Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

Like Tree1Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 8th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 18
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Question iPhone 4S user making the switch - n00b questions

Hi all,

Traded my iPhone 4S yesterday for the Skyrocket and after some initial frustration (it's not necessarily intuitive) things are getting easier.

Example: I was told that you can put any media file and use it as ringtone but I figured out that it will not let me use the old iphone ringtones in .m4r format but wanted it in .mp3 (AFTER I had figured out that I needed to create the dang directory). Other one that got me that you had to 'mount' the phone via USB vs. just connecting it to the PC.

Some of the questions that are flustering me right now:

How the heck can I look at how much battery life I have left in% or other metrics? (vs. just the little pic on top).

It says I have 1.92 GB system storage. Experienced Android users here at work say that's not a lot and to guard it jealously. My question is this, if I have 11GB free - why can't I just up/extend the system storage by let's say an extra 2GB?

My home network does not assign automatic IP addresses, last night I spent an hour trying to figure out how to do that manually. Whenever I say modify network configuration, it just gives me the option to change password. Not to assign ip address, etc. I know it HAS to be possible... just can't figure out how.

What are some of the best music applications which I can use to transfer my music to the phone?

Does anyone know of a real good primer for Android?

Thanks a ton for this forum and all help!

Advertisements
Gertex is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 8th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 68
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

For the battery thing, download Elixir 2 and Elixir Widget. It lets you make customizable widgets, and one lets you view battery temp and battery percentage remaining. It's a very nifty, if not intuitive, app.
Jellz is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jellz For This Useful Post:
chidog1 (January 10th, 2012), doxielover (June 16th, 2012), Gertex (November 8th, 2011)
Old November 8th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 80
 
Device(s): Note 3, Gear 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Download a batter widget. Try "Battery Widget" in the market

Samsung Kies software will answer some questions about music tranfers. Its an similar to iTunes...

MP3 Ringtone app will allow you to crop any song on your phone into a ringtone.

I switched from a iPhone 3Gs a few weeks ago BTW...
BlackZenith is offline  
Last edited by BlackZenith; November 8th, 2011 at 12:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackZenith For This Useful Post:
chidog1 (January 10th, 2012), Gertex (November 8th, 2011)
Old November 8th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 18
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Okay, I just found the Kies software you referred me too, however it says this is not for this phone (It's the latest version 2.1.0.11095_121).

Anyone have an idea where to find a proper version?
Gertex is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gertex For This Useful Post:
Old November 8th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 80
 
Device(s): Note 3, Gear 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

I have Kies version 2.0.3.11082_152
The phone shows up as SGH-I727.

When I started up the program it did request to update itself... I declined in light of your posting...
BlackZenith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 9
 
Device(s): AT&T Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertex View Post
Hi all,

My home network does not assign automatic IP addresses, last night I spent an hour trying to figure out how to do that manually. Whenever I say modify network configuration, it just gives me the option to change password. Not to assign ip address, etc. I know it HAS to be possible... just can't figure out how.


Thanks a ton for this forum and all help!
I understand your frustration, when I switched form Iphone to android I had to have a time of adaptation, but now I would not go back for anything!!

for your problem, go to settings - wireless and network - wi-fi settings - use the properties button (right bottom) and click advanced - check "use static ip" and fill nyour ip, gateway...

Have fun
floppy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 28
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellz View Post
For the battery thing, download Elixir 2 and Elixir Widget. It lets you make customizable widgets, and one lets you view battery temp and battery percentage remaining. It's a very nifty, if not intuitive, app.
i use widgetsoid for the same purpose. can give you lots of customizable widgets.
propsizzle is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to propsizzle For This Useful Post:
doxielover (June 16th, 2012)
Old November 9th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 37
 
Device(s): Droid X Apex 1.4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hate to say it.

I had the iPhone 4s since its launch. Yesterday I bought the skyrocket. I already returned the skyrocket. The original gs2 is much better than the skyrocket.

On the skyrocket the screen looks terrible. Brightness always changes even with auto off. Phone is laggy.

