Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Prevail

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree4Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #51 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
trenchkato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 507
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 54
Thanked 126 Times in 76 Posts
Default

According to android central its coming may 31 for 299

http://m.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-design-4g-coming-boost-mobile?utm_source=ac&utm_medium=twitter

EDIT: I'M late

trenchkato is offline  
Last edited by trenchkato; May 8th, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trenchkato For This Useful Post:
Wilalva11 (May 8th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old May 8th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #52 (permalink)
ITJ
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 99
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Default

According to this, it comes out May 31st with a speed throttle of 256kbs after 2.5GB
HTC Evo Design 4G | Boost Mobile[/QUOTE]

throttling is the worst...clearwire is the owner of the wimaxx network, and they are simply moving sprint to LTE and pushing the wimaxx to prepay, boost and virgin.. $300 isn't the best but not the worst, the phone is $400 to upgrade on sprint.
i'll just wait for a sweet rom before i buy it!!
ITJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #53 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 32
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2 OS 4.1.2 Rooted
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default BOOST 4g Evo Finally 4g

Well I subscribe on Facebook that the Evo for boost mobile is ready for sale on May 31st with a price of $299. I am ready to graduate the prevail to the next level. YES shrinkage will be available...

Can't wait putting my phone on craigslist now to see who wants this one.. Takes a while to sell these phones. I have noticed rooted ones sell quick. Last one listed for 90 and sold same day so my hopes are high...
werewolves69 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to werewolves69 For This Useful Post:
MrOblige (May 10th, 2012)
Old May 9th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #54 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Rarewolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CaliFornia, Azusa
Posts: 1,107
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail Sisters Samsung Ultra Samsung Galaxy S Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 196
Thanked 139 Times in 104 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Rarewolf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolves69 View Post
Well I subscribe on Facebook that the Evo for boost mobile is ready for sale on May 31st with a price of $299. I am ready to graduate the prevail to the next level. YES shrinkage will be available...

Can't wait putting my phone on craigslist now to see who wants this one.. Takes a while to sell these phones. I have noticed rooted ones sell quick. Last one listed for 90 and sold same day so my hopes are high...
should wait for the second wave man..
and your titles on backward...
and to be honest... i agree with the other guys..
the prevail has too much to leave behind... and also
have you been checking the EVOs forum? so you could familiarize yourself to it?
__________________
And Now im Proud Of Cyber Green
themes For CTMod
Rarewolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #55 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,240
 
Device(s): SGS2- GB08, Samsung Prevail- CTMod 3.75
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 153
Thanked 278 Times in 167 Posts
Default

I will prolly wait for 2nd wave of phones also.

I kinda want a pullout keyboard.



Also I am wondering if enuff peeps jump to 4g (Wimax or LTE Sprint), will our CDMA run smoother ...
kevincott is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #56 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 33
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

It doesn't come stock. Bummer
Hellmouth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #57 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 33
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I also find interesting that it'll have mobile hotspot for an extra $10 a month
Hellmouth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #58 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: PA/NJ Usa
Posts: 913
 
Device(s): Evo 3d. Evo 4g. Galaxy SII. Nexus S 4g. Galaxy Prevail (the most loved), Galaxy S3
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 62
Thanked 344 Times in 211 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmouth View Post
I also find interesting that it'll have mobile hotspot for an extra $10 a month
Approximately 30 days after the device is released into the wild that extra charge for hotspot is going to be null and void. Someone is going to come along and root the device and then wifi tethering is going to be unlocked without paying the extra fee.

Just as it is on most devices now.
__________________
Mountain Dew makes me happy.
If I've helped you, a thank you would be cool.
kolosus is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kolosus For This Useful Post:
johnny424 (May 9th, 2012)
Old May 9th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #59 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 225
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 101 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincott View Post
Also I am wondering if enuff peeps jump to 4g (Wimax or LTE Sprint), will our CDMA run smoother ...
Hope so lol. I can't afford to upgrade my phone right now, or for a while for that matter. I was lucky to get the prevail.
Necrotoxin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #60 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 532
 
Device(s): Galaxy Prevail: GB EJ06 Odin Root, CWM5, with Blood and Kouma's flavor of the week. Boost Galaxy S2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 258
Thanked 95 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosus View Post
Approximately 30 days after the device is released into the wild that extra charge for hotspot is going to be null and void. Someone is going to come along and root the device and then wifi tethering is going to be unlocked without paying the extra fee.

