Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree29Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 10th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #51 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

or maybe it is Pentile

GALAXY Note 3

Quote:
I have confirmed with the actual device that AMOLED has been officially announced on the 4th September in Berlin, Germany of "GALAXY Note 3" is a PenTile array.

GALAXY Note II was adopted AMOLED array of RGB, but has adopted a PenTile array in GALAXY Note 3. Also If you take a closer look at the pixel arrangement, it is the diamond PenTile same sequence as the Galaxy S4.

FHD display resolution is very fine That said, it is possible to determine with the naked eye PenTile is almost impossible. There is no need to worry about.

GALAXY Note 3 is expected to be released in October or later docomo au in Japan.

sponsored links
Old September 13th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #52 (permalink)

Device(s):

Can the Gear be used as a "phone" without a headset? For example, can I leave my real phone in my pocket, initiate and/or answer a call on my gear, and hold it up to my ear like a regular phone?

My hope is to leave my larger Note 3 in my pocket when I'm in my car or walking around and handle phone calls on the Gear, without having to use a headset. I'm even hoping to get rid of the watch band (although I doubt I can, it's connected electronically and also probably has antennas) and carry it around like a mini phone.
Old September 15th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #53 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedoc View Post
Can the Gear be used as a "phone" without a headset? For example, can I leave my real phone in my pocket, initiate and/or answer a call on my gear, and hold it up to my ear like a regular phone?

My hope is to leave my larger Note 3 in my pocket when I'm in my car or walking around and handle phone calls on the Gear, without having to use a headset. I'm even hoping to get rid of the watch band (although I doubt I can, it's connected electronically and also probably has antennas) and carry it around like a mini phone.
It's my understanding that the Gear watch can answer calls as it also has a built-in speaker and mic on the watch band.
Old September 15th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #54 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
And if you disliked the first iteration of Galaxy Gear, Samsung confirms to bring many new variants that will suit your needs.
Galaxy Gear is just a start, more smartwatches expected from Samsung | SamMobile
Old September 15th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #55 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy S2 Galaxy Note Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: T Mobile UK

[QUOTE=spinedoc;6137237

I'm even hoping to get rid of the watch band (although I doubt I can, it's connected electronically and also probably has antennas) and carry it around like a mini phone.[/QUOTE]

Maybe Samsung will release the 'Flavor Flav' version
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1379280256978.jpg (45.5 KB, 18 views)
Last edited by MISS DIVA; September 15th, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old September 17th, 2013, 05:36 AM   #56 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 3, Huawei E586 MiFi
Carrier: Vodafone/Three/O2

I'm just very glad to have got rid of watches - period. I certainly never want to go back to having one on my wrist ever again.
The_Chief likes this.
Old September 17th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #57 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Droid Incredible(retired) Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Verizon)

I stopped wearing a watch because all it did was tell time. Maybe if it gave me the small snippets of info I pull my phone out for. Weather. Texts. Etc. I might go with the gear.
Old September 17th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #58 (permalink)
Accept no imitations!

Device(s): Note 3 (rooted & ROMmed), Galaxy Nexus (retired), OG Droid (retired)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 6,921 Times in 3,277 Posts

Call me cheap, but a $400 watch had better tell me the time, give me weather, texts, mail, make calls, give directions, and make me breakfast in the morning

Since I have a PHONE that does all but one of the above, I guess I just need breakfast.

When my Darling Bride retired, I told her good, she could start making me a hot breakfast before work. She said "you want a hot breakfast?" I said of course. She handed me a lighter and said "here, sport, set your corn flakes on fire."

No lie
MISS DIVA and thirstypirate like this.

If I have helped you at all, please click the "Thanks" button
Forum Rules & Guidelines
Old September 17th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny772 View Post
I stopped wearing a watch because all it did was tell time. Maybe if it gave me the small snippets of info I pull my phone out for. Weather. Texts. Etc. I might go with the gear.
I just never want anything on my wrist, thanks.

