Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 14th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 20
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default Vertical Stripes on Skyrocket Display??

IPhone 3gs covert to ogsgs2 which I then returned for the skyrocket. Question about the screen: I see what appears to be faint vertical stripes on the display which is very noticeable on solid colored backgrounds in webpages or YouTube vids. Its almost as if the resolution is stretched so thin on this 4.5 inch screen. I didn't notice this on the ogsgs2 and was wondering if others were seeing this also. Wondering if I need to run this one back to BB.

Otherwise loving the new phone and the android way of things...awesome to be able to customize.

Thnx for the help.

bhype1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 14th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

YES! I have noticed this as well. It's mostly an issue if your screen brightness is almost all the way down and you are in a low light area. If you jump your brightness a little bit it will solve the issue. I thought I was the only one who saw this. The guy at Best Buy Mobile took forever to even see it. I had a GS2 for 28 days before this phone came out and didn't see this on that phone.

Overall, I'm pretty pissed with the data connection issues and screen on this phone. I'd return it but apparently you get 30 days total from the original date of purchase. So now I'm stuck with this phone.
amill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 20
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amill View Post
YES! I have noticed this as well. It's mostly an issue if your screen brightness is almost all the way down and you are in a low light area. If you jump your brightness a little bit it will solve the issue. I thought I was the only one who saw this. The guy at Best Buy Mobile took forever to even see it. I had a GS2 for 28 days before this phone came out and didn't see this on that phone.
Thnx for the reply. I did notice this effect was minimized when screen brightness is increased although its still pretty noticeable while watching YouTube vids with dark backgrounds and such. Bummer. Second guessing my decision now. Might think about returning for the Vivid or back to gs2. I've got a few days to decide as my original purchase date was 10/17.

Only grip other than screen is the keyboard. I miss fire often. Any recommendations for a solid keyboard app appreciated.
bhype1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 103
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhype1 View Post
Thnx for the reply. I did notice this effect was minimized when screen brightness is increased although its still pretty noticeable while watching YouTube vids with dark backgrounds and such. Bummer. Second guessing my decision now. Might think about returning for the Vivid or back to gs2. I've got a few days to decide as my original purchase date was 10/17.

Only grip other than screen is the keyboard. I miss fire often. Any recommendations for a solid keyboard app appreciated.

use swype, it's preloaded on the skyrocket
BKayrac is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr. Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 6,675
 
Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhype1 View Post
Thnx for the reply. I did notice this effect was minimized when screen brightness is increased although its still pretty noticeable while watching YouTube vids with dark backgrounds and such. Bummer. Second guessing my decision now. Might think about returning for the Vivid or back to gs2. I've got a few days to decide as my original purchase date was 10/17.

Only grip other than screen is the keyboard. I miss fire often. Any recommendations for a solid keyboard app appreciated.
I knew I was not crazy...the screen calibration is off (worse in landscape mode)

I have not seen the lines consitantly but every low light video has them

I have the time today that I can transfer them to the PC and see if it is the video or the screen.
__________________
I'm back....
Mr. Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhype1 View Post
IPhone 3gs covert to ogsgs2 which I then returned for the skyrocket. Question about the screen: I see what appears to be faint vertical stripes on the display which is very noticeable on solid colored backgrounds in webpages or YouTube vids. Its almost as if the resolution is stretched so thin on this 4.5 inch screen. I didn't notice this on the ogsgs2 and was wondering if others were seeing this also. Wondering if I need to run this one back to BB.

Otherwise loving the new phone and the android way of things...awesome to be able to customize.