Just as it is on most devices now.
And ju know dis!!!!!
76ford90lx is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 10th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #61 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
tube517's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,153
 
Device(s): Samsung GTab 3 7.0,Samsung GNote2 (i317),EVO 4G, Toshiba Thrive, Galaxy Note LTE,EVO Shift
Carrier: T-Mobile,Google Voice

Thanks: 1,826
Thanked 834 Times in 546 Posts
Default

Try and keep the prevail as a backup if you do the upgrade. Just a suggestion since phones break, get stolen, lost etc . Cheaper than any insurance plan
__________________
Samsung Tab 3 (7 in) • Deletrious ROM V1.6 /TOSHIBA Thrive • Pio's Team Baked BlackBean ROM 4.1.2/Samsung Galaxy Note2 • Temasek v37 kitkat (4.4.2)/HTC EVO 4G • Decks Reloaded ROM/EVO Shift• JellyBelly ROM/Samsung Galaxy Note I (i717)•CM11 (4.4.2 kitkat) /Samsung Galaxy S3 •DanKang 4.3.1 ROM
tube517 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #62 (permalink)
Member
 
schr9091's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shickshinny,PA
Posts: 338
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail stock rooted
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 77
Thanked 36 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Boost Mobile to offer the HTC EVO Design 4G starting May 31 | Mobile Bloom News
schr9091 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schr9091 For This Useful Post:
tube517 (May 11th, 2012)
Old May 11th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #63 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
tube517's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,153
 
Device(s): Samsung GTab 3 7.0,Samsung GNote2 (i317),EVO 4G, Toshiba Thrive, Galaxy Note LTE,EVO Shift
Carrier: T-Mobile,Google Voice

Thanks: 1,826
Thanked 834 Times in 546 Posts
Default

Quote:
The most important and glaring difference is that the version of the handset that will be released by the wireless provider on May 31 will already have Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich for its default operating system


Double good news!
tube517 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 02:33 AM   #64 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 32
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2 OS 4.1.2 Rooted
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I don't know yet the prevail is nice but the higher end ones are much better. To upgrade to one of them seems to be a waste if there is an immediate jump to the next level.. IMHO the prevail is missing out on alot of what android has to offer

Streaming Netflix is a lag attack, crackle is not supports, there is no storage space internally, believe me when I rooted the phone with CM7 it runs smoother, don't have to restart as much, I am thinking of the things I enjoy doing with my phone.

I love the prevail, it was my first Android but a top boost 3g phone is 279 and a new 4g is 299 I may just jump in and then make that my toy for about a year..
werewolves69 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 02:38 AM   #65 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
wetbiker7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southern California
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,662
 
Device(s): SamsungGalaxy S3, LG Marquee, Asus TF300T 32GB w/ dock, SamsungGalaxy Prevail
Carrier: Boost

Thanks: 1,669
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,823 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolves69 View Post
I don't know yet the prevail is nice but the higher end ones are much better. To upgrade to one of them seems to be a waste if there is an immediate jump to the next level.. IMHO the prevail is missing out on alot of what android has to offer

Streaming Netflix is a lag attack, crackle is not supports, there is no storage space internally, believe me when I rooted the phone with CM7 it runs smoother, don't have to restart as much, I am thinking of the things I enjoy doing with my phone.

I love the prevail, it was my first Android but a top boost 3g phone is 279 and a new 4g is 299 I may just jump in and then make that my toy for about a year..

An app that will help you reboot quicker is Faster Reboot from the Market. It reboots the main apps without actually rebooting the entire phone. I use the Pro version and like it a lot.
__________________
Is there a reason you're not rooted yet??
Do the right thing and hit THANKS!
wetbiker7 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wetbiker7 For This Useful Post:
cwhatever (May 13th, 2012)
Old May 12th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #66 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,240
 
Device(s): SGS2- GB08, Samsung Prevail- CTMod 3.75
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 153
Thanked 278 Times in 167 Posts
Default

It looks like 2.5gig will be the throttle threshold.


