Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By twister6
  • 1 Post By El Presidente
  • 1 Post By twister6

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 14th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
twister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,553
 
Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2
Carrier: V

Thanks: 138
Thanked 748 Times in 384 Posts
Default Review of Anker Astro E5 15000 mAh external battery w/pics!!!

This is a review of Anker Astro E5 15000 mAh external battery: Anker Astro E5 15000mAh External Battery - White

Being familiar with footprint of their E4 battery, when Anker announced a new E5 model with higher capacity I was expecting to see bigger and heavier model with a typical 30% efficiency loss. I know I bring it up in a lot of the reviews, but labeled capacity of ANY external battery is not what your phone battery going to see. Its a total capacity of cells inside of external battery which gets converted to 5V usb interface output and then back to your cell phone battery while charging - the efficiency loss during the conversion reduces the actual capacity by approximately 30%, with some batteries close to 40% and others maybe slightly better to 25%. On top of that, a lot of no name ebay HK sellers have batteries with super exaggerated capacity where you will be lucky to get even half of what they advertise on the label. That is why I only trust a few brands, Anker being one of them.

Once I received E5 unit for review to my surprise, the footprint stayed almost unchanged and difference in weight was negligible in comparison to previous E4 gen. But you actually get 2000 mAh more in capacity to bring it up to 15000 mAh. The battery cells are changing and improving, and I'm glad to see that Anker is keeping up with a new technology. E5 external battery is not exactly feather light, but at about 11.1 oz and 5"x3"x0.9" is manageable and actually the same as Note 2 with Zerolemon battery. The exterior is solid plastic, no flex, and comes in either white or black. For this review I chose a white unit and found it to be great to cover up any fingerprints. The top has a large power button with dual functionality to also turn on built-in led light. At full charged battery capacity, the light could last up to 700 hours if you only use it for that purpose. Next to power button you have 4-led capacity/charging indicator in 25% increments. Charging input to the battery is a standard micro-usb and has 1.5A charging speed for a fast charging of this battery. Output is a dual full usb port, rated at 2A and 1A both of which can be used simultaneously to deliver 3A of combined current. Each port current output is regulated where I confirmed charging Note 2 from one gave me max 2A and from the other one only up to 1A.

This extended battery comes with usb cable and interchangeable tips for micro-usb, mini-usb, and apple 30-pin connector. Also, it comes with a convenient storage pouch for a battery, cable, and attachment. It also comes with a detailed manual and 18-month warranty card. But there is also a big surprise. I have been reading other independent test reviews of this module and it turned out to have an actual capacity close to 11,800 mAh. We are talking about 21.5% efficiency loss which is very good considering typical batteries of such capacity have it at 30% or higher. This mean you can charge your Note 2 with a standard battery almost 4 times, or easily charge Zerolemon and have some juice still left - all this at a max 2A speed. Overall, I'm very impressed with this battery and its performance!

Here are the pictures.

























drexappeal and Harry2 like this.

__________________
If you find my post helpful, please hit Thanks!

Complete List of all smartphone and tablet Accessory and Gadget REVIEWS by Twister => HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
twister6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to twister6 For This Useful Post:
breadnatty08 (July 15th, 2013), drexappeal (July 15th, 2013), El Presidente (July 14th, 2013), Harry2 (July 14th, 2013), rawhide85 (July 15th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old July 14th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Beware The Milky Pirate!
 
El Presidente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 26,674
 
Device(s): Xperia Z1, Nexus 7 3G, HTC One X, SGS3 Mini
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 14,059
Thanked 15,878 Times in 8,530 Posts
Default

Is there any accessory you don't have?

Awesome stuff (as usual).
Harry2 likes this.
__________________
Site Rules & Guidelines / Staff List / Ask the Staff
Want to bring naughty posts to our attention? Use:
Be respectful to each other - That's what we're all about.
El Presidente is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
twister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,553
 
Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2
Carrier: V

Thanks: 138
Thanked 748 Times in 384 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
Is there any accessory you don't have?

