Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By recDNA

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 17th, 2014, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Why is a2dp bluetooth so soft?

Whether I use headphones, car media streaming, or extension speakers I find a2dp bluetooth media streaming volume too low. I am not a blast em til their deaf guy. I just want reasonable volume. I have to turn volume up to full blast in my car just to hear over traffic if Windows are open. In the mall I can't even hear talk radio in my bluetooth earpiece. Is there any app or method to boost bluetooth streaming volume?

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old March 17th, 2014, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
Whether I use headphones, car media streaming, or extension speakers I find a2dp bluetooth media streaming volume too low. I am not a blast em til their deaf guy. I just want reasonable volume. I have to turn volume up to full blast in my car just to hear over traffic if Windows are open. In the mall I can't even hear talk radio in my bluetooth earpiece. Is there any app or method to boost bluetooth streaming volume?
There's a safety function on Samsung (maybe all android) phones, where the bluetooth volume jumps down to 1/2 volume, after connecting. For me, it's hit or miss. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't.

Anyhow, as a rule of thumb, once I've connected a bt device to my phone, I'll just start a song and then make sure that the BT volume is all the way up. From there, I just control the volume level from the bt device (e.g. headphones, car, etc...).

Unfortunately, Bluetooth volume on the phone isn't something you can access without having a bluetooth device connected.
Old March 17th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I have tried turning up the volume from the phone. (repeatedly) It shows volume at 100%. I have only had the issue you describe on wired headphones and as you described it is easily fixed. No fix for bluetooth.
Old March 17th, 2014, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi

Quote:
I have tried turning up the volume from the phone. (repeatedly) It shows volume at 100%. I have only had the issue you describe on wired headphones and as you described it is easily fixed. No fix for bluetooth.
I see. Well, I never (well, rarely) use wired 3.5mm headsets connected to my devices, so my only experience with what you had mentioned was when the bt connects and the bt volume jumps down on the device.

Right now, I have my LG Tone+ headset connected to my Note 3 and they're actually too loud, so I have to turn the volume on the device down by 1/2.

What BT devices are you using, more specifically?

And, just to be sure, when you're checking the volume...you're definitely doing that while you have media playing, correct (Not just when the bt device is connected to the phone)? If you are already familiar with the difference between BT volume control and the main phone volume, then don't worry...but didn't want to assume you did know the difference.
Last edited by drexappeal; March 17th, 2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old March 17th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Yes, I'm sure. Today I was steaming media (tune in radio) through the entune bluetooth connection of my Toyota. Car audio turned up full blast. It wasn't loud enough so I repeated tried turning up volume on phone while listening. I tried immediately then again 10 minutes later then again when I got home while still streaming tune in radio. Volume says bluetooth volume and is clearly at 100%, when I simultaneously had google navigation running (only for part of the trip) the Google tty directions blasted at at least double the volume of the a2dp media. No idea why.
I've had the same experience with my jawbone a2dp earpiece and Motorola bluetooth a2dp headphones and with bluetooth speakers I test tried at Best Buy. Notification sounds are always MUCH louder than music or any other media streaming.
Old March 17th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure. Today I was steaming media (tune in radio) through the entune bluetooth connection of my Toyota. Car audio turned up full blast. It wasn't loud enough so I repeated tried turning up volume on phone while listening. I tried immediately then again 10 minutes later then again when I got home while still streaming tune in radio. Volume says bluetooth volume and is clearly at 100%, when I simultaneously had google navigation running (only for part of the trip) the Google tty directions blasted at at least double the volume of the a2dp media. No idea why.
I've had the same experience with my jawbone a2dp earpiece and Motorola bluetooth a2dp headphones and with bluetooth speakers I test tried at Best Buy. Notification sounds are always MUCH louder than music or any other media streaming.
Wish I could help. My bt volume experience has been the opposite (too loud at times). And the notification sounds via A2DP are on par. Only other thing I could think is that maybe it's an issue with your particular phone?
Old March 17th, 2014, 09:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I'll try the demo Note 3 at the Verizon store on my headphones and earpiece. I doubt it is the phone when notifications are so loud.
drexappeal likes this.
Old March 17th, 2014, 11:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, LG F3Q
Carrier: T-Mobile

Anybody know the app to disable to stop the "Too Loud" pop up from coming up?

