Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
Like Tree19Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 24th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Default New SanDisk 128 GB microSD

Did everybody catch the SanDisk announcement in Barcelona today of their new 128 GB microSD card? GoodGawdAwmighty!!

SANDISK INTRODUCES WORLD’S HIGHEST CAPACITY microSDXC MEMORY CARD AT 128GB
flailer and SkyJackpot like this.

Advertisements
The Following User Says Thank You to RickSchlegel For This Useful Post:
flailer (March 2nd, 2014)
sponsored links
Old February 24th, 2014, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): Note3 running X-Note 4.3 in Safestrap Stock slot.
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 2,884 Times in 2,643 Posts

That was the official introduction, it was leaked a few weeks ago,

For someone who was once amazed at a 32MB flash drive, we've come more than just a long way, baby.
Old February 24th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy N3 / Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: EE UK

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSchlegel View Post
Did everybody catch the SanDisk announcement in Barcelona today of their new 128 GB microSD card? GoodGawdAwmighty!!

They're very aware of Android, as seen in the press text from that Web link:

"An Enhanced SanDisk Memory Zone App-smarter Ways to organize, optimize, and Backup Android
Smartphones

A new version of the SanDisk Memory Zone app (available on the Google Play" store in beta) lets users easily view, access, and backup all of their files from their phone's

memory in one convenient place. As a part of the SanDisk Memory Zone app, SanDisk is releasing OptiMem
e, a new feature that allows Android users to enhance their

phone's internal memory by automatically transferring some of their old photos and videos to their microSD card'. optiMem will continuously monitor the users mobile

device memory levels, and inform them whenever the internal memory falls below a pre-defined threshold."
Old February 24th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): Note3 running X-Note 4.3 in Safestrap Stock slot.

Thanked 2,884 Times in 2,643 Posts

I downloaded the app. I don't know about OptiMem, but for transferring files, not just multimedia, but many different types, I like it. It's a well-thought-out app and will make it a lot easier to make sure that when you brick the phone stone cold dead, there are pics and videos of the kids and.or grandkids still available.

Stiil even for a software junkie like me, 128GB? I'd sure like to live long enough to fill that up. (And I'm sure we're going to see a whole trainload of adapters for 32GB and 64GB phones coming out of Shenzheng soon.)
Old February 24th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,876 Times in 1,949 Posts

Quote:

Nice! I've been waiting for a formal announcement. It's about time. That said, I don't intend on getting one until next year, as I'd imagine they'd over price it to start (I'm thinking $149-199), and then slowly drop the price as time goes on. How funny...it'll be more expensive than some phones.
Old February 24th, 2014, 10:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
Stiil even for a software junkie like me, 128GB? I'd sure like to live long enough to fill that up. (And I'm sure we're going to see a whole trainload of adapters for 32GB and 64GB phones coming out of Shenzheng soon.)
Indeed I bought the 16 GB Ultra SanDisk a few months ago and I don't know if it will ever be filled up. Maybe it would be good for something like longer length 4K videos, as one video I recorded amounted to 333 MB for 58 seconds of footage on the Note 3
Old February 24th, 2014, 11:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): T-Mobile MyTouch 3G, T-Mobile-USA Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: T-Mobile - USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJackpot View Post
"A new version of the SanDisk Memory Zone app (available on the Google Play" store in beta) lets users easily view, access, and backup all of their files from their phone's memory in one convenient place. As a part of the SanDisk Memory Zone app, SanDisk is releasing OptiMeme, a new feature that allows Android users to enhance their phone's internal memory by automatically transferring some of their old photos and videos to their microSD card'. optiMem will continuously monitor the users mobile device memory levels, and inform them whenever the internal memory falls below a pre-defined threshold."
No thanks. I bought a SanDisk USB drive several years ago and discovered that it came with a "file manager" app that was basically SanDisk advertising. It was a rootkit and you could not remove it, even by reformatting the drive. Eventually SanDisk got so many complaints from customers that they put a web-based removal app on their website.

Once I removed their crap the drive worked fine, but I'll never buy another SanDisk product again. I'll wait until their competition comes up with a 128 GB SD card.
Old February 24th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jason View Post
No thanks. I bought a SanDisk USB drive several years ago and discovered that it came with a "file manager" app that was basically SanDisk advertising. It was a rootkit and you could not remove it, even by reformatting the drive. Eventually SanDisk got so many complaints from customers that they put a web-based removal app on their website.