Awesome stuff (as usual).
Still looking... Give me ideas so I can review more

Actually keeping my fingers crossed to review a few different smartwatches in a few months. After playing around with MetaWatch (which still needs software work, just like Pebble), it became essential part of my smartphone use. And since we are on topic of smartwatch, perhaps we need a separate section in AF for it?
twister6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,291
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,045
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
This is a review of Anker Astro E5 15000 mAh external battery: Anker Astro E5 15000mAh External Battery - White

Being familiar with footprint of their E4 battery, when Anker announced a new E5 model with higher capacity I was expecting to see bigger and heavier model with a typical 30% efficiency loss. I know I bring it up in a lot of the reviews, but labeled capacity of ANY external battery is not what your phone battery going to see. Its a total capacity of cells inside of external battery which gets converted to 5V usb interface output and then back to your cell phone battery while charging - the efficiency loss during the conversion reduces the actual capacity by approximately 30%, with some batteries close to 40% and others maybe slightly better to 25%. On top of that, a lot of no name ebay HK sellers have batteries with super exaggerated capacity where you will be lucky to get even half of what they advertise on the label. That is why I only trust a few brands, Anker being one of them.

Once I received E5 unit for review to my surprise, the footprint stayed almost unchanged and difference in weight was negligible in comparison to previous E4 gen. But you actually get 2000 mAh more in capacity to bring it up to 15000 mAh. The battery cells are changing and improving, and I'm glad to see that Anker is keeping up with a new technology. E5 external battery is not exactly feather light, but at about 11.1 oz and 5"x3"x0.9" is manageable and actually the same as Note 2 with Zerolemon battery. The exterior is solid plastic, no flex, and comes in either white or black. For this review I chose a white unit and found it to be great to cover up any fingerprints. The top has a large power button with dual functionality to also turn on built-in led light. At full charged battery capacity, the light could last up to 700 hours if you only use it for that purpose. Next to power button you have 4-led capacity/charging indicator in 25% increments. Charging input to the battery is a standard micro-usb and has 1.5A charging speed for a fast charging of this battery. Output is a dual full usb port, rated at 2A and 1A both of which can be used simultaneously to deliver 3A of combined current. Each port current output is regulated where I confirmed charging Note 2 from one gave me max 2A and from the other one only up to 1A.

This extended battery comes with usb cable and interchangeable tips for micro-usb, mini-usb, and apple 30-pin connector. Also, it comes with a convenient storage pouch for a battery, cable, and attachment. It also comes with a detailed manual and 18-month warranty card. But there is also a big surprise. I have been reading other independent test reviews of this module and it turned out to have an actual capacity close to 11,800 mAh. We are talking about 21.5% efficiency loss which is very good considering typical batteries of such capacity have it at 30% or higher. This mean you can charge your Note 2 with a standard battery almost 4 times, or easily charge Zerolemon and have some juice still left - all this at a max 2A speed. Overall, I'm very impressed with this battery and its performance!

Here are the pictures.

























Thanks for reviewing this one, Twister. I've loved my Astro 3, but I'm always looking out for great deals on upgraded backup battery chargers. This looks smaller and more powerful than the Astro 3, so I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for a great deal on one sometime in the future.
__________________
Love the G-Note series!
drexappeal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
twister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,553
 
Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2
Carrier: V

Thanks: 138
Thanked 748 Times in 384 Posts
Default

Since you mentioned Astro 3, I actually got yesterday a newsletter from Anker guys about upcoming 2nd gen Astro 3 (12000 mAh, 80% efficiency - which means only 20% loss, and new led indicator with actual charging/capacity display in 10% increments). It's not available for sale yet, but Amazon already has it listed with pictures and full spec: Amazon.com: AnkerŪ 2nd Generation Astro3 12000mAh Triple USB Port External Battery for iPhone 5, 4S, 4 (Lightning adapter not included); Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, Note 2; iPad 4, 3, 2, iPad Mini; Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Note 8; HTC One, EVO, Thunderbo

They also releasing a new higher capacity Slim3 with 6000 mAh: Amazon.com: AnkerŪ Astro Slim3 6000mAh Portable Backup External Battery Charger with built-in Micro-USB Cable. Ultra Slim Rechargeable Lithium Polymer Power Bank for Android Smartphones, iPhones and other devices: Cell Phones & Accessories where I have no idea how they even squeezed in 6000 mAh into that ultra slim profile.

