Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

Like Tree1Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 19th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #51 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Sports apps with notifications suck on android. Why ESPN scorecenter doesn't support notifications on android like it does on iOS is beyond me. I get a goal update on my 4s and 5min later get it on sportacular on my SR. Scoremobile is no different and sometimes doesn't give any.

Advertisements
SteveISU is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 19th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #52 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default icon on the top

I have an icon on the top of my screen that I don't know. Forgive me if is an added app and not simply a droid thing. There's an orange circle with an ever-changing white number in it. There is a grey shape behind it that I can't make out, as the circle is covering it. Any ideas?

Also, what is the recycle sign icon?

Thanks folks!
Trena is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #53 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 84
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

i have no idea what that orange circle is... and are you talking about the green recycle sign on top left? that means that battery saver mode is turned on.
gmoney5588 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmoney5588 For This Useful Post:
Trena (November 20th, 2011)
Old November 19th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #54 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 84
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

oh and for those of you that were looking for good music apps, i use real player, but it's just as good or if not slightly worse than winamp, so if you didn't like winamp you won't like real player. A lot of pp recommend that you use double twist player and using airsync with it, but i found that airsync crashes every single time on my 64bit windows 7. i got so freaking frustrated that i got rid of both of them. airsync isn't free though but the double twist player is free and it's recommended by a lot of pp
gmoney5588 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #55 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I actually like the samsung music player.
SteveISU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #56 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 84
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

yeah i definitely like the UI of samsung music player except that it doesn't let u control the god damn music from the lock screen. I really miss the music control function from the iphone... i find it annoying that i have to unlock the phone and then go into the music app and then play a song instead of double tapping home button from lock screen
gmoney5588 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #57 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney5588 View Post
yeah i definitely like the UI of samsung music player except that it doesn't let u control the god damn music from the lock screen. I really miss the music control function from the iphone... i find it annoying that i have to unlock the phone and then go into the music app and then play a song instead of double tapping home button from lock screen
Your talking to start the music player. Obviously once the music is playing there are controls on the lock screen.
SteveISU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #58 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 84
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

no, even after it starts if you have pattern lock on, then the music control on lock screen goes away
gmoney5588 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #59 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney5588 View Post
no, even after it starts if you have pattern lock on, then the music control on lock screen goes away

Yeah, don't use pattern lock. lol
SteveISU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #60 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr. Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 6,675
 
Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by relativculture View Post
Ex iPhone user. I picked up a Samsung Skyrocket recently and have been getting used to it ever since. I figured with a grandfathered data plan, I should be using 4G to its potential.

My biggest issues so far with the phone is media related (and maybe some of you know the answers to these problems)

1. The music applications do not get that loud in general. When I plug my phone into an AUX plug, I have to crank up my in-car volume along with maxing the Android media volume.

2. Another music issue, as each track changes, there is a crackle. It also crackles and freaks out when I disconnect my phone from an AUX port to answer a call (the music switches between a psuedo stereo/phone mix instead of a smooth transition and pause I had with the iPhone.

3. I have tried Winamp, PowerAMP, MIUI, etc. and all have been less than satisfactory.

4. Also, I haven't been able to find a program that works best with my phone for music and album art. I am on a PC. Should I be using MediaMonkey or Songibrd?

Apart from the media issues I love the phone, but these issues are big for me since I use the options so often.

Thanks fellas!
try out mix zing... I use it for audio and video. Some iphone users prefer doubletwist due to it's likeness to itunes.

on your line out issue, you might try a different cable. I can not think of anything else to suggest at the moment. I have been using mine in car for 3 weeks now on our road trip and media volume at 50-60% has been more than sufficient

as for the crackle..are you by chance plugged into a power source? I have noticed feedback while connected to a power source, I actually just exchanged mine to best buy over the issue. (have not tested the new unit)

see my post about line out noise and listen to the video
__________________
I'm back....
Mr. Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 20th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #61 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr. Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 6,675
 
Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts
Default

it sounds like you have everything set up in go sms pro correctly. it is not my messaging app of preference (handcent) but it should work fine.


open messaging and press menu.settings.uncheck notifications

this should fix your issue with that specific issue. if not let me know and I will dload go sms and try and figure out what is wrong as that should do it


which app are you using for email? the process is the same, but you open the stock email app, menu.settings, turn off notifications (or delete the acct info in there..if you are not using it, why is it there?)


Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
Texting client I am using is GO SMS Pro

I am trying to have it so that the sounds I assigned to my text messages (funny laugh sound as an example) and emails (a farting noise) will come through when the screen is black. But, they never do. They only come through when the screen is lit up. On to the next part, this is where I think most people might be getting confused.