And I think this whole class will fail commercially because not enough people will.
Old September 17th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #60 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I don't wear anything on my wrists either though every once in a while I'll wear my Panerai if I have to dress up. The only things turning me off about this watch are the aesthetics and battery life. Remedy those 2, and they'll have themselves a great product.
sponsored links
Old September 17th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #61 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: AT&T

I wear an Omega Seamaster Chronometer. Good news is that, apart from being quite the handsome timepiece, I don't ever have to charge it (it's an automatic), bad news is all it does is tell me the time and date

It would be great if they could figure out a way to power a smartwatch based upon movement, or at least as a supplement to the battery so it lasts longer between recharges.
Old September 17th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #62 (permalink)
AF's janitor

Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Note II Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 4,636 Times in 1,730 Posts
twospirits411@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny772 View Post
Its funny, when I was younger I wore a watch and was always asked the time but the watch stopped working. I then for some reason got a new one and started wearing it on the other wrist and folks thoughts that was weird. then in my mid 20's I stopped completely.

I don't need a watch, but for some crazy strange reason I really want this Gear. (or at least see it in person)

TS
Members, want to make this place better, just ask the staff. Remember, the "No' is always there, you are just looking for the "Yes". and please read the guidelines, otherwise you may end up in Banlandia.

Google + and twitter user.
Click below for image/list of devices...

Old September 17th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #63 (permalink)

Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2
Carrier: V

Quote:
Originally Posted by twospirits View Post
Its funny, when I was younger I wore a watch and was always asked the time but the watch stopped working. I then for some reason got a new one and started wearing it on the other wrist and folks thoughts that was weird. then in my mid 20's I stopped completely.

I don't need a watch, but for some crazy strange reason I really want this Gear. (or at least see it in person)

TS
Perhaps you might want to wait until early next year for Gear 2 Just read this: Samsung planning Galaxy Gear 2 for CES or MWC launch

As for the whole concept of smartwatch, and I hope soon we are going to have a separate section for it on AF , once you understand it's functionality - you will realize that you can't live without it lol!!! I have been using my MetaWatch for a few months now, and can't imagine a day at work without it. At home, I take my watch off and "disconnect" it from the phone so I don't drain battery. At work my phone is always on mute (I get phone call notifications on my wrist), I have all my home/work email notification going straight to my phone so I discretely glance at my wrist during meeting to see who sent me email, I have all my calendar notifications and text messages pop-up on my watch, I have today's weather and 3-day forecast on my watch screen and also battery percentage of the phone indicator. I control my bluetooth speakers from my watch where I can skip through playlist of songs on my phone. I also no longer forget my phone in the car (where I use it as GPS) since I get a buzz on my wrist when phone left behind; and in general when I'm driving I just glance at my wrist to see who sent me email, etc. instead of playing with a phone.

That is a principle of smart watch - not to replace your smart phone but to be it's remote extension where you keep your phablet in the pocket or the purse or somewhere buried under the papers on your desk and get notifications which you can act upon if you decide to explore email/messages further.
john248 likes this.

Complete List of all smartphone and tablet Accessory and Gadget REVIEWS by Twister => HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old September 24th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #64 (permalink)

Christine of Samsung in London with the Galaxy Gear. People kept calling it just to see her jump.

john248 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon_Gardner For This Useful Post:
KOLIO (September 25th, 2013)
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #65 (permalink)

Device(s): Too many to keep track of. But most recently a Note 2 and Note 3.
Carrier: Verizon

I want the shirt...just in dude size. I don't look good in form fitted attire.
KOLIO and Simon_Gardner like this.
Old September 24th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #66 (permalink)

I don't know, but just don't feel any excitement about Gear. There is a possibility I might get a chance to run my "Twister" reviews of Gear, SW2, and Kreyos. But to be honest, I'm more curious about those rather then excited. The smartwatch which I'm anxiously waiting to test and possibly will get my wish is Omate TrueSmart. And thank God its IP67 water resistant 'cause I'm going to be drooling all over it

mrex likes this.
Old September 25th, 2013, 01:44 AM   #67 (permalink)

I think it will be a commercial failure - but what do I know?
Old September 25th, 2013, 03:01 AM   #68 (permalink)

Default More shirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrain311 View Post
I want the shirt...just in dude size. I don't look good in form fitted attire.
More shirts.

twospirits likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon_Gardner For This Useful Post:
twospirits (September 25th, 2013)
Old September 28th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #69 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 10.1 3G +Sony Smartwatch SW2 +ms mobile wedge keyboard +ms touch mouse

