Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, rooted, on HyperDrive
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Default Blocking Mode - Persistent Icon

I have a feeling that the answer is no, but do any of you know of a way to get rid of the persistent notification icon that sits on the top left of the notification bar, when you turn on Blocking Mode? It's like a circle with a horizontal bar in it.

I get the rationale for this persistent icon, but my preference would be to get rid of it, while still using the Blocking Mode. At minimum, I would be fine with the icon appearing during the times when Blocking Mode is active (I have it set between 11PM and 6AM), but don't want to live with the icon all day...

On a side note... It's funny but I tried the iphone 5 for a few months, and there would be minor annoyances. Whenever I came across a question, I would search Google, and the general response by iphone users would be "Why would you want to do that?" or a long reprimand on why you shouldn't do that certain activity. I remember call blocking was one. Being able to add ringtones without connecting to a computer was another. There were several. The iphone community is crazy! Very protective of the cult, and shocked that you would question a limitation. I even remember one post asking why anybody should want a phone larger than 3.5 inches, when that's definitely the optimal size...

Conversely, the android community is fantastic, by and large. If the answer is no, that's fine. But at least I don't get a 10 minute lecture on my gall at asking such a question... And android users, in general, seem more open to customization, individualization and investigation, never a bad thing...

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 Galaxy SIII TMO Galaxy Note 10.1
Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethulwulf View Post
I have a feeling that the answer is no, but do any of you know of a way to get rid of the persistent notification icon that sits on the top left of the notification bar, when you turn on Blocking Mode? It's like a circle with a horizontal bar in it.

I get the rationale for this persistent icon, but my preference would be to get rid of it, while still using the Blocking Mode. At minimum, I would be fine with the icon appearing during the times when Blocking Mode is active (I have it set between 11PM and 6AM), but don't want to live with the icon all day...

On a side note... It's funny but I tried the iphone 5 for a few months, and there would be minor annoyances. Whenever I came across a question, I would search Google, and the general response by iphone users would be "Why would you want to do that?" or a long reprimand on why you shouldn't do that certain activity. I remember call blocking was one. Being able to add ringtones without connecting to a computer was another. There were several. The iphone community is crazy! Very protective of the cult, and shocked that you would question a limitation. I even remember one post asking why anybody should want a phone larger than 3.5 inches, when that's definitely the optimal size...

Conversely, the android community is fantastic, by and large. If the answer is no, that's fine. But at least I don't get a 10 minute lecture on my gall at asking such a question... And android users, in general, seem more open to customization, individualization and investigation, never a bad thing...
I don't think there is a way to turn it off, but if you use yours like I use mine (certain times of the day/night) you could try using a tasker to turn it on and off at specific times that way it only shows up during those times, I just use mine to block at night. You could also try a launcher that would hide the notification panel all together (Next Launcher will do it)
Old October 15th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (current phone) Motorola RAZR HD MAXX (last phone, backup)
Carrier: Verizon

I don't have an answer for you. I just wanted to write to say, "Thanks" for figuring out what this icon means! I just printed out the manual and this icon is NOT in the list of near the front of the manual. The icon showed up today, no doubt because I turned something 'on', but since I've been turning so many things on and off the past few days I had no idea what it was for.

But I did turn on Blocking Mode today and it's been on there (the icon) all day. Funny thing though, when I read this post and went back and look at my phone, the icon is now gone. And I know I didn't turn anything off and the times for the blocking to be active are no where near the time we are at. So, who the hell knows?!?

If I figure out 'how' I got it to go away, I'll let you know!

Update: And just to show you what an idiot I am, I went to the Blocking move setting to make sure it was still on (it was) and then entered into it at which point the blocking mode icon came back. So maybe it just eventually shuts on or off?
Last edited by Methos1979; October 15th, 2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old October 15th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Note 3
Carrier: AT&T

Yup this is really annoying.
Old October 15th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, rooted, on HyperDrive
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Oh well... Something to consider when deciding whether to root or not, I guess...

And yeah, the mystery icons are frustrating...

Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Samsung is coming back with its legendary phablet. The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 comes packed with the best of specs, featuring a 5.7-inch display, a Snapdragon 800 procesor, a 3200 mAh battery and all the specs you can expect from a top-end device.&nb... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3