Here is the solution that worked for me. You MUST remove ALL accounts except Google. Settings>Accounts & Sync>delete Facebook and other accounts DO NOT delete google.
1. Completely power off and power on your Galaxy-S phone.
2. Right after you pass the Galaxy-S and Verizon Wireless logo video, immediately tap on the home button extremely fast and repeatedly (at least 4-5 times per second). If the Emergency Call button pops up, click that every now and then (3-5 times) but keep tapping on the home button. During this process your phone may flash the password screen or keypad screen just a few times and your phone will seem to be lagging due to the tapping.
3. Keep tapping until you see your Android home buttons at the bottom. Voila, you’re in your phone! If the emergency keypad constantly shows up or if it shows the Google account screen constantly, you have failed. The success rate can be around 15-50% so keep trying until it works. (You may want to grab a young phone-savvy guy or girl to do it if your fingers are too slow)
4. Find and run the Settings App and go to Accounts & Sync.
5. Under Manage Accounts, remove all accounts except your Google account.
6. Press your power button off and on and enter your correct Google account information.
7. It will ask for a new security pattern. Enter it twice and you are done!
This solution worked for me. If it does for you, please leave a comment with your carrier and phone model to let others know that it worked!
The Gmail and password will then work to unlock the phone and that screen disappears. It will require you to set a new unlock pattern. Once unlocked, you can set the phone to not require a lock parttern. Go here
to find out how to bypass the too many attempt screen in order to get to your settings. Afterwards, you can go back and add your FB account again.