Later this year, in order to provide the best value and customer experience, Boost Mobile will move to reduce 3G/4G data speeds to 3G speeds of 256kbps when a customer’s data usage exceeds 2.5GB in a month. Customers who go over the 2.5GB threshold may experience slower page loads, file downloads and streaming media. Data speeds will restore to full 3G/4G speeds when a customer’s new monthly plan begins

http://newsroom.boostmobile.com/press-release/products-offers/boost-mobile-pairs-speed-4g-and-android-monthly-unlimited-low-40-htc-e
kevincott is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #67 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 32
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2 OS 4.1.2 Rooted
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Thanks wetbiker7 I will try it out.
werewolves69 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #68 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: U.S.A
Posts: 60
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Default

I'm thinking about getting this phone.

But is there any cons that can be pointed out other than the 2.5gb limit?
Dest1ny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #69 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,240
 
Device(s): SGS2- GB08, Samsung Prevail- CTMod 3.75
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 153
Thanked 278 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dest1ny View Post
I'm thinking about getting this phone.

But is there any cons that can be pointed out other than the 2.5gb limit?

If you have the grandfathered Prevail $50-35 shrinkage, you will have to pay an extra $5 a month after upgrade.
kevincott is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #70 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
wetbiker7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southern California
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,662
 
Device(s): SamsungGalaxy S3, LG Marquee, Asus TF300T 32GB w/ dock, SamsungGalaxy Prevail
Carrier: Boost

Thanks: 1,669
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,823 Posts
Default

I just got an email from Radio Shack letting me know that I could go ahead and pre-order an Evo.
wetbiker7 is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 13th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #71 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: U.S.A
Posts: 60
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincott View Post
If you have the grandfathered Prevail $50-35 shrinkage, you will have to pay an extra $5 a month after upgrade.
well I am on the $40 a month, and only 2 payments away for $35. I am on the grandfathered plan. I wouldn't mind paying the extra $5 thou.
Dest1ny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #72 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: PA/NJ Usa
Posts: 913
 
Device(s): Evo 3d. Evo 4g. Galaxy SII. Nexus S 4g. Galaxy Prevail (the most loved), Galaxy S3
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 62
Thanked 344 Times in 211 Posts
Default

Dest1ny. I was wondering if you upgrade to the $55 plan... what if you switch back to a Prevail. Will you be sent back to $50 or will they keep you on $55?

Dont get me wrong. I love their plans no matter what they charge me. I'm one payment away from $35 and if my plan goes up to $40 permanently it will not be such an issue for me... but just curious. I like the phone and the unibody approach that HTC has taken with its recent phones appeal to me... but I'm leery of upgrading knowing that I'll never see 4g, or at the least, the few times I make my way into Manhattan.
kolosus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #73 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,240
 
Device(s): SGS2- GB08, Samsung Prevail- CTMod 3.75
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 153
Thanked 278 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosus View Post
Dest1ny. I was wondering if you upgrade to the $55 plan... what if you switch back to a Prevail. Will you be sent back to $50 or will they keep you on $55?

Dont get me wrong. I love their plans no matter what they charge me. I'm one payment away from $35 and if my plan goes up to $40 permanently it will not be such an issue for me... but just curious. I like the phone and the unibody approach that HTC has taken with its recent phones appeal to me... but I'm leery of upgrading knowing that I'll never see 4g, or at the least, the few times I make my way into Manhattan.

Im not a gambling man, but once you upgrade no return to $35 shrinkage.

Boost wants to make money and thought about not grandfathering original Prevail owners.
kevincott is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #74 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 100
 
Device(s): Galaxy Prevail, Galaxy s2
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 15
Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincott View Post
It looks like 2.5gig will be the throttle threshold.