Camera is terrible compared to iPhone.
lobster1982 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 80
 
Device(s): Note 3, Gear 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobster1982 View Post
Hate to say it.

I had the iPhone 4s since its launch. Yesterday I bought the skyrocket. I already returned the skyrocket. The original gs2 is much better than the skyrocket.

On the skyrocket the screen looks terrible. Brightness always changes even with auto off. Phone is laggy.

Camera is terrible compared to iPhone.
Ha! thanks guy, I needed a good laugh
Thanks for stopping by lol
BlackZenith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 159
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobster1982 View Post
Hate to say it.

I had the iPhone 4s since its launch. Yesterday I bought the skyrocket. I already returned the skyrocket. The original gs2 is much better than the skyrocket.

On the skyrocket the screen looks terrible. Brightness always changes even with auto off. Phone is laggy.

Camera is terrible compared to iPhone.
i haven't experienced any of these problems. perhaps you got a bad egg? i admit that the screen isn't bright enough for me with auto-brightness on. since i turned it off i have no complaints. i haven't noticed any lag problems but i am using launcher pro instead of touchwiz. i like the camera more than i did on my ogs2, but i'll agree it's hard to beat the iphone it that area (even though i LOVE my skyrocket camera so far)
patch321 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 37
 
Device(s): Droid X Apex 1.4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I had the Samsung galaxy s2, epic 4g touch before the iPhone 4s and it was WAY nicer than the skyrocket.

On the skyrocket shit just lags and sometimes doesnt work. Try using the option "auto fit text to page" for the web browser. Doesn't work lol. Worked on the epic 4g touch.

In the browser hit menu, screen will get brighter. Once you exit the menu it's dim and ugly
lobster1982 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 9
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Skyrocket learning curve

Five days with the Skyrocket after coming from iPhone 4

What I like:
screen is amazing! (size and colors)
Widgets
What I don't like:
losing data connection periodically
worrying about what is running and thus burning my battery
battery life in general
general feeling of OS clunkiness/instability
lack of cases/accessories (I know this will come with time, but never equal iPhone levels)
I know some of this is just a lack of familiarity and experience with the platform both hardware/software.

I am wavering on the purchase at this point in time. With so many other iPhones in my household, not sure if I should be 'rocking the boat'. I am not yet in a LTE market (although it should be here by EOY) so I do not appreciate the LTE speeds. If a large screen iPhone had come out, I would probably have that device right now.

I'll stick with it for a while longer. Thoughts? Encouragement? Reccomendations? Please don't flame me.
Hermanator is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 190
 
Device(s): HTC EVO
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Default

I have had pretty good battery life on my phone, but the larger screen probably will use up more power than the iphone screen, if that's what you're comparing it to.

Think of it this way, soon you will have LTE AND Ice Cream Sandwich on your device!
jbsg02 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 12:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 18
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I'm in the same boat... However, I returned the 4S for this phone. So now I can't switch until my contract is up in 2 years or i buy a new phone outright.

Honestly, there is a HUGE learning curve but every day its getting better. It was the same when we first got on the iphone bandwaggon.

Battery life is not as good as the 3GS but as good as the 4S. Ever since ios5 my battery life sucked on the iphone. Here is a novel idea though, buy a spare for $20-30 and just switch them out... Yeah, can't do that on the iphone!

This phone is just so much more customizable and slowly but surely I'm moving in.

Found a cool little app called DGT GTD which is a to do planner that syncs with toodledo and is free.

Still kind of lost when it comes to understanding all the themes, live backgrounds etc. that you can put on it and where to get them.

Maybe we can create a post on what cool apps we found and share tips and tricks? Help each other to bring the learning curve down?
Gertex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 09:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So I just switched from the iPhone 4 to the skyrocket yesterday and so far I'm liking it. There is a pretty big learning curve for somebody who has never had an Android device before but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.

