Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 12th, 2014, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Default USB 3 Cables

So we all know the charging cable that came with our Notes are crap. Are aftermarket USB 3 cables working better, or is the problem with the phone's charging port?

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old April 12th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3 n9005, Samaung Galaxy S IV i9500, Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300, Dell Streak 5,
Carrier: Ufone

thahim.sd@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickbrave View Post
So we all know the charging cable that came with our Notes are crap. Are aftermarket USB 3 cables working better, or is the problem with the phone's charging port?
I usually charge my note 3 with my galaxy s4 charger it has 2.0 cable and I bought that from market its not original works fine.
Old April 12th, 2014, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 3 & Note 10.1 2014 for me, Note 2 for the wife.
Carrier: VZW

I haven't done anything more than unpack the USB 3.0 cable that came with my Note 3. Never even plugged it in since I do not have a computer with a USB 3 port that I know of. So why use it. I just plug the Note 3 into the same cable I used for my Note 2 and my wife who uses my old Note 2 uses the cable that came with my S3.

Works well with both phones for charging and also for transferring files when I do that.

As for aftermarket cable I have never used one so I can't speak about them.

Microsoft would have us believe that we are in a world without walls, if there are no walls who needs Windows?
The Following User Says Thank You to DemDog For This Useful Post:
thahim (April 12th, 2014)
Old April 13th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 3, Huawei E586 MiFi
Carrier: Vodafone/Three/O2

I have about 10 various Note-3 cables lying around and only one has ever failed. That was a Samsung supposedly original. You can get a lot of different cables here.

My only advice is to avoid the stiff cables intended for static computer to peripheral drive use.
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

DemDog,

The USB 3 cable allows for faster charging, when used with the adaptor that came with your Note. However, many of the original Samsung cables do not connect properly, but aftermarket cable are available and inexpensive.
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_Gardner View Post
I have about 10 various Note-3 cables lying around and only one has ever failed. That was a Samsung supposedly original. You can get a lot of different cables here.

My only advice is to avoid the stiff cables intended for static computer to peripheral drive use.
Thanks, Simon. That's the kind of feedback I was looking for.
Old April 14th, 2014, 11:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 3 & Note 10.1 2014 for me, Note 2 for the wife.
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
DemDog,

The USB 3 cable allows for faster charging, when used with the adaptor that came with your Note. However, many of the original Samsung cables do not connect properly, but aftermarket cable are available and inexpensive.
Not what I was told. The faster charging thing. Two folks at Verizon, one in store and another on the phone said that the USB3 cable just allows for faster transfer of data between the phone and a computer.

Can't see where a cable would make it charge faster. It is the plug that puts out 2 amps that makes it charge faster I do believe.

Who really knows. I do not have a problem with the phone going dead or the battery running low so it does not make a difference to me.
Old April 14th, 2014, 12:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Note 3, Huawei E586 MiFi
Carrier: Vodafone/Three/O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemDog View Post
Who really knows.
Whoever does some experiments?

Personally, I much prefer using a USB 3.0 Micro-B plug as it's a heck of a lot easier getting it located in the socket - especially in poor light - than those fiddly small things.

There was much discussion of the USB 3.0 Micro-B spec before launch of the Note 3 here -> http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-note-3/764835-spec-nobody-talking-about-usb-3-0-b.html
Old July 10th, 2014, 06:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Note 3 Razr Maxx. Droid 4, Droid X,
Carrier: Not Provided

some technical details that can be overlooked

the cable that came with the note 3 is a Micro USB 3.0 cable. being USB 3.0 based is it backwards compatible with any usb 2.0 devices. ON the large end. the small end (phone end) is a microUSB cable with a bump addon on for the extra wires that make us USB 3.0

thus any USB3.0 to microUSB 3.0 cable works fine. I like monoprice.com

ALso USB 3.0 brings with it extra current capacity for charging - along with extra data rates.

that said - using the USB-micro 3.0 cable will do 2 things for you - if you have the charge brick it will pass along the full 2A to the device - if you only use a microUSB2.0 cable you won't get the full 2A, but it should be between 1 and 1.2

If on your computer you are trading files - if you don't have a USB 3.0 port then it won't matter what you use - but if you do the speed difference is significant

I just bought my note 3 today and I already have 2 microUSB 3.0 cables on order. one for the car and one for the office
Old July 11th, 2014, 08:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, LG F3Q
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
DemDog,

Not true.

Charging rate is based off the amps your charger outputs. Not the cable.

You can get a 2.1 amp charger and your phone will charge at the same rate with a 2.0 cable and a 3.0 cable.

The 3.0 cable allows for faster data transfers when plugged into a 3.0 port.
sponsored links
Old July 11th, 2014, 10:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
The Real Bass Creator

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 4.4.2(Eclipse) , Nexus 7 (Stock), (RIP) Galaxy Nexus 4.4(SlimKat)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 3,421 Times in 2,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodycount View Post
Not true.

Charging rate is based off the amps your charger outputs. Not the cable.

You can get a 2.1 amp charger and your phone will charge at the same rate with a 2.0 cable and a 3.0 cable.

The 3.0 cable allows for faster data transfers when plugged into a 3.0 port.
This is completely true, unless, however, if the 2.0 cable actually says on it that it provides lesser amps .

The data transfers are pretty large, but I know a lot of people don't really care/use the 3.0 for their phone anyhow since a lot of times people don't directly transfer a lot of files from phone to computer.

I love this community and so should you! So before posting please read:
Site Rules & Guidelines and Android FAQ's
Old July 15th, 2014, 09:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

Yes I forgot to mention.

ON the charger end it only has the 4 wires of a standard USB plug - that means when connected to the charger the other 5 wires for USB 3.0 are on in use - thus the extra volt rail on the plug is also NOT IN USE.

so you can pass the full 2A down a standard micro-USB cable. but only off a charger brick that is rated for such and that the phone recognized (common problem on moto devices and I assume others do as well more on that later)

if the charger brick or adapter is only rated for 1 amp - that's all you'll ever get.

On the recognition - some devices check the connectivity of pins 3 and 4 on the USB side before allowing charging. Moto devices especially did this and I assume other do as well. on chargers they are to be wired together with some resistance in teh 300ohm range - thus telling the phone it is connected to a charger device and not a computer USb port - thus the devices controller will allow the maximum current to flow into the battery charging.

this is why some car chargers while rated high - would charge very slowly because the pins 3 and 4 were left open - the device sees it as standard usb connections and clamps 500mA

i believe most chargers have reworked this - but if you plug in your device and it brings up USB connection options - then the device doesn't recognize it is connected to a charger only.
Old July 15th, 2014, 09:25 AM   #13 (permalink)

to my point earlier - I have 2 no-name USB3.0 to micro USB 3.0 cords I got off monoprice

they both work flawlessly.

together they were cheap than cords from any store and as good a quality as thepackaged samsung ones.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Samsung is coming back with its legendary phablet. The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 comes packed with the best of specs, featuring a 5.7-inch display, a Snapdragon 800 procesor, a 3200 mAh battery and all the specs you can expect from a top-end device.&nb... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Note 3