Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

Like Tree35Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 20th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #101 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, then G2, then Note 3, then G2, then Nexus 5, then Crapple 5S, now back on Note 3 again
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chief View Post
Han, you had such high hopes for the G2! What happened? I mean, welcome to the Note 3 waiting room... but what exactly brought you here, if you don't mind my asking?
Lol

I enjoyed the G2, but as I would watch a movie to tv show, I kept thinking, "This screen could be even bigger!"

Also, I didn't like the fact that I had to find a workaround with the nav bar. I know you like it, but to me it shrinks the usable space on the screen. I prefer a dedicated button with a screen as big as it says it is!!

sponsored links
Old September 20th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #102 (permalink)
Accept no imitations!

Device(s): Note 3 (rooted & ROMmed), Galaxy Nexus (retired), OG Droid (retired)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 6,921 Times in 3,277 Posts

Well, I think what shrunk the notifications usable space wasn't so much the nav bars below as much as the toggles and garbage up above. The G2's notification panel was flamed for being all toggles and room for maybe one or two notifications... that's it.

Anyway, Han, glad to have you over to the LARGE Side
HanSolo likes this.

If I have helped you at all, please click the "Thanks" button
Forum Rules & Guidelines
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Chief For This Useful Post:
HanSolo (September 20th, 2013)
Old September 20th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #103 (permalink)

Device(s): White Galaxy Note 3, Motorola Bionic(retired), HTC Touch Pro 2 (retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
Although this may be old news to many, there is a Verizon Wireless website for ordering phones at full retail, which allows you to keep your Unlimited Data (assuming you still have it. The link is:

https://preorder.verizonwireless.com/iconic/

Once you sign in as an "Existing Customer", be sure to check the icon for "Device without Wireless", which is for shopping for phones with no annual contract. This is how I expect to get the Note 3 while retaining my unlimited.
I used the iconic site to order today. Used existing customer. Selected the correct phone to update. Choice were month-to-month, new 2year deal, or the edge. Only in the month-to-month do they allow you to select and keep your existing $29.99 data plan. With the edge plan, if you wanted you could opt for the Verizon Maxx plan. $30 for 6GB but no mobile hotspot.

Can't wait to get this baby in.
Old September 21st, 2013, 12:25 PM   #104 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid2 global Droidx Droidx2 Bionic
Carrier: Not Provided

I recognize a lot of names from when we were waiting for the galaxy nexus to be released. that thread was big. To bad that phone didn't work out for me. Can't wait for this one.
Old September 21st, 2013, 11:15 PM   #105 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Note 3 incoming!), Samsung Galaxy S4 (Wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempco View Post
I recognize a lot of names from when we were waiting for the galaxy nexus to be released. that thread was big. To bad that phone didn't work out for me. Can't wait for this one.

I can't believe I have had my nexus this long (2 years now?). It has had some hiccups but for the most part has been a good phone to me. Time to retire the old girl and put her in the drawer as a backup phone.
mastervm likes this.
Old September 21st, 2013, 11:23 PM   #106 (permalink)

Device(s): Too many to keep track of. But most recently a Note 2 and Note 3.

I enjoyed the nexus but I think I enjoyed the crazy a$$ forum even more! Any time of day or night, you could read new posts. And it went on for months!

Edit: even after its release, the watering hole was entertaining.
mastervm likes this.
Last edited by atrain311; September 21st, 2013 at 11:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to atrain311 For This Useful Post:
BobF (September 22nd, 2013)
Old September 22nd, 2013, 12:11 AM   #107 (permalink)

Device(s): verizon samsung nexus
Carrier: verizon

Smile Verizon Loyalty program

i said good bye to my verizon store manager today as I explained it was time to move to t-mobile and cut my monthly bill in half. the manager has known me for a while.

I was told to call the verizon loyalty name through customer service and I did so.

my current unlimited everything plan with insurance of $5.18 per month works out to about $144. the offerred me the following incentive for either a one or two year contract:

$60 per moth for unlimited talk and text in the usa--no roaming. 2 gigs of 4 lte data and $10 for each extra gig without limit. i only go over 2 gigs per months on rare occasions when I have longer driving trip with google maps and pandora going for many hours.
-i can continue to use teathering through a third party application.
- extra charges including tax, verizon fees and my basic $5.18 monthly insurance is about $74 per month
-----------------------
I am eligible for an upgrade subsidy. my new one year contract would start tomorrow. if I chose to up grade, then I will be obligated to extend my special LOYALY PROGRAM CONTRACT for two years from the upgrade date
under this special rate plan.