When you are on the home screen on the skyrocket you can go to settings>sound>notification ringtone. From this tab, you have choices of silent and then sounds, but no off. If you have it on silent, no notification noise will come through, the funny laugh of the text or the fart noise of the email. Now if you have a sound chosen for this notification tab, which is the only other option besides for silent, say you pick (ringing bell). If the screen is black instead of hearing the assigned texting tone of (funny laugh), that notification tab takes over and the sound (ringing bell) will be played. The same with emails, a (farting noise) should come through, but instead the (ringing bell) comes through. So if my phone is across the room I have no way to differentiate if someone is trying to get ahold of me or if I just got an email.

Now if the screen is lit up and a text comes through the (funny laugh) will play and if a email comes through the (farting noise) will play.
Mr. Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #62 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 35
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trena View Post
I have an icon on the top of my screen that I don't know. Forgive me if is an added app and not simply a droid thing. There's an orange circle with an ever-changing white number in it. There is a grey shape behind it that I can't make out, as the circle is covering it. Any ideas?

Also, what is the recycle sign icon?

Thanks folks!
This one? If so, it's unread messages in your email account

jetmechG550 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #63 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Hey guys so after trying out the skyrocket for 2 weeks I've decided to go back to iPhone, I returned it today and ordered a 4S.
Overall the skyrocket was a very solid device, but it lacked a couple of things in key areas, for example: while I loved the open source and customization options on the SR as well as the bigger screen, the battery life was horrible in comparison to the iPhone, and where I work I don't have the ability to plug it in once in a while the way it needs to be and I'm constantly on it. Another thing that I didn't like was the overall user interface where it felt very choppy and not as intuitive as the iPhone. All and all I had a good experience with but not enough to convince me to permanently switch. Who knows maybe on the future they will fix this issues, meanwhile see you guys later
Diesel82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #64 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 35
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

DId you have a 4S before? Wait til you see that battery life. I had every iPhone and the 4S drove me to try something different after 2 different 4S's, updates and 29 days.
jetmechG550 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #65 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr. Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 6,675
 
Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmechG550 View Post
DId you have a 4S before? Wait til you see that battery life. I had every iPhone and the 4S drove me to try something different after 2 different 4S's, updates and 29 days.
Its bad enough that there are rumors going around that apple will be upgrading batteries for free.

I hate to see people switch back but the level of user customization needed to android to be complete can be overwhelming to new users.

All of the above can be corrected..but take time and a willingness to learn.

I will add also that those switching to an iPhone really should wait. The strong rumor is that the 5 will be released in 6 to 8 months. There may be a ton stuck with that 4s come June/July...and unlike previous models.. .no one will want it
Mr. Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 04:28 AM   #66 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
Its bad enough that there are rumors going around that apple will be upgrading batteries for free.

I hate to see people switch back but the level of user customization needed to android to be complete can be overwhelming to new users.

All of the above can be corrected..but take time and a willingness to learn.

I will add also that those switching to an iPhone really should wait. The strong rumor is that the 5 will be released in 6 to 8 months. There may be a ton stuck with that 4s come June/July...and unlike previous models.. .no one will want it
That is true, it's happened to me before, luckily I've always been able to sell the older version when one is coming out and use that money towards canceling the contract and what comes out of my pocket is basically the price of the phone itself which usually is around 199.00 (I always get the 16 gig)
Diesel82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 09:59 AM   #67 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 11
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Keeping up with the pack

If Apple had released an iPhone 5 with a 4"+ screen and 4G LTE you would notbe seeing me on this forum. I think the iPhone is the most complete package of functionality, reliability, excellent customer support and build quality of all the phones I've seen. That being said, even though I waited for God knows how long for Apple to implement "cut and paste" on the iPhone, my waiting days were over. I've read about and played in store with just about all the high end phones out there today (and weill know that tomorrow literally will bring the next greatest phone), and decided the Skyrocket is a keeper. I think it's a very nice looking phone (even stacked up to the iPhone 4S and the Razr), and now after having it since launch day on Nov 6th I find it a very solid and capable device.

My biggest concern, battery life, is fading away as I go from fiddling with the phone constantly to a more natural day to day use pattern of calls, checking email, streaming music, listening to podcasts etc. I'm getting almost a full days use out of a charge, and if I come up short I have a spare battery. By the way, as many here have noted, there is a serious problem with the battery level display. It will say100% all day long right up till the phone shuts down. The only way to get a true read on the battery level is to turn it off and on and you'll see the level instantly change.

App availabilty is good. I've found most of my favorite apps in the market (Evernote, Pandora, Kindle, FlightTrack, RadarScope, SiriusXM, Netflix and Hulu+). My favorite iPhone/iPad word game is Wurdle, which unfortunately is not available for Android. my iOS/Mac password wallet, 1Password, has a free reader app for android and is apparently working on a full blown app for the OS. my biggest disappointment is that I'm giving up Omni Focus on my phone, since it looks like there are no plans to build an Android version.

