Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nardholio

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Spare battery?

I cannot find a spare battery or charger to save my life for this phone. Any suggestions?

Advertisements
kaczman is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 1st, 2012, 05:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
 
Device(s): Galaxy S Relay 4G, Captivate Glide, HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaczman View Post
I cannot find a spare battery or charger to save my life for this phone. Any suggestions?
The Galaxy S III battery looks like it might the same size, and 300 extra mah to boot. Amazon.com: Samsung ETC-CP1G6LGSTA Galaxy S III Battery Charging System (2100mA) NFC - Charger - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

I've been meaning to stop by a phone store to see if it actually would fit.
nardholio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nardholio View Post
The Galaxy S III battery looks like it might the same size, and 300 extra mah to boot. Amazon.com: Samsung ETC-CP1G6LGSTA Galaxy S III Battery Charging System (2100mA) NFC - Charger - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

I've been meaning to stop by a phone store to see if it actually would fit.
My gf has the GS3 and her battery doesn't fit in the Relay since it's a completely different size. Maybe the Blaze battery fits?
jjbz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Nope, appears that blaze is 3.7 V and our battery is 3.8V, right off the rip. Any other ideas?
kaczman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I've been on the phone nearly every day with Samsung and tmobile trying to figure this out --- no one seems to know anything -- so I am now drawing my own conclusion:
Since the phone came out 14 days ago, they haven't even shipped the accessories, such as replacement batteries or backings or anything - because this is still under the 'buyers remorse' period. After tomorrow, the buyers remorse period will be over and then they will be able to accept 'warranty' requests -- at which time, batteries and other accessories should start appearing.

Quote me all you want, but this is just my opinion and very well could be mistaken.
We'll find out soon, and in the mean time, like me, carry a charger with you everywhere, because this phone's battery life just melts away.
enchoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 03:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
 
Device(s): Galaxy S Relay 4G, Captivate Glide, HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enchoy View Post
I've been on the phone nearly every day with Samsung and tmobile trying to figure this out --- no one seems to know anything -- so I am now drawing my own conclusion:
Since the phone came out 14 days ago, they haven't even shipped the accessories, such as replacement batteries or backings or anything - because this is still under the 'buyers remorse' period. After tomorrow, the buyers remorse period will be over and then they will be able to accept 'warranty' requests -- at which time, batteries and other accessories should start appearing.

Quote me all you want, but this is just my opinion and very well could be mistaken.
We'll find out soon, and in the mean time, like me, carry a charger with you everywhere, because this phone's battery life just melts away.
Are you rooted? Did you remove "bloat"? I went back to complete stock (with root) and my battery life came back. There's something baked into the system that keeps the phone awake when the screen is off if you remove it. I haven't really had time to track down what it is, but I'm thinking it's SysScope.apk or something to do with wifi calling. Battery life is excellent on stock.
wuziq likes this.
nardholio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nardholio View Post
Are you rooted? Did you remove "bloat"? I went back to complete stock (with root) and my battery life came back. There's something baked into the system that keeps the phone awake when the screen is off if you remove it. I haven't really had time to track down what it is, but I'm thinking it's SysScope.apk or something to do with wifi calling. Battery life is excellent on stock.

I have not rooted yet, no. Been too busy running in and out of town, and honestly I haven't rooted since my G1 days.


When you say 'stock' with root, I'm confused :-) What 'stock' image are you using that you have root on? I've always used the term 'stock' to define a non-rooted device...


I'm on phone calls, and 1000+ emails/day, plus heavy data usage (GPS, nav maps, etc) and my battery life lasts about 6 hours. Not the most 'excellent' for me, its about the same as my G2 - but on the G2 I was able to get a couple of extra batteries and I would just charge two at a time and carry them with me and swap them out.

Hoping to do that with this thing to, if they ever release the damn batteries
enchoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 05:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 18
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Not to get off topic, but seconding the "stock" question. Also, given the apparent interconnectedness of some of the bloat, what is and isn't problematice to remove or at least freeze?
mikeybot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 57
 
Device(s): Galaxy S Relay
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

This is a great thread. Maybe needs to be split in two.
1. When anyone finds a good source of spare batteries, please post. We all need at least one extra.
2. I would like to remove all the t-Mobile bloatware. The My Accounts app for example doesn't even work. I think I even read on the t-Mobile site it is not supported on this device. anyway, the password resets itself EVERY time on this and the web version of their site. Come on T-Mobile, you can't fix that?

It would be helpful to have a list of apps and files removed without consequence.

On a side note, was rooting difficult on the Relay?
Joe_PDA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 09:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 18
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_PDA View Post
On a side note, was rooting difficult on the Relay?
Agree on the splitting.
Rooting was MUCH easier that it was initially on the G1 and 2. There's links and I wrote a mini-guide in the "Lonely" thread.
mikeybot is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 3rd, 2012, 08:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybot View Post
Not to get off topic, but seconding the "stock" question. Also, given the apparent interconnectedness of some of the bloat, what is and isn't problematice to remove or at least freeze?
"Stock" usually refers to the ROM the phone is shipped with out-of-the-box. In this case (the Relay 4G), our "stock ROM" is Android 4.04 with Samsung's TouchWiz UI (T699UVLH1 build).

Rooting the "stock" ROM simply means we now have access and sufficient rights to edit system files.

Therefore, any "stock-based" ROMs will be based built off of Samsung's original T699UVLH1 build.

Android Open Source Project ("AOSP") is a term used to identify ROMs such as CyanogenMod and AOKP. CM does not base their work off of a manufacturer's original build. They build their own AOSP ROMs and port it for compatibility on many different devices.

Finally, "Stock Android" is a completely different term that refers to the Android OS without any carrier bloatware or manufacturer add-ons/UI (ala non-carrier Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, Nexus One). "Stock Android" is not necessarily rooted out of the box.

Hopefully this clears up any confusion. I know the word "stock" is thrown around a lot. It really depends on the context of the word's usage to determine it's intended meaning.
jjbz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
RazoE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 102
 
Device(s): Galaxy S Relay 4G, B&N 16 gig Nook color, MyTouch 4G Slide, MyTouch 3G Slide, G1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I recommend 2x Battery or Juice defenser or any other app that'll disable your mobile data connection when the screen is off. With 2x battery I am able to leave the phone on airplane mode over night and achieve battery life exceeding 20 hours in between charges.
RazoE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 57
 
Device(s): Galaxy S Relay
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Is the NFC chip built in to the battery? Meaning do we need a special battery made/supplied by Samsung to keep NFC?
Joe_PDA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 57
 
Device(s): Galaxy S Relay
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I just spoke to Samsung. The NFC chip is built in to the battery. I guess this means finding an aftermarket battery will be difficult. Also, they do not even sell the spare battery or have any idea when they will.
Joe_PDA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 18
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_PDA View Post
I just spoke to Samsung. The NFC chip is built in to the battery. I guess this means finding an aftermarket battery will be difficult. Also, they do not even sell the spare battery or have any idea when they will.
I'd be fine with having an extra battery even if it meant no NFC. I haven't even used it yet.
mikeybot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 57
 
Device(s): Galaxy S Relay
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I'm with you Mickey. I just need a spare battery. I can do without the NFC just to have the extra juice. Come on Samsung. Don't leave us out in the cold.
Joe_PDA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Samsung goes back to the roots by creating an device with a handy slide-out QWERTY keyboard. Many Android fans started using the OS with a physical keyboard, so we definitely have a sweet spot for them. The sad part is most of these devices are no ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.