Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 24th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Note 3 Vs G2

I am looking to upgrade my Galaxy Nexus finally... It's been good to me but it's speed and especially battery life are just too be poor to keep going on form much longer.

As far as specs, the G2 and Note 3 are very similar and I think both will last 2 years with the note being a little more future proof due to 1GB extra ram compared to the G2....

That said here is what I think about the G2 Vs Note 3 (I wanted to get your opinions as well)

The big cons for the G2 that sway me are:
-No removable battery
-Smaller screen compared to Note3 (though still looks great)
-button orientation
-2GB RAM

The biggest Note 3 cons / worries for me are:
- Too big? I hear you get used to it. I am a bigger person though (6'6")
- No digital camera stabilizer like in the G2
- Root / Rom friendly (I see the S-Pen not working with many roms)
- Very "gimmicky"
- Samsungs UI is outdated and cluttered (my opinion -- I prefer vanilla).

I think my biggest concern with the Note 3 is the lack of community support with the S-Pen functionality which is really can set apart the Note 3 from the G2. I also don't really know if I will use the Note 3s pen much anyways though... I guess I just have a lot of concerns I won't be able to answer until I actually try out a Note 3.

Then there's the biggest con for both devices... The loom of the Nexus 5.... While I have enjoyed my current nexus, i don't rom much because I don't have the time...

What do you think? What would you learn towards? Do you think there's any chance to get a Note 3 running a "vanilla" version of of 4.4 and beyond or will I be stuck with this UI for 2 years if I get the note 3?

Thanks for all your input!

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old September 24th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy S5, LG G2
Carrier: at&t

I think the major deciding factor would be screen and S-pen. If you prefer largest viewing area without soft buttons and feel S-pen would be handy, then it's Note 3. But if you have no use/need for S-pen, don't mind slightly smaller screen, I think G2 has some edge like OIS camera, knock on and good visibility under sun light.

G2's UI is highly customizable and there are a lot of useful settings you can change like soft buttons, setting menu layout, notification panel. Some reviewers criticized busy cluttered notification panel. But you can remove Qslide tray to free up more space for notifications. Also verizon version has more notification area than AT&T, international version.

You can't go too wrong with either and it probably comes down to which screen you prefer and use/need for S-pen.
Old September 24th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, then G2, then Note 3, then G2, then Nexus 5, then Crapple 5S, now back on Note 3 again
Carrier: T-Mobile

I think it all depends on what you use your phone for. If you want a great web browsing experience and good movie watching/ebook reading comfort, go with the Note 3.

If you use a phone only for calls and texts, with only occasional media consumption, go with the G2.

I had the G2 for a long weekend and decided to return it and wait for the n3; I watch a lot of movies and shows during my lunch hour and early morning before anyone gets in the office, and while I enjoyed the G2's gorgeous, super bright display, I kept thinking that the screen could be bigger.
The Following User Says Thank You to HanSolo For This Useful Post:
SwaggTX (September 25th, 2013)
Old September 25th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Hmm.... Does the Note 2 have good mods that utilized the s-pen?

To be honest when watching the commercials and previews of how the S-Pen works I think "Oh I can use that functionality sometimes"... but in reality, I use my phone to call, text and browse the web (sometimes). I don't really play games on it other than wordfeud.... I would use it more for the web if I had a bigger screen which is why I lean towards the Note 3.... My big concern is will the community use it a lot too and root / mod it? Or will it be just a phone from the past 2 months later D:.
Old September 25th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboku View Post
I am looking to upgrade my Galaxy Nexus finally... It's been good to me but it's speed and especially battery life are just too be poor to keep going on form much longer.

As far as specs, the G2 and Note 3 are very similar and I think both will last 2 years with the note being a little more future proof due to 1GB extra ram compared to the G2....

That said here is what I think about the G2 Vs Note 3 (I wanted to get your opinions as well)

The big cons for the G2 that sway me are:
-No removable battery
-Smaller screen compared to Note3 (though still looks great)
-button orientation
-2GB RAM

The biggest Note 3 cons / worries for me are:
- Too big? I hear you get used to it. I am a bigger person though (6'6")
- No digital camera stabilizer like in the G2
- Root / Rom friendly (I see the S-Pen not working with many roms)
- Very "gimmicky"
- Samsungs UI is outdated and cluttered (my opinion -- I prefer vanilla).

I think my biggest concern with the Note 3 is the lack of community support with the S-Pen functionality which is really can set apart the Note 3 from the G2. I also don't really know if I will use the Note 3s pen much anyways though... I guess I just have a lot of concerns I won't be able to answer until I actually try out a Note 3.

Then there's the biggest con for both devices... The loom of the Nexus 5.... While I have enjoyed my current nexus, i don't rom much because I don't have the time...

What do you think? What would you learn towards? Do you think there's any chance to get a Note 3 running a "vanilla" version of of 4.4 and beyond or will I be stuck with this UI for 2 years if I get the note 3?

Thanks for all your input!
G2 is actually more "future proof", for sprint, because of the tri-band lte radios built in.

Now, as far as lack of s-pen support in the community, that's all subjective depending on what ur trying to do beyond stock software Samsung integrated.

If you're referring to 3rd party app developers making air view functions possible, that might be a proprietary function that Samsung owns the rights to.
Old September 25th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Yea, my absolute desire would be having a Note3 developer edition (just plain 4.4). I am not a big fan of any other companies GUI. If I could somehow get the popup menu on a a stock rom that would be amazing . I also worry that since they've been coming out with deveoper phones I might miss out and buy the note3 too early. Plus the Nexus 5 rumors...

Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Samsung is coming back with its legendary phablet. The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 comes packed with the best of specs, featuring a 5.7-inch display, a Snapdragon 800 procesor, a 3200 mAh battery and all the specs you can expect from a top-end device.&nb... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3