Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Scootmien

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 11th, 2013, 08:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Better doing fresh installs on Note III or use backup from other device?

Have a Galaxy Note II.

Have tons of apps installed including Nova Launcher.

My phone runs a bit sluggish due to all the stuff running. Most of it I probably don't need and even apps like Google Voice no longer send me cards of information to Notification screen because some other program has taken over those notifications (or so I am guessing).

In any event....

Is it generally better to just backup everything to an SD card and then transfer it to the new phone?

Or, do you find just spending time to freshly install everything works better?

Of course, Google will backup contacts and such so I am not worried about that.

If I do go the backup route, I have MY BACKUP PRO.

So just to list the questions...

1. Better to do fresh installs on new phone or just transfer everything using a backup/restore software/service?

2. If the latter, what backup/restore app/service do you find most reliable?

sponsored links
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): SGN3 on O2 UK

I've used backup pro successfully before.
Old September 11th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 - Stock ::::: iPhone 5 - Jailbroken :::::HTC One - Stock ::::: Samsung S2 - Rooted
Carrier: Vodafone / Three

I would say as a general rule it is better to do a fresh, clean install than loading a backup. That doesn't hold true in all situations but as a general rule, yes.
drexappeal and droidobsessed like this.
Not a member yet but want to join? Join here!
Old September 11th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootmien View Post
I would say as a general rule it is better to do a fresh, clean install than loading a backup. That doesn't hold true in all situations but as a general rule, yes.
I share the same sentiments, but I think it really all depends on the individual and how much time each person wants to spend re-configuring the new device. The thing I like about starting out "fresh," is I can go through and eliminate things that I may not necessarily need, that I had on previous devices. I'm sure I have a ton of apps installed, that are not as crucial to me as they once were with my previous Android devices.

For me, the only files/folders that get transferred over 100% without needing any modification are my media files (e.g. ringtones, alerts/notifications, music, videos, pictures). From there, it's a process of elimination, based on apps that I use most frequently, that I'd need to transfer the backup folder, in order to "restore" the settings I had previously saved.

For every app I install, the most important ones for me to remember (as well as knowing where the files are saved) are the ones that have the capability of "backup and restore." I have a lot of apps that I use frequently, that have those functions, so I know exactly which folders I need to move over (most of them are under the "android" folder, on the internal storage). I typically like to clean up any "extra" backups that I've created, although sometimes that has turned into more hassle than I anticipate.

Just for example, backups like that (for individual apps) have saved me a lot of time when it comes to not having to re-configure customizations. NOVA Launcher has a backup/restore function that helped me tremendously, when I purchased my Note 8. I wanted to have the same/similar configuration on the Note 8, as I had set up on my Note 2, so I was sure to transfer over the folders needed (via USB and PC), in order for me to just "restore" the setup. It saved me a lot of time, having to re-configure the homescreens. Additionally, I have many widget apps that I use for my every day functions (e.g. widgetlocker, android pro widgets, etc...). I have customized widgets through each of those apps and both have a backup/restore function, so it's crucial for me to make sure that all the "backup" files are saved appropriately and I know which ones to copy over to the new phone.

The reason I find this to be way more helpful is that, over the course of 1 year, there are a lot of stored files that are from apps that I might have installed, but didn't end up liking or from cache that is unnecessary, but just hasn't been cleaned up. Starting "fresh" seems to help me avoid any early issues with my phones and it's worked like a charm from my EVO (as well as the multiple replacements I had), to my Photon, to the Note 2, and likely to the Note 3.
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:

+1 for fresh install. If you dont, a good chance you will have some bugs that force a factory reset anyway.
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): SGN3 on O2 UK

how can restoring apps from a previous backup on another [samsung note 2!] device cause a problem? Isnt it just a list of apks?

I certainly cannot be bothered to manually install 150 apps!

Also how do you restore NOVA settings to another device? It saves the backup to the harddrive of the originating device doesnt it? edit - ah just managed to copy the file to the sd card so assume when i get the n3 I just paste it into the correct folder in NOVA to enable it to restore it?
Last edited by bonerp; September 11th, 2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Infuse 4G running Aeon 1.3 Neon Blue ROM
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Fresh install for me too!
Old September 11th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):

I do fresh installs as well. I end up finding a bunch of apps that I don't even use anymore. I'm going to try and keep my GN3 fairly clean this time around and just lay Nova Launcher on top.
Old September 11th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonerp View Post
how can restoring apps from a previous backup on another [samsung note 2!] device cause a problem? Isnt it just a list of apks?

I certainly cannot be bothered to manually install 150 apps!

Also how do you restore NOVA settings to another device? It saves the backup to the harddrive of the originating device doesnt it? edit - ah just managed to copy the file to the sd card so assume when i get the n3 I just paste it into the correct folder in NOVA to enable it to restore it?
It's not necessarily the apps, it's the backup information behind the apps...so, say you backed up some information for one device, but wanted to transfer that over...that doesn't always translate over correctly. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't (it's more the backup that I do manually, not necessarily the apps...the apps, I just install from wherever I initially installed - e.g. play store, amazon app store, samsung app store, or side loaded).

Regarding NOVA - Yes. You would just copy all the applicable files/folders for NOVA backup and it should translate your settings over to the other device. I did it pretty flawlessly on my Note 8 (using the settings I had for my Note 2).

Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Samsung is coming back with its legendary phablet. The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 comes packed with the best of specs, featuring a 5.7-inch display, a Snapdragon 800 procesor, a 3200 mAh battery and all the specs you can expect from a top-end device.&nb... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3