To me this makes more sense than moving to t-moble--they got me and i am giving up my unlimited data plan.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 01:12 AM   #108 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 Galaxy Nexus (retired), OG Droid (retired), Nexus 7, Nexus 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrain311 View Post
I enjoyed the nexus but I think I enjoyed the crazy a$$ forum even more! Any time of day or night, you could read new posts. And it went on for months!

Edit: even after its release, the watering hole was entertaining.
I agree! I was up at all hours trying to stay up with all the posts on the forthcoming Galaxy Nexus. While I'm really looking forward to my pre-ordered Note 3 (which will replace my GNex), the activity here is just a fraction of that of the Galaxy Nexus. As promising as the Note 3 is, I'm surprised there isn't more activity.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 07:54 AM   #109 (permalink)

Device(s): GNex - LTE ........ Moto Xoom ........................ Droid Incredible ............... *no apples*

The Gnex had so much activity because it was such a complete redesign. Then the chatter continued because it had so many issues.

I look forward to retiring my Gnex and starting a new chapter with the Note 3.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 08:28 AM   #110 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
I agree! I was up at all hours trying to stay up with all the posts on the forthcoming Galaxy Nexus. While I'm really looking forward to my pre-ordered Note 3 (which will replace my GNex), the activity here is just a fraction of that of the Galaxy Nexus. As promising as the Note 3 is, I'm surprised there isn't more activity.

Compared to the nexus forum, this one was like a ghost town, but I'm happy to see it picking up as we get closer.

While my excitement for the nexus was intense and based on the thrill of the unknown (I owed many androids prior, just not a vanilla one) this phone has me a different kind of excited. Knowing how great the 2 is, knowing that if the 3 wasn't coming out I'd be fine continuing on with the 2, I'm excited to get a supercharged version of a phone I deemed the best I've ever had.

This is similar to what's going to happen this November. I've already got the Xbox One on pre-order and can't wait. The 360 is phenomenal, so I'm pumped for the One. While the excitement of the unknown can be intense, the excitement of security and already knowing you're going to love it is pretty awesome too.
sponsored links
Old September 22nd, 2013, 08:33 AM   #111 (permalink)

Device(s): White Galaxy Note 3, Motorola Bionic(retired), HTC Touch Pro 2 (retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob52r View Post
i said good bye to my verizon store manager today as I explained it was time to move to t-mobile and cut my monthly bill in half. the manager has known me for a while.

I was told to call the verizon loyalty name through customer service and I did so.

my current unlimited everything plan with insurance of $5.18 per month works out to about $144. the offerred me the following incentive for either a one or two year contract:

$60 per moth for unlimited talk and text in the usa--no roaming. 2 gigs of 4 lte data and $10 for each extra gig without limit. i only go over 2 gigs per months on rare occasions when I have longer driving trip with google maps and pandora going for many hours.
-i can continue to use teathering through a third party application.
- extra charges including tax, verizon fees and my basic $5.18 monthly insurance is about $74 per month
-----------------------
I am eligible for an upgrade subsidy. my new one year contract would start tomorrow. if I chose to up grade, then I will be obligated to extend my special LOYALY PROGRAM CONTRACT for two years from the upgrade date
under this special rate plan.

To me this makes more sense than moving to t-moble--they got me and i am giving up my unlimited data plan.

Maybe I misread this, but its not really that great. Anyone on vzw unlimited can go and get the Verizon maxx plan. $30 for 6Gb p/month. So everything else would stay the same, but you get subsidized phone, replace $29.99 with $30. Its there way to try and get folks off unlimited
Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:45 AM   #112 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): HTC ONE M8 | LG G-FLEX/G-PAD 8.3/LG GTV G3 | SAMSUNG GEAR 2 & GEAR FIT | QUALCOMM TOQ | CHROMECAST
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by veccster View Post
The Gnex had so much activity because it was such a complete redesign. Then the chatter continued because it had so many issues.

I look forward to retiring my Gnex and starting a new chapter with the Note 3.
Ditto w/the HTC ONE,except once released,not too many flaws were found,& chatter was/is at a minimum.