I can't speak to music. I'm not a big music listener and have not invested much time in trying to figure out how to get my iTunes music on the Android. I still have the iPad ans my old 3Gs, so that's not a big deal

I really like the camera in the skyrocket compared to my old 3GS. can't compare to the new 4s since I have not been able to use one out of the store.

I get great download speeds even on HSPA+ (not sure when they are going to throw the LTE switch here in Orlando. Generally I get 3-5 M download, with occasional spikes at almost 10 M.

I love the big bright display. The colors are very vibrant, although I have noticed the somewhat bluish tinge many have talked about. The screen resolution is fine for me, even though phones like the 4S, Razr, Vivid and Nexus have higher resolutions.

Gingerbread is fairly straightforward as far as I can tell. I'd still give ios 5 my vote as a "better", and more stable OS, but that's me. I've read a lot about ICS, and I'll be interested to see how it's implemented on the Skyrocket. It's funny the small things that mean a lot. I was really disappointed when the Bionic that I test delve before the Skyocket did not have built in screen capture (the Razr does not seem to have it either). I assume that the Skyrocket has an iPhone like screen capture (push the home button and then the power button) as part of the Touchwiz interface. I use screen grabs a lot, and am really happy the Skyrocket has it).

Anyway, that's my impressions after a few weeks with the Skyrocket. I'm pretty happy with it.
jondrew is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jondrew For This Useful Post:
emngio (December 27th, 2011)
Old November 21st, 2011, 11:10 AM   #68 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
If Apple had released an iPhone 5 with a 4"+ screen and 4G LTE you would notbe seeing me on this forum. I think the iPhone is the most complete package of functionality, reliability, excellent customer support and build quality of all the phones I've seen. That being said, even though I waited for God knows how long for Apple to implement "cut and paste" on the iPhone, my waiting days were over. I've read about and played in store with just about all the high end phones out there today (and weill know that tomorrow literally will bring the next greatest phone), and decided the Skyrocket is a keeper. I think it's a very nice looking phone (even stacked up to the iPhone 4S and the Razr), and now after having it since launch day on Nov 6th I find it a very solid and capable device.

My biggest concern, battery life, is fading away as I go from fiddling with the phone constantly to a more natural day to day use pattern of calls, checking email, streaming music, listening to podcasts etc. I'm getting almost a full days use out of a charge, and if I come up short I have a spare battery. By the way, as many here have noted, there is a serious problem with the battery level display. It will say100% all day long right up till the phone shuts down. The only way to get a true read on the battery level is to turn it off and on and you'll see the level instantly change.

App availabilty is good. I've found most of my favorite apps in the market (Evernote, Pandora, Kindle, FlightTrack, RadarScope, SiriusXM, Netflix and Hulu+). My favorite iPhone/iPad word game is Wurdle, which unfortunately is not available for Android. my iOS/Mac password wallet, 1Password, has a free reader app for android and is apparently working on a full blown app for the OS. my biggest disappointment is that I'm giving up Omni Focus on my phone, since it looks like there are no plans to build an Android version.

I can't speak to music. I'm not a big music listener and have not invested much time in trying to figure out how to get my iTunes music on the Android. I still have the iPad ans my old 3Gs, so that's not a big deal

I really like the camera in the skyrocket compared to my old 3GS. can't compare to the new 4s since I have not been able to use one out of the store.

I get great download speeds even on HSPA+ (not sure when they are going to throw the LTE switch here in Orlando. Generally I get 3-5 M download, with occasional spikes at almost 10 M.

I love the big bright display. The colors are very vibrant, although I have noticed the somewhat bluish tinge many have talked about. The screen resolution is fine for me, even though phones like the 4S, Razr, Vivid and Nexus have higher resolutions.

Gingerbread is fairly straightforward as far as I can tell. I'd still give ios 5 my vote as a "better", and more stable OS, but that's me. I've read a lot about ICS, and I'll be interested to see how it's implemented on the Skyrocket. It's funny the small things that mean a lot. I was really disappointed when the Bionic that I test delve before the Skyocket did not have built in screen capture (the Razr does not seem to have it either). I assume that the Skyrocket has an iPhone like screen capture (push the home button and then the power button) as part of the Touchwiz interface. I use screen grabs a lot, and am really happy the Skyrocket has it).

Anyway, that's my impressions after a few weeks with the Skyrocket. I'm pretty happy with it.
You're pretty much right on the money with all those points, for me the 2 things that kinda make me go back was the battery life as well as the overall smoothness and stability of the OS another thing that kinda influenced my decision was the gaming, I love to play all sorts of games specially modern combat and advanced graphics games like that, and the games available on the app market kinda don't do it too much justice ..
Diesel82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 06:04 PM   #69 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney5588 View Post
i have no idea what that orange circle is... and are you talking about the green recycle sign on top left? that means that battery saver mode is turned on.

