Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Prevail

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 10th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: PA/NJ Usa
Posts: 913
 
Device(s): Evo 3d. Evo 4g. Galaxy SII. Nexus S 4g. Galaxy Prevail (the most loved), Galaxy S3
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 62
Thanked 344 Times in 211 Posts
Default Change the Prevail's MSL/SPC

I want to change the MSL of my Prevail. I've changed the MSL on other phones. It can be done in CDMA WS. Connect to the phone. Read. Send the original MSL of the phone. Phone is unlocked.

The next step is the problem.

On other phones I replace the original MSL with the one I want it changed to and Write it to the phone. After a few seconds the MSL is changed. With the Prevail though the MSL doesn't get changed.

Anyone got any ideas?

kolosus is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 11th, 2012, 02:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Rarewolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CaliFornia, Azusa
Posts: 1,107
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail Sisters Samsung Ultra Samsung Galaxy S Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 196
Thanked 139 Times in 104 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Rarewolf
Default Free for you

Bump! For help
__________________
And Now im Proud Of Cyber Green
themes For CTMod
Rarewolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rarewolf For This Useful Post:
kolosus (February 11th, 2012)
Old February 11th, 2012, 03:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lMonsterl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: U.S.
Posts: 1,313
 
Device(s): | Galaxy SIII-d2spr | CM10 |
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 209
Thanked 603 Times in 310 Posts
Default

Prevail is pretty limited in cdma workshop. Any wrong move could potentially brick it.
__________________
Like what u see? Hit "Thanks"
------------------
Donations Appreciated! PAYPAL
GitHub
lMonsterl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: PA/NJ Usa
Posts: 913
 
Device(s): Evo 3d. Evo 4g. Galaxy SII. Nexus S 4g. Galaxy Prevail (the most loved), Galaxy S3
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 62
Thanked 344 Times in 211 Posts
Default

Thanks for the bump Rarewolf.

I'm not afraid of bricking it. I would be sorry to see it go... but I'm not afraid. I would hope that unbricking through Odin would be a possibility but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I've also messed with the EFS (embedded file system) in the device and if the msl/spc is a file in there I'm not averse to taking the file out and editing it with a hex editor in order to achieve my goal. I'm just leery of going through the 1000+ files in the hopes of finding it!

A bricked Preavil? I'll weep for my little beast for a day or two but I'll chalk it up to science and move on.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to try and change the msl/spc I'm willing to give it a shot.
kolosus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
RedMurkal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 209
 
Device(s): ZTE Warp, Alien Kernel, Halo Jelly
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 72
Thanked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Got me interested, what would you gain from changing these values?
RedMurkal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Rarewolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CaliFornia, Azusa
Posts: 1,107
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail Sisters Samsung Ultra Samsung Galaxy S Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 196
Thanked 139 Times in 104 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Rarewolf
Default

Im really intterested myself thats why im bumping.
I belive its a way to get better service..
Maybe switch to sprints network?
Am I right?
Rarewolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
wetbiker7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southern California
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,672
 
Device(s): SamsungGalaxy S3, LG Marquee, Asus TF300T 32GB w/ dock, SamsungGalaxy Prevail
Carrier: Boost

Thanks: 1,673
Thanked 2,706 Times in 1,827 Posts
Default

Have you tried switching to a Sprint PRL ? I'm running one and I've noticed better reception .

As for changing the MSL/SPC , I'm not sure that it can be done with the Prevail .
wetbiker7 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: PA/NJ Usa
Posts: 913
 
Device(s): Evo 3d. Evo 4g. Galaxy SII. Nexus S 4g. Galaxy Prevail (the most loved), Galaxy S3
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 62
Thanked 344 Times in 211 Posts
Default

The objective of changing the MSL/SPC is to get it on a different plan on Boost. I'm sure you guys are perfectly aware that Boost is only allowing their Android devices to get on their Monthly Unlimited Android plan. $50-$55 a month according to how soon you jumped on the wagon. The $2 a day plan is also available...

I want to use my Prevail as a data only device on their pay as you go plan. Meaning as long as I do not make calls or send texts I'll only have to pay about $16 a month for service. I'll use an app like text free to send my texts and use data only.

Well that's the idea that I'm perusing anyway. Is it actually going to work? Who knows?

While on the subject... I did find a way to change the MSL of the device. You'll have to use EFS Explorer to find and hex edit file # 85 on the embedded chip. The problem is that after editing the file the radio stops working.