Nice & friendly community though,the best of both worlds!
Old September 22nd, 2013, 11:17 AM   #113 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Droid Incredible(retired) Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Verizon)

I like my gnex but lately it's been very slow and randomly rebooting and not getting MMS. and I really want a note 3
And poor signal.
Last edited by jonny772; September 22nd, 2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 11:23 AM   #114 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid2 global Droidx Droidx2 Bionic

To bad the Gnex didn't work out for me. I did like phone and it was torture waiting for its release but the terrible signal killed it for me. I didn't think I would need a phone like the note 3, but I think it will help me with my air cond and heating business keeping track of info on the jobs better than my S4. This phone is also torture waiting for.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 02:16 PM   #115 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, then G2, then Note 3, then G2, then Nexus 5, then Crapple 5S, now back on Note 3 again

The GNex thread was epic. But really, it was a lightning-in-a-bottle thread.

I doubt we ever see the likes of it again.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 02:35 PM   #116 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSolo View Post
The GNex thread was epic. But really, it was a lightning-in-a-bottle thread.

I doubt we ever see the likes of it again.

Agreed. But man, it was fun.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:00 PM   #117 (permalink)
Accept no imitations!

You know, with all these other carriers announcing release on October 2nd or 4th, there is little doubt in my mind that we will get our Verizon Note 3 s long before the 10th
Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:57 PM   #118 (permalink)

Quote:
You know, with all these other carriers announcing release on October 2nd or 4th, there is little doubt in my mind that we will get our Verizon Note 3 s long before the 10th
I would love to feel the same way, Chief. But I know Verizon too well.

I feel a major pooch-screw, with us as the unwilling-but-taking-it victims.

Remember. It's Verizon.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 06:06 PM   #119 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Nexus 7, Droid DNA

Quote:
I'm really hoping that's the case, but I'm not optimistic. When I got the gs3 and note 2 they were already available on the other carriers for nearly a full month. I was actually excited when I found out we only had to wait until the 10th!
Old September 23rd, 2013, 08:26 PM   #120 (permalink)

Quote:
I would love to feel the same way, Chief. But I know Verizon too well.

I feel a major pooch-screw, with us as the unwilling-but-taking-it victims.

Remember. It's Verizon.
Remember that show "The Facts of Life" ? The theme song had the catchy phrase...

You take the good, the take the bad, and there you have the facts of life...

VzW does have the best 3G/4G network. Its engineered to the T. But with that comes a price. Higher service costs, more conservative in handset deployment. Consistent customer experience is more important to them than other carriers. Maybe the N3 is a week later who knows. But you can bet the N3 on VzW will be more more solid than on ANY other network.

And not that it matters, but working for a telecom infrastructure company that is 50% of the Vzw network, I can say I've not put in bug fixes for any specific handsets recently, save for Apple.
sponsored links
Old September 23rd, 2013, 11:11 PM   #121 (permalink)

Device(s):

Could've sworn Verizon pushed it from the 10th to the 12th, but now it's back to the 10th. lol I don't see anyone getting it early unless you live close to the shipping center.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 11:17 PM   #122 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john248 View Post
Could've sworn Verizon pushed it from the 10th to the 12th, but now it's back to the 10th. lol I don't see anyone getting it early unless you live close to the shipping center.
Yeah. I saw the 10th, then the 12th, now the 10th again. Hope for sooner. With a dead bionic and I am limping on a on HTC touch pro 2. The note 3 is eagerly awaited.
Old September 24th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #123 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetguat View Post
Yeah. I saw the 10th, then the 12th, now the 10th again. Hope for sooner. With a dead bionic and I am limping on a on HTC touch pro 2. The note 3 is eagerly awaited.
My Galaxy Nexus recently died, so I'm on my old Motorola Droid X. haha
Old September 24th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #124 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid (retired)

I recognize some of you guys in here from the pre-release Galaxy Nexus threads.
The_Chief and mastervm like this.
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #125 (permalink)

Oh Verizon. How I love and hate thee at the same time.

Send me my phone.
Old September 26th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #126 (permalink)

I can't wait!

Now with the news that the new Note 10.1 is coming Oct 10, I'm going to be having twins!!!

What a joyous occasion!
The_Chief and rivera02 like this.
Old September 26th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #127 (permalink)
Accept no imitations!