I know my old motorola droid razr when it got the 4.2 update came with a similar feature which was an app running in the background which could be stopped, but auto started everytime you rebooted the phone.
Old March 18th, 2014, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

youd have to be rooted.... but that only happens when using wired headphones not a2dp.
Old March 18th, 2014, 09:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 3, Huawei E586 MiFi
Carrier: Vodafone/Three/O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
I see. Well, I never (well, rarely) use wired 3.5mm headsets connected to my devices, so my only experience with what you had mentioned was when the bt connects and the bt volume jumps down on the device.

Right now, I have my LG Tone+ headset connected to my Note 3 and they're actually too loud, so I have to turn the volume on the device down by 1/2.
Anyone tried these non-ear bone conduction type headphones?

sponsored links
Old March 18th, 2014, 09:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

no offense meant but can we stay on topic? i wonder if others have experienced lower volume from a2dp than wired connections?
Old March 20th, 2014, 02:34 AM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One (M8), Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S II, Google G1
Carrier: t-mobile

Hasn't happened to me either way. I get satisfactory volume levels whether I'm wired or using Bluetooth headphones. I haven'e connected to a vehicle via Bluetooth or wire, I don't have a car.
Old March 20th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_Gardner View Post
Didn't even realize those existed (well, stereo versions), until you posted. Seems like a cool concept. I personally am not a fan of the rigid behind the neck construction (similar to the Motorola bt stereo headphones and other manufacturers make), but the bone conduction part is something that I'm intrigued on how good the sound quality is.
Old March 20th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Didn't even realize those existed (well, stereo versions), until you posted. Seems like a cool concept. I personally am not a fan of the rigid behind the neck construction (similar to the Motorola bt stereo headphones and other manufacturers make), but the bone conduction part is something that I'm intrigued on how good the sound quality is.
I certainly am curious. I can't use in-ear headphones. Plus mostly I like to be in a position to hear what's going on/being said to me even if I am listening to something. I have no idea how well this works.
Old March 20th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
I certainly am curious. I can't use in-ear headphones. Plus mostly I like to be in a position to hear what's going on/being said to me even if I am listening to something. I have no idea how well this works.
It's definitely something I'm curious about as well. I don't mind using ear buds, but usually prefer the kind that also have hooks (ala Powerbeats)...but I also prefer bluetooth, so I use my powerbeats with the Sony MW1 bluetooth adapter.

Check out these videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vLM84zJU9w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qteEol4wE4E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0IIM7GjFxQ
Old March 21st, 2014, 05:45 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
It's definitely something I'm curious about as well. I don't mind using ear buds, but usually prefer the kind that also have hooks (ala Powerbeats)...but I also prefer bluetooth, so I use my powerbeats with the Sony MW1 bluetooth adapter.

Check out these videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vLM84zJU9w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qteEol4wE4E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0IIM7GjFxQ
There's a bluetooth version of course as above. I'm also wondering where you were going with the middle link there.

I'm thinking how well does it work if you have reading glasses on?
Last edited by Simon_Gardner; March 21st, 2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old March 21st, 2014, 10:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I get much louder signal on wired headphonenthan bluetooth. I went to Verizon store andtried their demo with my earpiece, bluetooth headphones, and wired headphones. wired headphones much louder just like my phone.
Old March 21st, 2014, 11:18 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I get much louder signal on wired headphonenthan bluetooth. I went to Verizon store andtried their demo with my earpiece, bluetooth headphones, and wired headphones. wired headphones much louder just like my phone.
There's no intrinsic reason why this should be so.
Old March 21st, 2014, 11:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
There's no intrinsic reason why this should be so.
tried 2 note 3. same result. I couldn't test my car with both but I did test with Jawbone earpiece, Motorola bluetooth headphones, and cheap wired headphones. The wired headphones are louder. I have noticed that if I use a built in wireless app in my car like Pandora or I Heart Radio that volume is normal (loud) but when streaming bluetooth something prevents comparable volume. Interestingly, tty is much louder than a2dp media streaming but I think that is true in wired headphones as well. If the solution is a different bluetooth earpiece that would be fine but none of the manufacturers list maximum volume as one of their specs. I was told my jawbone is about as loud as it gets. I am often in a noisy environment and need an earpiece capable of greater volume. I prefer an earpiece to headphones because sometimes I need to hear my surroundings.
Old March 21st, 2014, 12:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
tried 2 note 3. same result. I couldn't test my car with both but I did test with Jawbone earpiece, Motorola bluetooth headphones, and cheap wired headphones. The wired headphones are louder. I have noticed that if I use a built in wireless app in my car like Pandora or I Heart Radio that volume is normal (loud) but when streaming bluetooth something prevents comparable volume. Interestingly, tty is much louder than a2dp media streaming but I think that is true in wired headphones as well. If the solution is a different bluetooth earpiece that would be fine but none of the manufacturers list maximum volume as one of their specs. I was told my jawbone is about as loud as it gets. I am often in a noisy environment and need an earpiece capable of greater volume. I prefer an earpiece to headphones because sometimes I need to hear my surroundings.
For the Jawbone, there's a setting under Accessibility, that allows to switch from stereo to mono. Maybe that'll help concentrate the volume level towards that. When I had my Jawbone Era, I never listened to music with it.

