Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ScandaLeX
  • 1 Post By BlueBiker
  • 1 Post By Rukbat
  • 1 Post By FBA

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 24th, 2013, 07:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Samsung Note 3, iPhone 3GS (Retired), Nokia, (Retired)
Carrier: Rogers

Notsure Question on Home WiFi Setup

Hello, Everyone
I searched the forum here, and either have not used the right search term or it can’t be done and no one has asked it yet! So, I started this thread in hopes of help. If I was wrong, I’m sure it will get moved to the proper thread.
Anyways, I’ve a Samsung Note 3 (SM-N900W8 Model). In my home, I’ve expanded the WiFi net work. I’ve a Modem/Router (2Wire) and a Linksys running (DD-WRT) firmware. Unfortunately I can’t get it to expand/repeat as only one WiFi access point. But, I do have it set as two individual WiFi AP’s. It works, but as you can imagine I have to totally lose signal from one point to auto switch to the other. Is there any mechanism for setting up on my phone, a Threshold Signal Level so that when a low signal level is reached, it will automatically switch over to the better signal level of the other WiFi AP?
Before anyone points out to get better placement of the two WiFi AP’s in relation to each other, AH they are where they’re going to stay. Note the two units are joined by CAT5 and not joined via WiFi (I can get them to recognize each other, they are on the same channel and are both using the same (WEP) security 26 Hex Digit code, the DD-WRT is set as Repeater not as router so DHCP is not the issue). I only mention all of this, because if I could get it to expand properly, I would not have had to ask this question!
Any, Answers & comment are welcome.
Alex.

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old December 25th, 2013, 11:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3113, Sony Google TV, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nextbook 7.
Carrier: Verizon

WEP is not secure and no longer supported. Use WPA2.
The Following User Says Thank You to jwither For This Useful Post:
Alex452 (December 29th, 2013)
Old December 26th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wasn't Me

Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

I wish I could help but this is definitely over my knowledge base.
Were you able to get it figured out?
Alex452 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScandaLeX For This Useful Post:
Old December 26th, 2013, 05:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3113, Sony Google TV, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nextbook 7.

Using WEP can and will produce unpredictable behavior. If his routers don't have WPA2, or at least WPA, their age is another factor.
Old December 26th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Hello, Folks
Thanks for the response(s)
Actually, I am aware that WEP has cracking issues, (was not aware of stability issues though! Tell me more!) it’s just that it was a quick and easy way to put some type of security on the routers.
I’m semi rural and you would have to drive right up to the house to pick up signal, Couple that with the fact that my SSID does not broadcast, and the fact that you have to be on the MAC list to get on to my Network. I should have some measure of security.
That being said both routers are hardwired to each other so they don’t need to see each other’s MAC, just in case any of you were entertaining that idea.
As I get deeper into the Note 3, I see now that they’re really is no way to make any adjustments for signal level threshold.
Would that be the same case if I “Rooted” the phone? Not that I’m going to at this point, maybe in the future.
So, for anyone out there who is a Guru already on rooting the Note 3. Would I be able to tweak the signal levels between two Internet Access Points, that have been programmed into the phone?
Alex.
Old December 26th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex452 View Post
it was a quick and easy way to put some type of security on the routers.
What, about having a long string of characters (wep) vs. a passphrase (wpa) that you can remember, is quick and easy?

If your routers are so old that they don't use WPA/WPA2, they've likely reached EOL.

Edit: Oh, and your SSID is broadcasting whether you have it turned on or not, AND, mac addresses are passed in plain text.

Only distance is on your side, provided nobody sells pringles in your part of the country.
Last edited by jwither; December 26th, 2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old December 26th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, LG F3Q
Carrier: T-Mobile

WEP is useless. It can be cracked in seconds. All your data can be mined. It's old tech and shouldn't be used. I think there's only one device that needs WEP and Nintendo makes it but I forgot what it was.

WPA or WPA2. I would go for the latter. Nice strong password with capitals, symbols, and at least 10 digits long. No one will get in your system.

and even if you don't broadcast your SSID, people can still pick it up just as easily as they could if you were broadcasting it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bodycount For This Useful Post:
Old December 27th, 2013, 05:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Hello, Folks

Once again, thank you all for your input.

I’m trying to write this posting, so, as not to bust anyone’s balls. I realize that you all mean well!

But all of the focus has been on the security that I have on the routers and not the original question or the revised question. For me, it takes 2 seconds to input the WEP, yes I’ve always known that it’s no longer in use. If you think about it for a moment, why would I put into a public forum My actual method of security? When I was working with the router attempting to create the combined WiFi AP, I just happened to use WEP instead of WAP/ (2)!
If some script kiddy is running around the neighbor hood war driving, then he/she would have an opportunity to practice their budding skills! As for a Master Hacker, I don’t believe I would be a high priority target unless he/she is a vindictive SOB.
If any of you believe the method of security I’m using is the issue, as to why I can’t combine the two router into one Wifi AP then say so, and post the link, or your method.