All this is a great indicator about improvements in battery cell technology, getting smaller in size with higher capacity charge and higher efficiency of delivering this high capacity!
drexappeal likes this.
twister6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twister6 For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (July 15th, 2013)
Old July 15th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 107
 
Device(s): Infuse 4G running Aeon 1.3 Neon Blue ROM
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 157
Thanked 38 Times in 30 Posts
Default Note III?

This Astro E5 is sick. I'm gettin' one for my III when it comes out. Thanks for the review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
This is a review of Anker Astro E5 15000 mAh external battery: Anker Astro E5 15000mAh External Battery - White

Being familiar with footprint of their E4 battery, when Anker announced a new E5 model with higher capacity I was expecting to see bigger and heavier model with a typical 30% efficiency loss. I know I bring it up in a lot of the reviews, but labeled capacity of ANY external battery is not what your phone battery going to see. Its a total capacity of cells inside of external battery which gets converted to 5V usb interface output and then back to your cell phone battery while charging - the efficiency loss during the conversion reduces the actual capacity by approximately 30%, with some batteries close to 40% and others maybe slightly better to 25%. On top of that, a lot of no name ebay HK sellers have batteries with super exaggerated capacity where you will be lucky to get even half of what they advertise on the label. That is why I only trust a few brands, Anker being one of them.

Once I received E5 unit for review to my surprise, the footprint stayed almost unchanged and difference in weight was negligible in comparison to previous E4 gen. But you actually get 2000 mAh more in capacity to bring it up to 15000 mAh. The battery cells are changing and improving, and I'm glad to see that Anker is keeping up with a new technology. E5 external battery is not exactly feather light, but at about 11.1 oz and 5"x3"x0.9" is manageable and actually the same as Note 2 with Zerolemon battery. The exterior is solid plastic, no flex, and comes in either white or black. For this review I chose a white unit and found it to be great to cover up any fingerprints. The top has a large power button with dual functionality to also turn on built-in led light. At full charged battery capacity, the light could last up to 700 hours if you only use it for that purpose. Next to power button you have 4-led capacity/charging indicator in 25% increments. Charging input to the battery is a standard micro-usb and has 1.5A charging speed for a fast charging of this battery. Output is a dual full usb port, rated at 2A and 1A both of which can be used simultaneously to deliver 3A of combined current. Each port current output is regulated where I confirmed charging Note 2 from one gave me max 2A and from the other one only up to 1A.

This extended battery comes with usb cable and interchangeable tips for micro-usb, mini-usb, and apple 30-pin connector. Also, it comes with a convenient storage pouch for a battery, cable, and attachment. It also comes with a detailed manual and 18-month warranty card. But there is also a big surprise. I have been reading other independent test reviews of this module and it turned out to have an actual capacity close to 11,800 mAh. We are talking about 21.5% efficiency loss which is very good considering typical batteries of such capacity have it at 30% or higher. This mean you can charge your Note 2 with a standard battery almost 4 times, or easily charge Zerolemon and have some juice still left - all this at a max 2A speed. Overall, I'm very impressed with this battery and its performance!

Here are the pictures.

























rawhide85 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Beware The Milky Pirate!
 
El Presidente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 26,674
 
Device(s): Xperia Z1, Nexus 7 3G, HTC One X, SGS3 Mini
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 14,059
Thanked 15,878 Times in 8,530 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
And since we are on topic of smartwatch, perhaps we need a separate section in AF for it?
I'll pass it up the chain, thanks!
El Presidente is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
twister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,553
 
Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2
Carrier: V

Thanks: 138
Thanked 748 Times in 384 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
I'll pass it up the chain, thanks!
I would move my MetaWatch review in there, and I'm sure we will have a lot of contributions from Pebble users. Plus, I'm keeping my fingers crossed about possibility of receiving review samples of recently announced Sony SW2 and upcoming Kreyos smart watches.

Oh, as a side note, for future replies in this thread - please delete pictures from the reply when quoting my original review so we don't duplicate all the images
twister6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.