Thnx for the help.
So I can still trust my eyes, I thought I was the only one. I want this phone so badly and having this screen issue is a huge disappointment. *Sigh*
Chardnsx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I've had my skyrocket for 3 days now and I will be packing it up tomorrow in hopes of getting one without the bleed through issue. Glad I'm not the only one who notices these things.
Redraider3403 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr. Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 6,675
 
Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraider3403 View Post
I've had my skyrocket for 3 days now and I will be packing it up tomorrow in hopes of getting one without the bleed through issue. Glad I'm not the only one who notices these things.
They all have the issue
Mr. Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male
Posts: 43
 
Device(s): Galaxty Note 2 on AT&T - 16gb Titanium Grey
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

How bad is this, I am going to pick up a skyrocket tomorrow and I really want to make sure I am not making a mistake. I will be switching from and iPhone 4, I really like samsung's style and the customizations you can make with Android. But if the screen bites Ill have a hard time with that
AdamdangA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 10:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr. Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 6,675
 
Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts
Default

as requested


full brightness


closer at full brightness


min


a little closer


another one for grins


and this one at 30%ish
Mr. Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 7th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default AT&T Corp. Store Confirms Skyrocket Screen Defect

Yesterday @ a local San Francisco AT&T corporate store I got confirmation from both a sales person & a tech person of a screen defect that is present in both my Galaxy SII Skyrocket & another Skyrocket at the store.

The defect is only perceptible in very low light room conditions, viewing dark content. For example we viewed the black screen streaming the opening credits of Apocalypto in an adjacent room w/ the lights off & only ambient light from a couple of monitors; but it is visible w/ any content in the viewing conditions mentioned.

When holding the screen in landscape view w/ the Samsung logo on the right, a thin black vertical line appears about an inch or so from the right side of the screen. There are also small black blotches & another black line running vertically along the left side of the screen. When noticed they become VERY obvious & visible, especially as your eyes become accustomed to the dark; about a minute or so.

The tech person had no record of any complaints or notices from Samsung. It appeared obvious to all of us there that the IDENTICAL DEFECTS appearing in 2 completely seperate Skyrockets means this is most probably a defect common to ALL Skyrocket screens & simply replacing the unit wouldn't solve anything.

Please check your Skyrockets & if confirmed contact & report this issue to the seller & Samsung. Don't hesitate to go down & demonstrate the defects to the store as once its pointed out its very obvious & impossible to deny. If this is truelly a screen defect the only resolution would be an acknowledgment from Samsung & a screen fix & product replacement for all such Skyrockets. This will only happen w/ enough complaints & pressure to resolve this problem.
NoWalls is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Moderati ergo sum
 
lunatic59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 23,724
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Galaxy S II, Captivate, Nexus 1 (retired), Nook Color, Asus Transformer.
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 7,582
Thanked 12,256 Times in 6,736 Posts
Default

It could also be a bad lot of screens or assembly mistakes make on a certain day that slipped by QC. If that were the case it would affect a large number of phones in a small area of a particular distribution hub. The best way to confirm if it's universal or localized would be for other Skyrocket owners from other areas with serial numbers out of your sequence to be able to repeat the screen problems.

It would be a shame if it was a problem on all skyrockets.
__________________
_
If the information is useful, Like the post, if the person was helpful, Thank the member.
RULES: Lest we forget | This part of signature intentionally left blank.
_________________________________________________

No Ivory-Billed Woodpeckers were harmed in the composition of this message.
lunatic59 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr. Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 6,675
 
Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWalls View Post
Yesterday @ a local San Francisco AT&T corporate store I got confirmation from both a sales person & a tech person of a screen defect that is present in both my Galaxy SII Skyrocket & another Skyrocket at the store.

The defect is only perceptible in very low light room conditions, viewing dark content. For example we viewed the black screen streaming the opening credits of Apocalypto in an adjacent room w/ the lights off & only ambient light from a couple of monitors; but it is visible w/ any content in the viewing conditions mentioned.

When holding the screen in landscape view w/ the Samsung logo on the right, a thin black vertical line appears about an inch or so from the right side of the screen. There are also small black blotches & another black line running vertically along the left side of the screen. When noticed they become VERY obvious & visible, especially as your eyes become accustomed to the dark; about a minute or so.

The tech person had no record of any complaints or notices from Samsung. It appeared obvious to all of us there that the IDENTICAL DEFECTS appearing in 2 completely seperate Skyrockets means this is most probably a defect common to ALL Skyrocket screens & simply replacing the unit wouldn't solve anything.