Once I removed their crap the drive worked fine, but I'll never buy another SanDisk product again. I'll wait until their competition comes up with a 128 GB SD card.
No problem and enjoy your new card whenever you decide to get one. Enjoying my SanDisk Ultra at the moment surprised it can handle recording 4K videos but realise the camera data rate on a Note 3 is nowhere near as high as a production studio 4K recorder
Old February 24th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
I'm typically in the minority when it comes to this, but both my 64's in my note 3 and 8 are practically filled up. I have been itching for 128 for so long, so I can't wait till the cards are affordable.
The_Chief and Simon_Gardner like this.
Old February 24th, 2014, 11:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

Device(s): Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy Note 3

Default 64 GB SDxC

So, I believe the bigger question is will the Note 3 interface support the 64 GB option.

The spec's as I read them right now indicate the unit is limited to 64 GB and may not even accept the 128 GB module.

Just need to make sure before someone springs for a device that they may not be able to use.
sponsored links
Old February 25th, 2014, 02:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s): ASUS Nexus 7 (2012, 32GB), Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Carrier: T-Mobile

Send a message via AIM to En4cer2k11 Send a message via Yahoo to En4cer2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAGibb View Post
So, I believe the bigger question is will the Note 3 interface support the 64 GB option.

The spec's as I read them right now indicate the unit is limited to 64 GB and may not even accept the 128 GB module.

Just need to make sure before someone springs for a device that they may not be able to use.
I think you kinda have to put an asterisk on that because even though it SAYS up to 64 GB, the fact of the matter is, there WASN'T ever anything bigger than that. So theoretically, you were only "limited" by default, and not necessarily because it doesn't ACCEPT higher capacity.
RickSchlegel likes this.
Old February 25th, 2014, 07:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Accept no imitations!

Device(s): Note 3 (rooted & ROMmed), Galaxy Nexus (retired), OG Droid (retired)

Thanked 7,147 Times in 3,391 Posts

I know the price point will drop on this, and no doubt Samsung and other chip manufacturers are close to perfecting their 128GB cards. Competition will drive the $200 price down fast... I can see it level out at half that.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a nearly full 64GB card! I want this, I need this, and I will own it on Black Friday in November. Right about the time I'm comfortable with my new Note 4's capabilities
drexappeal and SkyJackpot like this.

If I have helped you at all, please click the "Thanks" button
Forum Rules & Guidelines
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Chief For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (February 25th, 2014)
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Note 3

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chief View Post
I know the price point will drop on this, and no doubt Samsung and other chip manufacturers are close to perfecting their 128GB cards. Competition will drive the $200 price down fast... I can see it level out at half that.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a nearly full 64GB card! I want this, I need this, and I will own it on Black Friday in November. Right about the time I'm comfortable with my new Note 4's capabilities
I'm with you on this but I'm thinking in a new Note 4...
Old February 25th, 2014, 09:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC DNA, Droid RAZR Maxx, Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Just because it's somewhat relevant, Newegg has a 64gb UHS-1 MicroSD card for $29.99 when you use coupon code EMCPHHE37.

My Note 3 will arrive tomorrow but I'm happy to report I already own a 64gb card that has gone unused for quite some time since I'm coming from a DNA.
The_Chief likes this.
Old February 25th, 2014, 09:12 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unccman View Post
Just because it's somewhat relevant, Newegg has a 64gb UHS-1 MicroSD card for $29.99 when you use coupon code EMCPHHE37.

My Note 3 will arrive tomorrow but I'm happy to report I already own a 64gb card that has gone unused for quite some time since I'm coming from a DNA.
That is a class 1 card..
Class 10 is recommended from my understanding..
Old February 25th, 2014, 09:17 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnydigs View Post
That is a class 1 card..
Class 10 is recommended from my understanding..
Well, it's UHS-1 (Ultra High Speed) and it has the same write speed (10mb/s) and a faster read speed (40mb/s) than most Class 10 cards (normal is about 30, I believe).

Good looking out, though!

Source for additional information if you're interested.
Sonnydigs likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to unccman For This Useful Post:
Sonnydigs (February 25th, 2014)
Old February 25th, 2014, 09:19 AM   #17 (permalink)

Happy

Quote:
Well, it's UHS-1 (Ultra High Speed) and it has the same write speed (10mb/s) and a faster read speed (40mb/s) than most Class 10 cards (normal is about 30, I believe).

Thanks...
Then it looks like I may get one..
Last edited by Sonnydigs; February 25th, 2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old February 25th, 2014, 09:22 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks...
Then it looks like I may get one..
Good deal, man! I paid about $55 for mine roughly a year ago. This is the lowest price I've seen in a while. It's got good speeds and good reviews. I'd say go for it.
Old February 25th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:

Whoops, it's not in stock...
Old February 25th, 2014, 09:48 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Whoops, it's not in stock...
That sold out quickly!
sponsored links
Old February 25th, 2014, 11:09 AM   #21 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chief View Post

I'll be keeping my eye out for sure. I can't recall when the 64's dropped from 100, but I want to say it was around 6 months from initial release, so I will be keeping my eyes open for sure.
Old February 25th, 2014, 11:25 AM   #22 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:

By the same account, there were a lot of devices that supposedly could only hold up to 32gb, ehn the 64gb cards released, but even the Motorola Droid was said to have no problems using the 64gb cards.
Old February 25th, 2014, 11:53 AM   #23 (permalink)
AF Addict

Damn, I wish I had seen it earlier:

Phandroid article:
SanDisk 128GB microSD card annonced

Amazon link:
Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 128 GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter (SDSDQUA-128G-G46A): Computers & Accessories

Best Buy must have pulled it from the website because the link that the Phandroid article didn't show anything.