There has to be a check file that monitors the 85 file... but I haven't found that yet.

I'm still looking into this. If anyone has any ideas I'm open to suggestions.
kolosus is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kolosus For This Useful Post:
wetbiker7 (February 22nd, 2012)
Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Rarewolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CaliFornia, Azusa
Posts: 1,107
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail Sisters Samsung Ultra Samsung Galaxy S Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 196
Thanked 139 Times in 104 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Rarewolf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetbiker7 View Post
Have you tried switching to a Sprint PRL ? I'm running one
I already get good bars
But if I switched to a sprint one.
Would that mean that I'd still get full bars.
And I'd get less data compression?
Meaning I'd be free do download upload as I please without there being a lag later on in the day? XD
Rarewolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 12:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
wetbiker7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southern California
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,672
 
Device(s): SamsungGalaxy S3, LG Marquee, Asus TF300T 32GB w/ dock, SamsungGalaxy Prevail
Carrier: Boost

Thanks: 1,673
Thanked 2,706 Times in 1,827 Posts
Default

I was told that using a Sprint PRL gives you priority over pre-paid customers . I do know for sure that I get a better signal using one .

You might want to ask New Optimus about it . He's knows much more about PRL's than I do .
wetbiker7 is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 23rd, 2012, 02:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Rarewolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CaliFornia, Azusa
Posts: 1,107
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail Sisters Samsung Ultra Samsung Galaxy S Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 196
Thanked 139 Times in 104 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Rarewolf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetbiker7 View Post
I was told that using a Sprint PRL gives you priority over pre-paid customers . I do know for sure that I get a better signal using one .

You might want to ask New Optimus about it . He's knows much more about PRL's than I do .
Uwwwww!~
I like the sound of the first one..
Ima have to ask him then. XD
Rarewolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jax Fl
Posts: 4,169
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 4, HTC EVO 4G Sold, LG Esteem Wifes, Samsung Galaxy Prevail, Samsung Nexus S 4G, LG Optimus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 391
Thanked 1,455 Times in 1,003 Posts
Default

I answered in pm but for anyone that has questions, I dont know that sprint gets priority over prepaid but from the information I have found on the forums it seems likely.

As for as data compression that should not be a factor I dont think boost will hold you back because of your data usage, they claim unlimited but we all know how that goes.

I dont generally use enough 3g data to know ( im on wifi at home because with the damn pine trees surrounding the house 3g sucks)
And Signal depends on many factors how many towers you have near you as well as if your boost prl has the closest tower to you in it, (sprint prl should have every single sprint tower listed while boost prl may only have 3/4 of them)
and here is some more good information.
it tells you how to change prl

1984kbps!!speedtest.net results after a couple of tweaks
new optimus is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to new optimus For This Useful Post:
DaisFlaque (February 25th, 2012), Rarewolf (February 24th, 2012)
Old February 25th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sector 7 Slums
Gender: Male
Posts: 806
 
Device(s): Galaxy Prevail (stolen), Huawei Ascend 2, Zte Score,Exhibit ii 4g, Sprint galaxy s3 (current )
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 837
Thanked 241 Times in 161 Posts
Default

If there is a free way to get my msl with out having to call Boost please someone give me a hand...?
DaisFlaque is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 11:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jax Fl
Posts: 4,169
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 4, HTC EVO 4G Sold, LG Esteem Wifes, Samsung Galaxy Prevail, Samsung Nexus S 4G, LG Optimus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 391
Thanked 1,455 Times in 1,003 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisFlaque View Post
If there is a free way to get my msl with out having to call Boost please someone give me a hand...?
in terminal emulater you can type
this post has it already.

Easiest & Fastest way to get your MSL Code
new optimus is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to new optimus For This Useful Post:
DaisFlaque (March 5th, 2012), Rarewolf (February 26th, 2012)
Old February 27th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: PA/NJ Usa
Posts: 913
 
Device(s): Evo 3d. Evo 4g. Galaxy SII. Nexus S 4g. Galaxy Prevail (the most loved), Galaxy S3
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 62
Thanked 344 Times in 211 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisFlaque View Post
If there is a free way to get my msl with out having to call Boost please someone give me a hand...?
If you have a different boost handset (non ptt/chirp) then you can do it online. Log into your account. Look in the upper right hand corner. You'd want to "Update handset". Click on it and put in the number of your different handset. Understand that they're going to turn off service to your Prevail and turn on the other handset. On the last page you'll get the other phone's MSL along with reprogramming instructions. You might want to write some stuff down if you want.

