Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 (International)

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 20th, 2012, 07:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 57
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Default Smashed the screen on my S2 :(

This sucked! I without realising dropped my phone outside on some heavy gravel and stepped on itÖ I feel like such an idiot. Anyway, as a result I have shattered the screen. The phone still works, the touch screen, everything, just the glass is smashed. Iíve read that these only ship as one whole unit (about £125!!). Is it at all possible to replace JUST the glass like they do on iPhones?

Thanks a lot Ė also if there is a guide/place to buy?

Iím in the UK.

ytrebil is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 20th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,384
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2, iPad 3 Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 169 Times in 152 Posts
Default

I've read some where in the forum that you can replace the screen. Try searching for screen replacement. I am using my phone to browse so a little difficult to search it out for you.
Russell Ng is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 50
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Default

alternately if you have phone insurance through your bank account or separate you can claim on that and will prob be cheaper, I tend to find that a lost phone is replaced much much quicker than a repaired phone. but the phone must be lost as they insurance co will brick it so it cant be used again, not sure if they can tell its been turned on again and track it tho, im sure they can as you STILL get a signal through to the phone when they block the IMEI
scotty001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 57
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Thanks guys Ė Iíve had trouble finding people who have JUST replaced the glass and not the entire unit. However, I donít see why youíd need to pull the phone apartÖ Iíd have thought heating up the front screen with a hairdryer should be enough to pry it away and then use some 1mm thick 3M adhesive around the edge of the new one. It seems Iím missing something here though as surely people would have mentioned this alreadyÖ.
Looking at the phone I am guessing the ear piece and home screen button could become a problem!
ytrebil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
sntaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ayrshire, scotland
Posts: 1,477
 
Device(s): S2 Rooted, Nexus 7 (Shared So Stock) Galaxy W(Fiancees)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 479
Thanked 360 Times in 280 Posts
Default

quick search on my phone.....

Galaxy S2 screen replacement photo tutorial. - xda-developers

didnt watch the video cos am just in from working backshift n want bed but hopefully it will help :-)
sntaylor is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 03:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gearu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 766
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy SII Silver Edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 61
Thanked 85 Times in 57 Posts
Default

The Home screen button is held in by 2 rubber tab things that extend either side of it, and insert into the main body, it's not attached to the screen. The speaker grill is glued to the main bezel underbody.

I only replaced the screen on mine, I'd link the ebay listing/seller but they have no stock of anything for sale at the moment, weird, I've had the new screen for over 4 months and it's fine.

The seller was forceviewer_evo, and I don't know why, but there are many shops/sellers called forceviewer_something.
Gearu is offline  
Last edited by Gearu; March 21st, 2012 at 03:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 05:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 57
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearu View Post
The Home screen button is held in by 2 rubber tab things that extend either side of it, and insert into the main body, it's not attached to the screen. The speaker grill is glued to the main bezel underbody.

I only replaced the screen on mine, I'd link the ebay listing/seller but they have no stock of anything for sale at the moment, weird, I've had the new screen for over 4 months and it's fine.

The seller was forceviewer_evo, and I don't know why, but there are many shops/sellers called forceviewer_something.
Iíve bought a piece of Galaxy S2 glass (just the lens bit). How did you replace it? Did you heat it up? Do you need to break the phone apart or do you replace the lens in situ?

Do you have a photo or video guide on this?

From what Iíve read replacing just the lens/glass is really hard because the bond to the matrix behind is so tough.

It just seems crazy to replace the whole unit when itís just the glass thatís damaged. I wonder why Samsung did this because as far as Iím aware, the iPhone glass can be replaced independently (a friend got his screen replaced by a phone accessories stool in an hour for £60).

Thanks man.
ytrebil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gearu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 766
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy SII Silver Edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 61
Thanked 85 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Here is a strip down guide for the phone with pics:
Samsung Galaxy S II Teardown - iFixit

Behind the glass layers and matrix, is a circuitboard, I don't think you'll be able to just replace a glass layer, so you'll be up for about $160 for a new screen unit.

edit - the front of the bezel isn't shown in the guide, so here it is, the color on yours may vary, mine was just black instead of turquoise (this is from a white S2 I think - chrome speaker grille) :


The screen is stuck onto it with that double sided glue tape stuff, and a tab of circuitry goes through one of the holes and plugs around into the circuitboard on the other side.
Gearu is offline  
Last edited by Gearu; March 22nd, 2012 at 05:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London, UK
Posts: 23
 
Device(s): SGSII - GT-I9100
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Hey ytrebil, this is a copy/paste from another thread where I posted what happened to me last week:


Hey all, just adding my experience to this thread in case someone in the UK finds it useful. I didn't have insurance by the way

As the touchscreen still worked, it was just the outer glass that was broken, I initially thought about removing the glass from the AMOLED/digitizer and replacing just this glass 'faceplate'. But I decided not to attempt this myself after reading up on the potential difficulty!

A bit of googling the screen with digitizer found the cost to be a bit steep (£140 on amazon/£120 on ebay). Many sellers online will sell you the entire front of the phone (incl the dark metal bezel and home button) for £120 upwards, but these are not always Samsung branded, and are sometimes labelled LCD, which to me meant there was no guarantee they were AMOLED.

