Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By twister6
  • 1 Post By twister6

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 13th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2, S5
Carrier: V

Default Review of Anker dual usb port 4.8A (24W) car charger w/lots of pics!!!

This is a review of Anker dual usb port 4.8A (2x 2.4A, total 24W) car charger. AnkerŪ USB 24W / 2.4A + 2.4A (4.8A max) Car Charger - The World's Most Powerful Dual-Port Charger

Just a few months ago I reviewed Anker's dual usb car charger with 3.6A combined output. One of the comments I heard back was about charging Note 2 and iPad 4th gen. As you know, Note 2 needs 2A for a full charge while 4th Gen iPad needs 2.4A. Or perhaps you got Note 3 in addition to Note 2 and need to charge up both of these 2A phablets in your car. In that case 3.6A doesn't cut it. The solution: 4.8A charger with dual usb port output each being able to deliver 2.4A.

Continuing with their new environmentally safe cartoon package, this one arrived in a neat little box. In addition to car charger, it came with Instruction manual which I want to mention specifically since Anker has been updating these with more and more useful details. They might as well call it a car charging Guide. But one thing I do have to mention, even so this charger has 2 ports labeled Android and Apple - in case of Note 2 or any other newer Galaxy phones, both ports can be used to charge your phone at full speed as I captured in the pictures below using Galaxy Charging current app.

This new 4.8A charger is the same size as their previous 3.6A model. Its very compact at 31g with 2.9" in length and 1" x 0.9" at the dual usb port opening which is smaller than some of the other single output car charger. This car charger is able to accommodate simultaneous charging of 2 plugged in devices at 2.4A each for a total output of 4.8A, and according to instruction manual has built-in multiple circuit protections. With Anker's standard 18 months warranty from the date of purchase, and a current price of $11.99 - this is one fantastic value and definitely a highly recommended accessory if you want to charge multiple power hungry devices at full speed in your car.

Here are the pictures.

Harry2 likes this.

Advertisements

Complete List of all smartphone and tablet Accessory and Gadget REVIEWS by Twister => HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Following User Says Thank You to twister6 For This Useful Post:
Harry2 (October 14th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old October 13th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Verizon Schmishmizon
Carrier: Not Provided

Does this mean if I run GPS and stream Bluetooth music for 5 hrs my battery will actually charge instead of hold steady/slowly drain?
Old October 13th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmodx View Post
Does this mean if I run GPS and stream Bluetooth music for 5 hrs my battery will actually charge instead of hold steady/slowly drain?
... and keep screen on and take some calls As long as you don't have usb cable with thin pc-wires (intended for 500mA current) - you can get your battery to 100% in 5 hrs. I use GPS 2hr+ a day at full brightness (with iBolt car dock app), stream SiriusXM and take occasional calls. Battery charge goes up by 10%-20% in an hour.

Just remember, full speed 2A charging is a combo of the charger and the cable.
Old October 14th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): One X, Sensation, Desire HD, Xperia Tablet S

Thanked 1,342 Times in 1,116 Posts

I'd like to add that Customer FAQ from the Anker web site

Q2. How is the Anker car charger customized to charge Android products at full speed?
Unlike Apple products, some Android phones will enter into USB data sync mode and charge at only half speed (500mA/h) when they detect the D+/D- pins of non-OEM chargers. To address this conflict, the Micro USB power wire of the Anker car charger adopts a unique circuit design to properly set the D+ / D- pins and signal the Android device to charge at full AC charging speed (1000mA/h or higher). In this way, the Anker car charger is custom-designed to charge both Apple and Android products at full speed.

Harry
Old October 14th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 2 (Sprint), Note 10.1 (wifi only), iPhone 5 (JB) Sprint.
Carrier: Sprint

Will an android device charge in the "apple" slot at full power? (i.e. can I charge both my Note2 and my Note10.1 at the same time?)
Old October 14th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonDurkhun View Post
Will an android device charge in the "apple" slot at full power? (i.e. can I charge both my Note2 and my Note10.1 at the same time?)
Yes it will. Look at the last two images. I had Note 2 hooked up to Apple port charging at full speed and also hooked up to Android port charging at full speed.
Harry2 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to twister6 For This Useful Post:
Harry2 (October 14th, 2013)
Old December 19th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
I had Note 2 hooked up to Apple port charging at full speed and also hooked up to Android port charging at full speed.
In that case, do you have any theory why Anker didn't just make both ports to the 'Apple spec'? If that were the case then all bases would be covered and neither would need to be labelled.
Old December 19th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabotsonline View Post
In that case, do you have any theory why Anker didn't just make both ports to the 'Apple spec'? If that were the case then all bases would be covered and neither would need to be labelled.
Actually, not all phones will charge from Apple port. Samsung works, some other phones might not or will charge capped at 500mA. You know how apple puts proprietary hooks in their specs for everything, Sammy guys find a way around it
Old December 29th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):

Wow, great review.
I found you from Twister Reviews of Android Accessories and Gadgets and must say you are really professional to review accessories!

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2