Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By zombdroid
  • 1 Post By ovrrdrive

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 19th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): RAZR MaXX
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Warning to Potential Note 3 buyers, Flipboard...

I just retired my Note 2 and really enjoyed the entire experience with the phone. Great screen, battery, speed, speaker...etc. I loved that I could disable all of the bloatware installed by the Verizon. Flipboard ruins the Note 3 experience for me.

I guess someone at Verizon or Samsung thought forcing Flipboard upon everyone purchasing a Note 3 was a good idea. I do not want this application, but everyday I am reminded to update it. I do not want to except a license agreement or privacy policy, but there is no way to make the application go away. It is so easy to accidentally launch the app. Just swiping from the button up launches it. I am really not interested in rooting the phone or installing a different launcher.

I am going to open a support case with both Verizon, Samsung and Flipboard. Maybe if enough people complain they will do something about this. Why won't they allow us to uninstall or disable this app? I have been reading Flipboard replies to negative review on the Play Store and they claim it can be disabled, but I have not found a way. I have disabled 14 other apps on my phone, but Flipboard cannot be disabled!

I wish Google would build a Nexus device with an SD card slot. I may just get the 32GB Nexus 5 until something better comes along. Maybe just go back to the Note 2.

The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections. - Idiocracy
sponsored links
Old November 19th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 / 7 -- followed by Note 3 / Experia Z1s
Carrier: AT&T and T-Mobile

Unless you live on another planet, you may have noticed no phone is perfect. To allow one app to cause you such angst, may be a good indication you've chosen the wrong phone.
Old November 19th, 2013, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipred View Post
Unless you live on another planet, you may have noticed no phone is perfect. To allow one app to cause you such angst, may be a good indication you've chosen the wrong phone.
Yes, I am from another planet.
dan330, Gorcho and PolkSDA like this.
Last edited by zombdroid; November 19th, 2013 at 11:42 AM. Reason: I am an alien life form
Old November 19th, 2013, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: ATT

Cant you just disable flipboard in the application manager?
Old November 19th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanked 5,843 Times in 3,300 Posts
jhawkkw

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombdroid View Post
I wish Google would build a Nexus device with an SD card slot. I may just get the 32GB Nexus 5 until something better comes along. Maybe just go back to the Note 2.
Nexus 5 doesn't work on Verizon, so you would have to change carriers. If you're willing to pay the price, check out the Galaxy S4 Google Edition. It has the interface of a Nexus, but all the hardware of the S4 which includes a SD card slot. Once again though, doesn't work on Verizon so you'd have to move to AT&T or T-Mobile. Nexus 5 will give you the option of using Sprint on top of the other 2.

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4
Old November 19th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Cant you just disable flipboard in the application manager?
Unfortunately no, and on Verizon, the app is tied directly to the button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw
Nexus 5 doesn't work on Verizon, so you would have to change carriers. If you're willing to pay the price, check out the Galaxy S4 Google Edition. It has the interface of a Nexus, but all the hardware of the S4 which includes a SD card slot. Once again though, doesn't work on Verizon so you'd have to move to AT&T or T-Mobile. Nexus 5 will give you the option of using Sprint on top of the other 2.
I am just around the corner from my contract end date. I like the Verizon coverage. I had Sprint and had nothing but coverage issues where I work and live. Maybe T-Mobile. Had the Note 2 and loved it and prefer the bigger screen. I may just reactivate that phone. Thanks for the tips!
Old November 19th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Emotionless Ogre

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3113, Sony Google TV, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nextbook 7.
Carrier: Verizon

I use Verizon for my N3, and have never had the app you're talking about ask me to update it, nor have I attempted to disable it. I've turned off auto-updates in the Play store, and turned off individual notifications in all apps except e-mail, gmail, etc.

It also helps, especially if you want more than, what, 12 icons per screen(?) to use an alternative launcher, like Nova.

My Magazine no longer works from the button or from "swipe up", unless I configure that gesture in Nova.

It also helps that I never sweat the petty stuff. Or pet the sweaty, etc.
Old November 19th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 3 SM-N900P, Evo 4G LTE S-OFF Mean Rom, 2 Evo 3D's running Mean Rom ICS, HTC Evo 4G running MikG

If you think flipboard is bad, just wait until you figure out what knox is... lol

Seriously though, you'll never be happy until you learn to root your phone. If flipboard bothered me in the least, I would have removed it from my phone by now. It's the only way to have full control over your phone.
rawhide85 likes this.

Wife: Hey what are you doing?
me: Nada, phones finally rootable.
Wife: Ugh....
The Following User Says Thank You to ovrrdrive For This Useful Post:
rawhide85 (November 19th, 2013)
Old November 19th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwither View Post
I use Verizon for my N3, and have never had the app you're talking about ask me to update it, nor have I attempted to disable it. I've turned off auto-updates in the Play store, and turned off individual notifications in all apps except e-mail, gmail, etc.

It also helps, especially if you want more than, what, 12 icons per screen(?) to use an alternative launcher, like Nova.

My Magazine no longer works from the button or from "swipe up", unless I configure that gesture in Nova.

It also helps that I never sweat the petty stuff. Or pet the sweaty, etc.
My Magazine is one in in the same. Just look at the 'about' when you open it.

As far as rooting goes, I know how to root a phone. My point is, why should I have to?
Old November 19th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: ATT

Quote:

As far as rooting goes, I know how to root a phone. My point is, why should I have to?
Dear God, maybe cause youll find stuff you dont want on any phone you buy? Starting to thi.... meh nm
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragoro For This Useful Post:
ovrrdrive (November 20th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old November 19th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): HTC ONE M8 | LG G-FLEX/G-PAD 8.3 | LG GOOGLE TV G3 | SAMSUNG GEAR FIT | QUALCOMM TOQ | CHROMECAST
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Thanked 1,534 Times in 1,148 Posts

Have you checked out the Developer's Edition,which is a VZW exclusive?

I'm just guessing you'd be afforded a bit more control over such things,w/o root.

Never owned a Developer's Edition of any phone,but,this option might be worth looking into,if otherwise you really like this phone.
Old November 19th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:

My Magazine is a Samsung collaborated effort based on Flipboard, but it's definitely not the same thing. There are certain things that aren't available on My Magazine, that can be found on Flipboard.

Nonetheless, My Magazine doesn't bother me at all because I don't even see it when using Nova Prime. I use Flipboard every now and then, just to browse through some of my social networking accounts and some news, and I have no problems whatsoever with the actual app.
Old November 19th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): N7 (12&13), Note 2, GNex, N1, G1, TF

My Magazine and Flipboard do seem to be inter-related. I've never opened or used Flipboard but I have run My Magazine. Yet I often find Flipboard running in the App Manager. I suspect My Magazine is just a type of skin over Flipboard.
Old November 19th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimphappyhour View Post
My Magazine and Flipboard do seem to be inter-related. I've never opened or used Flipboard but I have run My Magazine. Yet I often find Flipboard running in the App Manager. I suspect My Magazine is just a type of skin over Flipboard.
Yes, my magazine was made by the developers of flipboard in conjunction with Samsung. But the actual flipboard app still works much better, IMO
Old November 20th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s):

Have you tried disabling My Magazine from the settings menu within the app? You can uncheck "Open using the home key" from the settings.
The Following User Says Thank You to KaneoheGrown For This Useful Post:
KOLIO (November 20th, 2013)

Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Samsung is coming back with its legendary phablet. The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 comes packed with the best of specs, featuring a 5.7-inch display, a Snapdragon 800 procesor, a 3200 mAh battery and all the specs you can expect from a top-end device.&nb... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3