.1,siii 32gig, had-MotoXoom1,iPhone 4s,4,droidX,Droid 1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 36
Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
Default

I just found my crappy app. that was causing me headaches and slowing down my game.

UCCW.. I have not opened it up in a month the very least, it was running on it's own, now wonder why my battery was crap lately!

I used elixir 2 application to find it. I uninstalled that application and all themes I had for it, it gave me problems in the past and I tried uninstall it and reinstall but still gave me problems so I figured maybe it would get fixed, boy was I wrong, I did not have any Widgets for it open in over a month, what crap.

Sorry for the rant, but maybe this info will help someone else someday.
dfran1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #45 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 170
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidL View Post
Well my phone runs the same speed, but now the multi window becomes use full with the addition of Gmail, Facebook, You Tube and most importantly Google Maps!! It is suddenl;y what I want multi-window to be in the beginning. Can't wait to try the navigation in a split screen.
One of my small pet peeves is that when I used the navigation and listened to music, I would have to jump back and forth between the two if a song came up I wanted to skip etc. Kind of a pain and not exactly the best practice while driving.

So after the update I was able to put up my media player and navigation side by side and it works perfectly. So nice to not have to jump back and forth.

Now if google would get off their ass and separate the media volume and the navigation volume everything would be perfect.
karma2burn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 106
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

How do get rid of the auto brightness on notification bar?

Thanks


Never mind found it
laurieb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #47 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 51
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Does anyone have a link to a page that might document the new features ?
phonedroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #48 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 212
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 21
Thanked 71 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonedroid View Post
Does anyone have a link to a page that might document the new features ?
Here ya go - http://www.droid-life.com/2013/05/02/glaaxy-note-2-on-verizon-receiving-mystery-update-to-build-i605vramc3/
nlitenme is online now  
Last edited by nlitenme; May 8th, 2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: wrong link
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #49 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 435
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Nexus 7, Droid DNA
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 182
Thanked 130 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Was the option to use the volume keys as the shutter for the camera always there or is that new with the update?
nlitenme likes this.
rivera02 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #50 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 212
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 21
Thanked 71 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivera02 View Post
Was the option to use the volume keys as the shutter for the camera always there or is that new with the update?
I don't remember having that. Either way, thanks for the heads-up!
nlitenme is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.