Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Limeybstd

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 21st, 2013, 10:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Note 3 unlocking woes

I been trying to buy an unlocked Note 3 for use on the aiowireless network, but have run into brick wall after brick wall. I started out one week ago by calling a local AT&T store, informing them I wanted to buy a phone full price, off-contract, so that I could unlock the phone. "No problem," I was told, so I drive to the store and buy a Note 3. When I get home and inserted my aiowireless card, I did not get an SIM unlock screen. So I called AT&T, and they told me to call aio. When I called aio, they told me to all AT&T. Who then told me to call aio, who then told me to call AT&T. (I am not making this up.) Finally I asked for a supervisor at AT&T and told him I wanted the phone unlocked. He informed me that AT&T does not unlock phones until 6 months have passed from the date of purchase. I drove back to the store and asked for a refund. The sales person, with his tail between his legs, profusely apologized for his mistake, and waived the restocking fee.

So I'm back to square one.

So I then attempted to purchase a T-Mobile Note 3, full-price, only to find out I had to pay for a $10 SIM, a $50 account, the phone (of course), and then wait 40 days before requesting the phone to be unlocked. I left the TMO store without buying the phone.

I then visit eBay. There I found some GSM unlocked Note 3s, (SM-N9005), however, none of them support all of the frequencies on AT&T's 4G network (T-Mobile's Note 3 doesn't support 850 / 1900).

I have thought about going back and buying the T-Mobile phone, full price, then buying an unlock code online; however, the T-Mobile Note 3 supports only half of the 4G frequencies that AT&T uses.

What's a person supposed to do if they want an unlocked Note 3 on the aiowireless network with 4G support?

Last edited by phreelance; October 21st, 2013 at 10:58 PM.
sponsored links
Old October 21st, 2013, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S II, Google G1
Carrier: t-mobile

I'm not sure about unlocking phones but I hadn't heard of Aio Wireless so I did a quick Google search. I don't think you're going to like this news... AT&T May Already Phase Out New Aio Prepaid Wireless Brand | InvestorPlace
Old October 21st, 2013, 11:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s):

With the exception of iPhones most AT&T locked phones will work on Aio without unlocking. That's why you didn't get an unlock screen.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 05:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

That doesn't explain why when I inserted my aiowireless SIM card into the AT&T Note 3 I immediately lost service. The AT&T Note 3, with an AT&T SIM, was working fine until I attempted to use an aiowireless SIM.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 05:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I read the article, but it did not explain the "why" as to why AT&T would exterminate their aiowireless plans. Simply buying another tiny carrier doesn't mean that existing aiowireless customers would be kicked out the door, or their existing plans pulled out from under them.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: AT&T

I bought it full price from T Mobile went home visited cellunlocker.net and got it unlocked.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Limeybstd,

And what carrier are you currently using?

If you are using a T-Mobile Note 3 on the AT&T network, doesn't that keep you from having access to 4G/LTE?

The site you used says the following regarding attempting to unlock a Note 3:

--- snip 8< ---

There will be absolutely no refunds, if your device is Region Locked and an Unlock code is provided for your Samsung Device.

--- snip 8< ---

How does one know if a brand new Note 3 is region locked? A thought all Note 3's sold in the USA were region locked.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 06:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreelance View Post
Limeybstd,

And what carrier are you currently using?

If you are using a T-Mobile Note 3 on the AT&T network, doesn't that keep you from having access to 4G/LTE?

The site you used says the following regarding attempting to unlock a Note 3:

--- snip 8< ---

There will be absolutely no refunds, if your device is Region Locked and an Unlock code is provided for your Samsung Device.

--- snip 8< ---

How does one know if a brand new Note 3 is region locked? A thought all Note 3's sold in the USA were region locked.
I am currently using the T Mobile N900T on ATT network and do get LTE no problem. The only time you will not get LTE is if you supply ATT with a none ATT IMEI number, so in essence do not tell ATT that are using a Note 3 from T Mobile on their network otherwise you will have issues like I did. In the end I supplied them with my wifes old Galaxy S4 IMEI which was a ATT branded handset.

If your current phone and plan has LTE Data then you will not have to worry about telling ATT anything about your "upgrade" and will not run into issues.

As with Cellunlocker.net - #1 Unlock Codes for Network Cell Phone Unlocking , Many folks on XDA forums used them as did I with great success. It took them about 4 hours to email me my unlock procedure. I then duly followed the instructions they sent me and was able to put in my ATT sim card. Once on the ATT network, I merely changed the APN settings to get LTE.

I have done many hours of research about this region lock issue. I conclude that the N900T is not region locked, however we shall see when I fly back to England in a few weeks time
dontpanicbobby and maskulado5 like this.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Samsung is coming back with its legendary phablet. The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 comes packed with the best of specs, featuring a 5.7-inch display, a Snapdragon 800 procesor, a 3200 mAh battery and all the specs you can expect from a top-end device.&nb... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3