Later this year, in order to provide the best value and customer experience, Boost Mobile will move to reduce 3G/4G data speeds to 3G speeds of 256kbps when a customer’s data usage exceeds 2.5GB in a month. Customers who go over the 2.5GB threshold may experience slower page loads, file downloads and streaming media. Data speeds will restore to full 3G/4G speeds when a customer’s new monthly plan begins

http://newsroom.boostmobile.com/press-release/products-offers/boost-mobile-pairs-speed-4g-and-android-monthly-unlimited-low-40-htc-e
Be nice if I ever saw 3g speeds above their planned reduced speed.
redneckrebel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #75 (permalink)
Member
 
Topken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 206
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrebel View Post
Be nice if I ever saw 3g speeds above their planned reduced speed.
Agreed there so for me 4g is useless and I dont use my phone for anything beyond calling, texting, and music player. So I wont be upgrading to the HTC evo unless they do manage to get 4g in my area and my phone ends up breaking then I may consider upgrading to this.
Topken is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #76 (permalink)
Member
 
VoltronMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Milwaukee
Gender: Male
Posts: 296
 
Device(s): LG Optimus F7 (stock); Samsung Prevail w/ Megatron Rom (retired) ; Google Nexus 7 (stock) ; Sony Tab
Carrier: Boost

Thanks: 61
Thanked 77 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Even though its gonna be 4g, I wanna see what speeds people are really getting. A friend of mine has a Sprint 3g phone and he gets no lower than 1.5mb/s and Ill get about 250-450kb/s........with our phones in the same room. But that should be no shocker to anyone. We as Boost customers get less speed compared to actual Sprint customers. So lets see what the Boost 4g can really do.

Another thing is I really like Samsung phones. If/when I make the switch, Id like another Sammy. Theres already been some reports that even the iPhone is gonna make its way to Boost by the end of the year. If thats true, Im sure a Samsung 4g phone will be out soon.

Last factor is I wanna see where people like wetbiker, Kouma, and Bloodawn go. They have been so awesome with help and creating things for the Prevail, Id like to follow them to the next project
__________________
Send Me a Friend Request on XB360 and XBone! Gamertag - VoltronMaximus
VoltronMaximus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #77 (permalink)
Member
 
J6Remy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 345
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 4-CM10 Nexus 7 2nd Gen Verizon Ellipsis Too many to list :p
Carrier: Trisomy 21

Thanks: 128
Thanked 172 Times in 85 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltronMaximus View Post
Even though its gonna be 4g, I wanna see what speeds people are really getting. A friend of mine has a Sprint 3g phone and he gets no lower than 1.5mb/s and Ill get about 250-450kb/s........with our phones in the same room. But that should be no shocker to anyone. We as Boost customers get less speed compared to actual Sprint customers. So lets see what the Boost 4g can really do.

Another thing is I really like Samsung phones. If/when I make the switch, Id like another Sammy. Theres already been some reports that even the iPhone is gonna make its way to Boost by the end of the year. If thats true, Im sure a Samsung 4g phone will be out soon.

Last factor is I wanna see where people like wetbiker, Kouma, and Bloodawn go. They have been so awesome with help and creating things for the Prevail, Id like to follow them to the next project
I'm planning on seeing what people think about the Evo, before I plan to make the switch. regardless of what phone I get, since the Prevail is my 1st android, I will always keep it in reach! This community is what kept me here.
__________________
Are you familiar with the "Poppa Bull, Baby Bull" story?
Like what I do? Donate.
J6Remy is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #78 (permalink)
Member
 
SpCowboy2842's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The mountains of N.C.
Gender: Male
Posts: 289
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy 3, Samsung Prevail
Carrier: Sprint, Boost

Thanks: 42
Thanked 55 Times in 43 Posts
Default

As much as I'd love to get an Evo for Boost, my way of thinking is that almost $300 is a little too high for a prepaid phone with essentially no guarantees of better service than what I'm already getting. The Sprint 4g is still being rolled out across the country and while my area around Asheville picked it up last Summer, there are still some major dead spots everywhere else.
SpCowboy2842 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:04 AM   #79 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
wetbiker7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southern California
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,662
 
Device(s): SamsungGalaxy S3, LG Marquee, Asus TF300T 32GB w/ dock, SamsungGalaxy Prevail
Carrier: Boost

Thanks: 1,669
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,823 Posts
Default

Similar threads merge. Both HTC Evo threads have been merged.
wetbiker7 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #80 (permalink)
Member
 
schr9091's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shickshinny,PA
Posts: 338
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail stock rooted
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 77
Thanked 36 Times in 33 Posts
Default

if im going to get an evo i think i would buy the dual core one for the same money just have to switch to virgin unless it can somehow work on boost
schr9091 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #81 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 532
 