One of the biggest reasons I made the switch is because I know that this phone is supposed to get ice cream sandwich at some point. Does anybody know roughly when we might be getting it?
Cowboy8467 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 09:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default Ex iPhone users support, tips, and overall new experience thread

I created this thread with the idea of kinda uniting the ex iPhone users community and at the same time, use it as a way for all of us to share our new experience with android. Feel free to post anything cool (Apps, tricks) that you might discover along the way for the rest of us to try. Also feel free to vent out about what you like or dislike about your new phone and OS as opposed to the old one. My idea is to have an overall friendly thread here guys no flaming, lets just help eachother out
Diesel82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Diesel82 For This Useful Post:
chidog1 (January 10th, 2012), doxielover (June 16th, 2012), emngio (December 27th, 2011), Lusst (May 3rd, 2012), pbnemaf (February 7th, 2012)
Old November 11th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertex View Post
I'm in the same boat... However, I returned the 4S for this phone. So now I can't switch until my contract is up in 2 years or i buy a new phone outright.

Honestly, there is a HUGE learning curve but every day its getting better. It was the same when we first got on the iphone bandwaggon.

Battery life is not as good as the 3GS but as good as the 4S. Ever since ios5 my battery life sucked on the iphone. Here is a novel idea though, buy a spare for $20-30 and just switch them out... Yeah, can't do that on the iphone!

This phone is just so much more customizable and slowly but surely I'm moving in.

Found a cool little app called DGT GTD which is a to do planner that syncs with toodledo and is free.

Still kind of lost when it comes to understanding all the themes, live backgrounds etc. that you can put on it and where to get them.

Maybe we can create a post on what cool apps we found and share tips and tricks? Help each other to bring the learning curve down?
I just created a thread for that
Diesel82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

hey guys, bear with me since the skyrocket is my first andriod phone, switch from a blackberry. I know on my friends htc EVO he can copy and paste fb status from his app, i tried the same thing and it doesnt work? any idea how? can you do it on the skyrocket at all? any help is appreciated..
gunnerz101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 25
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

The only learning curve I can't seem to master is the keyboard. I can type fast with the iPhone keyboard but finding myself constantly having to hit the back space key... or the spacebar when i meant to hit the keys above the spacebar.
vpkb1998 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 27
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

You should try SwiftKey. I came from an iphone and this is much better.
dmunjal is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 14th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Actually I since the first day I started using the "Samsung " keyboard and was having a hard time then I switched the android one and and to me the difference is night and day for some reason it feels a lot like the iPhone one, so at least its worked for me
Diesel82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #22 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks! I just flipped from an iPhone 3GS and am loving the Skyrocket! Of course there were a few things I got a little worried about at first, but as I figure out the equivalent functionality on the Skyrocket, things actually work better than on my old iPhone. Connecting Bluetooth to my car stereo, for example, took me awhile to figure out, but once I did, I was able to send contacts to the stereo via bluetooth....I could never do that on the iPhone (not with my stereo anyway). Discovering a few things like that everyday. I've only had the Skyrocket a little over 2 days now, but so far, all is well!
snowdog84 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 28
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

i, too, came from a 3GS. i was waiting for the "iphone 5" and when all we got was a 4S, i went to the S2, then to the skyrocket for LTE. very happy overall.

best thing about android is the level of customization that's possible. you can customize just about everything... custom launchers, custom UI, widgets, custom ROMs, custom kernels. it's amazing what's available to you.

plus, LTE is screaming fast. i like that.
propsizzle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #24 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by propsizzle View Post
i, too, came from a 3GS. i was waiting for the "iphone 5" and when all we got was a 4S, i went to the S2, then to the skyrocket for LTE. very happy overall.

best thing about android is the level of customization that's possible. you can customize just about everything... custom launchers, custom UI, widgets, custom ROMs, custom kernels. it's amazing what's available to you.

plus, LTE is screaming fast. i like that.
You're right the level of customization is amazing compared to the iphone and I think its superior in many ways, although I'm still getting used to it. Of course there are some areas where I think the iPhone does better.
Diesel82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

