Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By R4nd0mJ0k3r

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 6th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Default Note 2 screens more susceptible to break?

I've dropped my iPhone and ATRIX dozens of times with no ill effect other than a scratch or rub mark on the case.
I dropped my Note 2 yesterday from only 2 feet onto tile and the dang thing popped out of the case and shattered the screen. My wife thinks the screen must have been defective.
Anyway - I got the screen replaced - guess what they don't tell you? You need to replace the whole display stack as it is bonded. They first debonded the screen but some of it stayed on the screen and looked like crap. It also leaves a space underneath making the display have more glare and less contrast - they say the replacement screens don't have the gummy back because they can't bond it in the field. Also part of the digitizer stopped working. We are currently in negotiations as to what a fair price on the factory screen assembly comes to.

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old June 6th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 2 GT-N7100
Carrier: Not Provided

Well am so sorry to hear that, sounds horrible though....
But to be frank dropping is just a mater of pure luck, and you really cant compare any to any coz simply the way it land and where and how is a big deal coz mayb from even 10cm but it could be fatal drop and maybe from 1M but just landed the right way nd nothing happen.

Have seen a drop test to the note 3 from 3 different heights and never got affected while on the other hand there was a demo to IP4s and S3 they got affected with different height to each of them.

Bottom line its just pure luck so you cant really say that the note 2 screen is that weak compared to others.

But still am so sorry for you
Old June 6th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by softarno View Post
Well am so sorry to hear that, sounds horrible though....
But to be frank dropping is just a mater of pure luck, and you really cant compare any to any coz simply the way it land and where and how is a big deal coz mayb from even 10cm but it could be fatal drop and maybe from 1M but just landed the right way nd nothing happen.

Have seen a drop test to the note 3 from 3 different heights and never got affected while on the other hand there was a demo to IP4s and S3 they got affected with different height to each of them.

Bottom line its just pure luck so you cant really say that the note 2 screen is that weak compared to others.

But still am so sorry for you
Thanks the weird thing is it landed exactly on the end, which popped it out of the case and then it hit. When the screen shattered I dunno but I'd think after it left the case. Maybe not. I was surprised it got launched from the case - I have a heckuva time prying it out by hand.
Old June 6th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S5, Galaxy Tab 7" 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 9,265 Times in 5,119 Posts

I share the OP's concern, mainly because of the size. But, having said that, mine's been dropped twice now; once on the fairly plush living room carpet (off the couch lamp stand, about 20 inches), then once taking it out of my pocket in the hallway which has a thinner carpet.

Both times it went "clunk" right on the corner.. and no effect at all on the screen or innards.

Old June 6th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung N7100 Galaxy Note II / Previously Owned; Samsung N7000 Galaxy Note, Samsung I9000 Galaxy

I agree with all that's been said so far.

On the one hand, how you drop the phone and how the phone lands plays the biggest part in whether or not the screen shatters.

That being said, I'm sure that the extra size and weight of the Note 2 mean that regardless of circumstance, the Phablet is more likely to receive damage from a drop.

Hope you get it fixed soon!
BubbaJon likes this.
Old June 8th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

Sorry to hear about your note 2

Mine fell out of my pocket while I was sitting as I was about to get out of my car. It bounced on the concrete floor and it got a big ugly crack near top of the phone though thankfully not reaching the actual screen area. Still, it wasn't that big of a height so I was surprised and disappointed.

Anyways where did you go to get the screen replaced? I'm just wondering if what you described happens to ALL screen replaced or you just had a bad service? I was planning on replacing it when I go to korea this year but now im not sure it's worth the loss of display quality
Old June 8th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

https://mail.google.com/m

I did drop mine on tile floor from hip length. Not a scratch. Thanks otterbox!!!
Old June 8th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy S4, Note2 Galaxy Tab 3 - 8.0

I broke mine the Saturday of Memorial day weekend....BB sent a new on on Wednesday....made it to Saturday and managed to break that one as well.... 2 broken screens in 6 days...can anyone beat that?
Old June 9th, 2013, 06:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 2 White
Carrier: Sprint

Dropped several times. Weird...my biggest problem is a cracked flash on the back that does not function at times. Screen if fine.
Old June 9th, 2013, 10:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4,Galaxy S3,Galaxy S2 skyrocket, Samsung infuse, Galaxy note, Galaxy note 2.
Carrier: AT&T

I forgot I had my N2 on my lap the other day, and when I got out of the car it went flying. Rolled three or four times and landed on the screen. I stood there feeling like I was kicked in the baby maker, but I picked it up and found my Zerolemon case took all the damage and not even a mark on the screen. Did that with my 4s and shattered the back and front.
sponsored links
Old June 9th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Send a message via Yahoo to pool_shark

I dropped mine getting out of my truck and the belt clip was stuck on my seat belt, and I dropped it walking down the street because the holster didn't hold the case securely. I didn't even scratch it either time.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Tags
break, screen

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2