That said, the card is much less than I expected, if the $119.99 price listed on Amazon is the actual retail price. I'll be keeping my eye out for special deals that'll drop it to the $60 range, which I'd pay in a heartbeat, as I have relatives that would have no problem buying the 64gb cards off me for super cheap.
The Following User Says Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
The_Chief (February 26th, 2014)
Old February 25th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #24 (permalink)
AF Addict

Card is "available" on Amazon again, for shipping within 2-3 weeks. I'm going to wait until the first price drop, but wanted to mention it for those that can't wait.
Old February 26th, 2014, 07:46 AM   #25 (permalink)
R=G

Device(s):

Quote:

Damn. .it's gone
Old February 26th, 2014, 07:53 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R=G View Post
Damn. .it's gone
Would this one work?
Patriot LX 64GB Secure Digital Extended Capacity (SDXC) Flash Card Model PSF64GSDXC10 - Newegg.com
Old February 26th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #27 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC EVO

Do yourself a favor and stick with a SanDisk branded card. Off-brand MICRO SD cards have a (relatively) high failure rate, whereas SanDisk has been pretty reliable for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
Sonnydigs (February 26th, 2014)
Old February 26th, 2014, 10:47 AM   #28 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by R=G View Post
Damn. .it's gone
PNY has a deal of the day on Best Buy 64gb card for 29.99
Sonnydigs likes this.
Old February 26th, 2014, 10:48 AM   #29 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, LG F3Q

I'll stick with my 64 gig. I don't need to load up 10,000 mp3's and 500 movies on my phone. I stream all that crap off my home cloud or iheartradio.
AndroidKillsiOS likes this.
Old February 26th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
PNY has a deal of the day on Best Buy 64gb card for 29.99
After looking I don't see it..
Looked at pny and deal of the day..
I'm sure it's there but couldn't find it.
Thanks.
sponsored links
Old February 26th, 2014, 01:21 PM   #31 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
After looking I don't see it..
Looked at pny and deal of the day..
I'm sure it's there but couldn't find it.
Thanks.
My mistake. I was rushing to post it up, for those that were trying to upgrade to the 64, but hadn't yet. It's $39.99 and I should have been more clear that it's Best Buy's deal of the day:
Deal of the Day
Old February 26th, 2014, 02:08 PM   #32 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Note 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodycount View Post
I'll stick with my 64 gig. I don't need to load up 10,000 mp3's and 500 movies on my phone. I stream all that crap off my home cloud or iheartradio.
At some point, I have trouble finding stuff...
Old February 26th, 2014, 02:46 PM   #33 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, LG F3Q

Quote:
At some point, I have trouble finding stuff...
I just bought a WD My Cloud for my house. It's nice as they have an app also. Can stream from anywhere all my mp3's from the box located in my basement. Bought the 3 TB version. Can auto upload any picture I take instantly so I know it's backed up.

And with DNLA, it lets me stream movies I downloaded to my cable box and my home computer. Really worth the money.
Old February 26th, 2014, 07:15 PM   #34 (permalink)
Accept no imitations!

I just pounced on the Amazon deal. $120 for 128GB is a deal any day of the week. Even if I have to wait a couple of weeks for restock, that'll double my card capacity and Heaven knows I need that!
drexappeal likes this.
Old February 27th, 2014, 06:48 AM   #35 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 3, Huawei E586 MiFi
Carrier: Vodafone/Three/O2

With the super clunky Note3 <-> Mac interface I'm just wondering how I'm going to get my stuff from my almost full 64Gb Micro SD to the 128Gb Micro SD I'm getting soonest.

Anybody seen a European supplier of 128Gb Micro SD cards BTW?
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:05 AM   #36 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_Gardner View Post
With the super clunky Note3 <-> Mac interface I'm just wondering how I'm going to get my stuff from my almost full 64Gb Micro SD to the 128Gb Micro SD I'm getting soonest.