Please check your Skyrockets & if confirmed contact & report this issue to the seller & Samsung. Don't hesitate to go down & demonstrate the defects to the store as once its pointed out its very obvious & impossible to deny. If this is truelly a screen defect the only resolution would be an acknowledgment from Samsung & a screen fix & product replacement for all such Skyrockets. This will only happen w/ enough complaints & pressure to resolve this problem.
I am currently trying to get a local unit with the defect to show to Samsung personally here in Dallas. Unfortunately I took mine back and I am waiting on a white one. I have now had 3 black ones with the issue, and held approximately another 8 in my hand with the issue.

When pointing it out to local ATT stores and Best buy they claim the issue is related to the screen design and is not a flaw. (as mentioned in the other thread here and elsewhere the skyrocket is not the only device that has the issue, the epic touch and tmobile versions have it as well)
Mr. Ed is offline  
Last edited by Mr. Ed; December 7th, 2011 at 12:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: London Ontario Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 757
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Rogers

Thanks: 40
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

oh boo hoo. Its a defect that 99.6 % of users will never ever notice. I noticed it slightly last night while using Waze with the night mode on. screen looks great over all.
spikeithard is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spikeithard For This Useful Post:
Midiman (January 5th, 2012)
Old December 7th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 84
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

not to rain on anyone's parade, but the problem isn't getting the store clerks to notice the problem, it's calling the att customer service and getting them to make a note of it. i did it last time, and they were trying to help me with it but never did anything. when i called 3times in a row, they finally said they'll make an additional note and look into it, which means they still won't do anything
gmoney5588 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

AT&T & Samsung demand 100% payment for their products. Anyone who doesn't DEMAND a 100% defect free product is a FOOL.

After forking over your hard earned money for a brand new product w/ a REAL defect & just dismissing it as an insignificant issue is really just playing the FOOL'S ROLE.

You have the right to DEMAND that a brand new product is defect free. It is the manufacturer who MUST address ANY DEFECT ISSUES.
NoWalls is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I have two black spots on my screen and you are right...they can only be seen at an angle when the screen is off...i am going to try and have warranty replace my skyrocket as soon as i am done with finals...
i have to say...im pretty disappointed with samsung...i thought this would be the product to save me from apple...although i despise that company...samsung is really not impressing me with the quality of their phones...which apple usually comes through with....

this is not the end of my problems list...add this to the random data disconnections and my at&t store rep telling me theres no special 4 g card and this proves to be a very disappointing experience all together
docintraining is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr. Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 6,675
 
Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by docintraining View Post
I have two black spots on my screen and you are right...they can only be seen at an angle when the screen is off...i am going to try and have warranty replace my skyrocket as soon as i am done with finals...
i have to say...im pretty disappointed with samsung...i thought this would be the product to save me from apple...although i despise that company...samsung is really not impressing me with the quality of their phones...which apple usually comes through with....

this is not the end of my problems list...add this to the random data disconnections and my at&t store rep telling me theres no special 4 g card and this proves to be a very disappointing experience all together
manufacturing defects are going to happen, regardless of brand. Take the 4gs for example. There are STRONG rumors that there is a major battery issue on the first released batch and that those users may in fact receive a battery upgrade in the future.

The problem with the screen issue is that the populous that experience the issue have not presented it to the proper people for anything to be done about it. I am working on that, unfortunately the first of our two white ones came in last night and it is flawless. The difference in the two screens is actually quite amazing.

As for your data issue, the need for a 4g sim is debatable however we have determined that your account MUST be provisioned by att for LTE. If it has not been re provisioned, you will have data connectivity issues
Mr. Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
manufacturing defects are going to happen, regardless of brand. Take the 4gs for example. There are STRONG rumors that there is a major battery issue on the first released batch and that those users may in fact receive a battery upgrade in the future.

The problem with the screen issue is that the populous that experience the issue have not presented it to the proper people for anything to be done about it. I am working on that, unfortunately the first of our two white ones came in last night and it is flawless. The difference in the two screens is actually quite amazing.

