Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 25th, 2014, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default using my verizon note 3 on Tmobile

I'm trying to figure out how to use my Verizon note 3 one T-mobile network. I see people say to press *#06# and then put in my unlock code but that's not working on my phone. Is there any other way to unlock my phone so that it works on T-Mobile .

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old March 25th, 2014, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): Note3 running X-Note 4.3 in Safestrap Stock slot.
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 2,881 Times in 2,641 Posts

No, since it's a CDMA phone and TMobile uses GSM. You can put it on Sprint and use their SIM card if you unlock it, but you can't use a CDMA phone on a GSM network. (It's like getting a picture on a radio - they're different technologies.)
Old March 25th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

The Galaxy Note 3 is not CDMA, it's LTE.
Old March 26th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpjackson View Post
The Galaxy Note 3 is not CDMA, it's LTE.
LTE is the 4G data protocol it uses, Verizon uses CDMA for voice, TMobile uses TDMA(GSM) for voice. The two don't mix. And since logging into the network is done on 2G (voice), regardless of the high speed data protocol the phone or the network use, if the phone can't talk to the network on 2G to connect to the network, the phone won't work on that network.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rukbat For This Useful Post:
darkmanmd (August 31st, 2014), therealbigrich (March 26th, 2014)
Old March 26th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
LTE is the 4G data protocol it uses, Verizon uses CDMA for voice, TMobile uses TDMA(GSM) for voice. The two don't mix. And since logging into the network is done on 2G (voice), regardless of the high speed data protocol the phone or the network use, if the phone can't talk to the network on 2G to connect to the network, the phone won't work on that network.
Cant really disagree with you because you sound like you know better than me. I just thought if you unlock a phone it could be used on any carrier. I was also pretty sure after I went to more settings and under mobile networks it lets you change network mode from Global, LTE/CDMA and GSM/UMTS so idk.
The Following User Says Thank You to therealbigrich For This Useful Post:
darkmanmd (August 31st, 2014)
Old March 26th, 2014, 11:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigrich View Post
I just thought if you unlock a phone it could be used on any carrier.
That's the SIM-lock, and it applies only to GSM phones. CDMA phones aren't SIM-locked.

Quote:
I was also pretty sure after I went to more settings and under mobile networks it lets you change network mode from Global, LTE/CDMA and GSM/UMTS so idk.
That's the data connection, not the network connection, which is always (these days, anyway) 2G on a GSM phone.
Old March 31st, 2014, 11:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
That's the SIM-lock, and it applies only to GSM phones. CDMA phones aren't SIM-locked.

That's the data connection, not the network connection, which is always (these days, anyway) 2G on a GSM phone.
Dude please do NOT give incorrect information! Verizon Note3 is an unlocked phone. You can put a tmo sim into the phone and make a phone call directly. I have tested this with my phone

HERE is the APN settings:
Name : T-Mobile LTE

APN: fast.tmobile.com

MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0

MCC: 310

MNC: 260

APN Type: default,supl,admin,dun,mms

You just may or may not get 4G/LTE speeds. I don't know if we can link other forums on here so I'm not going to do that but a simple search on XDA for VZW Note 3 N900V Fully Functional on T-Mobile 4G lte will give you step by step on what to do and for root and no root Note 3 phones.
Old March 31st, 2014, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,538 Posts

I am sure.. that Verizon is CDMA.. and T-Mobile is GSM... for phone calls. the 2 will never mix. This is separate from the DATA radios.

I would be surprised to find out NOTE3 on Verizon has both radios on it.. both GSM and CDMA.. and active. because that is $$$ in both hardware.. kill battery as one would not be used.

similar to Sprint.. they are CDMA too.. and most of those phone do NOT have SIM slots.
GSM phones require SIM cards to activate.

there are small carriers that use Verizon's network as their backbone. and prepaid services.
you might be able to move it on to one of them.

DropBox: register for free space (we both get 500MB extra space): http://db.tt/sWYVl3j6
Old March 31st, 2014, 01:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan330 View Post
I am sure.. that Verizon is CDMA.. and T-Mobile is GSM... for phone calls. the 2 will never mix. This is separate from the DATA radios.

I would be surprised to find out NOTE3 on Verizon has both radios on it.. both GSM and CDMA.. and active. because that is $$$ in both hardware.. kill battery as one would not be used.

similar to Sprint.. they are CDMA too.. and most of those phone do NOT have SIM slots.
GSM phones require SIM cards to activate.

there are small carriers that use Verizon's network as their backbone. and prepaid services.
you might be able to move it on to one of them.
Very simple to actually just put a tmo sim card in a note 3 and test which is why I did. You want further usage you can change the APN settings and be all set! Just search XDA under what I said.