Gmoney, thx for the reply. It's note the recycle sign. It seems to be shaped like an old fashioned price tag. It's square, but on the left end of the square, it's pointed. It's grey, but has those little oranged circled numbers that are ever changing. And sometimes it's not there at all. Weird.
Trena is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 06:08 PM   #70 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmechG550 View Post
This one? If so, it's unread messages in your email account

Jetmech, thanks for replying, but no it's not the email icon. See my post to gmoney describing it again. Wish I had a picture!
Trena is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 21st, 2011, 07:32 PM   #71 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 35
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trena View Post
Jetmech, thanks for replying, but no it's not the email icon. See my post to gmoney describing it again. Wish I had a picture!
Post a screen shot, it's just a notification for some app. Possibly the SNH? Or when it's there, pull down your notifications banner
jetmechG550 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 08:50 PM   #72 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmechG550 View Post
Post a screen shot, it's just a notification for some app. Possibly the SNH? Or when it's there, pull down your notifications banner

Thanks for the replay. I don't know what SNH is or how to take a screen shot. I had no idea i could pull down the notification bar! When I did so, there was an item in the list called AT&T and a button that said "clear" beside it. I hit the button and the notification icon disappeared. Still not sure what that is!!

Also, new problem: Why doesn't the visual voicemail give me a notification of some sort. All I get is a tone. If I didn't hear it, I can only go to VV and look to see if there was a message left. What am I missing here?
Trena is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 09:33 PM   #73 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 35
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

screen shot = hold the home button and click the power button. Go to gallery it should be under screenshots.

SNH I kind of screwed up but it Social Hub, I thought it was Social Network Hub

Visual Voicemail - go to settings and see what's check for notifications
jetmechG550 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:52 AM   #74 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmechG550 View Post
screen shot = hold the home button and click the power button. Go to gallery it should be under screenshots.

SNH I kind of screwed up but it Social Hub, I thought it was Social Network Hub

Visual Voicemail - go to settings and see what's check for notifications
Got the homescreen shot, but I don't know how to get it to my PC so that I can post it on here. Really not much time this week to figure it out. Or I'm sure I can eventually get it done thru my phone's browser. It remains a mystery for now...

My settings for the VV have been set for notifications in the status bar. I've figured out that what it does is flash a message for 1 second right after the voicemail is left. My problem is there is nothing that stays on there telling me I have one, so that when I've been away and come back to the phone I don't have to check VV every time to see if there are. And I don't know why my VV icon can't display a little round orange thing with the number in it like texts and emails do??? Consistency people! lol Maybe it's an AT&T thing?
Trena is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:12 AM   #75 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 35
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Have a photo bucket account? easiest way to upload and then post here.
jetmechG550 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 02:21 PM   #76 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 4
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hello! I just received my Skyrocket today. I upgraded from an iPhone 4. The husband went the iPhone 4S route and, while it is a nicer phone than the iPhone 4, I am loving the Skyrocket so far. I primarily use my phone for taking photos, playing games and looking stuff up so I've been enjoying it so far. I might actually use the Netflix app now!

Quick question - any way I can stop the gmail updates? I disabled push mail on my iPhone and prefer to manually update my inbox. I've searched around but I'm not finding an answer. Help?
steenface is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #77 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default icon screenshot

Alright guys.I think I have the screenshot for u.let's see if this works!

Mobile Photobucket

Sorry, couldn't get hyperlink to work using phone...pita.

It's definitely an ATT thing, but can't figure it out, as the number is always changing, anywhere from 1-15 or so.
Trena is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #78 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default OMG OMG OMG!! Dont listen to this tripe..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobster1982 View Post
Hate to say it.

I had the iPhone 4s since its launch. Yesterday I bought the skyrocket. I already returned the skyrocket. The original gs2 is much better than the skyrocket.

On the skyrocket the screen looks terrible. Brightness always changes even with auto off. Phone is laggy.

Camera is terrible compared to iPhone.
My experience: YMMV
Picked up the Samsung GS2 and did not get a case (dumb).. I went back a few days later and it just happened to be the very day AT&T was starting to let 4s out the door. All the little girls buying the electric pink rhinestone cases and Hello Kitty crap.
I wondered at that time if I didn't want to give the i4s a try. A week later I said heck lets see what the buzz is all about. Did a trade.

1. 4s to Skyrocket is the most incredibly smart tech decision I EVER made. I even BEGGED AT&T to take the 4s back because I was 37 days into contract. I owe them BIG-TIME!
2. If phone is laggy, I never noticed it and I am punching the CPU in the a$$ right now, Neutron MP3s rocking, wireless hotspot running, and, looking at a word doc I just got in email. Smooth as butter.
3. Blew the phone up with an unstable mod, knew it going in, but had to try.
4. Was able to completely recover to stock and get right back in the game thanks to the AMAZING community support. Those folks ROCK!
5. The camera is as good as any phone camera I have used, but who cares, my Nikon SLR digital takes my real pics.
6. Brightness? The 4s is vague and dull compared. I set to static full bright and it never went back to auto..
7. No, the G2S has all kinds of different issues. Believe me, I am a crackberry convert of some 4 years, and I was ill prepared for the Android arena. The DIFFERENCE is the G2S has been out long enough for the community to come up with amazing solutions. Give the Skyrocket a month and the folks out here will have any quirk ironed out.
8. Open systems RULES PERIOD! No, jailbreak is not even close - total lack of support, wait days for any reply from some Dr.Pepper drinking pop tart eating snot nosed punk to tell you too bad they never thought of that...