As for your data issue, the need for a 4g sim is debatable however we have determined that your account MUST be provisioned by att for LTE. If it has not been re provisioned, you will have data connectivity issues
i think the collection of all the issues has just made me feel bad about the phone...i ran all of the screen diagnostics and the splotches do not show up UNLESS the screen is off and you are looking from an angle so no functional defect there....

the thing about the data connection problems is the rep at the store said i was under the 4g unlimited plan according to their records but they still denied the existence of a 4g sim card...and hence...i have to reboot my phone at the most random times maybe once in 2 days? very annoying
docintraining is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr. Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 6,675
 
Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by docintraining View Post
i think the collection of all the issues has just made me feel bad about the phone...i ran all of the screen diagnostics and the splotches do not show up UNLESS the screen is off and you are looking from an angle so no functional defect there....

the thing about the data connection problems is the rep at the store said i was under the 4g unlimited plan according to their records but they still denied the existence of a 4g sim card...and hence...i have to reboot my phone at the most random times maybe once in 2 days? very annoying
4g unlimited and LTE unlimited are two different plans.

and yes, there is a
3g SIM
4g SIM
and an LTE SIM , it's been documented all over the web though we have by process of elimination determined all you have to do is call ATT and have them re provision your phone for the LTE plan.
Mr. Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 10th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NorCal, just over the Golden Gate Bridge
Posts: 39
 
Device(s): Got Skyrocket 12/2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
yes, there is a
3g SIM
4g SIM
and an LTE SIM , it's been documented all over the web though we have by process of elimination determined all you have to do is call ATT and have them re provision your phone for the LTE plan.
There is an LTE plan? I'm in an area with strong hspa signal (In fact I'm staying with AT&T rather than switch to Verizon's phones with LTE that are presently receiving that signal in my area). I thought I got the LTE signal/service anytime I wandered into an area that had it.
vracer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr. Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 6,675
 
Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vracer View Post
There is an LTE plan? I'm in an area with strong hspa signal (In fact I'm staying with AT&T rather than switch to Verizon's phones with LTE that are presently receiving that signal in my area). I thought I got the LTE signal/service anytime I wandered into an area that had it.
You may....but connectivity will be random.

The plan has to be provisioned for LTE on their end and most retail outlets are not ensuring that this happens. They are simply popping in the users old SD card
Mr. Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr. Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 6,675
 
Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts
Default

new phones 4 and 5



I prefer what we got from phone 4 and 5 (both white) over what the previous 3 were shown below.

Mr. Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Any updates here? My phone (SGS2LTE) appears to have the same issue, but I'm not 100% sure. It has the exact issue described above while playing a dark video, but the menus and everything else look fine. If I compare the same video content on my phone to my wife's Infuse 4g, the dark portion of the video looks perfectly uniform and fantastic on her phone, but on mine it has the black line described above and splotches everywhere and generally looks like garbage in comparison to the Infuse.

The post above seems to indicate that the issue can be seen in the menus, but I don't see it there... just in video content.
jimbodean is offline  
Last edited by jimbodean; December 12th, 2011 at 07:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 03:38 AM   #25 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am curious, bhype, what did you do to fix this issue if anything at all?
Araidis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 08:04 AM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr. Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 6,675
 
Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araidis View Post
I am curious, bhype, what did you do to fix this issue if anything at all?
I returned the defective ones.

