Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 (International)

New Forums: Nexus 6 | Nexus Player | Nexus 9
test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 8th, 2011, 01:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2 SC-02C
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via MSN to KeithAmbrose Send a message via Skype™ to KeithAmbrose
Confused How do you move apps from USB Storage to SD Storage.

Hi guys,

First off, hello, this is my first post on the forum. I hope to contribute here and help out where I can. Unfortunately I'm looking for some assistance today.

Here's the problem:

1) I tried to take a picture, then got a memory full error.

2) I checked the storage and my USB storage was pretty much full, my SD storage (32gb) was untouched.

3) Move apps to SD came up with "Failed to move app to SD: Not enough memory. (despite having nearly 30gb free)

4) Delete all apps I'm not using.

5) Reformat SD card.

6) Still can't move apps

7) Delete pictures

8) Now, "Move to SD storage" seems to work, but appears to be moving apps from the phone (device memory?) to USB storage, or if they are on USB storage to begin with they didn't move at all.

9) Check storage, still nothing on SD card, USB storage just about full

10) I start to cry lol

11) Here I am.


So as of now, my phone reads:

SD card: Total Space 29.71 GB Availible Space 29.08 GB

USB Storage: Total Space 11.50 GB Availible Space 174 mb

Device Memory: Availible Space 1.65 GB


TRDV: I want to move my apps and music to the external SD card but can't. Help?

Advertisements
KeithAmbrose is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 8th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,384
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2, iPad 3 Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 169 Times in 152 Posts
Default Memory problem

This is an earlier thread regarding the phone memory that might be useful.

Internal memory question

Your problem seems a little bit different though. Anyway, here is my suggestion.

1) Try to connect using the USB to the computer and explore your phone memory from there. For your information when you use Move to SD and the files are moved, you won't be able to see it using the stock file explorer. Its in a hidden folder called Android_secure which you should be able to browse through your computer.

2) You can transfer music files using the USB. Treat the phone like an external hard disk.

3) Not sure what you put in the USB storage but using up all is quite strange. Maybe you should transfer videos and pictures to the external microsd card as well.

4) If you are using the stock file explorer, long press on the folder should allow options for moving. Or while in the file explorer, press menu to have options appear.

Cheers

Oh ya, here's another thread I was in talking about the same issues;
[Q] Is there any way to move apps to internal USB storage?
Russell Ng is offline  
Last edited by Russell Ng; November 8th, 2011 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Added another relevant thread
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russell Ng For This Useful Post:
KeithAmbrose (November 9th, 2011)
Old November 9th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2 SC-02C
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via MSN to KeithAmbrose Send a message via Skype™ to KeithAmbrose
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ng View Post
This is an earlier thread regarding the phone memory that might be useful.

Internal memory question

Your problem seems a little bit different though. Anyway, here is my suggestion.

1) Try to connect using the USB to the computer and explore your phone memory from there. For your information when you use Move to SD and the files are moved, you won't be able to see it using the stock file explorer. Its in a hidden folder called Android_secure which you should be able to browse through your computer.

2) You can transfer music files using the USB. Treat the phone like an external hard disk.

3) Not sure what you put in the USB storage but using up all is quite strange. Maybe you should transfer videos and pictures to the external microsd card as well.

4) If you are using the stock file explorer, long press on the folder should allow options for moving. Or while in the file explorer, press menu to have options appear.

Cheers

Oh ya, here's another thread I was in talking about the same issues;
[Q] Is there any way to move apps to internal USB storage?
Thanks for your help. I did read that thread when I was looking for solutions, but it just confused me more to be honest.

I figured out how to move my music, pictures, videos and my gameloft games to the external SD via "my files". I assume the PC route would work the same. I moved everything I could over. The storage section now reads:

SD card: Total Space 29.71 GB Availible Space 20.84 GB

USB Storage: Total Space 11.50 GB Availible Space 8.35GB

Device Memory: Availible Space 1.64 GB

I guess my question now is, is it normal to have 3.15 GB tied up with basically nothing on the USB memory?

Also, I can't find my non-gameloft games / apps in "my files" / on my pc, so that might be part of the 3.15 GB. Is there a way to locate and then move them?
KeithAmbrose is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Check six!
 
Slug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Inverness, UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,139
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 2,776
Thanked 11,539 Times in 5,867 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Slug slugbrem@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAmbrose View Post
I can't find my non-gameloft games / apps in "my files" / on my pc, so that might be part of the 3.15 GB
With the handset connected as removable drive(s), use Explorer to view the internal (USB) storage. Is there a folder named ".android_secure" visible? If so then that's where the games and apps are located after being moved from device memory.
Slug is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,384
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2, iPad 3 Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 169 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAmbrose View Post
Thanks for your help. I did read that thread when I was looking for solutions, but it just confused me more to be honest.

I figured out how to move my music, pictures, videos and my gameloft games to the external SD via "my files". I assume the PC route would work the same. I moved everything I could over. The storage section now reads:

SD card: Total Space 29.71 GB Availible Space 20.84 GB

USB Storage: Total Space 11.50 GB Availible Space 8.35GB

Device Memory: Availible Space 1.64 GB

I guess my question now is, is it normal to have 3.15 GB tied up with basically nothing on the USB memory?

Also, I can't find my non-gameloft games / apps in "my files" / on my pc, so that might be part of the 3.15 GB. Is there a way to locate and then move them?
I am not sure what is left in your USB memory if you actually moved everything to the external SD. Like I said, most of the apps like Angry Birds when first installed is fully in the phone memory. If you did "Move to SD" it should move those to a hidden folder (which can be viewed using PC connection) called "Android_secure". This folder should appear either in the external SD (most cases), or the USB storage (some cases).

There could also be some other hidden folders in the USB storage which My Files application cannot view. You can try using Astro File Manager, or connect to PC for viewing.

That said, I don't like moving apps required data to external SD. It scares me that if anything goes wrong, the apps won't work. The biggest files I have in the USB storage is the gameloft data which is about 4GB. I am using 5GB of the USB storage so that seems about right if add up miscellaneous items.

So for you to have 3.15GB of nothing, is well not right. So I am guessing you just have some files that you can't see. There is also a folder Lost.dir which keeps damaged files. Try check if there is anything there.

Cheers
Russell Ng is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy S2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Galaxy S2 (sometimes known as the Galaxy S II) is the follow up to Samsung's widely successful Galaxy S lineup. This time, the Galaxy S2 raises all the stakes and Samsung has found a way to double almost every spec in a true, one of a kind ... Read More

Tags
error, sd card, usb storage


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 (International)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.