And LASTLY, If you traded it back in, WHY are you still here?? Just to rag on it?
MakAttak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #79 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakAttak View Post
My experience: YMMV
Picked up the Samsung GS2 and did not get a case (dumb).. I went back a few days later and it just happened to be the very day AT&T was starting to let 4s out the door. All the little girls buying the electric pink rhinestone cases and Hello Kitty crap.
I wondered at that time if I didn't want to give the i4s a try. A week later I said heck lets see what the buzz is all about. Did a trade.

1. 4s to Skyrocket is the most incredibly smart tech decision I EVER made. I even BEGGED AT&T to take the 4s back because I was 37 days into contract. I owe them BIG-TIME!
2. If phone is laggy, I never noticed it and I am punching the CPU in the a$$ right now, Neutron MP3s rocking, wireless hotspot running, and, looking at a word doc I just got in email. Smooth as butter.
3. Blew the phone up with an unstable mod, knew it going in, but had to try.
4. Was able to completely recover to stock and get right back in the game thanks to the AMAZING community support. Those folks ROCK!
5. The camera is as good as any phone camera I have used, but who cares, my Nikon SLR digital takes my real pics.
6. Brightness? The 4s is vague and dull compared. I set to static full bright and it never went back to auto..
7. No, the G2S has all kinds of different issues. Believe me, I am a crackberry convert of some 4 years, and I was ill prepared for the Android arena. The DIFFERENCE is the G2S has been out long enough for the community to come up with amazing solutions. Give the Skyrocket a month and the folks out here will have any quirk ironed out.
8. Open systems RULES PERIOD! No, jailbreak is not even close - total lack of support, wait days for any reply from some Dr.Pepper drinking pop tart eating snot nosed punk to tell you too bad they never thought of that...

And LASTLY, If you traded it back in, WHY are you still here?? Just to rag on it?
I second all this. The GSII Skyrocket is an excellent phone and as problems are removed, it would become an even better one. I would think that ICS would become available for the phone within 4 - 5 months, which would further increase utility.

Now, I still do not understand the screen brightness issue that some users have. Automatic brightness can be switched off and the phone does actually provide another setting in which a standard brightness level can be set. All that is easily discoverable, even by unsophisticated users. It seems to me that too many consumers want to be force-fed, and this department Apple does an admirable job I must say.

At the end, many consumers prefer closed systems because they do not require too much thought on choices and settings. The endless customizability of Android is simply confusing too many users. For these users, the iPhone or even WP phones will do the work very well.

In the issue of camera: Come on, these are camera phones. They are not intended for serious photography. Those who think otherwise must inhabit some other world. Phones, especially with 8 mpx camera provide a nice way to take a shot when no camera is available but they are not camera substitutes, not even close. Having said this, the camera in the Skyrocket is excellent. One can add certain camera utilities that assist the user with HDR photography and night shots, which is really fine for an unsophisticated photographer.
ADRz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #80 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 4
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

In regards to the camera (and with anything else, to be honest) you really need to learn your device. My husband has the iPhone 4S and we were side-by-side tonight taking pictures of the Thanksgiving table. I was frustrated because the photo looked beautiful in the viewfinder but in the gallery, it looked horrible; it took me a little bit to realize something in my settings was dimming the screen for photo viewing. Once I fixed it, our photos were comparable. I do think the Skyrocket has better photo editing options --- and I delight in Adobe Photoshop Express.

I've owned an iPhone since they first came out. The only models I haven't owned are the 3GS and the 4S. I loved them and they were fantastic phones but so many phones out there now are truly competitive. However, I also know the issues I personally had with the iPhone (and with Apple) and the Skyrocket has been awesome so far. (Although I miss the longer battery life buuuuut I'm getting used to it!)
steenface is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 26th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #81 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Checking back in, have had the phone since it's come out, and I'm still super happy. I can honestly say this battery out performs my iPhone 4s. Not only my previous 4S, but my brothers, best friends, and another friends phone doesn't hold a candle to the battery performance.

Regarding the phone, still love, love, love the screen and size. I love that I get the reaction from my friends and relatives who are like "man, that screen is huge!", and then I show them the speed, even just on faux 4G.

I hope that Google continues to enhance Android, and I also hope that developers continue to dedicate to the Android OS. I'm very happy with my change.