Specs of Omate sounds cool, but the watch itself... Oh boy... They were talking about a designing on the vid, but the watch looks exactly the same as I used to have when I was a kid. A 10 dollars rubber watch around my wrist - only the mickey mouse is missing. Omate doesn't look cool, it looks like having an army kind "everybody sync your time now!" watch They should design it again and look around to see what kind of watches everybody wears. But the best part is that there will be a competition between manufacturers and smart watches will be as good as we are expecting them to be for less money. I bet Samsung will give us better specs soon and Apple is busy copying... ehm.. sorry... designing iAmazing watch, so it will be a win scenario soon for customers =p I cant wait to see premium watches from Samsung and Sony, Gear was just an opening and Sony is already offering second round...
Old September 28th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #70 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I find myself not as into this watch as before. The barely 1 day charge is what's holding me back. I do like most everything else though the design could be much better. I'm almost certain Crapple will make their's look similar to the Nano watch that they had. The rubber wrist bands don't bother me as much since I use them as well on my Panerai at times.
sponsored links
Old September 28th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrex View Post
Specs of Omate sounds cool, but the watch itself... Oh boy... They were talking about a designing on the vid, but the watch looks exactly the same as I used to have when I was a kid. A 10 dollars rubber watch around my wrist - only the mickey mouse is missing. Omate doesn't look cool, it looks like having an army kind "everybody sync your time now!" watch They should design it again and look around to see what kind of watches everybody wears. But the best part is that there will be a competition between manufacturers and smart watches will be as good as we are expecting them to be for less money. I bet Samsung will give us better specs soon and Apple is busy copying... ehm.. sorry... designing iAmazing watch, so it will be a win scenario soon for customers =p I cant wait to see premium watches from Samsung and Sony, Gear was just an opening and Sony is already offering second round...
Just think about basic concept of any watch. What makes it stand out is a watch face and a wristband. Having all those non-replaceable wristband with built in functionality is kind of asking for trouble, especially if you want your watch to be waterproof. Having an option to be replaceable - opens up an opportunity to spice it up later. So the biggy is watch face. Have you seen selection of watch faces offered with Omate? Take a look HERE. Watch closely, they all animated to show you dynamic notifications and time change. I believe the watch face will be off by default to preserve battery life (similar to what Sony is doing), but there might be a power safe mode or something like that for constant glanceable option, sometime in a future. A few of XDA developers already looking into this.

What I would like to see is for Omate to use Mirasol display technology (similar to Qualcomm TOQ announcement) with a color display that can stay on constantly for days on a single battery charge. Other then that, the design and the spec is very serious! Oh, and btw it was confirmed that Samsung themselves ordered 3 pairs of Omate TrueSmart watch developers edition just to get their hands on it next month. Surprised?
Old September 29th, 2013, 05:39 AM   #72 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 10.1 3G +Sony Smartwatch SW2 +ms mobile wedge keyboard +ms touch mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
Have you seen selection of watch faces offered with Omate? Take a look HERE. Watch closely, they all animated to show you dynamic notifications and time change.
But it is not the faces, animations or even functionality. It is the design and are you able to wear it. Omate looks bulky, looks 80's, it's not attractive at all... I bet it might be the best watch for sport, running in the forrest and taking time on the pool but would you wear it at a work, restaurant...? Would it be comfortable with long sleeves or do you need to let buttons open to get the sleeve over the watch? If you cannot wear it IRL, it doesnt matter how many animated faces it has an how cool it is.

Samsung also made some bulky, abit over stuffed watch. The cam on the band is just a cool stuff to add, but it had to pay the prize over the design and usability.

Quote:
Oh, and btw it was confirmed that Samsung themselves ordered 3 pairs of Omate TrueSmart watch developers edition just to get their hands on it next month. Surprised?
As they all do...

Sony is on the right way in smartwatch business. It look classy, simple and wearable. Samsung has nice, modern design, but it looks abit bulky. Omate, their part, are going to make a sport watch for guys who like to have some tech around their wrists.

But that was only my opinion. Im looking for a smartwatch that i can use 24/7. I was quite disappointed in Gear - maybe was hoping and expexting too much.
Old September 30th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
But it is not the faces, animations or even functionality. It is the design and are you able to wear it. Omate looks bulky, looks 80's, it's not attractive at all... I bet it might be the best watch for sport, running in the forrest and taking time on the pool but would you wear it at a work, restaurant...? Would it be comfortable with long sleeves or do you need to let buttons open to get the sleeve over the watch? If you cannot wear it IRL, it doesnt matter how many animated faces it has an how cool it is.