So, my question has now evolved into:
If I was to root the Samsung Note 3 would I be able to effect the signal level threshold between two WiFi AP’s that I’ve programmed into the phone?
When you root the phone can you drill down to that level in the network connection settings?
Since, I’ve not developed those skills as of yet, I’m looking to the community of users that have!

Thank You All
Alex.
Old December 27th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 3; formerly Rezound, Droid Charge, and OG Droid
Carrier: VZW

Thanked 1,438 Times in 820 Posts

Hey there OP, may I apologize for the group? You're quite right that lecturing you on security has nothing to do with solving your problem, and I applaud you for keeping a sense of humor about it.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about low level radio config to help you, but you could try asking the XDA developers.

IIRC, the actual firmware that provides the device interface to wireless comm is bundled separately -- installing a "new radio" is distinct from installing an update to the OS -- so I'm not sure how much of it is accessible to a rooted system. (Anybody feel free to correct or expand on this.)
Alex452 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueBiker For This Useful Post:
Old December 27th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): Note3 running X-Note 4.3 in Safestrap Stock slot.
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 2,880 Times in 2,640 Posts

It's been years since I set up a DD-WRT repeater, and it used to work in reverse of what you're doing (wireless between the two routers, and only wired clients could connect to the second one), but things seem to have improved. Here's an "instruction sheet" to do what you want (I think).

@BlueBiker:
I'm not sure if the bag is part of the nuts in it when you buy a bag of nuts. That's the situation. The radios are included in a ROM. If the update is enough of an update it's a whole ROM. The radio firmware is a separate program, but so is the graphics driver. So is the radio firmware part of the OS in an Android phone? Bag AND nuts or bag OF nuts? Modified Linux and radio firmware or modified Linux containing radio firmware?

But it's irrelevant - that's not the OP's problem - getting DD-WRT to wired repeat to the radio is what he wants - so that his phone sees the same signal when he walks from router A's coverage area to router B's coverage area.

(Must be lots of metal there, or my 2400 sq. ft. house is tiny by comparison. I get solid signal from corner to corner of more than half an acre.)
Alex452 likes this.
Last edited by Rukbat; December 27th, 2013 at 10:45 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rukbat For This Useful Post:
Alex452 (December 29th, 2013), BlueBiker (December 27th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old December 28th, 2013, 12:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
FBA

Device(s): Note 3 Mods here are morons
Carrier: ModsAreJerksHere

No, there is no setting for that in Android. If you had both AP's on the same SSID, the Note 3 would eventually switch while roaming from one AP to another. It will always look for the strongest signal, but on the same SSID. I have 7 WAP's (D-Link DAP2553) setup in my home, and a Fortigate 60C firewall, so all WiFi is handled by the AP's only. I am talking from experience.

The only way the phone will switch from one SSID to another - is if the SSID visibility it's on becomes completely invisible to the phone and the phone sees the next SSID. It's hardly a practical solution.

That said, I would agree with others here that your AP /Routers are so old, they're not worth the effort. You could for a few hundred dollars, change to a single unit today that would give you far greater range and throughout, something like a D-Link Wireless AC1750 Dual-Band Gigabit Router w/ AC SmartBeam. You will get speeds up to 450 Mbps easily and range that will outperform what you have now by a huge margin. And chances are that only one of these would be needed in your home. They are under $200.00 and support 2.4/ 5 GHZ simultaneously, with guest networks / all types of security/ push button WiFi access etc. I tested one here and it has insane range and throughput. I could easily replace all 7 WAP's with 3 of these and get much faster throughput.
Alex452 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to FBA For This Useful Post:
Old December 28th, 2013, 07:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Hello, Everyone!

Thanks “BlueBiker”, but there is no need to apologize on behalf of the group, I’m sure they meant well or at least I hope they did? If that was not the case, “Oh Well” it’s the holiday season and they can consider that as my gift to them, to pump up whatever ego was behind it all!

“Rukbat” is correct my real issue is to get the Repeater Bridge to function correctly. Thanks for pointing me to the Wiki “Rukbat” I shall delve into it and see what will happen!

“FBA” What you have posted is exactly what is happening with the configuration as it is set right now. The phone has to see that, one WAP has to drop really low before the other takes over, or come out of sleep, then it switches to the stronger signal. If and or when I get them bridged correctly then the question becomes moot.

It still is an interesting question though. I could see a situation, were as two WAP’s on fringes, that could never be bridged might benefit from threshold pass off. I’m thinking it as being akin to, two cell towers seamlessly passing an active communication between themselves. Oh and yes, it’s most likely “Apples and Oranges” but just an example to get the thought out that I had about it.

Just a bit of back ground here, on my setup, for reference. It might give inspiration to glean a better answer to my dilemma.

