Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
Like Tree13Likes
  • 5 Post By chimphappyhour
  • 1 Post By Paul7876
  • 2 Post By dynomot
  • 2 Post By drexappeal
  • 1 Post By dynomot
  • 1 Post By dan330
  • 1 Post By XiphoneUzer

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 2nd, 2014, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 196
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 76
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Default Has anyone else noticed how loud this phone is?

Are there any apps or root mods to lower the system volume?
For example, the sound effect that plays when starting Google Now voice search is way too loud, and I have everything set to its lowest volume including system

Advertisements
Paul7876 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 2nd, 2014, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: KCMO
Posts: 545
 
Device(s): N7 (12&13), Note 2, GNex, N1, G1, TF
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 30
Thanked 87 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Actually, some of wish that some aspects of this phone were louder.
chimphappyhour is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 196
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 76
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Yeah, I've read that :-) I'm pretty happy with the ringtone, media etc., it's just these sound effects that seem over the top to me
drexappeal likes this.
Paul7876 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,285
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,469
Thanked 2,875 Times in 1,948 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7876 View Post
Are there any apps or root mods to lower the system volume?
For example, the sound effect that plays when starting Google Now voice search is way too loud, and I have everything set to its lowest volume including system
LOL...I seriously thought I was in the minority on this one, but people have even complained to me about how loud the Note 3 is. I usually attribute that to my having perfected the cuffing technique (for the most part), which amplifies the sound a 'bit. I've seen more people complain about the phone being too soft, as compared to being "too loud," but I've found it to be louder than the Note 2.

Even without my cuffing the phone, so the sound is amplified, it seems to amplify off tables just as much. I'm sure, if I compared it to a HTC One, I might feel differently (due to the HTC One's front speakers), but overall I've been more than happy with how loud the Note 3 is.

For lowering system volume, I usually just hit the volume button once and then hit the cog/setting button on the right of the pop-up, and adjust the volume accordingly. At work, I have a quick profile setting that I toggle on, so that my notifications aren't so loud.
__________________
Love the G-Note series!
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dynomot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sheffield U.K
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,317
 
Device(s): SGSII (GT-i9100)-SOLD SGSIII(GT-i9300)-SOLD SGS4 (GT-i9505)-SOLD
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Thanks: 343
Thanked 417 Times in 325 Posts
Default

Yes, most of us think it is too quiet!

I don't know of any mod or app that'll make it quieter I'm afraid, someone may be able to help.

I'm curious, what variant Note 3 do you have?
ScandaLeX and Note3owner like this.
__________________
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005
ROOTED STOCK FIRMWARE PHILZ TOUCH RECOVERY

"The only foolish question is the question not asked"-Anon
dynomot is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dynomot For This Useful Post:
Paul7876 (January 3rd, 2014)
Old January 2nd, 2014, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,285
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,469
Thanked 2,875 Times in 1,948 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomot View Post
Yes, most of us think it is too quiet!

I don't know of any mod or app that'll make it quieter I'm afraid, someone may be able to help.

I'm curious, what variant Note 3 do you have?
I have the Sprint Note 3. Just by comparison with all of my relatives that have different android devices, my Note 3 is actually the loudest.

I typically have my phone at 2 volume levels when using it. Either it's on Vibrate or the lowest volume possible or on completely full volume. I rarely/if ever, have the volume levels anywhere in between (w/ exception to the phone ring volume).

Part of me wonders though, if it's based on the custom notification sounds/ringtones that I use, vs. the actual volume of the phone. I typically have notification sounds/ringtones that are at higher volume levels than the standard ringtones/notification sounds, so it's probably part of the reason those seem much louder.
dynomot and Note3owner like this.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dynomot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sheffield U.K
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,317
 
Device(s): SGSII (GT-i9100)-SOLD SGSIII(GT-i9300)-SOLD SGS4 (GT-i9505)-SOLD
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Thanks: 343
Thanked 417 Times in 325 Posts
Default

