Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 (International)

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 26th, 2014, 09:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pune, India
Gender: Male
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2
Carrier: Vodafone - IN

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default How to go from ICS (4.0.1) to Kitkat (4.4.3) in Galaxy SII GT-I9100

Till few days back I was running and using Kitkat 4.4.3 (SlimRom). But yesterday my phone switched off due to low battery. I didn't realise this and restarted it again. Since then the phone was stuck on 'Samsung Galaxy SII' screen (boot loop I think?). Anyways, so today I formatted it back to stock ICS 4.0.3. I rooted the phone as well. Now I have been trying to install the latest Kitkat roms and I'm unable to do so. I read it somewhere that I require at least CWM 6.0.4.3 to install Kitkat. Then I got CWM 6.0.4.7 on my phone and the phone is stuck again on 'Samsung Galaxy SII' screen. Are there any steps in between that I'm missing? Do I have to go like 4.0 -> 4.3 -> 4.4? Any help would be truly appreciated.

Currently phone is running on ICS 4.0.3 with CWM 5.0.2.7

Advertisements
sokratus is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 26th, 2014, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ireland
Gender: Male
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): Samsung S2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Hi sokratus
Go here:
CyanogenMod 11 Nightly Android 4.4.4 KitKat Arrives for Galaxy S2 I9100 and I9100G

I have done it a few times - works flawlessly.
Good luck.
secc123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secc123 For This Useful Post:
sokratus (July 26th, 2014)
Old July 26th, 2014, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pune, India
Gender: Male
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2
Carrier: Vodafone - IN

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by secc123 View Post
Hi sokratus
Go here:
CyanogenMod 11 Nightly Android 4.4.4 KitKat Arrives for Galaxy S2 I9100 and I9100G

I have done it a few times - works flawlessly.
Good luck.
Hi, Thanks. Are you sure it will work on the stock rom? Im downloading it right now and its gonna take 3 more hours (damn!) to complete.
sokratus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ireland
Gender: Male
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): Samsung S2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Hi sokratus,
Yep it will work - i also went from stock to cyanogenmod the first time i did it. I did get the yellow triangle showing at my boot screen but all was well with it. I think there is an app on google play called 'triangle be gone' or something like that which should remove it but i haven't bothered with it yet. It only shows as soon as i switch it on for a second then it all boots fine.
Just follow the instructions and you should be good.
I know the download speed sucks but if you want to get the latest nightly build from Cyanogenmod then go here, the speed is MUCH better!:
CyanogenMod Downloads
and grab todays - i flashed it today and its great (i also repartitioned my drives so i no longer have to worry about the 'insufficient space' warning when downloading google apps :-)

BTW, Make sure you have the GT-I9100 as thats the link i provided for. If you have the GT-I9100G (or other variant) then look on the link i posted for the nightlies for YOUR model.

Best of luck

BTW, make sure you back up your contacts/files first onto your sd card/pc just in case. CWM can create a full image of your phone to your sdcard just in case - so make sure you do this as well.
secc123 is offline  
Last edited by secc123; July 26th, 2014 at 11:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pune, India
Gender: Male
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2
Carrier: Vodafone - IN

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by secc123 View Post
Hi sokratus,
Yep it will work - i also went from stock to cyanogenmod the first time i did it. I did get the yellow triangle showing at my boot screen but all was well with it. I think there is an app on google play called 'triangle be gone' or something like that which should remove it but i haven't bothered with it yet. It only shows as soon as i switch it on for a second then it all boots fine.
Just follow the instructions and you should be good.
I know the download speed sucks but if you want to get the latest nightly build from Cyanogenmod then go here, the speed is MUCH better!:
CyanogenMod Downloads
and grab todays - i flashed it today and its great (i also repartitioned my drives so i no longer have to worry about the 'insufficient space' warning when downloading google apps :-)

BTW, Make sure you have the GT-I9100 as thats the link i provided for. If you have the GT-I9100G (or other variant) then look on the link i posted for the nightlies for YOUR model.

Best of luck

BTW, make sure you back up your contacts/files first onto your sd card/pc just in case. CWM can create a full image of your phone to your sdcard just in case - so make sure you do this as well.
Hey, thank a lot for that! You're the best!! I'm downloading from the link you gave me its quite fast! 12 minutes! Yes I am on SGS-II GT-I9100. Cheers!

I'll update here once I'm up and running.
sokratus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 05:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pune, India
Gender: Male
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2
Carrier: Vodafone - IN

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokratus View Post
Hey, thank a lot for that! You're the best!! I'm downloading from the link you gave me its quite fast! 12 minutes! Yes I am on SGS-II GT-I9100. Cheers!

