Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 25th, 2014, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default using my verizon note 3 on Tmobile

I'm trying to figure out how to use my Verizon note 3 one T-mobile network. I see people say to press *#06# and then put in my unlock code but that's not working on my phone. Is there any other way to unlock my phone so that it works on T-Mobile .

Advertisements
therealbigrich is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 25th, 2014, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fayetteville, NC, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,401
 
Device(s): Note3 running X-Note 4.3 in Safestrap Stock slot.
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 16
Thanked 2,881 Times in 2,641 Posts
Default

No, since it's a CDMA phone and TMobile uses GSM. You can put it on Sprint and use their SIM card if you unlock it, but you can't use a CDMA phone on a GSM network. (It's like getting a picture on a radio - they're different technologies.)
Rukbat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 66
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default

The Galaxy Note 3 is not CDMA, it's LTE.
johnpjackson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fayetteville, NC, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,401
 
Device(s): Note3 running X-Note 4.3 in Safestrap Stock slot.
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 16
Thanked 2,881 Times in 2,641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpjackson View Post
The Galaxy Note 3 is not CDMA, it's LTE.
LTE is the 4G data protocol it uses, Verizon uses CDMA for voice, TMobile uses TDMA(GSM) for voice. The two don't mix. And since logging into the network is done on 2G (voice), regardless of the high speed data protocol the phone or the network use, if the phone can't talk to the network on 2G to connect to the network, the phone won't work on that network.
Rukbat is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rukbat For This Useful Post:
darkmanmd (August 31st, 2014), therealbigrich (March 26th, 2014)
Old March 26th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
LTE is the 4G data protocol it uses, Verizon uses CDMA for voice, TMobile uses TDMA(GSM) for voice. The two don't mix. And since logging into the network is done on 2G (voice), regardless of the high speed data protocol the phone or the network use, if the phone can't talk to the network on 2G to connect to the network, the phone won't work on that network.
Cant really disagree with you because you sound like you know better than me. I just thought if you unlock a phone it could be used on any carrier. I was also pretty sure after I went to more settings and under mobile networks it lets you change network mode from Global, LTE/CDMA and GSM/UMTS so idk.
therealbigrich is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to therealbigrich For This Useful Post:
darkmanmd (August 31st, 2014)
Old March 26th, 2014, 11:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fayetteville, NC, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,401
 
Device(s): Note3 running X-Note 4.3 in Safestrap Stock slot.
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 16
Thanked 2,881 Times in 2,641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigrich View Post
I just thought if you unlock a phone it could be used on any carrier.
That's the SIM-lock, and it applies only to GSM phones. CDMA phones aren't SIM-locked.

Quote:
I was also pretty sure after I went to more settings and under mobile networks it lets you change network mode from Global, LTE/CDMA and GSM/UMTS so idk.
That's the data connection, not the network connection, which is always (these days, anyway) 2G on a GSM phone.
Rukbat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 11:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
That's the SIM-lock, and it applies only to GSM phones. CDMA phones aren't SIM-locked.

That's the data connection, not the network connection, which is always (these days, anyway) 2G on a GSM phone.
Dude please do NOT give incorrect information! Verizon Note3 is an unlocked phone. You can put a tmo sim into the phone and make a phone call directly. I have tested this with my phone

HERE is the APN settings:
Name : T-Mobile LTE

APN: fast.tmobile.com

MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0

MCC: 310

MNC: 260

APN Type: default,supl,admin,dun,mms


You just may or may not get 4G/LTE speeds. I don't know if we can link other forums on here so I'm not going to do that but a simple search on XDA for VZW Note 3 N900V Fully Functional on T-Mobile 4G lte will give you step by step on what to do and for root and no root Note 3 phones.
Twenty1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,888
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,741
Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,538 Posts
Default

I am sure.. that Verizon is CDMA.. and T-Mobile is GSM... for phone calls. the 2 will never mix. This is separate from the DATA radios.

I would be surprised to find out NOTE3 on Verizon has both radios on it.. both GSM and CDMA.. and active. because that is $$$ in both hardware.. kill battery as one would not be used.

similar to Sprint.. they are CDMA too.. and most of those phone do NOT have SIM slots.
GSM phones require SIM cards to activate.

there are small carriers that use Verizon's network as their backbone. and prepaid services.
you might be able to move it on to one of them.
__________________
Later,
Dan

DropBox: register for free space (we both get 500MB extra space): http://db.tt/sWYVl3j6
dan330 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 01:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
That's the SIM-lock, and it applies only to GSM phones. CDMA phones aren't SIM-locked.

That's the data connection, not the network connection, which is always (these days, anyway) 2G on a GSM phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan330 View Post
I am sure.. that Verizon is CDMA.. and T-Mobile is GSM... for phone calls. the 2 will never mix. This is separate from the DATA radios.

I would be surprised to find out NOTE3 on Verizon has both radios on it.. both GSM and CDMA.. and active. because that is $$$ in both hardware.. kill battery as one would not be used.

similar to Sprint.. they are CDMA too.. and most of those phone do NOT have SIM slots.
GSM phones require SIM cards to activate.

there are small carriers that use Verizon's network as their backbone. and prepaid services.
you might be able to move it on to one of them.
Very simple to actually just put a tmo sim card in a note 3 and test which is why I did. You want further usage you can change the APN settings and be all set! Just search XDA under what I said.