My SM-N9005 Note 3 is too quiet. It's the only bad thing about it. I wish it had stereo speakers like an HTC 1, but other than that I wouldn't change a thing.
ScandaLeX likes this.
dynomot is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 03:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10,025
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,767
Thanked 2,010 Times in 1,555 Posts
Default

too loud?? wow.. most times.. just lowering the volume.. using the buttons or settings can remedy being to loud.

i personally wish it could be louder.
when i am using the speakers to watch vid or talk.

suck a large phone.. having 2 speakers would have been easy to design into this phone. one at bottom and one at top. facing forward like the HTC One would have been ideal.. but to the sides would still be great!

i bet.. NOTE4 will have 2 speakers
ScandaLeX likes this.
__________________
Later,
Dan

DropBox: register for free space (we both get 500MB extra space): http://db.tt/sWYVl3j6
dan330 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 10:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dontpanicbobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Boston MA USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,018
 
Device(s): HTC One (M8), Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S II, Google G1
Carrier: t-mobile

Thanks: 351
Thanked 904 Times in 590 Posts
Default

Yeah I think the Note 3 is pretty loud myself. Most times I don't even bother with My JBL Flip when I'm watching videos. I don't use Google Now so I'm no help in that department.
__________________
"You silly twisted boy, you" - Hercules Grytpype-Thynne
dontpanicbobby is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 12:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 88
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimphappyhour View Post
Actually, some of wish that some aspects of this phone were louder.


That was EXACTLY what I was thinking as I read the subject title.
XiphoneUzer is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 3rd, 2014, 12:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fayetteville, NC, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,401
 
Device(s): Note3 running X-Note 4.3 in Safestrap Stock slot.
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 16
Thanked 2,884 Times in 2,643 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Part of me wonders though, if it's based on the custom notification sounds/ringtones that I use, vs. the actual volume of the phone. I typically have notification sounds/ringtones that are at higher volume levels than the standard ringtones/notification sounds, so it's probably part of the reason those seem much louder.
Load them into Audacity and lower the volume in the file itself. Then save those files back to the phone.
Rukbat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 02:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 196
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 76
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Thanks for all the replies. If there's no workarounds then I'll just have to leave it as is :-)
Paul7876 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 03:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 1,076
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (white) on 3 - UK. Samsung Tab S 10.5 (white). Nexus 7, OnePlus One
Carrier: Three - UK

Thanks: 63
Thanked 124 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Smart volume allows you to simply control different volume settings. I've always been a fan of this app.
bonerp is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 06:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 110
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 32
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Default

To lower system volume press volume up/down and press the settings to the right side. All the options are there
Note3owner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 11:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,285
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,469
Thanked 2,875 Times in 1,948 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
Load them into Audacity and lower the volume in the file itself. Then save those files back to the phone.
I'm not too concerned about the files being too loud though because the times that I have the volume up full blast are when I'm at home. Majority of the time, if I'm out and about or at work, the phone is on vibrate.

I was mainly making that comment to emphasize the possibility that I think the phone sounds loud because the sound files are set louder than the standard ringtones/notifications.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 12:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 90
 
Device(s): Samsung Note 3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 11
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Mine is an AT&T model and the music plays at such a low volume that I can barely hear it for the most part.. Funny thing is voice notifications and boot up audio is much louder..That's my only complaint I have and I can get around it with my bluetooth headphones.. Love the phone..
Sonnydigs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 01:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 88
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnydigs View Post
Mine is an AT&T model and the music plays at such a low volume that I can barely hear it for the most part.. Funny thing is voice notifications and boot up audio is much louder..That's my only complaint I have and I can get around it with my bluetooth headphones.. Love the phone..


I feel the same way Sonny.
The weak volume level is my ONLY complaint.
Sonnydigs likes this.
XiphoneUzer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 01:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 90
 
