March 27th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Thread Author (OP)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Derna - Libya
Device(s): Note 2,
Thanked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by VoidWalker
I've had the same problem since yesterday. I was trying to download a new app when suddenly I got the -101 error and then 'Server error' repeatedly after that.
Here's what I did that finally got it to start working..
1. I cleared the data for Google Play.
2. I then switched off my device and then removed the sim card from it.
3. I used a different sim card and switched my device back on.
4. As usual, it detects the new sim, then I opened up Google Play.
5. Accept the agreement, and the market finally loads.
6. I replaced my original sim, and voila, Google Play is finally working.
I'm not sure if this will help any of you guys, but it did fixed mine. I've tried every other way stated in the forums except factory reset which I think is unnecessary.
Do give this method a try, and I hope it will the lot of you. Cheers~
Did not work for me either. I even changed my ISP and tried using the wifi to connect to my new ISP with no avail.