There are pro's and con's of both phones. There is very little that compares to apple when it comes to integration with their devices. The down side of apple is they want everything you do to be done their way.
SteveISU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
There are pro's and con's of both phones. There is very little that compares to apple when it comes to integration with their devices. The down side of apple is they want everything you do to be done their way.
Agreed 100%
Diesel82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 35
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I have a Ford truck with Sync and I really like the fact that while I am connected via bluetooth that I still can hear notifications for email or text. With the iPhone all the notifications were muted when connected via bluetooth.
jetmechG550 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #28 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I got an iphone keyboard from an app. I hated the keyboards that can on this. And I think this one is even better than the iphone cuz its bigger.
TheTurtleMan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #29 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I had the iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4, and the iPhone 4s for 2 weeks. I love my Sky Rocket, the screen is great, it feels great in my hand and so awesome to have a phone that doesn't cramp my hand when I text, type, or play games.

Little disappointed with some of the connectivity issues, and it feels like some apps (vevo) don't have dedicated data feed on the android device?

Also, can anyone tell me how to get a movie on the phone? I thought it would be easy with doubletwist, but the "digital copy" is a pain to get onto the phone. Is it even possible?

Thanks for any suggestions or tips in advance. I will continue reseaching this forum.
jdizzy8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 110
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 39 Times in 34 Posts
Default

^^^ with my vivid i just connected it to the computer, went into computer and accesed the phone. Put the4 video file in there somewhere in the media folder. The phone figured it out and the movie was there when all was said and done.
92hatchattack is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 16th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #31 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92hatchattack View Post
^^^ with my vivid i just connected it to the computer, went into computer and accesed the phone. Put the4 video file in there somewhere in the media folder. The phone figured it out and the movie was there when all was said and done.
This was the first thing I tried and I kept getting "acquiring license" message and it never played. Are you using the "free digital copy" that comes with your bluray or a movie you ripped?

Thanks
jdizzy8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #32 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 18
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Which iphone keyboard did you download and where?

Thanks!
Gertex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default

What are.some.of the best themes and launchers you guys have found on the app market? Ww
Diesel82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #34 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1
 
Device(s): Samsung Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ex iPhone user. I picked up a Samsung Skyrocket recently and have been getting used to it ever since. I figured with a grandfathered data plan, I should be using 4G to its potential.

My biggest issues so far with the phone is media related (and maybe some of you know the answers to these problems)

1. The music applications do not get that loud in general. When I plug my phone into an AUX plug, I have to crank up my in-car volume along with maxing the Android media volume.

2. Another music issue, as each track changes, there is a crackle. It also crackles and freaks out when I disconnect my phone from an AUX port to answer a call (the music switches between a psuedo stereo/phone mix instead of a smooth transition and pause I had with the iPhone.

3. I have tried Winamp, PowerAMP, MIUI, etc. and all have been less than satisfactory.

4. Also, I haven't been able to find a program that works best with my phone for music and album art. I am on a PC. Should I be using MediaMonkey or Songibrd?

Apart from the media issues I love the phone, but these issues are big for me since I use the options so often.

Thanks fellas!
relativculture is offline  
Last edited by relativculture; November 16th, 2011 at 08:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 05:18 AM   #35 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by relativculture View Post
Ex iPhone user. I picked up a Samsung Skyrocket recently and have been getting used to it ever since. I figured with a grandfathered data plan, I should be using 4G to its potential.

My biggest issues so far with the phone is media related (and maybe some of you know the answers to these problems)

1. The music applications do not get that loud in general. When I plug my phone into an AUX plug, I have to crank up my in-car volume along with maxing the Android media volume.

2. Another music issue, as each track changes, there is a crackle. It also crackles and freaks out when I disconnect my phone from an AUX port to answer a call (the music switches between a psuedo stereo/phone mix instead of a smooth transition and pause I had with the iPhone.

3. I have tried Winamp, PowerAMP, MIUI, etc. and all have been less than satisfactory.

4. Also, I haven't been able to find a program that works best with my phone for music and album art. I am on a PC. Should I be using MediaMonkey or Songibrd?

Apart from the media issues I love the phone, but these issues are big for me since I use the options so often.