I will be getting the new ipad in March though, because I have a lot of money tied in apps that fortunately my wife and son continue to enjoy.
jdizzy8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #82 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): Samsung Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I've been using the Swype keyboard and it is super fast!
keliuc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #83 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Able to switch between S2 and iphone 3GS on AT&T?

Hi all,

I've have my 3GS since a few days after it came out. It's time for a change and I want to pick up an S2 SR.

Anyone here on AT&T and had an iphone 3G/3GS and can switch back and forth between the iphone and the S2?

I talked to different AT&T sales reps and got two different answers. One said I could do it, but would have to log on to AT&T website and change my data plans for it to work. Another rep said I could do it as long as I had the S2 activated and it's SIM card programmed for 4G LTE. He said that SIM would work in my iphone, but of course I wouldn't get 4G on my iphone.
JrFreak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #84 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 27
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I know that they are listed as two different data plans- when I went from an iphone to an android it worked without calling right away- idk how long it will work thou-
Thiat302 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #85 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
spikeithard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: London Ontario Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 771
 
Device(s): Samsung Mega 6.3
Carrier: Rogers

Thanks: 44
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keliuc View Post
I've been using the Swype keyboard and it is super fast!
swype is da BOMB
spikeithard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #86 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 18
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Swype produces some interesting words often.. I got ai type keyboard as suggested in this thread and it is amazing. Feels just like texting with my 3gs again.
Firedown31 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #87 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 28
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

i have a 3GS, and was able to swap the SIM with no issue.
propsizzle is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to propsizzle For This Useful Post:
JrFreak (November 28th, 2011)
Old November 28th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #88 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 80
 
Device(s): Note 3, Gear 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keliuc View Post
I've been using the Swype keyboard and it is super fast!
++
BlackZenith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #89 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St Louis MO
Posts: 25
 
Device(s): Samsung Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I am a long-time iPhone, iTunes, and Mac user. Just switched to Skyrocket three weeks ago (ok - actually GSII then traded in for Skyrocket). Big learning curve but I am enjoying the large screen and flexibility of the Android platform. I am an engineer and a geek :-) and have played a lot with this phone and with the available apps. Also done a lot of reading up on the platform.
Here are some tips I hope might help out a few of you:

For the music lovers - this is what I did that worked well for me. My entire 2000 song library is all in iTunes (and I wanted to keep it that way). I used a program called iSyncr (its an app in the android market) which allowed me to download my entire iTunes library including playlists, star ratings, etc to my SD card. It also downloads the album art. It does it all automagically - no need to drag/drop your song files anywhere!
FYI - it will not transfer over a music file type called "protected AAC file" These are files from a couple of years ago when Apple copy-protected the songs if you purchased on iTunes. The way around that I found was to burn them (10 at a time) onto CD using iTunes, then re-import the CD into iTunes. Now they will come back in unprotected and they will be able to be moved to your Skyrocket. (I have 300 songs I did this with - took a while -- whew! I am sure there is some program that may do it for you but I found this was cheapest way)

I also downloaded an app called PlayerPro to play my music. PlayerPro is great - it has several widget options and also it has a lock screen option that does work with the security lock (including pattern lock) It has a free trial then you do have to pay for it - but I think its worth it.

For movies - I coded my videos using a free program I downloaded to my mac called HandBrake (I think there is a PC version as well). HandBrake has handy presets - I use the one called "universal" and then I just make sure my file name has the .mp4 extension. When the movie is done - I simply drag and drop it onto my SD card and I use the stock Samsung video player it works great.

For connecting to your Mac/PC - I personally don't bother with Keis - I found it to be a big pain. What I did was go into my phone Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging -- check that box. This will now allow your phone to talk to your computer when you connect it via USB. So then when you connect your phone to your computer, pull down the notification menu on your phone and click on the USB one. It will pull up a window with a box at the bottom asking if you want to connect to your PC (or something like that) click it and then your phone's memory will become visible on your computer and you can access your phone's hard drive and SD card by using Finder on a Mac or Windows Explorer on PC. Then just drag and drop whatever files you like!! Don't forget to "unmount" the drives from your computer before going back to your phone and deselecting the USB box.

One final thing - did you know you have 15 minutes to try out any paid app in the android market? If you download the app, try it out and don't like it, go back into the market and on the page for that app at the top should be a "refund" button. Click it and presto - the app is deleted from your phone and you are not charged for the app! :-)


Sorry if this is all newby stuff that most of you may know already - these are just some of the major items I discovered while switching from iPhone. Hoping it helps!
hillucla is offline  
Last edited by hillucla; November 30th, 2011 at 01:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hillucla For This Useful Post:
EODMaster (December 29th, 2011), Mr. Ed (December 30th, 2011)
Old November 28th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #90 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by propsizzle View Post
i have a 3GS, and was able to swap the SIM with no issue.
Cool. No issues with data?
JrFreak is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 28th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #91 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrFreak View Post
Cool. No issues with data?
Unless you make a change in your data plan, an extension of your contract does not affect your existing data plan.