My home is an old farmhouse with additions built on over the years. Built 1923 (old main section 1900 Sq. ft). New addition (2001, 1200 Sq. ft.) 3100 Total. In the old section, walls are thick, and I really do mean thick, made out of rough hone wood, think of Pennsylvania Dutch barn raising and you will get the idea of craft that went into the old sections construction! A 2 x 4 measures 2 inch by 4 inches!
What appears to have happened over the years is holes were drilled into the dry wall, and yes originally it is sheet rock, hardest stuff I’ve ever cut into, one would have thought mortar and lattes but no. Anyway after blowing in insulation, it was covered up with another ½ layer of dry wall board. House is very well insulated, has to be I’m located on Georgian Bay and winters get crazy cold here. So, you can see why I’m getting such signal kill and the reason for running CAT5 between the two routers.

The primary router (WAP) is supplied by my ISP (Bell) and is both modem & router (Brand: 2WIRE 2707HG-G) location: second story new addition. Secondary router (WAP) Linksys running DD-WRT. Location: second story (My Study) front of house old main section. I get full signal on first floor old main section from DD-WRT, also full signal from 2WIRE on 1st floor of newer section. There is overlap but very quick drop-off.
Outside of house, I pickup signal from 2Wire as far as and into my metal drive shed (40 feet away from new section at rear of house). Need to get the indoor repeater working before I attempt one outside. Oh, and the whole house is covered by a metal roof.
“FBA” I never would have thought that the 2WIRE was considered old tech since it’s “N” capable and as for Linksys running DD-WRT, I would agree with that, but it’s what I have here, and it’s better than the alternative a ( Belkin F5D7230-4 ) If push comes to shove, I guess I will have to purchase new tech. But till then I will put to use all of the information you folks have provided me.

Thanks To All
Alex.
Old December 28th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Default Solved

Hello Everyone!

I’m Ecstatic to report that all is well in “Who Ville”!!

“Rukbat” I looked into the Wiki link you posted. THX again for it!

But, unfortunately it only applies to joining two routers “Wirelessly” Did not apply in my situation because both of my routers are join by CAT 5, due to the signal loss, ( see my last posting before this one for explanation of why ).

So, playing around with search terms with “Duckduckgo” (search Engine) It’s a very good search engine, that does not “Data Mine” everywhere you surf by the way. I found the following link:

http://www.overclockedtechies.com/2012/05/wired-bridge-with-two-waps-using-the-same-ssid/

After reading how embarrassingly simple, it is to join the two routers under one SSID.

I was hesitant to post my success!

Using this method of joining both routers under one SSID, both WAP’s experience equal up/down speeds were as repeater or wireless bridge suffer.

So, I split the radio channels farther apart, channel 1 on the DD-WRT channel 11 on the 2WIRE.

I’ve an app on the Note 3 “WiFi Data” it polls all the WAPs in the area, gives channel frequencies and signal strengths, et cetera, walked all over the house and beautiful no drop outs! Lowest signal floor was -66 dbm that equates to approximately 60% of full signal (3 out of 5 bars if your phone measures that way).

Only question now is: “How many routers could be chained into the one SSID”? And “How much signal degradation would you get”? Since it would be nice to reach the metal drive shed, a lot stronger.

For anyone who is worried I will be using WPA/2 for encryption!

Anyone have suggestions for learning about “App creation” of course for beginners! Not too basic though, since I have played “MSBasic” back in the day.

Still curious about : If I was to root the Samsung Note 3 would I be able to effect the signal level threshold between two WiFi AP’s that I’ve programmed into the phone?
When you root the phone can you drill down to that level in the network connection settings?

Anyways A Very Large Thank You to every one for all of your postings here! They all have helped.

Alex.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex452 For This Useful Post:
BlueBiker (December 28th, 2013)
Old December 28th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 3; formerly Rezound, Droid Charge, and OG Droid
Carrier: VZW

Thanked 1,438 Times in 820 Posts

Congrats Alex, very happy to hear of your success
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueBiker For This Useful Post:
Old December 28th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): Note3 running X-Note 4.3 in Safestrap Stock slot.
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 2,880 Times in 2,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex452 View Post
Hello Everyone!

I’m Ecstatic to report that all is well in “Who Ville”!!
Great news, Alex.

Saved - thanks for that one.

Quote:
Still curious about : If I was to root the Samsung Note 3 would I be able to effect the signal level threshold between two WiFi AP’s that I’ve programmed into the phone?
Quote:
That would be in the radio's firmware, not the OS, so rooting has nothing to do with it. You'd have to rewrite the radio.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rukbat For This Useful Post:

Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Samsung is coming back with its legendary phablet. The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 comes packed with the best of specs, featuring a 5.7-inch display, a Snapdragon 800 procesor, a 3200 mAh battery and all the specs you can expect from a top-end device.&nb... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3