Device(s): Samsung Note 3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 11
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiphoneUzer View Post
I feel the same way Sonny.
The weak volume level is my ONLY complaint.
It really is strange how loud the AT&T boot-up is and my voice notification to texts and emails are but music and movies are a real problem... I can hear that annoying AT&T boot up in the next room, lol..
Hoping it is something that may be addressed in a software update.. :-)
Soon I hope..
Sonnydigs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 01:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,285
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,469
Thanked 2,875 Times in 1,948 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnydigs View Post
It really is strange how loud the AT&T boot-up is and my voice notification to texts and emails are but music and movies are a real problem... I can hear that annoying AT&T boot up in the next room, lol..
Hoping it is something that may be addressed in a software update.. :-)
Soon I hope..
Oh, I see. I rarely, if ever, watch movies or listen to music without headphones connected via bluetooth. That said, the cuff technique works good enough for me, in those rare instances that I am watching a video or listening to music directly with the phone speakers.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 04:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,813
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,167
Thanked 949 Times in 618 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan330 View Post
too loud?? wow.. most times.. just lowering the volume.. using the buttons or settings can remedy being to loud.

i personally wish it could be louder.
when i am using the speakers to watch vid or talk.

suck a large phone.. having 2 speakers would have been easy to design into this phone. one at bottom and one at top. facing forward like the HTC One would have been ideal.. but to the sides would still be great!

i bet.. NOTE4 will have 2 speakers
You hope it has 2 speakers. LOL! Personally don't get why they insist on placing speakers on the back. The placement of the Note 2 speaker is interesting but not loud enough for me- especially when I'm Netflix'g.
__________________
If you've been helped by anyone click THANKS
ScandaLeX is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 3rd, 2014, 06:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 110
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 32
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
You hope it has 2 speakers. LOL! Personally don't get why they insist on placing speakers on the back. The placement of the Note 2 speaker is interesting but not loud enough for me- especially when I'm Netflix'g.
The note 3 speakers are at the front
Note3owner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 07:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10,025
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,767
Thanked 2,010 Times in 1,555 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Note3owner View Post
The note 3 speakers are at the front
????? where? what? when?

i think i have a fake NOTE3!!!!!
(did you see what i did there? :P )
dan330 is offline  
Last edited by dan330; January 3rd, 2014 at 07:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 07:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 110
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 32
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Lol
Note3owner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 07:46 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
pdqgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 110
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 3
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Default

My AT&T Note 3 is LOUD! Not only can I play a voice mail through the ear peice and still hear it clearly, it plays videos through the built in speaker pretty loud too. I've never had a problem with it being low.
pdqgp is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 09:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,285
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,469
Thanked 2,875 Times in 1,948 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Note3owner View Post
The note 3 speakers are at the front
Technically, it's one speaker at the bottom
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 09:22 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 110
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 32
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Well yeah
Note3owner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 08:26 AM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 20
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 4
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
LOL...I seriously thought I was in the minority on this one, but people have even complained to me about how loud the Note 3 is. I usually attribute that to my having perfected the cuffing technique (for the most part), which amplifies the sound a 'bit. I've seen more people complain about the phone being too soft, as compared to being "too loud," but I've found it to be louder than the Note 2.

Even without my cuffing the phone, so the sound is amplified, it seems to amplify off tables just as much. I'm sure, if I compared it to a HTC One, I might feel differently (due to the HTC One's front speakers), but overall I've been more than happy with how loud the Note 3 is.

For lowering system volume, I usually just hit the volume button once and then hit the cog/setting button on the right of the pop-up, and adjust the volume accordingly. At work, I have a quick profile setting that I toggle on, so that my notifications aren't so loud.
Drex, are you using an app for sound profiles or am I missing something? Just got my Note 3 after using Moto products for a long time. Looking for something to replace Moto's Smart Actions.
slickbrave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 12:47 PM   #28 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,285
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,469
Thanked 2,875 Times in 1,948 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickbrave View Post
Drex, are you using an app for sound profiles or am I missing something? Just got my Note 3 after using Moto products for a long time. Looking for something to replace Moto's Smart Actions.
quick profiles.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.softxperience.android.quickprofiles

I bought tasker, but I have to sit down and really read into that b4 I use it...way more complicated than people make it sound.

I was planning on using nfc tags I had from note 2, but I watched a video mentioning that the ones I have won't work.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
slickbrave (January 4th, 2014)
Reply

Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Samsung is coming back with its legendary phablet. The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 comes packed with the best of specs, featuring a 5.7-inch display, a Snapdragon 800 procesor, a 3200 mAh battery and all the specs you can expect from a top-end device.&nb... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.