Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 8th, 2014, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 27
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Verizon Note 2 very laggy after KitKat update

Hello,

Verizon's tech support is useless, so I'm asking here, because I know I'll get real answers.

I got the 4.4 Kit Kat OTA update a couple of weeks ago. I now have to reboot every 2-3 days. The phone is fine for a while, but will then slow right down, to the point where it takes a minute of swiping madly to unlock it.

Clearing out RAM using the task manager also works to free it up. However, it's not really using any more now than it used to on Jelly Bean (1.51 GB vs 1.49 GB). Out of 1.74 GB available.

Anyone have any insight into this? I'd roll back to JB if I could!

Thanks

Advertisements
andrewbee is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
smilesandwaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 61
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I'm having the same issue. After upgrading Google more takes forever to start up and when I click the mic it takes about 6 second before it will allow voice commands, then it usually won't recognize them.

I will not be buying a Samsung device again.
smilesandwaves is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 05:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 28
 
Device(s): Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 17
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Have both of you done a factory reset? I've heard of a couple of Kit Kat issues (camera related) that don't show improvement from this, but a reset will usually take care of any OS upgrade problems.
Toddo97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 05:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
smilesandwaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 61
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddo97 View Post
Have both of you done a factory reset? I've heard of a couple of Kit Kat issues (camera related) that don't show improvement from this, but a reset will usually take care of any OS upgrade problems.
Honestly, I've been trying to avoid this. Resets are a ton of work and resetting up everything takes times, and you lose a lot of information.... That's one thing android isn't good at, backing up information like texts and app settings.
smilesandwaves is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 93
 
Device(s): Note 2 Tab 3 10.1
Carrier: O2

Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilesandwaves View Post
Honestly, I've been trying to avoid this. Resets are a ton of work and resetting up everything takes times, and you lose a lot of information.... That's one thing android isn't good at, backing up information like texts and app settings.
but unfortunately in many cases it is the best way to sort problems.
Rheumatoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 08:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 198
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 24
Thanked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Default Backing up

SMS Backup and restore will back up all your text. Its free. You just need to take the backup file and put it on ext sd or e mail it to yourself. Its a breeze. As for apps. Plenty of ways to back them up. Including tb if rooted. Yes, you may have to enter a name and pw on some. Thats security. Honestly it takes me about 10 minutes. Nothing beats a fresh phone.
pckarma112 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 09:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: U.S.A. Connecticut
Gender: Male
Posts: 147
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (SGH-I497)
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 13
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbee View Post
Hello,

Verizon's tech support is useless, so I'm asking here, because I know I'll get real answers.

I got the 4.4 Kit Kat OTA update a couple of weeks ago. I now have to reboot every 2-3 days. The phone is fine for a while, but will then slow right down, to the point where it takes a minute of swiping madly to unlock it.

Clearing out RAM using the task manager also works to free it up. However, it's not really using any more now than it used to on Jelly Bean (1.51 GB vs 1.49 GB). Out of 1.74 GB available.

Anyone have any insight into this? I'd roll back to JB if I could!

Thanks
Was JB your original OS?

Are you Rooted? If so, you can use Odin to go back to JB....and Titanium Back Up to save and restore all you want.

I myself, went from ICS to an update to Jelly Bean (Extremely lagy and freezing all the time). Held Factory Reset it many time with no success. It was just a sucky phone to use with all these laggy freezing issues. I then went to Kit Kat (4.4.2) Had some other issues and did a Factory Reset. Works like a charm. Just like a brand new phone. Yeah, it takes some time to put everything back they way you had it. I am not rooted, I use Nova Launcher (It has a back up setting on it) I back that up and a few of my widgets. It gave me a chance to clean out the apps I never used.

Now I love this phone again!!!

I am on the AT&T network btw....
Homeuser66 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 10:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 112
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I have the same issue lag everywhere now.

The biggest annoyance for me is YouTube. When watching videos through the app, constant buffering. Unwatchable.

I've cleared cache and data in the app and no help. This is usually on 4g. And I get 10/10 when doing a speeed test.

Anyone seen this or have a fix? Ice also tried removing all updates for the youtube app.

I never realized how much I use that app until now.
pauly814 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Announced at IFA 2012, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 follows its predecessor with a focus on creativity. The device improves the experience by adding more S-Pen functionality and new-generation specs, not to mention the slightly larger 5.5-inch display... Read More

Tags
kitkat, note 2, verizon


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.