Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jhawkkw

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 27th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus 5, Galaxy note II (back up)
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 1,077 Times in 628 Posts
Default Will T-mo unlock if I buy full retail?

Just wondered if I strolled into the local t-mobile store (official one), plunked down my hard earned cash all 708.99 + tax on the counter, will they unlock the thing or would they still make me wait what, 6 months!?

The only reason I would do this is so I can have access to the bootloader and AT&Ts network.

Advertisements

Most people run from storms, I run to them (back by popular request )
Flickr Gallery
sponsored links
Old December 27th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy Trend Plus, Nokia 5030 XpressRadio (backup phone), Nokia N8 (R
Carrier: DNA

Here are T-Mobiles unlocking requirements, hope it's of help:
Seems like you have to be active on their network for 40 days.

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588
Last edited by LilianTepes; December 27th, 2013 at 03:42 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to LilianTepes For This Useful Post:
ajdroidx (December 27th, 2013)
Old December 27th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Dellx51v, MotorolaQ, Mogul, 800w, TreoPro, TouchPro2, HTCEvo3D, HTCEvo4GLTE, Nexus4, HTCOne
Carrier: T-mobile Family Plan

$709 + tax. It should be around $750.

I been thinking hard too.
Old December 28th, 2013, 02:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Yes.
Old December 28th, 2013, 05:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): SGSII (GT-i9100)-SOLD SGSIII(GT-i9300)-SOLD SGS4 (GT-i9505)-SOLD
Carrier: Vodafone UK

So if you go into an AT&T store and buy a Note 3 outright with no contract it is still SIM locked to AT&T for forty days? Are all phones in the US no matter where you buy them from bought SIM locked?

I'm just trying to get my head around the US market that's all. You have CDMA networks, bizarre (to us in the UK if not EU) contracts and now I learn if you buy a phone outright from a carrier it is locked to them, at least at first.

"The only foolish question is the question not asked"-Anon
Old December 28th, 2013, 07:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook w/ HSPA+, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanked 7,043 Times in 3,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomot View Post
So if you go into an AT&T store and buy a Note 3 outright with no contract it is still SIM locked to AT&T for forty days? Are all phones in the US no matter where you buy them from bought SIM locked?

I'm just trying to get my head around the US market that's all. You have CDMA networks, bizarre (to us in the UK if not EU) contracts and now I learn if you buy a phone outright from a carrier it is locked to them, at least at first.
It really is a strange market here. Buying carrier phones from AT&T & T-Mobile come SIM locked. Though Sprint is a CDMA carrier, they carry many phones that also have GSM radios but are SIM locked as well. Verizon also sells phones with GSM radios as a CDMA carrier, but a majority of their newer devices do actually come SIM unlocked. Some of their older global phones came SIM locked or were sold SIM unlocked with a secondary lock to block AT&T or T-Mobile SIMs only.

There are a couple of exceptions though. The Nexus 4 and LTE Nexus 7 is sold by T-Mobile and the Nexus 5 is currently sold by T-Mobile and Sprint and that comes SIM unlocked. Also, buying any Nexus device or Google Play device on the Google Play store will come SIM unlocked. Sony has also started selling SIM unlocked versions of their phones on their website as well.
dynomot likes this.

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4, Logitech Revue
Old December 28th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): SGSII (GT-i9100)-SOLD SGSIII(GT-i9300)-SOLD SGS4 (GT-i9505)-SOLD
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Here in the UK all networks (Vodafone, O2, "3", EE) use similar frequencies and are all GSM based. All phones bought outright from any where are unlocked and can be used with any SIM from any of the networks (Tesco use O2, Virgin use Orange, EE or T - mobile, EE are Orange and T - mobile's LTE). If you go get yourself a contract the phone is unlocked (didn't used to be in the past) and usually "free" if the contract is purchased direct from a network the phone usually runs carrier branded firmware, which for all intents and purposes is stock with network added bloat ware. A contract from a third party the phone is stock (usually).

The phone is legally not yours until the contract is up, but keep paying the monthly bill and you can do what you like with it in reality.

Contracts are over 12, 18 or 24 months a typical one for say a Samsung Galaxy S4 would cost around 35 a month, give you 500minutes (any UK number and mobile number) 500 texts (with a MMS "costing" five SMS) and around 1Gig of data. I pay 42 a month for unlimited everything (data is only unlimited for first three months then reverts to 8 Gig per month) and it is an LTE contract, with "free Note 3".
Last edited by dynomot; December 28th, 2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old December 28th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: metroPCS

i can offer my feedback..i went into a Tmobile store and bought the note3 in November.. I paid it off 2 weeks ago.. I called tmo and asked them for my unlock code... they asked me for my imei number and put in a request and Samsung emailed me a day later with my unlock code for when I put in a simcard into the device!
Old December 28th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus 5, Galaxy note II (back up)
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 1,077 Times in 628 Posts

I was thinking about doing it "off the radar" via chainfires app but I am kind of wondering if it is going to be worth the headache just so I can have root.

I mean, I had the note 3 from at&t before and it was a damn nice device but it got kicked from my microcell and thus was useless so I returned it. I kind of miss it.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Samsung is coming back with its legendary phablet. The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 comes packed with the best of specs, featuring a 5.7-inch display, a Snapdragon 800 procesor, a 3200 mAh battery and all the specs you can expect from a top-end device.&nb... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3