You too?

Darling Bride doesn't know it yet, but her birthday is next month and I am replacing our pos Viewsonic gTablet with a brand new Galaxy Tab 10.1.

She is going to flip out!
Old September 26th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #128 (permalink)

Quote:
You too?

Darling Bride doesn't know it yet, but her birthday is next month and I am replacing our pos Viewsonic gTablet with a brand new Galaxy Tab 10.1.

My wife would flip out too! Then hit me in the head with the tablet and tell me to get her a real birthday present.

You are a lucky man. :-)
rivera02 likes this.
Old September 26th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #129 (permalink)

Quote:
You too?

My wife is not into Android unfortunately. She is very happy with her iPhone 5. And she is getting an iPad 5 when it drops.

Now that I will have the 10.1 for a while before Crapple drops its load, she will have a nice test drive and then we'll see what she decides.

But can't blame her. She's not into gadgets really. She just wants something to browse the web, do her school work on, and that's pretty much it. Her best friends all have iPads so there you go.
Old September 26th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #130 (permalink)
Accept no imitations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrain311 View Post
My wife would flip out too! Then hit me in the head with the tablet and tell me to get her a real birthday present.

You are a lucky man. :-)
Thanks. She's always on the gTablet and it's a true piece of crap. I couldn't find a ROM newer than Honeycomb that it would run; graphics are mediocre; bezel is massive; sound is almost as bad as either camera. It's 4-5 year old technology! But you know what? It won me a TV - which I recently SOLD and am going to use the proceeds to buy her the Galaxy Tab.

Tell me that ain't true love

@HanSolo - they say opposites attract, y'know
atrain311 (September 26th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old September 26th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #131 (permalink)

Quote:
.....am going to use the proceeds to buy her the Galaxy Tab.
Oh, you're going with the Tab? I was talking about the Note 10.1, 2014 edition (what a stupid name).

Any reason why you wouldn't go with the Note 10.1?

It has all the same S-Pen features that our Note 3 has.
Old September 26th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #132 (permalink)
Accept no imitations!

Sorry, I was confused. Note it is.

It was either the Nexus 10 or the Samsung. I think she'll like the Sammy more
HanSolo likes this.
Old September 26th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #133 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanked 5,852 Times in 3,306 Posts
jhawkkw

If you plan on going to Europe or Asia and using the GSM abilities in the phone, don't expect it to work.

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #134 (permalink)

So I preordered the white version, but the more videos I see the more I think I want the black. Anyone know if I can bring the white one into the store when I receive it and exchange it straight up for the black, or will they hit me with the old "restocking" fee?
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #135 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivera02 View Post
So I preordered the white version, but the more videos I see the more I think I want the black. Anyone know if I can bring the white one into the store when I receive it and exchange it straight up for the black, or will they hit me with the old "restocking" fee?
I preordered white also. But I plan on using the slim armour case much hyped in this forum. So I figure only the white in the front face will be seen, and with the steel blue, that will look pretty cool.
The Following User Says Thank You to jetguat For This Useful Post:
rivera02 (September 26th, 2013)
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #136 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): HTC ONE M8 | LG G-FLEX/G-PAD 8.3/LG GTV G3 | SAMSUNG GEAR 2 & GEAR FIT | QUALCOMM TOQ | CHROMECAST
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,155 Posts

Quote:
Dunno,but,if you're reasonably sure that your location(s) will have stock on opening day,I'd just cancel the order & pick one up in-person,unless VZW has special pricing/incentives/freebies for ordering on-line.

I have pre-ordered on T-MOBILE & paid the extra $25 express/overnight shipping,but,if I do not hear anything from T-MOBILE/UPS within 48hrs of ETA,I'm cancelling & picking up locally,as T-MOBILE has DIDDLY-SQUAT for on-line shopping incentives.
The Following User Says Thank You to KOLIO For This Useful Post:
rivera02 (September 26th, 2013)
Old September 27th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #137 (permalink)

I pre-ordered the white as well, then canceled it and went with black. It looks much more premium to me, and given that the back door is replaceable, I'm not going with a case. Just a screen protector.

I like the white face, but I'm a little bit annoyed at the tiny black "bezel" on the screen itself when the display is on. Of course, it's the same on the black version, but you obviously don't notice it.
Old September 28th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #138 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Anyone Preorder vzw note 3 in the last couple of days?