Device(s): Galaxy Prevail: GB EJ06 Odin Root, CWM5, with Blood and Kouma's flavor of the week. Boost Galaxy S2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 258
Thanked 95 Times in 67 Posts
Default

If I.upgrade to the evo what would it take to switch my service back to.the prevail. Ism curious about the evo but I would NEVER get rid of the prevail!!!!! Say I start having seizures without my prevail.... what do I have to do if I want to ditch the evo and go back to the prevail?
76ford90lx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #82 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: PA/NJ Usa
Posts: 913
 
Device(s): Evo 3d. Evo 4g. Galaxy SII. Nexus S 4g. Galaxy Prevail (the most loved), Galaxy S3
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 62
Thanked 344 Times in 211 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ford90lx View Post
If I.upgrade to the evo what would it take to switch my service back to.the prevail. Ism curious about the evo but I would NEVER get rid of the prevail!!!!! Say I start having seizures without my prevail.... what do I have to do if I want to ditch the evo and go back to the prevail?
Once you upgrade to the evo you'll go on the $55 android plan.

Switching back and forth to and from the Prevail is a synch. You can do it yourself within minutes and never have to talk to a Customer service rep.

Log into your Boost account. You'll notice a line of options running across right above your name and other information. Click on "update handset". Type in the dec meid of your device and click through to activate it. On the last page it'll give you the programming instructions for the phone. You only need to program the phone one time when you activate it the first time, if you called in and customer service walked you through the activation process you'll never have to do the programming again.

Just make sure you have both phones off during the switching over process and turn on the right device when you're done. Do not do this in the middle of the night as sometimes they'll block the switching over process completely, other times you'll have a very long time to get data on the device (might take 12 hours or more). If you do it during the day the swap over is usually smooth and the change over is immediate... but data might take a while to switch over. I've never had it go over 30 min... but all bets are off after midnight.

One thing you have to be careful of. If you're on the $50 grandfathered Prevail plan and you switch over to the [insert different android phone here] then your price plan will change and with it your billing cycle. You'll have to pay your bill then to have your phone active and you will not get credit for unused days if you're doing it online. If you call in and do it you'll probably get credit for unused days but they might try to charge you $10 reactivation fee. This will also screw up your shrinkage status and your first payment on the new billing cycle will not be counted as an "on time" payment.

Of corse the above doesn't apply if you're switching from a non-grandfathered $55 plan to another.

The part that I'm not sure of is if you move up from a grandfathered plan to higher price plan and move back to the Prevail if you lose your grandfather status. I'm sure someone will be along and fill us in on how that works. I do know that if you switch from a grandfathered Prevail to a non smartphone and back your grandfather status is left intact.

I usually save the dec meid's of both devices (clearly labeled) in a text file on my desktop for faster switching. I do not want to have to read the numbers more than once...

Good luck.
kolosus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #83 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 532
 
Device(s): Galaxy Prevail: GB EJ06 Odin Root, CWM5, with Blood and Kouma's flavor of the week. Boost Galaxy S2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 258
Thanked 95 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Wow, that's a lot of good info. Thanks!!!

I definitely realize I would go up $5 as I am on the grandfathered plan but this worries me if I am reading it correctly.

" This will also screw up your shrinkage status and your first payment on the new billing cycle will not becounted as an "on time" payment."

If my bill is always paid and the service is never shut off then why on earth would I lose my shrinkage status for not having a "on time payment" that makes no sense at all. I should kick around the idea at the boost store by my house. They know me well and see me at least once a month for years. I'm sure they would show me some love but I fully realize that they wouldn't be able to break all the rules.for me. If I could get the Evo and have the freedom to go back to the prevail when I want and know that I would only bottom out at $40 instead of $35 then I would be cool with that.I.just love my prevail and all that blood and Kouma has down to it.... it would be real hard to give it up. Its just that I would kill for a bigger screen and keyboard. I live this phone and I really prefer Samsung. If I could just water this little phone and let it grow a little bit in size without changing anything else then I would be one hell of a happy camper I would even love the zte warp but I just hear lots of bad things with it crashing and rebooting. My cousin in law has one and she has the same problems. I keep begging her to let me root it and see if the phone does better and performs more smoothly
76ford90lx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #84 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
wetbiker7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southern California
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,662
 
Device(s): SamsungGalaxy S3, LG Marquee, Asus TF300T 32GB w/ dock, SamsungGalaxy Prevail
Carrier: Boost