I got so tired of VZN and their cost for everything that I switched to Tmo with my VZN Note 3! Yes it works!

Alternately you can also bring your Note 3 to Straight Talk (ST).

No need to believe me or not believe me, just do the sim card swap and see for yourself! If you put in a tmo sim card into your vzn note 3 and try to make a call it won't let you if it can't be done...NOT the case here.
Old March 31st, 2014, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,538 Posts

ok.. If you said you actually did it.. then I stand corrected.

so the Verizon Note3.. is both CDMA and GSM.. unlocked.. = world phone?
sponsored links
Old April 2nd, 2014, 11:18 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan330 View Post
ok.. If you said you actually did it.. then I stand corrected.

so the Verizon Note3.. is both CDMA and GSM.. unlocked.. = world phone?
It does indeed work...at least in the .US I have not tried anything internationally, but I don't see why it too would not work.

A simple APN change and you are set.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 09:28 AM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s):

I have a galaxy note 3 sprint. I rooted it to work on metro pcs. My question is why am i only getting 3g speeds insteadof 4g? What did i do wrong? Never had this happen before.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 10:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
The Real Bass Creator

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 4.4.2(Eclipse) , Nexus 7 (Stock), (RIP) Galaxy Nexus 4.4(SlimKat)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 3,420 Times in 2,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLL wiLL 01 View Post
I have a galaxy note 3 sprint. I rooted it to work on metro pcs. My question is why am i only getting 3g speeds insteadof 4g? What did i do wrong? Never had this happen before.
Have you checked the APN settings?

Also when you go to Settings > More Settings (at the top) > Mobile Networks > check out what is chosen, that could have an effect on what you're connecting to.

Otherwise when did this problem start?

I love this community and so should you! So before posting please read:
Site Rules & Guidelines and Android FAQ's
Old August 1st, 2014, 01:58 AM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty1 View Post
It does indeed work...at least in the .US I have not tried anything internationally, but I don't see why it too would not work.

A simple APN change and you are set.
bump.. yes correct. i did this when while i was in vietnam. i have a vzw retail note 3. popped in vietnam simcard and phone worked like a charm. i had to manually set up APN though to access the interweb
Old August 2nd, 2014, 04:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s): Sprint note 3 rooted,stock s3,zte warp rooted runing cm10;) special thanks to all the warps develop
Carrier: sprint

Wcdma is gsm but cdma standard what matters is not the technology but the airwaves the phone can receive compared to the ones the carrier is sending that's the beauty of lte or wcdma which is advanced 3g so what I'm saying is if you do all proper setting changes you should be able to at best receive 3g and voice will work either way think about global roaming which is gsm standard
Old August 3rd, 2014, 02:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
I'm no Senior

Device(s): Note 3
Carrier: T-Mobile

Just to help with the clarification, it's not that they can't lock it. Verizon phones with LTE have to be unlocked as thats a condition of them using the 700MHz spectrum. So if its a global capable Verizon LTE phone it'll be unlocked. Almost all are global now anyway.
Old August 12th, 2014, 02:49 AM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman9831 View Post
Just to help with the clarification, it's not that they can't lock it. Verizon phones with LTE have to be unlocked as thats a condition of them using the 700MHz spectrum. So if its a global capable Verizon LTE phone it'll be unlocked. Almost all are global now anyway.
Yep. But I haven't been able to tap into any LTE networks outside Verizon. So far the fastest connection I've had was a 3g connection in Vietnam... tested it on speedtest.net Android app for 5mb dl and 2mb upload. Pretty fast for 3g imo
Old August 20th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): Note 3 (rooted but stock), Note 2(out to pasture), Sony Xperia Z(sold), Galaxy S4(traded), Motorola

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldouse View Post
Yep. But I haven't been able to tap into any LTE networks outside Verizon. So far the fastest connection I've had was a 3g connection in Vietnam... tested it on speedtest.net Android app for 5mb dl and 2mb upload. Pretty fast for 3g imo

here's your sign

VZW Note 3 N900V Fully Functional on T-Mobil… | Verizon Galaxy Note 3 | XDA Forum
Old August 28th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 3-Pretty much stock, not into rooting, but always looking for neat apps and widgets..

so if I have a Note 3 and unlock it in Canada in order to use Roam Mobility (which works off of t mobile), do I need to buy a SIM in the U.S. in order to use, or can I use any foreign one before activating?

Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Samsung is coming back with its legendary phablet. The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 comes packed with the best of specs, featuring a 5.7-inch display, a Snapdragon 800 procesor, a 3200 mAh battery and all the specs you can expect from a top-end device.&nb... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3