There's also an adapt setting for the 3.5mm wired headphones. That's under the sound settings.

Have you attempted using any of those settings yet?

Wish I had a more definitive answer for you, but my experience has been fine, but just brainstorming in case these are things you haven't tried yet.
Last edited by drexappeal; March 22nd, 2014 at 01:01 AM.
sponsored links
Old March 21st, 2014, 12:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I listen to sports talk radio. my jawbone doesn't have setting other than just phone or phone & media
Old March 22nd, 2014, 01:01 AM   #22 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
I listen to sports talk radio. my jawbone doesn't have setting other than just phone or phone & media
Settings i mentioned are in the phone settings, not the bluetooth settings.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:48 AM   #23 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Settings i mentioned are in the phone settings, not the bluetooth settings.
where
Old March 22nd, 2014, 11:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
where
Really? You don't know how to get to accessibility?

Menu>Settings>DeviceTab>Accessibility>Scroll down under Hearing>Mono audio "Switch audio from stereo to mono fro when you are using one earpiece

Or in the same area Sound Balance "Control the sound balance of the media player for when you are using earphones"
Old March 23rd, 2014, 05:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

the key was to tell me to look under accessibility . that's not intuitively obvious....also a bad idea. it can fool car bluetooth to think media is a phone call if I forget to change.it back
Old March 23rd, 2014, 08:25 PM   #26 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
For the Jawbone, there's a setting under Accessibility, that allows to switch from stereo to mono. Maybe that'll help concentrate the volume level towards that. When I had my Jawbone Era, I never listened to music with it.

There's also an adapt setting for the 3.5mm wired headphones. That's under the sound settings.

Have you attempted using any of those settings yet?

Wish I had a more definitive answer for you, but my experience has been fine, but just brainstorming in case these are things you haven't tried yet.

Quote:
the key was to tell me to look under accessibility . that's not intuitively obvious....also a bad idea. it can fool car bluetooth to think media is a phone call if I forget to change.it back
I did. Read my post above, I clearly stated, "There's a setting under Accessibility..."... lol

Look, we are all trying to help You trouble shoot. You don't want the help, don't post a thread. Just trying to give you as many possibilities, so please don't act like you are entitled to answers.
Old April 15th, 2014, 11:45 AM   #27 (permalink)

Device(s): Sm-n900v
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
There's a safety function on Samsung (maybe all android) phones, where the bluetooth volume jumps down to 1/2 volume, after connecting. For me, it's hit or miss. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't.

Anyhow, as a rule of thumb, once I've connected a bt device to my phone, I'll just start a song and then make sure that the BT volume is all the way up. From there, I just control the volume level from the bt device (e.g. headphones, car, etc...).

Unfortunately, Bluetooth volume on the phone isn't something you can access without having a bluetooth device connected.
I have been having the same issue where my audio sounds like it's at 50% sometimes, not every time. My quick fix seems to be making sure my notification volume is on and sending myself a text, after my alert comes in at 100% volume it kicks my Pandora or whatever I'm listening to up to 100%. it's very annoying and I was about to make a thread about this until I found this one.
Old April 15th, 2014, 03:46 PM   #28 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb1373 View Post
I have been having the same issue where my audio sounds like it's at 50% sometimes, not every time. My quick fix seems to be making sure my notification volume is on and sending myself a text, after my alert comes in at 100% volume it kicks my Pandora or whatever I'm listening to up to 100%. it's very annoying and I was about to make a thread about this until I found this one.
You know, it's odd because i started running into an issue recently where when I switch from bluetooth to regular phone speaker, the volume is way too soft and only solution is after soft reset. It was first time I experienced volume level issues. Haven't been able to duplicate, but there is obviously something there work intermittent volume level issues.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Samsung is coming back with its legendary phablet. The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 comes packed with the best of specs, featuring a 5.7-inch display, a Snapdragon 800 procesor, a 3200 mAh battery and all the specs you can expect from a top-end device.&nb... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3