Thanks: 1,669
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,823 Posts
Default

I heard of several people complaining and Boost let them keep their $50 a month plan when upgrading. I guess that it just depends on the Rep though.
wetbiker7 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #85 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: PA/NJ Usa
Posts: 913
 
Device(s): Evo 3d. Evo 4g. Galaxy SII. Nexus S 4g. Galaxy Prevail (the most loved), Galaxy S3
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 62
Thanked 344 Times in 211 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ford90lx View Post
I definitely realize I would go up $5 as I am on the grandfathered plan but this worries me if I am reading it correctly.
Sorry for my misleading post. What I meant was that you do not completely lose your shrinkage status. What you have under your belt is there to stay. They'll not take that away.

But your first payment on your new plan will not be counted towards shrinkage. Meaning when you start your new plan if you had 16 on time payments that will not be incremented by one. You'll still have the 16.

As wetbiker mentioned some customers were allowed to keep their $50 plan if they activated their plan through a rep. But that's not everyone and that's not every rep. You might have to try a few reps if that's what you're trying to do.

Call in. Try to upgrade your phone. They tell you that you'll have to go up to $55. You tell them no. They might let you they might not. If they do then all is fine and grand. If they don't then do not get verbal with them... they're after all just following directions. Rinse, repeat as necessary.
kolosus is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kolosus For This Useful Post:
76ford90lx (May 19th, 2012)
Old May 19th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #86 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 532
 
Device(s): Galaxy Prevail: GB EJ06 Odin Root, CWM5, with Blood and Kouma's flavor of the week. Boost Galaxy S2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 258
Thanked 95 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosus View Post
Sorry for my misleading post. What I meant was that you do not completely lose your shrinkage status. What you have under your belt is there to stay. They'll not take that away.

But your first payment on your new plan will not be counted towards shrinkage. Meaning when you start your new plan if you had 16 on time payments that will not be incremented by one. You'll still have the 16.

As wetbiker mentioned some customers were allowed to keep their $50 plan if they activated their plan through a rep. But that's not everyone and that's not every rep. You might have to try a few reps if that's what you're trying to do.

Call in. Try to upgrade your phone. They tell you that you'll have to go up to $55. You tell them no. They might let you they might not. If they do then all is fine and grand. If they don't then do not get verbal with them... they're after all just following directions. Rinse, repeat as necessary.

OK, sweet! I took.it as... if I'm up for a shrinkage in two more months that I would lose that shrinkage and have to start over and make 6 more ontime payments to get it again.
76ford90lx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 03:53 AM   #87 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 37
 
Device(s): HTC Evo Design 4g ( Boost Mobile )
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchkato View Post
If this phone is more than 299... im going for the gsm galaxy nexus for 399... I still have my fingers crossed
How are you going to hold out for a nexus anyway when it won't run on boost carrier? lol You will be holding out indefinately then or use tmobile or att because the unlocked no contract nexus phones will NOT run on boost/sprint/virgin network, Also the phone isnt' that great anyway enless ya have it plugged in 24 hrs a day the thing eats battery like crazy even using a app such as juicedefender on it.
Tw3ak is offline  
Last edited by Tw3ak; May 20th, 2012 at 03:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 04:09 AM   #88 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
wetbiker7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southern California
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,662
 
Device(s): SamsungGalaxy S3, LG Marquee, Asus TF300T 32GB w/ dock, SamsungGalaxy Prevail
Carrier: Boost

Thanks: 1,669
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,823 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw3ak View Post
How are you going to hold out for a nexus anyway when it won't run on boost carrier? lol You will be holding out indefinately then or use tmobile or att because the unlocked no contract nexus phones will NOT run on boost/sprint/virgin network, Also the phone isnt' that great anyway enless ya have it plugged in 24 hrs a day the thing eats battery like crazy even using a app such as juicedefender on it.
No offense but you're talking to one of the DEVS around here. I'm sure he knows exactly what he's talking about. You'd be surprised what Sprint phones can be converted to Boost.
wetbiker7 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 04:32 AM   #89 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 37
 
Device(s): HTC Evo Design 4g ( Boost Mobile )
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetbiker7 View Post
No offense but you're talking to one of the DEVS around here. I'm sure he knows exactly what he's talking about. You'd be surprised what Sprint phones can be converted to Boost.
The nexus isn't a sprint phone lol it is a verizon phone and i'm sure it "can" be forced on boost any phone pretty much can be forced on boost mobile but doesn't mean it works very well either even the evo's being discussed in this thread flashed to boost mobile most of the time don't work as intended.