Once that's done, log out, log back in and update your handset again. This time putting back the information for the Prevail. When you're done doing it you'll get the instructions again to program your phone. You wont actually do it. Since the phone already had your information in it. Just turn the Prevail on and the phone will be back on... only thing is that when on the last page you'll get the MSL, phone number and the MIN number.

There you go. You got the MSL without calling anyone.

One thing though. If you're on the $55 a month plan changing the handset to a "normal" $50 a month phone or a $60 a month blackberry will change your billing cycle. Once you get back to activating the Prevail you'll have to pay the monthly bill again to start up service. You might also loose the current month's unused portion. There is a way to get credit for your unused days... but that'll mean calling Boost customer support. If the handset you're activating has been used before, and it probably has, then they'll charge you a $10 activation fee. What? Pay money for stuff!?!? The way to do it is to do it online this way they do not charge you the activation fee but you do not get credit for the unused portion of the month.

Best bet would be to swap $55 a month phones for the same. I'm on the $50 a month plan so I can swap it for any phone (other than Blackberrys and "updated" android handsets).

Good luck.

PS: If all you're going to be doing is changing the phone back and forth for a few minutes you do not really have to have the phone in your possession. Just find a serial somewhere. Swap the phones back and forth and get your MSL. I've read about some serials floating about in Howard Forums. I'll try to get hold of some old Boost phone and put up the serial here for anyone to use as they need it... but no promises.
kolosus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
Après moi, le déluge
 
Lordvincent 90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: grand rapids,mi
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,427
 
Device(s): Galaxy Prevail, Galaxy Prevail II, Kyocera Hydro, Nexus 7 (Grouper), Galaxy rush, Htc One SV
Carrier: of the deadly t-virus

Thanks: 1,446
Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,530 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosus View Post
If you have a different boost handset (non ptt/chirp) then you can do it online. Log into your account. Look in the upper right hand corner. You'd want to "Update handset". Click on it and put in the number of your different handset. Understand that they're going to turn off service to your Prevail and turn on the other handset. On the last page you'll get the other phone's MSL along with reprogramming instructions. You might want to write some stuff down if you want.

Once that's done, log out, log back in and update your handset again. This time putting back the information for the Prevail. When you're done doing it you'll get the instructions again to program your phone. You wont actually do it. Since the phone already had your information in it. Just turn the Prevail on and the phone will be back on... only thing is that when on the last page you'll get the MSL, phone number and the MIN number.

There you go. You got the MSL without calling anyone.

One thing though. If you're on the $55 a month plan changing the handset to a "normal" $50 a month phone or a $60 a month blackberry will change your billing cycle. Once you get back to activating the Prevail you'll have to pay the monthly bill again to start up service. You might also loose the current month's unused portion. There is a way to get credit for your unused days... but that'll mean calling Boost customer support. If the handset you're activating has been used before, and it probably has, then they'll charge you a $10 activation fee. What? Pay money for stuff!?!? The way to do it is to do it online this way they do not charge you the activation fee but you do not get credit for the unused portion of the month.

Best bet would be to swap $55 a month phones for the same. I'm on the $50 a month plan so I can swap it for any phone (other than Blackberrys and "updated" android handsets).

Good luck.

PS: If all you're going to be doing is changing the phone back and forth for a few minutes you do not really have to have the phone in your possession. Just find a serial somewhere. Swap the phones back and forth and get your MSL. I've read about some serials floating about in Howard Forums. I'll try to get hold of some old Boost phone and put up the serial here for anyone to use as they need it... but no promises.

or you could follow the link posted above and just dl terminal emulator from the market.And type
Code:
su
getprop ril.MSL
Lol. This way you keep your shrinkage and such
__________________
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Lordvincent 90 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Rarewolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CaliFornia, Azusa
Posts: 1,107
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail Sisters Samsung Ultra Samsung Galaxy S Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 196
Thanked 139 Times in 104 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Rarewolf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordvincent 90 View Post
or you could follow the link posted above and just dl terminal emulator from the market.And type
Code:
su
getprop ril.MSL
Lol. This way you keep your shrinkage and such
Holy #%&$*

0o0!!
Rarewolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy Prevail
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Samsung Galaxy Prevail is an entry level device for Boost Mobile. Unlike some of it's Galaxy S cousins, you wont find some of the higher end "Galaxy S" features and it doesn't have the familiar TouchWhiz interface seen on so m... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Prevail
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.