A guy on xda just sent his in to Samsung for screen replacement...we will see what happens
Mr. Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #27 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 11
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWalls View Post
Anyone who doesn't DEMAND a 100% defect free product is a FOOL.
what planet are you from? Name me one single product that is 100% defect free. My phone has lots of nit noid issues. The battery level indicator if flakey, my hotspot app icon seems to randomly appear and disappear. Occasionally apps crash for no apparent reason. None of these substantially impact the phones operation or annoy me to the point of wanting a refund. Every high tech gadget I've ever owned has some sort of minor flaw to it. I tried a Bionic before I bought the skyrocket and it had a terrible LTE/3G radio issue they just seem to be getting around to addressing. I couldn't stand that one so I returned the phone. Butim not going to call people who seemed to be able to tolerate that flaw "fools".
jondrew is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr. Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 6,675
 
Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
what planet are you from? Name me one single product that is 100% defect free. My phone has lots of nit noid issues. The battery level indicator if flakey, my hotspot app icon seems to randomly appear and disappear. Occasionally apps crash for no apparent reason. None of these substantially impact the phones operation or annoy me to the point of wanting a refund. Every high tech gadget I've ever owned has some sort of minor flaw to it. I tried a Bionic before I bought the skyrocket and it had a terrible LTE/3G radio issue they just seem to be getting around to addressing. I couldn't stand that one so I returned the phone. Butim not going to call people who seemed to be able to tolerate that flaw "fools".
I do believe his response is an extreme directed at a few that have the view that we are crazy and there is no issue. Most of the skyrockets have the issue and it is hardly noticeable
Others have it quite severely to a point that it is simply disgusting.


Regardless, it prolly best if we don't call each other names
Mr. Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #29 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male
Posts: 43
 
Device(s): Galaxty Note 2 on AT&T - 16gb Titanium Grey
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I called the district manager of my local store and I now have a White skyrocket on hold for me to pick up today, with credit for this months bill. They have no official statement of the issue however, if you explain your disgust with buying a faulty phone they usually make it worth your while to stay with att. They are also waving my restocking fee, I have only had my skyrocket for a week and I haven't noticed any issue but I don't want to notice it so if the white phones are better then I will go with that.
AdamdangA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #30 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male
Posts: 43
 
Device(s): Galaxty Note 2 on AT&T - 16gb Titanium Grey
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Also if you are not 100% satisfied with your phone you should never just deal with it, at least make a call and see if they can do something for you. Competition between cell phone services should never be taken for granted. They will do a lot to keep a customer, it takes some time on the phone but you can usually get what you want if you are persistent enough.
AdamdangA is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 13th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr. Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 6,675
 
Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamdangA View Post
Also if you are not 100% satisfied with your phone you should never just deal with it, at least make a call and see if they can do something for you. Competition between cell phone services should never be taken for granted. They will do a lot to keep a customer, it takes some time on the phone but you can usually get what you want if you are persistent enough.
I agree 100%

Our tolerance as a whole is why these sort of defects are becoming "acceptable"
Mr. Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #32 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You returned one.How's the new one?Might just live with it because it's not all that bad.
chevys7096 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male
Posts: 43
 
Device(s): Galaxty Note 2 on AT&T - 16gb Titanium Grey
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

This may sound crazy, but my phone was having this issue. I don't think as bad as what is pictured above however today while I was at work I was messing with some settings and I was messing with brightness (which I know has been mentioned before) and as I toggled auto brightness on and off all of a sudden my screen fixed it self. I no longer have any lines or textures. This may be unique to my phone but just thought I would share with those of you who are still having trouble. It is set on auto brightness and it comes in great. Hopefully it stays this away. I still have three weeks to bring it back, so I have some time to spare if it is just a fluke.
AdamdangA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #34 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 20
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araidis View Post
I am curious, bhype, what did you do to fix this issue if anything at all?
I went down to Bestbuy where I bought my SR and I have two options. Fyi, im out of the 30 day wimdow. I can have it replaced via the BB protection program or go through ATT, which might be the same as Samsung warranty, I'm not sure. Mr Ed returned his for a white one with good result. My only thing is I want to be sure the issue is resolved, and going through either of my channels may lead to another SR with the same screen issue. I'm waiting to hear how the guy over on xda does with the warranty process through Samsung.
bhype1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #35 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male
Posts: 43
 
Device(s): Galaxty Note 2 on AT&T - 16gb Titanium Grey
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

The white one is awesome just picked it up!
AdamdangA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: London Ontario Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 757
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Rogers

Thanks: 40
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

. Its barely noticeable and I bet if I wasnt on this forum to read about these lines I would have never taken note of them...ever.