However, existing data on the phone is another matter. If you want to get your contacts from one phone to the other, open a gmail account and transfer your contacts to the gmail account. When you are prompted to enter your google account, your contacts will appear automatically. If you have photograhs, post these photographs on a Picassa album and they would also appear automatically.

The great thing about Android is that you have access to the file structure. Thus, if you have saved all your photos in your PC, you can place them in the Skyrocket after you establish a connection with USB (you will be asked if you want to connect your storage).

The change in operating systems requires some ground work.
ADRz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 02:19 AM   #92 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 92
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I don't have the SR but I wasn't able to just switch my Samsung Captivate to the 3gs without calling att. When I swapped the card, I was able to make call, but can't use the data.
But a month later when I traded my 3gs for the Infused, I was able to swap chip without calling att.

Same thing happened with the guy I traded the phone with. He had to call att to get data to work on his 3gs that I gave him.
SuperAkuma is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #93 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Also an Iphone 3GS convert... 1wk with my Skyrocket. Overall like it a lot. Nothing against IOS but I just wanted full google maps and a bigger screen. Would have been happy with the Atrix 2 if it has a little more features... 4.3" I think is a little better size. This one is a little hard to use one handed for some things. A few issues I still need to work out. Help welcome!
1) I used the notes app to sync with gmail notes, since mail is always up on my mac. Several apps sync to google tasks or their own private web sync (most with desktop apps) but I dont want another app on my mac... I just want to sync with gmail notes. gnote claims to do it but the formatting is wrong and even if I fixed it, it wouldnt work with IOS devices if I used my ipad to update the note. I use notes a LOT so this is big issue for me to fix.

2) gmail app - I dont want to use it... just want to use one unified mail app, but so far I have not figured out how to turn it off. I would also like a better mail app... the one that came with the phone is a little weak... would like to be able to swipe left to go back to pref sreen, and easy way to get back to list of mailboxes. Also dont want to confirm to delete, and would like to report spam.

3) The music player is OK I guess, but when I quit it doesnt remember where I was. I use doubletwist to sync to my itunes but dont use the app on the phone. Maybe its good... just using the one that came with the phone for now.

4) Contacts sort by first name... I am sure this is simple (syncing with google account) - prob because thats the way it is in google... hmm...

Honestly thats about it. Battery is ok although sometimes something seems to run away. I had a full charge and it ran down to zero when I wasnt doing anything 2 days ago. Just left it sitting in the car. Sometimes it is very impressive but there is a bug or rouge app in there somewhere.
jeremylub is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #94 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St Louis MO
Posts: 25
 
Device(s): Samsung Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremylub View Post
Also an Iphone 3GS convert... 1wk with my Skyrocket. Overall like it a lot. Nothing against IOS but I just wanted full google maps and a bigger screen. Would have been happy with the Atrix 2 if it has a little more features... 4.3" I think is a little better size. This one is a little hard to use one handed for some things. A few issues I still need to work out. Help welcome!
1) I used the notes app to sync with gmail notes, since mail is always up on my mac. Several apps sync to google tasks or their own private web sync (most with desktop apps) but I dont want another app on my mac... I just want to sync with gmail notes. gnote claims to do it but the formatting is wrong and even if I fixed it, it wouldnt work with IOS devices if I used my ipad to update the note. I use notes a LOT so this is big issue for me to fix.

2) gmail app - I dont want to use it... just want to use one unified mail app, but so far I have not figured out how to turn it off. I would also like a better mail app... the one that came with the phone is a little weak... would like to be able to swipe left to go back to pref sreen, and easy way to get back to list of mailboxes. Also dont want to confirm to delete, and would like to report spam.

3) The music player is OK I guess, but when I quit it doesnt remember where I was. I use doubletwist to sync to my itunes but dont use the app on the phone. Maybe its good... just using the one that came with the phone for now.

4) Contacts sort by first name... I am sure this is simple (syncing with google account) - prob because thats the way it is in google... hmm...

Honestly thats about it. Battery is ok although sometimes something seems to run away. I had a full charge and it ran down to zero when I wasnt doing anything 2 days ago. Just left it sitting in the car. Sometimes it is very impressive but there is a bug or rouge app in there somewhere.

#2 - try K-9 email app. I think it will do some of what you want.

#3 - Try PlayerPro. Works great with your iTunes stuff - even displays star ratings etc. Will remember where you last played. Also has a nice widget and also a nice lock screen.