I therefore rang a few repair places around London to see what they could do for me, and received quotes of between £105 - £140 for replacement of the entire front of the phone (incl the dark metal bezel and home button). This seemed ok as it was 'only' £20 more than the cost of the part.

Thankfully I took a stroll around and tried a few phone shops (like O2, T-Mobile, etc) to see if there was any variation in prices from them. They were all 'send it away for 2 weeks and then we'll give you a quote'. What a joke!

I finally went with the "Geek Squad" at Carphone Warehouse. They replaced the entire front section for £80 all-in, which was very good considering the price of the part online. They did it in about 30 minutes while I waited. No issues so far, and if something does go wrong with the screen I have recourse to a legit company.

As an added bonus this does not affect the manufacturer 2 yr warranty.



P.S. I am currently still trying to decide if the replacement is quite as good as my previous screen. It is definitely not identical. The bottom of the phone and the bezel do not line up (a tiny 0.5mm overlap), and the screen feels smoother and is more oleophobic. Also home button and power button have less 'travel' - they don't press in as far as previously.
Peninsula is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peninsula For This Useful Post:
Russell Ng (March 23rd, 2012)
Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,384
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2, iPad 3 Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 169 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Well done for finding the best way to help the OP.

Unfortunately it works in the UK, but is not a recourse to everyone....
Russell Ng is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 57
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peninsula View Post
Hey ytrebil, this is a copy/paste from another thread where I posted what happened to me last week:


Hey all, just adding my experience to this thread in case someone in the UK finds it useful. I didn't have insurance by the way

As the touchscreen still worked, it was just the outer glass that was broken, I initially thought about removing the glass from the AMOLED/digitizer and replacing just this glass 'faceplate'. But I decided not to attempt this myself after reading up on the potential difficulty!

A bit of googling the screen with digitizer found the cost to be a bit steep (£140 on amazon/£120 on ebay). Many sellers online will sell you the entire front of the phone (incl the dark metal bezel and home button) for £120 upwards, but these are not always Samsung branded, and are sometimes labelled LCD, which to me meant there was no guarantee they were AMOLED.

I therefore rang a few repair places around London to see what they could do for me, and received quotes of between £105 - £140 for replacement of the entire front of the phone (incl the dark metal bezel and home button). This seemed ok as it was 'only' £20 more than the cost of the part.

Thankfully I took a stroll around and tried a few phone shops (like O2, T-Mobile, etc) to see if there was any variation in prices from them. They were all 'send it away for 2 weeks and then we'll give you a quote'. What a joke!

I finally went with the "Geek Squad" at Carphone Warehouse. They replaced the entire front section for £80 all-in, which was very good considering the price of the part online. They did it in about 30 minutes while I waited. No issues so far, and if something does go wrong with the screen I have recourse to a legit company.

As an added bonus this does not affect the manufacturer 2 yr warranty.



P.S. I am currently still trying to decide if the replacement is quite as good as my previous screen. It is definitely not identical. The bottom of the phone and the bezel do not line up (a tiny 0.5mm overlap), and the screen feels smoother and is more oleophobic. Also home button and power button have less 'travel' - they don't press in as far as previously.
Thanks a lot mate. I have a CPW in my local town but I think itís only small. Iíll try there. I have no idea if they have a ĎGeek Squadí there or not. Alternatively Iíll try the mobile phone accessories stall which I know repairs smashed iPhones so we will see.

When people talk about the Ďbezelí do they mean the thin anthracite grey coloured lip that runs around the edge of the phone? If so mine is slightly marked from where the stone was pushed into the screen so could do with that being replaced.
ytrebil is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ytrebil For This Useful Post:
Peninsula (March 23rd, 2012)
Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 57
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Could you give me details of the store you called into? Thanks buddy.
ytrebil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London, UK
Posts: 23
 
Device(s): SGSII - GT-I9100
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Yes, to me, bezel means the grey metal strip surrounding the screen. And mine was bashed by a stone too, so good to get the entire front replaced.

I went to the really big CPW at 272-274 Oxford St, beside John Lewis. Geek Squad is downstairs.

From memory, any CPW will take it in but if its small and the repair guys aren't on-site they will send it off to a larger one.

If you're making a special trip to go to CPW I would call ahead and make sure they have a spare screen in stock. I was lucky they had one ready to go. Must be a lot of SII users smashing their screens!!
Peninsula is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 03:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Do you need geek squad insurance ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peninsula View Post
Yes, to me, bezel means the grey metal strip surrounding the screen. And mine was bashed by a stone too, so good to get the entire front replaced.

I went to the really big CPW at 272-274 Oxford St, beside John Lewis. Geek Squad is downstairs.

From memory, any CPW will take it in but if its small and the repair guys aren't on-site they will send it off to a larger one.

If you're making a special trip to go to CPW I would call ahead and make sure they have a spare screen in stock. I was lucky they had one ready to go. Must be a lot of SII users smashing their screens!!
I had smashed my SGS2 and the lens has cracked but Do you need the geek squad insurance if you have to replace the screen or can you just pop into CPW and ask them to replace it and give the £80.
I am looking forward in hearing to you
Venkatesh1234 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy S2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Galaxy S2 (sometimes known as the Galaxy S II) is the follow up to Samsung's widely successful Galaxy S lineup. This time, the Galaxy S2 raises all the stakes and Samsung has found a way to double almost every spec in a true, one of a kind ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 (International)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.