I think I know what kind of layout you're talking about slayer and I know of a few keyboards that have that layout. They don't usually have them as the default layout but they can be switched to it. Most of these are in the market unless stated otherwise. And not all are free.
- This keyboard is pretty slow but it does have next word prediction which can be nice.
- I hate this one for the swiping kind of input, but it's T9 mode is decent.
- Can be hard to find one that works on the prevail. If I can find where I got the one I have again I'll post a link to it. [EDIT]
I'm about 90% sure I got the HTC_IME keyboard from the following link:
[APP] HtC ime keyboard for cm7 - xda-developers
I could be wrong but it looks like the right one. It says on the page it's for cm7, but I'm running the HalfAssRom and it works fine.
- I have the paid version so I'm not sure if the free one has this layout. Might be worth a shot.
Smart Keyboard Pro
TouchPal version 5.x
- This one isn't in the market (play store?). If you get that one you'll get a compact qwerty mode but no T9. The website to get version 5 is all in chinese, but it's not too hard to find the download link and the english mode works fine. If you want to swipe with this keyboard you have to go into the settings and download an addon or something to make it work. Here's the page to download version 5:
??????-??????? ?????? ?????? (<----shows up as question marks on my pc, but was still clickable for me)
Just click on the box under the android guy. Works fine if you do it from your android browser.
- I haven't tried this one but I see that you can switch to the T9 layout.
- Also haven't tried, but looks like it might have that layout as well.
- Not free and haven't tried it. Same idea it looks like though.
I'm sure there are more out there, but these are the ones I currently have installed and are aware of or found in a quick search. I hope I was helpful!
By the way, linked above is an example of what I think Slayer is looking for in the layout of the keyboard. Hopefully this is right and some other suggestions can be thrown in here.