What's the shipping date? Is it still the 10th?or get pushed back? Trying to decide if I should Preorder or have vzw rep hold one for me on launch day.
Old September 28th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #139 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTvert90 View Post
What's the shipping date? Is it still the 10th?or get pushed back? Trying to decide if I should Preorder or have vzw rep hold one for me on launch day.

My Verizon site still said expected on October 10
Old September 28th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #140 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 3; formerly Rezound, Droid Charge, and OG Droid
Carrier: VZW

Thanked 1,437 Times in 820 Posts

Just ordered my black GN3 on VZW via Edge, can't wait to replace my aging and increasingly hiccupy Rezound.

Also nice to see so many buds here from the old GNex threads. Heady times those!
The_Chief likes this.
sponsored links
Old September 28th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #141 (permalink)
Accept no imitations!

All my Verizon pre-order peeps:

I am not going to retype it all. But you might want to read THIS.

Let's get back to speculating and figuring out how to root this thing!
HanSolo (September 28th, 2013)
Old September 28th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #142 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 3, Nexus 7, Asus TF-101

Has anyone pre-ordered and used the VERIZON30 promo? I'm trying to get an N3 as a gift for my wife. I made it all the way to the screen where you enter your credit card number but did not see a place to enter the promo code.
Old September 28th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #143 (permalink)

Verizon Currently Allowing You to Upgrade and Keep Unlimited Data? – Droid Life

I'm sure somebody will find this interesting..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rivera02 For This Useful Post:
Thechidz (September 29th, 2013), The_Chief (September 28th, 2013)
Old September 28th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #144 (permalink)
Accept no imitations!

Quote:

Interesting, but that last sentence is a little misleading. 5 or 6 readers, out of how many? is not a "whole bunch". That's a handful who got lucky.

Then again, did they? Like the article says, it could be a system error that might be corrected upon activation. I'd hate to put my unlimited data on the table in a gamble like that.

But thanks for sharing - it is very interesting!
Old September 28th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #145 (permalink)

I'd never sign another contract with Verizon, no matter what.
Thechidz likes this.
Old September 28th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #146 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 3; formerly Rezound, Droid Charge, and OG Droid
Carrier: VZW

Thanked 1,437 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
I was pleasantly surprised that VZW let me keep Unlimited when placing my order tonight. I'll report back how that turns out after activating the new phone.
Old September 28th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #147 (permalink)

Device(s): Rezound

Hello, I just ordered my ph at the store and this time when i went back in the CSR offered to upgrade me using edge but keep my unlimited plan? Has anyone else had this offer, the CSR showed me the screen where it had it setup but i told him no that i wanted to pay full price to keep my month to month to make sure VZW didn't change there mind later
Old September 28th, 2013, 10:48 PM   #148 (permalink)

I'm trying the unlimited upgrade as well. If it's not on the contract when I go to activate it, I will just return it and revert back to unlimited.
Old September 28th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #149 (permalink)

I can confirm that the unlimited upgrade option is still working. I just went through the whole process. My confirmation email says I still have unlimited data.

I hopefully saved $400. If it doesn't work when I get it, I'll just return it to the local Verizon store and buy it outright, as I planned all along.
Last edited by HanSolo; September 29th, 2013 at 12:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to HanSolo For This Useful Post:
KOLIO (September 29th, 2013)
Old September 29th, 2013, 12:14 AM   #150 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
I can confirm that the unlimited upgrade option is still working. I just went through the whole process. My confirmation email says I still have unlimited data.

I hopefully saved $400. If it doesn't work when I get it, I'll just return it to the local Verizon store and buy it outright, as I planned all along.

Exactly. You really can't lose. If it works, then I saved $380. If it doesn't and they try to cancel the unlimited and force me into tiered then I'll cancel the order all together and pay full price like I intended on doing the whole time. I don't see any reason somebody who preordered wouldn't try this. The scariest thing was having to cancel my preorder FIRST before attempting this. I was gonna be mad if I jumped out of line and found out the deal was dead.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Samsung is coming back with its legendary phablet. The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 comes packed with the best of specs, featuring a 5.7-inch display, a Snapdragon 800 procesor, a 3200 mAh battery and all the specs you can expect from a top-end device.&nb... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3