Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lcneed

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 27th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: AT&T

Default Significant slowdown in the past 2 weeks

I've never had any performance issues with my AT&T Note 2...until about 10 days ago. Since then, I find myself waiting for a response for almost anything I do on the phone. I have been running the latest version (4.3) offered by AT&T for more than a month, if memory serves, and I did not notice any performance degradation at all after the upgrade.

I think the trouble may have started after viewing a video link in an email or on Facebook but I may be mistaken. My first thought was maybe something malicious was delivered with the video. I already had both Avast and Advanced Mobile Care installed on my device and have run both multiple times...neither has detected anything malicious. I have not installed many new apps in the last month though dozens of apps have been updated in the month of February so it would be extremely difficult and disruptive to try and pinpoint if the slowness is related to a particular app.

Has anyone else had a significant lag develop in the past 2 weeks?

sponsored links
Old February 28th, 2014, 04:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡

Device(s): Moto X 16 GB / Stock all the way on AIO Wireless
Carrier: Aio Wireless

Thanked 6,729 Times in 3,975 Posts

I am not with AT&T, but I am with Sprint and have not noticed or heard of any issues as of late, I would say if it still continues, I would do a Factory Reset, and see if that resolves the issue. Make sure you back up your important stuff from your device just incase. Usually after an update it is always best to FR, hope that helps, at this stage it is hard to pin point an exact issue so a FR will most likely resolve your issue. If it continues after FR then a hardware issue might be the cause.

Sticky: Lost/Stolen or Locked out of Device. Read Here!

Site Rules/Guidelines
If something needs attention, Report it .
If someone helped you, hit to show it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DonB For This Useful Post:
laffery (March 10th, 2014), tube517 (February 28th, 2014)
Old February 28th, 2014, 04:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC ONE, Galaxy SIII retired, Note 2 (Ditto DN3.2 JB4.3) , ASUS TF300 (JB 4.2.1 stock roo
Carrier: 3 UK

Hi, I have just looked at Advanced Mobile Care to see what it does and noticed that it has an anti-theft element built in, similar I guess to Avast, which I use myself.

I believe it is not advisable to run two apps concurrently, doing the same tasks at system level, like the two apps mentioned. I am not saying that running Avast and Advanced Mobile Care are definitely responsible, but it could well be the case. In any event I think there is no benefit running both.

First of all I would uninstall both and see what happens, then, if the performance improves, decide which of the two you want to try to reintroduce.
The Following User Says Thank You to heat57 For This Useful Post:
laffery (March 10th, 2014)
Old February 28th, 2014, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Note 2 Rooted, stock ROM 4.1.2
Carrier: Proximus

Try rebooting in Safe Mode, then check the performance.
The Following User Says Thank You to vosg For This Useful Post:
Old March 1st, 2014, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II

OP, when you say slow, do you mean like freeze for a while and then back to normal after a few minutes? I am seeing that in the last 2 weeks which I have never seen before. It happens mostly in the morning. It could be the email app or facebook app or the flipboard app. It seems to freeze the phone and even the home button won't work. But every time it eventually came back and the phone seems normal again.

I updated a few apps including Facebook and Flipboard and it seems to happen less often now. I still see it about once every 2 days though. And I am on AT&T too.. 4.3. But I don't think it is related to 4.3 since I have it for a while now.. and this freezing just started to happen about 2 weeks ago.
laffery likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to lcneed For This Useful Post:
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heat57 View Post
Hi, I have just looked at Advanced Mobile Care to see what it does and noticed that it has an anti-theft element built in, similar I guess to Avast, which I use myself.

I believe it is not advisable to run two apps concurrently, doing the same tasks at system level, like the two apps mentioned. I am not saying that running Avast and Advanced Mobile Care are definitely responsible, but it could well be the case. In any event I think there is no benefit running both.

First of all I would uninstall both and see what happens, then, if the performance improves, decide which of the two you want to try to reintroduce.
heat57,

I considered that before installing both. But, I've been running both for many months so I don't think having two endpoint security apps on my device is the issue. Advanced Mobile Care does not have a real-time AV scanning component, only on demand scans.
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcneed View Post
OP, when you say slow, do you mean like freeze for a while and then back to normal after a few minutes? I am seeing that in the last 2 weeks which I have never seen before. It happens mostly in the morning. It could be the email app or facebook app or the flipboard app. It seems to freeze the phone and even the home button won't work. But every time it eventually came back and the phone seems normal again.

I updated a few apps including Facebook and Flipboard and it seems to happen less often now. I still see it about once every 2 days though. And I am on AT&T too.. 4.3. But I don't think it is related to 4.3 since I have it for a while now.. and this freezing just started to happen about 2 weeks ago.
lcneed,

Sounds like we are having very similar issues. I, too, doubt its the 4.3 update because the freezing didn't start to occur until days or weeks after the update. I keep most of my apps up-to-date but have a few, including Facebook, which I haven't updated in several months because of new access the updates require.

I haven't noticed whether the freezing is worse in the AM...I'll watch to verify that on my end.

The freezing/lagging is extremely annoying, given my Note 2 was always so responsive before. Ugh!
Old March 10th, 2014, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note II

I haven't have any freezes for a while now... after I updated all the apps. I have no idea which one did the trick though. Although I did notice that after I updated all the apps, my battery is now about 20% worst. I used to have about 30% left at the end of the day.. now I am usually around 10%.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Tags
lagging, performance, slowness

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2