#4 - to list by last name go to "More" settings within Contacts > then Display Options > Display Contacts by "Family Name First"
hillucla is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hillucla For This Useful Post:
jeremylub (November 30th, 2011)
Old November 30th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #95 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male
Posts: 43
 
Device(s): Galaxty Note 2 on AT&T - 16gb Titanium Grey
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I will be an ex-iphone user as of tomorrow, can't wait for my skyrocket
AdamdangA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 12:47 PM   #96 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NorCal, just over the Golden Gate Bridge
Posts: 39
 
Device(s): Got Skyrocket 12/2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have been reading info on the Skyrocket for a lot of the last two days. Even though this thread is a week old, it is the one that pushes me over the edge. I just called the only salesman at AT&T who seems to know the phone. (Now I better stop reading or I'll chicken out.)
vracer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 04:44 PM   #97 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for that... helped a lot. I'll try K9 but I am working on just moving to gmail for all my emails, so I will just use the gmail app.

So how do I know what running services should be running and what I can kill? I dont like the idea of stuff running in the background without my approval Mainly for battery management. I have downloaded some apps that I dont even use yet and I see them running services. Also some of the ATT installed ones run - like socialhub - which I dont use.

I suspect some runaway processes, but twice I have had serious battery drains. First was a FULL charge - left it sitting in my car. Came back 3hrs later and it was dead. Second time went from 50% to dead in a couple hours. All in perfect service areas with good bars. Might be a bad handset, but I want to understand whats going on behind the scenes better.
jeremylub is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 06:07 PM   #98 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Total Newbie

About 5 times this week, I swore I'd never leave Apple for any other phone. When my iPhone 4 was lost/stolen last weekend, I was relieved to learn I could upgrade on December 1. I was going to get the $199 4s, but they were out of stock and I HAD to have a phone. I was looking at going back to another 4 for $99. The cashier had it halfway rung up when I picked up the demo Skyrocket and said, "What's the big deal with these things anyway?" 20 minutes later I walked out with a Skyrocket. I work in a school district that is totally Mac and I feel like I'm cheating on my spouse by not carrying an Apple product!

I'm very interested in many of the tips you guys have posted. Some of what you're talking about is above what I'm worried about at this point. I see there's a tutorial video in my materials that I'll go through tonight. I'm typically not one to read manuals, but I'm in over my head here. I've killed plenty of battery life in the past 24 hours playing with it, and now I have some questions to ask.

This is pretty basic, but pretty irritating: How can I configure my notification sounds for email? I see sounds under settings, but it just allows me to choose the tone. I don't want to be notified every time another piece of spam hits my Yahoo account and it's driving me crazy!

If someone could answer that for me, and maybe direct me to any "ground-level" tutorials, I'd appreciate it!
kimalgebra is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 09:32 PM   #99 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St Louis MO
Posts: 25
 
Device(s): Samsung Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimalgebra View Post
About 5 times this week, I swore I'd never leave Apple for any other phone. When my iPhone 4 was lost/stolen last weekend, I was relieved to learn I could upgrade on December 1. I was going to get the $199 4s, but they were out of stock and I HAD to have a phone. I was looking at going back to another 4 for $99. The cashier had it halfway rung up when I picked up the demo Skyrocket and said, "What's the big deal with these things anyway?" 20 minutes later I walked out with a Skyrocket. I work in a school district that is totally Mac and I feel like I'm cheating on my spouse by not carrying an Apple product!

I'm very interested in many of the tips you guys have posted. Some of what you're talking about is above what I'm worried about at this point. I see there's a tutorial video in my materials that I'll go through tonight. I'm typically not one to read manuals, but I'm in over my head here. I've killed plenty of battery life in the past 24 hours playing with it, and now I have some questions to ask.

This is pretty basic, but pretty irritating: How can I configure my notification sounds for email? I see sounds under settings, but it just allows me to choose the tone. I don't want to be notified every time another piece of spam hits my Yahoo account and it's driving me crazy!

If someone could answer that for me, and maybe direct me to any "ground-level" tutorials, I'd appreciate it!

Welcome to the SR! I felt the same way you did - like I was cheating on Apple. Now - I'm just enjoying my freedom.
To answer your question about the mail tone. If you are using the stock app that came with the phone - while you are in the app press the menu button. Select More, Account Settings, then scroll down to the notifications area. There is a section for tones. You should be able to turn it off from there.
FYI if you are a Yahoo email user (like me) there is a free yahoo app that works pretty well.
Good luck!
hillucla is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 11:36 PM   #100 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi All, I just picked up a skyrocket and switch the micro sim from my Iphone 4s. I dont have a micro sim adapter but I positioned the sim so that all the points connects. I am able to make calls and receive text however I an not getting any data connection. Can someone tell me if its simply because the sim is not in the right position and I need to get an adapter or does the LTE/4G connection require a different sim?
raskal311 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket is AT&T's version of the Galaxy S II LTE. As one can figure, the phone features 4G connectivity via AT&T's LTE network. It was among the first phones on the carrier's network to feature next-gen... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.