Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bob60626

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 26th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): iPhone 4s
Carrier: GiffGaff

Default Still worth getting the note 2?

I was looking at getting a Note 2 a while back, then the 3 was announced and I decided to go with that, but after holding my mums original note today, I found the shape just wasn't comfortable in my hands at all, and the 3 is slightly bigger from what I can tell (I know it's not exactly the same shape, but it is similar)

Will there still be support and things for the 2 for a while?

sponsored links
Old September 26th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: AT&T

Well, the Note 2 is actually thinner than the original Note even though the screen is bigger. The Note 3 screen is bigger than the Note 2, but the actual size of the phone is actually lighter and smaller and thinner. So if you are just worrying about the physical size of the phone, the Note 3 is better than the Note 2.
Old September 26th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): iPhone 4s
Carrier: GiffGaff

It's not the size, it's the shape. The Note 2 is more comfortable for me to hold.
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momochu View Post
It's not the size, it's the shape. The Note 2 is more comfortable for me to hold.
The Note 3 is exactly the same shape and size (height and width) as the Note 2 just thinner (from screen to back cover) and lighter.
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcneed View Post
The Note 3 is exactly the same shape and size (height and width) as the Note 2 just thinner (from screen to back cover) and lighter.
I saw some videos comparing the two, the 3 is the same width but a little taller. It's also more square.
Old September 27th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsa View Post
I saw some videos comparing the two, the 3 is the same width but a little taller. It's also more square.
Here are the dimensions and weight

DIMENSIONS
The dimensions of the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 are 151.1 x 80.5 x 9.4 mm whereas the dimensions of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 are 151.2 x 79.2 x 8.3mm.
WEIGHT

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 weighs 183 grams whereas the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 weighs 168 grams.
Last edited by lcneed; September 27th, 2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old September 27th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (current phone) Motorola RAZR HD MAXX (last phone, backup)
Carrier: Verizon

Default I'm in a similar boat but for different reasons

I have been thinking about getting the Note 2 for quite some time but decided to wait until the Note 3 came out to see if it was enough of an improvement to warrant paying the big money. Best Buy had the Note 2's for $99 for a brief while. If they were still $99 I'd probably get one today.

We don't have the Note 3 out yet to compare so I'm going to wait. I assume that once the Note 3 does come out the price of the Note 2's will only go down. I suspect we'll see Note 2's going for $49 in the near future, probably by around Christmas time.

I plan to waiting until the Note 3 hits the stores in a week or so and then go check it out to compare 'feel' between the two. If I'm blown away by the look and feel then I might jump on one right away. If not, I'll wait a bit and see what the early reviews are. New phones are always at least a little glitchy right out of the box whereas the Note 2 is pretty solid at this point.

Another thing is I'll want all the basic 'toys' that come with any new phone: Cover, charging station, etc. These items will all be quite costly for the Note 3 whereas the same things for the Note 2 will be dirt cheap. If I go with a Note 2 then I could get the whole shabang for around $100 with just a little patience (not my strong suit!). But if I go with the Note 3 then I'm looking at upwards of $450 when all is said and done after getting the phone and the basic toys.

For a difference of $350, the Note 3 had better be something pretty spectacular!
Old October 16th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):

Your prices are crazy. I guess you are having to pay for fones that are on contact. sim free note2s are about 240 on ebay here.
Old October 17th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattymon View Post
Your prices are crazy. I guess you are having to pay for fones that are on contact. sim free note2s are about 240 on ebay here.
Here in the States on ebay they're going anywhere from $325 to $500
Old October 17th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Verizon Schmishmizon

I'm content with mine since launch day, but if I was in the market for a phone it's get something newer to last longer. They haven't exactly been Johnny on the spot about updates and fixes, Samsung is device saturated currently and its staying to catch up to them.
sponsored links
Old October 17th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy S2, AT&T Note, Galaxy 7.0+
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have two 1's and a 2. I compared my 2 to a 3 today; each iteration is taller AND thinner than the last. I really liked the size of the first one. Bummer...
GT3RSfan likes this.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2