Thanks fellas!
Hi and welcome!
I have the same issues with mine and I thought it's because I have a crappy car.with a crappy stereo lol for me it hasnt been that bad since with.the iPhone I never did this, yeah I think that the overall smoothnes of the iPhone OS is hard to find in any other phone.
Diesel82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #36 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=Gertex;3474682]Which iphone keyboard did you download and where?


I went to.the app market and typed : iPhone keyboard and saw one that looks just like.tthe iPhone one ill.download try it out and get back to you
Diesel82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 07:37 AM   #37 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I downladed one called ai type it's awesome its main keyboard is great and the iphone one is awesome I likes
Diesel82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #38 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel82 View Post
Hi and welcome!
I have the same issues with mine and I thought it's because I have a crappy car.with a crappy stereo lol for me it hasnt been that bad since with.the iPhone I never did this, yeah I think that the overall smoothnes of the iPhone OS is hard to find in any other phone.

I don't think anyone will match the smoothness of iPhone. It's hard to do since they control every aspect of the phone (hardware and software). Samsung, HTC, Motorola just keep pumping out handsets left and right pumping up the hardware specs, while the software development doesn't move anywhere near the same pace and has no chance at catching up.
SteveISU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #39 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
I don't think anyone will match the smoothness of iPhone. It's hard to do since they control every aspect of the phone (hardware and software). Samsung, HTC, Motorola just keep pumping out handsets left and right pumping up the hardware specs, while the software development doesn't move anywhere near the same pace and has no chance at catching up.
I agree and maybe some of these oems should stop and consider working on this because as much as im loving my new android phone for all the cool things it does the my iphone didn't, the user interface is one big drawback and an area where they def need to improve.
Diesel82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #40 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel82 View Post
I agree and maybe some of these oems should stop and consider working on this because as much as im loving my new android phone for all the cool things it does the my iphone didn't, the user interface is one big drawback and an area where they def need to improve.

Unfortunately that's not their MO. They wow by packing in the hardware specs to capture new users and people upgrading, leaving everyone who bought their last phone 6 weeks ago in the dust. With android, you have to like the phone for what it does/is, not what you hope it becomes or is rumored to become. Plenty have been burned by the rumor mill.
SteveISU is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 17th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #41 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
Unfortunately that's not their MO. They wow by packing in the hardware specs to capture new users and people upgrading, leaving everyone who bought their last phone 6 weeks ago in the dust. With android, you have to like the phone for what it does/is, not what you hope it becomes or is rumored to become. Plenty have been burned by the rumor mill.
Thats why I went out and bought a phone I really like cus I know that in a couple of mobths a newer "shinnier" one with better specs will come out, like the thing on att. Where they came out with the original galaxy s2 and less than a month later they came out with the skyrocket, kinda like the same deal at verizon, first the droid bionic and shortly after the droid razor. Its crazy. But hey its all about the green.
Diesel82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #42 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Notification sounds question.. New to android

I just switched over from an iPhone 3g to the samsung skyrocket and love the thing so far..One thing that is bothering me is I would like to have a different notification sound for when I receive and email and also a text. Right now it is the same sound for both. Anyway around this? I would like to be able to differentiate the two if I am away from the phone. Now if I am actually on the phone and on it at the time a email comes in they have different sounds. But if the phone is idle just laying next to me it will go off and I can't tell if I have an email or a text..Or am I just being picky?
wyattroa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #43 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I go to sounds and notifications but there is just one overall option for notifications..Any other tips?
wyattroa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 190
 
Device(s): HTC EVO
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Default

You can go into the email app and select a ringtone that is different than your default one, you can also do the same in the messaging app
jbsg02 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #45 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsg02 View Post
You can go into the email app and select a ringtone that is different than your default one, you can also do the same in the messaging app
I have done that, but when the phone is off in the black screen the notification sound always takes precedence over any other notification sound assigned to the others on my phone and I can't turn off just the one notification so I can only hear the assigned text and email sounds. Starting to get really annoyed.
wyattroa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 01:25 AM   #46 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr. Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 6,675
 
Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
I have done that, but when the phone is off in the black screen the notification sound always takes precedence over any other notification sound assigned to the others on my phone and I can't turn off just the one notification so I can only hear the assigned text and email sounds. Starting to get really annoyed.
specifically what apps are you using.