I'll update here once I'm up and running.
Hey, I ran into this now. Do you know what might be causing this?
(sorry for the hazy image)
sokratus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pune, India
Gender: Male
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2
Carrier: Vodafone - IN

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Here's the link of the image: imgur: the simple image sharer
sokratus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ireland
Gender: Male
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): Samsung S2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokratus View Post
Hey, I ran into this now. Do you know what might be causing this?
(sorry for the hazy image)
Hi sokratus,
I had the same thing....status 7 error (sorry i completely forgot that i got that error the first time i tried it - must be my age ).
It freaked me out a bit but i think it was the version of cwm mentioned on that site, i downloaded a newer version and it went through fine then.
At the moment i am trying to calibrate my battery so phone is off until fully charged but i am uploading the version i *think* is the newer one i used to multiupload for you. Give me a couple of mins and i will post the link.
secc123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 06:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ireland
Gender: Male
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): Samsung S2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

here you go, its on multiple sites so choose whichever one you want. its about 5mb. Just install it using your cwm (install zip from sdcard) and then retry doing the rom update:

turbobit.nethttp://multiupload.biz/tb_ld87nq7kq3mh
firedrive.comhttp://multiupload.biz/pl_ld87nq7kq3mh
netload.in
http://multiupload.biz/nl_ld87nq7kq3mh
share-online.biz
http://multiupload.biz/so_ld87nq7kq3mh
asfile.com
http://multiupload.biz/as_ld87nq7kq3mh
rapidgator.nethttp://multiupload.biz/ra_ld87nq7kq3mh
bayfiles.com
http://multiupload.biz/bf_ld87nq7kq3mh
sendmyway.comhttp://multiupload.biz/sw_ld87nq7kq3mh
nosupload.comhttp://multiupload.biz/nu_ld87nq7kq3mh

Any other issues let me know and i will try to help if i can.
Good luck

BTW, check your version of CWM beforehand and after you install my version to make sure its newer, if not then let me know and once my phone is charged in about an hour or two i will check my version.
secc123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pune, India
Gender: Male
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2
Carrier: Vodafone - IN

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by secc123 View Post
here you go, its on multiple sites so choose whichever one you want. its about 5mb. Just install it using your cwm (install zip from sdcard) and then retry doing the rom update:

turbobit.netDownload CWM Kit Kat Compatible i9100 Multi Upload biz zip
firedrive.comDownload CWM Kit Kat Compatible i9100 Multi Upload biz zip
netload.in
Download CWM Kit Kat Compatible i9100 Multi Upload biz zip
share-online.biz
Download CWM Kit Kat Compatible i9100 Multi Upload biz zip
asfile.com
Download CWM Kit Kat Compatible i9100 Multi Upload biz zip
rapidgator.netDownload CWM Kit Kat Compatible i9100 Multi Upload biz zip
bayfiles.com
Download CWM Kit Kat Compatible i9100 Multi Upload biz zip
sendmyway.comDownload CWM Kit Kat Compatible i9100 Multi Upload biz zip
nosupload.comDownload CWM Kit Kat Compatible i9100 Multi Upload biz zip

Any other issues let me know and i will try to help if i can.
Good luck

BTW, check your version of CWM beforehand and after you install my version to make sure its newer, if not then let me know and once my phone is charged in about an hour or two i will check my version.
Hey SECC123,

Wow, thanks for all that! Ok, so I'll flash this first and then the rom and update you here.

Again, thanks a lot.
sokratus is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 26th, 2014, 06:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ireland
Gender: Male
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): Samsung S2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokratus View Post
Hey SECC123,

Wow, thanks for all that! Ok, so I'll flash this first and then the rom and update you here.

Again, thanks a lot.
Hi sokratus,
Your very welcome - hopefully it will all go smoothly for you now. Its just after midnight here but luckily i'm a night-owl so i will probably be up for a couple of hours yet, if you have any problems let me know. If i don't answer you quite quickly i may have gone to bed but i will definitely reply to you in the morning (my time).
secc123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pune, India
Gender: Male
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2
Carrier: Vodafone - IN

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by secc123 View Post
Hi sokratus,
Your very welcome - hopefully it will all go smoothly for you now. Its just after midnight here but luckily i'm a night-owl so i will probably be up for a couple of hours yet, if you have any problems let me know. If i don't answer you quite quickly i may have gone to bed but i will definitely reply to you in the morning (my time).
No problems. Its almost 5am here anyways. If something goes wrong I'll bother you in the morning ^_^.
sokratus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ireland
Gender: Male
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): Samsung S2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokratus View Post
No problems. Its almost 5am here anyways. If something goes wrong I'll bother you in the morning ^_^.
just post anyway, i will be nervous until i know it went OK for you!