Might as well just wait for the real ones may 31st that work right If i'm going to pay 300 bucks for a phone i damn sure want it to work 100% as intended not half assed.
Tw3ak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #90 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 151
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 129
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw3ak View Post
The nexus isn't a sprint phone lol ...
Sprint has the nexus too
http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_details.jsp?ensembleId=SPHL700KIT&flow=AAL&i sDeeplinked=true
haris163 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to haris163 For This Useful Post:
wetbiker7 (May 20th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old May 20th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #91 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
wetbiker7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southern California
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,662
 
Device(s): SamsungGalaxy S3, LG Marquee, Asus TF300T 32GB w/ dock, SamsungGalaxy Prevail
Carrier: Boost

Thanks: 1,669
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,823 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw3ak View Post
The nexus isn't a sprint phone lol it is a verizon phone and i'm sure it "can" be forced on boost any phone pretty much can be forced on boost mobile but doesn't mean it works very well either even the evo's being discussed in this thread flashed to boost mobile most of the time don't work as intended.


Might as well just wait for the real ones may 31st that work right If i'm going to pay 300 bucks for a phone i damn sure want it to work 100% as intended not half assed.
Actually, you can't force just about any phone on to Boost. I was referring to Sprint phones only. As for the Evo, I know several people that are running an Evo that has been converted and they run perfectly. You just need to know what you're doing is all. lol

I also agree with your comment about the waiting on the Evo. At the time my friends converted theirs the Evo hadn't even been mentioned as being added to the Boost line-up. Buying a Boost Evo is the way to go but a lot of people don't have the extra $100+ to spend. A used Sprint Evo only cost around $100-$150 and then a donor phone only cost about $25-30. I guess it just depends on the amount of money that you have to spend.

As haris stated below, Sprint has the Nexus.

Thanks for posting the link, haris.
wetbiker7 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #92 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 532
 
Device(s): Galaxy Prevail: GB EJ06 Odin Root, CWM5, with Blood and Kouma's flavor of the week. Boost Galaxy S2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 258
Thanked 95 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Not supported, wont work, never meant to do that, can't be done, problems, issues, they wont let you. Yada yada........ actually someone around here already has a nexus on boost. Just because to your knowledge it can't be done doesn't mean that it really can't be done. It just means that your knowledge has not reached the level of the next Guy that is already doing what you say can't be done.







Insert foot in mouth....
76ford90lx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 04:15 AM   #93 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 37
 
Device(s): HTC Evo Design 4g ( Boost Mobile )
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ford90lx View Post
Not supported, wont work, never meant to do that, can't be done, problems, issues, they wont let you. Yada yada........ actually someone around here already has a nexus on boost. Just because to your knowledge it can't be done doesn't mean that it really can't be done. It just means that your knowledge has not reached the level of the next Guy that is already doing what you say can't be done.


Insert foot in mouth....
lol i don't care if some one has it done here or not i know people that have done it as well i didn't say it "can't be done" but your just ruining the full potential of the nexus is what i'm saying flashing it to boost. If you want to pay $300+ for a phone and want to dummy it down flashing it and lose the full power of the phones potential be my guest, My point was no boost converted nexus will ever perform like it is intended by running on verizons 4gLTE.

I for 1 would never buy a high end phone like that and put it on boost 3g network, Why not get a iphone 4gs and flash it to boost to ? I know people that have done that also and say the phone is garbage without att or verizons network to back it up lol

Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be.

Now when the 4g comes out for boost it "may" be a different story doing it on high end phones if you can even get the phone on the 4g network without a key, But EVEN THEN it still wouldn't be true 4g as it is a outdated version of it that sprint is getting rid of to replace with LTE in the first place.