Anybody seen a European supplier of 128Gb Micro SD cards BTW?
microSD to USB adaptor and your OTG cable?
flailer likes this.
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:19 AM   #37 (permalink)
Premium Member

Device(s): Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy Note 3

Or 2 Micro SDHC Adaptors plugging into 2 USB ports on your Mac?
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:32 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
microSD to USB adaptor and your OTG cable?
OK. That should work.
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:32 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Or 2 Micro SDHC Adaptors plugging into 2 USB ports on your Mac?
That definitely won't.
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:16 AM   #40 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s):

Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,556 Posts

still only half full on my 32gb... looks like i can wait for when the 128 drops under $50

DropBox: register for free space (we both get 500MB extra space): http://db.tt/sWYVl3j6
sponsored links
Old February 27th, 2014, 01:37 PM   #41 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan330 View Post
still only half full on my 32gb... looks like i can wait for when the 128 drops under $50
Lowest I can see the microSD cards going would be similar to the USB stick I have that's 128gb ($49 on special deal). I'd love to see it go that low, but not sure how long that would take.

I'll settle for it dropping to $75 or even $80. I was tempted with Amazon's price, but still would prefer it being sub-100.
Old February 27th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #42 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s):

the cost to make a 16gb card .. and a 128gb card .. should be pretty even...give or take a few pennies. the only thing is R&D spread over time.

like the beginning of the 16GB card.. it started high and dropped in price as R&D cost got repaid. and now you can get it for $12-15.

same will happen to the 128GB card.. not a matter if it will drop below $50.. just a matter of when
Old February 27th, 2014, 02:40 PM   #43 (permalink)
Accept no imitations!

Yeah, when the 2TB microSD cards are out
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Chief For This Useful Post:
Techlord (February 27th, 2014)
Old February 27th, 2014, 02:56 PM   #44 (permalink)

Device(s): SGP 4.2 - Holofrenzy ROM, LG Optimus F7 - Simplicity XL ROM, Rooted Lg Viper

I remember a time when 8 gig micro sd cards were considered large. 128? That's amazing. I'm guessing that as phones become more powerful so will the size of micro sd cards. Terabyte sized micro sd cards will likely become a reality in 5 years
Old February 27th, 2014, 03:27 PM   #45 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s):

I remember building pc clones.. with 256kb of RAM... dreaming of 1mb!!!!

1mb chip was $100 for my windows computer.

270mb harddrive was $250

today you can find 4GB flash drive in the bargain bins for $9
flailer and drexappeal like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to dan330 For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (February 27th, 2014)
Old February 27th, 2014, 03:33 PM   #46 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC EVO 4G

When I try to load the PNY website from my Note 3, it says there's a plugin not loaded.
Old March 1st, 2014, 05:15 PM   #47 (permalink)

Device(s): Rock; Paper; Scissors. And sometimes two tin-cans with a string between them

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan330 View Post
the cost to make a 16gb card .. and a 128gb card .. should be pretty even...give or take a few pennies. the only thing is R&D spread over time.

like the beginning of the 16GB card.. it started high and dropped in price as R&D cost got repaid. and now you can get it for $12-15.

same will happen to the 128GB card.. not a matter if it will drop below $50.. just a matter of when
I don't think so. The "tools" & procedures needed to manufacture the smaller line-widths are significantly different.

If you had compared 16GB to 8GB I wouldn't have responded, as cost of: a) space b) materials c) tools & d) manpower for these differing products are much the same.

but who am i?
It's a shame that to have a decent phone we have to resort to killing People.
http://androidforums.com/sprint-hero-tips-tricks/22168-got-hero-lag-try.html#post717355
Old March 2nd, 2014, 12:03 AM   #48 (permalink)
AF Addict

list of compatible phones with 128gb card

http://phandroid.com/2014/02/27/phones-that-work-with-sandisk-128gb-microsdxc-card/
flailer likes this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
flailer (March 2nd, 2014), RickSchlegel (March 2nd, 2014), TomWho (March 5th, 2014)
Old March 2nd, 2014, 12:32 PM   #49 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 Droid Razr Maxx

Ive never filled up a 16gb phone, this Note 3 is 32. Not sure that I would ever need 128gb, other than to say "look at me, ive got 128gb storage space on my phone". The SSD drive in my laptop has less storage space.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 12:59 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_Slice View Post
Ive never filled up a 16gb phone, this Note 3 is 32. Not sure that I would ever need 128gb, other than to say "look at me, ive got 128gb storage space on my phone". The SSD drive in my laptop has less storage space.

Look at me I have my 64+32 Gb on my Note 3 maybe 90% full and I have to remove stuff and the 1Tb on my laptop (just increased from 750Gb) about 80% full with maybe 40Tb of hard drives around the place.
drexappeal and Techlord like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon_Gardner For This Useful Post:
Techlord (March 2nd, 2014)

Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Samsung is coming back with its legendary phablet. The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 comes packed with the best of specs, featuring a 5.7-inch display, a Snapdragon 800 procesor, a 3200 mAh battery and all the specs you can expect from a top-end device.&nb... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3