Just re-read the instructions for flashing, it states that you need to flash cyanogenmod 10.2 first before v11.....I never bothered with that. I just flashed version 11 straight away so maybe you want to skip that step also?
secc123 is offline  
Last edited by secc123; July 26th, 2014 at 06:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 06:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pune, India
Gender: Male
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2
Carrier: Vodafone - IN

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by secc123 View Post
just post anyway, i will be nervous until i know it went OK for you!


Just re-read the instructions for flashing, it states that you need to flash cyanogenmod 10.2 first before v11.....I never bothered with that. I just flashed version 11 straight away so maybe you want to skip that step also?
Hey, I just successfully installed CyanogenMod. Its CM11, so I guess I did skip a step . The phone has started and its 4.4.4. But I'm getting constant popups saying "unfortunately, the process xyz has stopped". Is it because of the GAPPS? Is there anyway I can just reformat the OS and install different set of GAPPS? The ones I installed were for 4.4.3.
sokratus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ireland
Gender: Male
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): Samsung S2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

PHEW! that's great news - yep you skipped the same step as me (great minds think alike!!!)

Did you install the full GApps? I just grabbed the minimal GApps from here:
[Standard/Minimal GApps][0-Day][4.4.4][7-24-€ | Nexus 5 | XDA Forum
the one i used was:

GApps Minimal 4.4.4
~23 MB
Google Play Store
Syncing apks and libs, etc.

I hate all the extra google bloatware. try uninstalling your version, reboot and make sure the errors are gone then try the minimal one and see if it works without errors. I never got any errors with it. If you need the extra Google apps you can add them later.
secc123 is offline  
Last edited by secc123; July 26th, 2014 at 07:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pune, India
Gender: Male
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2
Carrier: Vodafone - IN

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by secc123 View Post
PHEW! thats great news - yep you skipped the same step as me (great minds think alike!!!)

Did you install the full GApps? I just grabbed the minmal GApps from here:
[Standard/Minimal GApps][0-Day][4.4.4][7-24-… | Nexus 5 | XDA Forum
the one i used was:

GApps Minimal 4.4.4
~23 MB
Google Play Store
Syncing apks and libs, etc.

I hate all the extra google bloatware. try uninstalling your version, reboot and make sure the errors aare gone then try the minimal one and see if it works without errors. I never got any errors with it. If you need the extra Google apps you can add them later.
Yeah I installed the full GAPPS. Got them from here Google Apps - CyanogenMod
I'll try with the ones you've given me.
sokratus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 07:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pune, India
Gender: Male
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2
Carrier: Vodafone - IN

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wunderbar!! Everything is A-OK now. Without your help it would've been really hard for me. Thanks a million billion times SECC123! Staying up all night paid off. I'm off to bed now, cheers!
sokratus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 07:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ireland
Gender: Male
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): Samsung S2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Hey sokratus,
You are more than welcome, glad i could help. So pleased you got everything sorted

Enjoy cyanogenmod - i find it really fast and smooth running. My eye's are getting heavy as well so i may turn in myself.
Best of luck
Secc
secc123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 01:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pune, India
Gender: Male
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2
Carrier: Vodafone - IN

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hey one last query, I am unable to see any links in any app. I think they all are white. I can't see numbers in a message of whatsapp, or links in comments of youtube, etc. Check this screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/hs8muwp.png

Do you have any idea how to change link colours maybe?
sokratus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 05:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ireland
Gender: Male
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): Samsung S2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Hi, I haven't experienced that. Which browser are you using for youtube etc? Did you try switching themes in the settings?

go to settings/themes and then at the top-right you will see 'get more'. There are lots of cheap theme's there but first try switching to one of the free themes then reboot and test. Then you can switch back to the default 'HOLO' theme.
You can also try the same with settings/fonts and see if that makes a difference.
secc123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Reply

Samsung Galaxy S2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Galaxy S2 (sometimes known as the Galaxy S II) is the follow up to Samsung's widely successful Galaxy S lineup. This time, the Galaxy S2 raises all the stakes and Samsung has found a way to double almost every spec in a true, one of a kind ... Read More

Tags
galaxy s2, kitkat, stock rom


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 (International)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.