Get over it. sure its a flaw but its barely noticeable. sheeshh
spikeithard is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #37 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr. Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 6,675
 
Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeithard View Post
. Its barely noticeable and I bet if I wasnt on this forum to read about these lines I would have never taken note of them...ever.

Get over it. sure its a flaw but its barely noticeable. sheeshh
The issue varies from phone to phone, so there is no way for you to tell how someone's phone looks. In my case the severity of the lines differed across all 5 phones.

Case in point..your thread on a "design flaw" that is merely a design difference
What I think is a annoying design flaw..

I didn't pop in there and tell you to deal with it Neither did anyone else.
Mr. Ed is offline  
Last edited by Mr. Ed; December 13th, 2011 at 10:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Ed For This Useful Post:
bhype1 (December 14th, 2011)
Old December 13th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #38 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr. Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 6,675
 
Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamdangA View Post
This may sound crazy, but my phone was having this issue. I don't think as bad as what is pictured above however today while I was at work I was messing with some settings and I was messing with brightness (which I know has been mentioned before) and as I toggled auto brightness on and off all of a sudden my screen fixed it self. I no longer have any lines or textures. This may be unique to my phone but just thought I would share with those of you who are still having trouble. It is set on auto brightness and it comes in great. Hopefully it stays this away. I still have three weeks to bring it back, so I have some time to spare if it is just a fluke.
I believe you, at one point I swore I noticed the same thing. Whether or not it was placebo I had no idea.
Mr. Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 04:45 AM   #39 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: mapdot cowtown somewhere in NV
Posts: 1
 
Device(s): Samsung GS2 Skyrocket (rocks!)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Teri3Bays
Default

Hello all,

I bought a Skyrocket this past week. Black. I've been staring/playing with it since I got it. And I stared at it again after reading all these posts about vertical lines. I don't see a thing. Mine screen looks just fine! No lines, dots, blobs, whatevers in sight. I dunno?

ps. this is an AWESOME phone. I love it. Beats the fire offa the iphone I had! IMHO, of course.
Teri3Bays is offline  
Last edited by Teri3Bays; December 14th, 2011 at 04:56 AM. Reason: wanted to add my opinion of phone
Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #40 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male
Posts: 43
 
Device(s): Galaxty Note 2 on AT&T - 16gb Titanium Grey
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I did end up going and picking up a white skyrocket last night, 100% better, and a free credit for this months bill, seems like a win win.
AdamdangA is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AdamdangA For This Useful Post:
Mr. Ed (December 14th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old December 14th, 2011, 07:48 AM   #41 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: London Ontario Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 757
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Rogers

Thanks: 40
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
The issue varies from phone to phone, so there is no way for you to tell how someone's phone looks. In my case the severity of the lines differed across all 5 phones.

Case in point..your thread on a "design flaw" that is merely a design difference
What I think is a annoying design flaw..

I didn't pop in there and tell you to deal with it Neither did anyone else.
point taken. Ill take a step back to reflect. haha
spikeithard is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 168
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 53 Times in 32 Posts
Default The screen....

Although the Skyrocket is a quick device, I just can't get over how bad the screen is. After having a chance to use the Rezound, Nexus, Nitro, and even the Vivid, I can't push myself to just deal with the Skyrocket screen.

What are your thoughts?
Bmxant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #43 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr. Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 6,675
 
Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts
Default

No issues here. Are you dealing with a defective unit? (As noted in two other threads)

What exactly is your issue with the screen? The rezound nitro and vivid have nice screens yes...but less detail and are not as bright.

I have not tested side by side with the nexus as it just released today. ...is on another carrier... and is a phone I have no interest in (lack of SD slot)

Mr. Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Ed For This Useful Post:
Bmxant (December 15th, 2011)
Old December 15th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 168
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 53 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
No issues here. Are you dealing with a defective unit? (As noted in two other threads)

What exactly is your issue with the screen? The rezound nitro and vivid have nice screens yes...but less detail and are not as bright.