Samsung also made some bulky, abit over stuffed watch. The cam on the band is just a cool stuff to add, but it had to pay the prize over the design and usability.
Well, that was my original thinking as well, regarding bulk. Since I reviewed MetaWatch smartwatches, I originally had their STRATA model which is sportier and more rugged one. I do work in R&D of a large telecomm labs and have my share of lab and office work. I figured FRAME version of that watch (the same guts, different design) would be more appropriate; a detailed comparison is here: Review of MetaWatch smart watch with lots of pics!!!

Once I got it, I started to realize how much more careful I'm with my watch because FRAME is not as rugged. Furthermore, I started to notice how many Casio G-Shock watches are people wearing. The more people I talked to, the more I realized that guys at my work either don't wear a watch (using phone instead) or they wear G-Shock instead. And G-Shock is bigger then Omate. As a matter of fact, G-Shock now has Bluetooth version so you can receive call, txt, emails, and calendar notifications.

Bottom line, I will be switching back to STRATA, especially closer to winter season when I spend more time playing with my kids in the snow Or perhaps, I will be wearing Omate at that time or maybe Sony SW2. Will see. My only concern with all these watches is that display stays off to preserve battery. I wish they would all use Mirasol display as demonstrated by Qualcomm TOQ. Coincidentally, Qualcomm just announced they will not sell TOQ

Quote:
Sony is on the right way in smartwatch business. It look classy, simple and wearable. Samsung has nice, modern design, but it looks abit bulky. Omate, their part, are going to make a sport watch for guys who like to have some tech around their wrists.

But that was only my opinion. Im looking for a smartwatch that i can use 24/7. I was quite disappointed in Gear - maybe was hoping and expexting too much.
I agree Sony SW2 looks promising, especially since v2 is back with micro-usb port which is easy to use without removing watch from the bracelet and it's also splash proofed. Plus, a developer behind a popular app Augmented SmartWatch Pro joined their team on consulting basis to help them with notifications - a huge plus for SW2 usability.

Regarding Gear - I wish there would be more people on AF chiming in (probably from UK for now) with their comments and impressions. So far from everything I have read in other places, people are saying its a very cheaply made design and poor implementation where a lot of the software doesn't work well with N3. Battery life is 1-2 days with a light to medium use. IMHO, software will be updated and optimized, this is a new product and people getting it now are just beta testers. But hardware will stay the same until rev 2 is released

Would have been great to have a separate smartwatch section here on AF. I'm sure a lot of the people would be interested to chime in with their discussions and opinions
Old September 30th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #74 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): HTC ONE M8 | LG G-FLEX/G-PAD 8.3 | LG GOOGLE TV G3 | SAMSUNG GEAR FIT | QUALCOMM TOQ | CHROMECAST
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Thanked 1,534 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote:
I wish they would all use Mirasol display as demonstrated by Qualcomm TOQ. Coincidentally, Qualcomm just announced they will not sell TOQ
Where are you hearing this?

Extremely disappointing,to put it mildly.

Was looking forward to even having a chance,or better,actually getting one of these.
Old September 30th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOLIO View Post
Where are you hearing this?

Extremely disappointing,to put it mildly.

Was looking forward to even having a chance,or better,actually getting one of these.
Qualcomm will not be selling the Toq smartwatch after all | The Smart Watch Review
The Following User Says Thank You to twister6 For This Useful Post:
KOLIO (September 30th, 2013)
Old September 30th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #76 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): HTC ONE M8 | LG G-FLEX/G-PAD 8.3 | LG GOOGLE TV G3 | SAMSUNG GEAR FIT | QUALCOMM TOQ | CHROMECAST
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Thanked 1,534 Times in 1,148 Posts

This woulda been sweet,paired up w/the GN3.

If it were made available,it might have changed the way some people view phones this size,utiizing the watch for most-common used functions.

Oh,well,maybe later on...............
Old September 30th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOLIO View Post

This woulda been sweet,paired up w/the GN3.

If it were made available,it might have changed the way some people view phones this size,utiizing the watch for most-common used functions.