you need to disable notifications in the stock apps you are not using.

for instance...

if you are using a text app like chomp sms or handcent ...you need to turn off notifications in the stock app

open the stock messaging app.menu.settings.notifications (something along those lines)

uncheck notifications.

that should kill your double notification
__________________
I'm back....
Mr. Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #47 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 25
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

2X on ai type keyboard. My typing is a lot more accurate now. Theres a warning about this type of apps collecting your data as you type though, but i took the risk anyway.
vpkb1998 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #48 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
specifically what apps are you using.

you need to disable notifications in the stock apps you are not using.

for instance...

if you are using a text app like chomp sms or handcent ...you need to turn off notifications in the stock app

open the stock messaging app.menu.settings.notifications (something along those lines)

uncheck notifications.

that should kill your double notification
I called samsung yesterday and they confirmed there is no way around it...They worked with me for half hour and 3 people on their end with the phone in their hands. The phone is made this way. The notification setting off the home screen will always override all the other sounds except for the ring tone. There is no way to turn off the notification sound off of the home screen where you can get to the settings, the only option is silent and if this is chosen you wont get any notice whatsoever.... So pretty much personalized text sounds and email sounds are obsolete. So dumb..The only peronalized sound you can have is the notification sound in the home screen settings. But, if the phone is lit up and on, the sounds and songs that are assigned to the email and text messages will play. They just wont when the screen is dark and this is where the override comes into play with the main notification setting of the phone from the home screen. people want customization..I could not do this with my 3g iphone and now I can't with this phone? are you kidding me?
wyattroa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #49 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr. Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 6,675
 
Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
I called samsung yesterday and they confirmed there is no way around it...They worked with me for half hour and 3 people on their end with the phone in their hands. The phone is made this way. The notification setting off the home screen will always override all the other sounds except for the ring tone. There is no way to turn off the notification sound off of the home screen where you can get to the settings, the only option is silent and if this is chosen you wont get any notice whatsoever.... So pretty much personalized text sounds and email sounds are obsolete. So dumb..The only peronalized sound you can have is the notification sound in the home screen settings. But, if the phone is lit up and on, the sounds and songs that are assigned to the email and text messages will play. They just wont when the screen is dark and this is where the override comes into play with the main notification setting of the phone from the home screen. people want customization..I could not do this with my 3g iphone and now I can't with this phone? are you kidding me?
Please clarify exactly what you wish to do. The information you received is not incorrect. Stock android is a base, that is limited. Other applications add functionality

I can make suggestions but I need to know EXACTLY what you are trying to accomplish
Mr. Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #50 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
Please clarify exactly what you wish to do. The information you received is not incorrect. Stock android is a base, that is limited. Other applications add functionality

I can make suggestions but I need to know EXACTLY what you are trying to accomplish
Texting client I am using is GO SMS Pro

I am trying to have it so that the sounds I assigned to my text messages (funny laugh sound as an example) and emails (a farting noise) will come through when the screen is black. But, they never do. They only come through when the screen is lit up. On to the next part, this is where I think most people might be getting confused.

When you are on the home screen on the skyrocket you can go to settings>sound>notification ringtone. From this tab, you have choices of silent and then sounds, but no off. If you have it on silent, no notification noise will come through, the funny laugh of the text or the fart noise of the email. Now if you have a sound chosen for this notification tab, which is the only other option besides for silent, say you pick (ringing bell). If the screen is black instead of hearing the assigned texting tone of (funny laugh), that notification tab takes over and the sound (ringing bell) will be played. The same with emails, a (farting noise) should come through, but instead the (ringing bell) comes through. So if my phone is across the room I have no way to differentiate if someone is trying to get ahold of me or if I just got an email.

Now if the screen is lit up and a text comes through the (funny laugh) will play and if a email comes through the (farting noise) will play.
wyattroa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket is AT&T's version of the Galaxy S II LTE. As one can figure, the phone features 4G connectivity via AT&T's LTE network. It was among the first phones on the carrier's network to feature next-gen... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.