I got so tired of VZN and their cost for everything that I switched to Tmo with my VZN Note 3! Yes it works!

Alternately you can also bring your Note 3 to Straight Talk (ST).

No need to believe me or not believe me, just do the sim card swap and see for yourself! If you put in a tmo sim card into your vzn note 3 and try to make a call it won't let you if it can't be done...NOT the case here.
Twenty1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,888
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,741
Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,538 Posts
Default

ok.. If you said you actually did it.. then I stand corrected.

so the Verizon Note3.. is both CDMA and GSM.. unlocked.. = world phone?
dan330 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 2nd, 2014, 11:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan330 View Post
ok.. If you said you actually did it.. then I stand corrected.

so the Verizon Note3.. is both CDMA and GSM.. unlocked.. = world phone?
It does indeed work...at least in the .US I have not tried anything internationally, but I don't see why it too would not work.

A simple APN change and you are set.
Twenty1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 09:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have a galaxy note 3 sprint. I rooted it to work on metro pcs. My question is why am i only getting 3g speeds insteadof 4g? What did i do wrong? Never had this happen before.
iLL wiLL 01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 10:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
The Real Bass Creator
 
Digital Controller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,498
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 4.4.2(Eclipse) , Nexus 7 (Stock), (RIP) Galaxy Nexus 4.4(SlimKat)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 748
Thanked 3,420 Times in 2,163 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLL wiLL 01 View Post
I have a galaxy note 3 sprint. I rooted it to work on metro pcs. My question is why am i only getting 3g speeds insteadof 4g? What did i do wrong? Never had this happen before.
Have you checked the APN settings?

Also when you go to Settings > More Settings (at the top) > Mobile Networks > check out what is chosen, that could have an effect on what you're connecting to.

Otherwise when did this problem start?
__________________
Want Faster help? Read this before posting!

I love this community and so should you! So before posting please read:
Site Rules & Guidelines and Android FAQ's
Digital Controller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 01:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty1 View Post
It does indeed work...at least in the .US I have not tried anything internationally, but I don't see why it too would not work.

A simple APN change and you are set.
bump.. yes correct. i did this when while i was in vietnam. i have a vzw retail note 3. popped in vietnam simcard and phone worked like a charm. i had to manually set up APN though to access the interweb
aldouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2014, 04:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
uknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 580
 
Device(s): Sprint note 3 rooted,stock s3,zte warp rooted runing cm10;) special thanks to all the warps develop
Carrier: sprint

Thanks: 66
Thanked 61 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Wcdma is gsm but cdma standard what matters is not the technology but the airwaves the phone can receive compared to the ones the carrier is sending that's the beauty of lte or wcdma which is advanced 3g so what I'm saying is if you do all proper setting changes you should be able to at best receive 3g and voice will work either way think about global roaming which is gsm standard
__________________
You Can Do It...We Can Help
uknow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 02:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
I'm no Senior
 
Gman9831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,964
 
Device(s): Note 3
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 172
Thanked 984 Times in 674 Posts
Default

Just to help with the clarification, it's not that they can't lock it. Verizon phones with LTE have to be unlocked as thats a condition of them using the 700MHz spectrum. So if its a global capable Verizon LTE phone it'll be unlocked. Almost all are global now anyway.
__________________
If a person has helped you give them a Thanks
Gman9831 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 02:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman9831 View Post
Just to help with the clarification, it's not that they can't lock it. Verizon phones with LTE have to be unlocked as thats a condition of them using the 700MHz spectrum. So if its a global capable Verizon LTE phone it'll be unlocked. Almost all are global now anyway.
Yep. But I haven't been able to tap into any LTE networks outside Verizon. So far the fastest connection I've had was a 3g connection in Vietnam... tested it on speedtest.net Android app for 5mb dl and 2mb upload. Pretty fast for 3g imo
aldouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
the hulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 610
 
Device(s): Note 3 (rooted but stock), Note 2(out to pasture), Sony Xperia Z(sold), Galaxy S4(traded), Motorola
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 52
Thanked 164 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldouse View Post
Yep. But I haven't been able to tap into any LTE networks outside Verizon. So far the fastest connection I've had was a 3g connection in Vietnam... tested it on speedtest.net Android app for 5mb dl and 2mb upload. Pretty fast for 3g imo

here's your sign

VZW Note 3 N900V Fully Functional on T-Mobil… | Verizon Galaxy Note 3 | XDA Forum
the hulk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Posts: 59
 
Device(s): Note 3-Pretty much stock, not into rooting, but always looking for neat apps and widgets..
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

so if I have a Note 3 and unlock it in Canada in order to use Roam Mobility (which works off of t mobile), do I need to buy a SIM in the U.S. in order to use, or can I use any foreign one before activating?
bigredsfan83 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Samsung is coming back with its legendary phablet. The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 comes packed with the best of specs, featuring a 5.7-inch display, a Snapdragon 800 procesor, a 3200 mAh battery and all the specs you can expect from a top-end device.&nb... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.