Oh,well,maybe later on...............
I thought so too. TOQ had the best of all the worlds (Qualcomm Toq Smartwatch), but perhaps the business model of selling it as a product didn't make sense to them, so I think they will just license/sell these displays to others.
KOLIO likes this.
Old October 1st, 2013, 11:15 PM   #78 (permalink)

In case if you didn't seen it, Engadget posted a very good review of Gear: Samsung Galaxy Gear review
twospirits and john248 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to twister6 For This Useful Post:
twospirits (October 2nd, 2013)
Old October 2nd, 2013, 10:51 AM   #79 (permalink)

Device(s): SGN3 on O2 UK

Why? That is my question about the gear (or any other smart watch).
A watch is supposed to look nice on your wrist... Something to be proud of. Buy a casio if you want features you'll never use and spend the money you save on something worthwhile! Just my 2 penneth...
Old October 2nd, 2013, 11:11 AM   #80 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: AT&T

Because you can't answer calls with a Casio?
sponsored links
Old October 2nd, 2013, 11:15 AM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonerp View Post
Why? That is my question about the gear (or any other smart watch).
A watch is supposed to look nice on your wrist... Something to be proud of.
Er no. Only if you were a bit pretentious. A watch was for telling the time - in which function it is now pretty much superfluous. Good riddance,
Old October 2nd, 2013, 11:27 AM   #82 (permalink)
AF's janitor

Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Note II Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 4,636 Times in 1,730 Posts
twospirits411@gmail.com

Quote:
I thought so too. TOQ had the best of all the worlds (Qualcomm Toq Smartwatch), but perhaps the business model of selling it as a product didn't make sense to them, so I think they will just license/sell these displays to others.
aarrgghhh
What is it with Mirasol and things not working out for them?

I still do not understand how devices of today haven't come up with a good display that allows you to see in direct sunlight. Except for the Kindle series and Mirasol display there is nothing else, nothing, zip nada.

The only device I've seen that has actually came to market from Mirasol and worked well was the display on the Notion Ink Tablet and that failed due to the incompetence of NI. Now this. It just seems that they can't get their products out to the consumer. aarrgghh

anyway back on topic, I decided that I may just get the Note 3 even if it isn't Triband on Sprint, but the Gear I would have to see it in person but at this point in time, the odds are no for the Gear. Now the Sony smartwatch on the other hand is looking more of a yes.

TS

TS
KOLIO likes this.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 11:51 AM   #83 (permalink)

Device(s): SGN3 on O2 UK

I must be really pretentious then as I have quite a few watches... Even a casio!
And why would I want to answer the phone with a watch when I have an n3 burning a hole on my pocket?
Sorry just don't get it.... And at 300/$...come on..!
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:47 PM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonerp View Post
I must be really pretentious then as I have quite a few watches... Even a casio!
And why would I want to answer the phone with a watch when I have an n3 burning a hole on my pocket?
Sorry just don't get it.... And at 300/$...come on..!
It's absurd. For people too idle to get the phone out of their pocket.
bonerp likes this.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 02:12 PM   #85 (permalink)

Well, im thinking to get one because im carrying my phone on a bag. Note 10.1 doesnt fit in my pocket If i had just a normal size phone, I propably wouldnt buy any smartwatch.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 02:52 PM   #86 (permalink)

My Note 3 is in my armpit - nice and safe and that's where I like it. Just like all my phones have always been.

I believe it when people say they put phones on a belt clip but I can't think of anywhere worse apart from maybe an ankle holster.
hbryder likes this.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 10:34 AM   #87 (permalink)

I got an email today from Samsung, and they said that Gear wont work with Note 10.1 (gt-n8000) until it get Android 4.3 and they didnt know when this will happen. So I think im going to buy SW2 then for a xmas gift for myself ( or maybe after xmas from sale, lol)
Simon_Gardner likes this.
Old October 5th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #88 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

All the sample pics I've seen from the Galaxy Gear camera seems to be pretty good for a 1.9 MP.
The Following User Says Thank You to john248 For This Useful Post:
KOLIO (October 5th, 2013)
Old October 5th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #89 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, rooted, on HyperDrive
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Techbargains is reporting that you can get the gear from Tmobile for $209.99 if you use the code FALLFUN30.

I was also a part of the Galaxy Nexus thread, then tried the iphone 5 for a few months but gave it to my son and went back to GNex. I pre-ordered the Note 3 from Verizon and am eager for the bigger screen, better battery life and perhaps the pen, but I don't think the watch is for me. Still, $90 off makes it a bit more intriguing...

Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Samsung is coming back with its legendary phablet. The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 comes packed with the best of specs, featuring a 5.7-inch display, a Snapdragon 800 procesor, a 3200 mAh battery and all the specs you can expect from a top-end device.&nb... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3