So again i stand by my statement that it is dumb to flash a high end phone to boost lol If you can offord to burn 300+ on a phone you can offord a real network to utilize it. People use boost because it is cheap and the phones don't cost you a arm and a leg and are offordable, Nobody runs out to buy the most expensive and fastest phone on the market then say hmmm i'm gonna flash it to use boost so the phone becomes a high priced paperweight
Tw3ak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 10:06 PM   #94 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 532
 
Device(s): Galaxy Prevail: GB EJ06 Odin Root, CWM5, with Blood and Kouma's flavor of the week. Boost Galaxy S2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 258
Thanked 95 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw3ak View Post
How are you going to hold out for a nexus anyway when it won't run on boost carrier? lol You will be holding out indefinately then or use tmobile or att because the unlocked no contract nexus phones will NOT run on boost/sprint/virgin network, Also the phone isnt' that great anyway enless ya have it plugged in 24 hrs a day the thing eats battery like crazy even using a app such as juicedefender on it.
OK, I stand corrected. You are right, you never did say "it can't be done"

You said
"How are you going to hold out for a nexus anyway when it wont run on boost carrier?"
76ford90lx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:42 AM   #95 (permalink)
Après moi, le déluge
 
Lordvincent 90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: grand rapids,mi
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,421
 
Device(s): Galaxy Prevail, Galaxy Prevail II, Kyocera Hydro, Nexus 7 (Grouper), Galaxy rush, Htc One SV
Carrier: of the deadly t-virus

Thanks: 1,445
Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,529 Posts
Default

http://m.intomobile.com/2012/03/21/fcc-proposals-may-make-700-mhz-4g-lte-interoperable-dish-may-also-allowed-use-their-spectrum/

the monopoly on that frequency won't last forever... ...

Just saying
__________________
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Lordvincent 90 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #96 (permalink)
New Member
 
Remle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail CM7 With Kato Kernel
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Can't wait to upgrade to 4g
Remle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:31 PM   #97 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: PA/NJ Usa
Posts: 913
 
Device(s): Evo 3d. Evo 4g. Galaxy SII. Nexus S 4g. Galaxy Prevail (the most loved), Galaxy S3
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 62
Thanked 344 Times in 211 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remle View Post
Can't wait to upgrade to 4g
Just making sure that you live in Idaho. As far as I can tell there's no 4g antennas there. So even if you have a 4g phone you wont be getting 4g. That is unless I'm mistaken (has happened before. I know shocking!) or you travel and your travel area has 4g coverage.

Having a 4g phone without 4g antennas would be like having a fancy hi-def tv while being blind!
kolosus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 03:30 PM   #98 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 532
 
Device(s): Galaxy Prevail: GB EJ06 Odin Root, CWM5, with Blood and Kouma's flavor of the week. Boost Galaxy S2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 258
Thanked 95 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosus View Post
Just making sure that you live in Idaho. As far as I can tell there's no 4g antennas there. So even if you have a 4g phone you wont be getting 4g. That is unless I'm mistaken (has happened before. I know shocking!) or you travel and your travel area has 4g coverage.

Having a 4g phone without 4g antennas would be like having a fancy hi-def tv while being blind!
Very true. Most peope neve realize this until after they run out and buy a 4G phone.

But now Im curious. What is the coverage area for the Boost 4G? Do we have the same as Sprint? Where is a map with the coverage area?

Im sure a lot of people could benifit by knowing what we have (as boost customers) and seeing our 3G and 4G coverage areas
76ford90lx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 04:50 PM   #99 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: U.S.A
Posts: 60
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Default

I have very good 4g coverage in my area according to the coverage map and I'll probably be getting it pretty soon.
Dest1ny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:01 PM   #100 (permalink)
Member
 
VoltronMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Milwaukee
Gender: Male
Posts: 296
 
Device(s): LG Optimus F7 (stock); Samsung Prevail w/ Megatron Rom (retired) ; Google Nexus 7 (stock) ; Sony Tab
Carrier: Boost

Thanks: 61
Thanked 77 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Wasnt this supposed to come out today? Did any here get it? If so, post some results, like actual download speeds with 4g and some Antutu benchmark scores.
VoltronMaximus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy Prevail
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Samsung Galaxy Prevail is an entry level device for Boost Mobile. Unlike some of it's Galaxy S cousins, you wont find some of the higher end "Galaxy S" features and it doesn't have the familiar TouchWhiz interface seen on so m... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Prevail
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.