I have not tested side by side with the nexus as it just released today. ...is on another carrier... and is a phone I have no interest in (lack of SD slot)

Thanks Mr. Ed, I just wanted to see what people are saying about the Skyrocket screen.

I had 3 S2's with defective screens that I've mentioned before (Blobs, lines, bad discoloring) So I'm really hesitant about getting another S2. From what I've seen, the discoloration isn't as bad (with the Amoled screens) on higher resolution devices.

It's been 5 months that I'm without a device now, and I'm getting impatient. I've been studying java for app development, so I want a device that's going to last long hardware wise (Skyrocket is fine here) but I also want a device that has a sharp screen.

So I'm a bit stumped.

Also, sorry for mentioning this on multiple occasions, I'd just like to see if anything has changed from the original S2 to the Skyrocket. Some people say that their device has no noticeable flaws, but all of mine did. And I'm not talking about staring at a gray screen either. I could see the defects on pictures.
Bmxant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #45 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr. Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 6,675
 
Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxant View Post
Thanks Mr. Ed, I just wanted to see what people are saying about the Skyrocket screen.

I had 3 S2's with defective screens that I've mentioned before (Blobs, lines, bad discoloring) So I'm really hesitant about getting another S2. From what I've seen, the discoloration isn't as bad (with the Amoled screens) on higher resolution devices.

It's been 5 months that I'm without a device now, and I'm getting impatient. I've been studying java for app development, so I want a device that's going to last long hardware wise (Skyrocket is fine here) but I also want a device that has a sharp screen.

So I'm a bit stumped.

Also, sorry for mentioning this on multiple occasions, I'd just like to see if anything has changed from the original S2 to the Skyrocket. Some people say that their device has no noticeable flaws, but all of mine did. And I'm not talking about staring at a gray screen either. I could see the defects on pictures.

I hear ya. I did not get a good screen until my 4th and 5th device (wife wanted one too)
In testing against the nitro the colors on the nitro were bland and fine detail was missing (strands of hair vs hair)

I had other issues with the nitro too tho

If you know me...you know I go through devices pretty often (8 or so in the last 6 months)

The skyrocket is definitely a keeper
Mr. Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #46 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male
Posts: 43
 
Device(s): Galaxty Note 2 on AT&T - 16gb Titanium Grey
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
I hear ya. I did not get a good screen until my 4th and 5th device (wife wanted one too)
In testing against the nitro the colors on the nitro were bland and fine detail was missing (strands of hair vs hair)

I had other issues with the nitro too tho

If you know me...you know I go through devices pretty often (8 or so in the last 6 months)

The skyrocket is definitely a keeper
I agree, I am new to android and very picky about phones. I have been an iPhone user for years and recently got really into customization. Android is the best platform for at but also the display on the skyrocket is beautiful. It does have its issues that have been mentioned all over here, just make sure you get one that is working properly and if you don't bring it back asap. Go with a white one if you can, it seems we are having more luck with those for whatever reason. But this phone is very well built and is a powerhorse of a phone. I haven't thought about my iPhone since I bought the skyrocket.
AdamdangA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #47 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Galaxy S2 LTE screen problem & Rogers

Hey guys,

I'm pretty sure this issue has been widely spread among the users of the Galaxy LTE(or Skyrocket) and I wanted to share my experience with this phone so far.

I bought this device a week ago then I came across one of the posts explaining the screen issues in dimmed light. My phone turned out to be the bad one and returned it for a replacement. After using it for a couple of more days, I realized that this one also had the problem, well even worse.

Last night, I called Rogers and explained that I wish to get a new replacement from the Rogers warehouse and not the same local store because I was afraid of getting another defect phone from the same batch. I've been through two customer service reps and all they told me was that it is their policy that the customers have to visit the same store and deal with them.

I asked to speak to the manager immediately, and this person was so much different. The manager decided to send me a new phone via UPS from the Rogers warehouse unlike his reps going by the policy bible. I also asked him if Rogers had any complaints with this phone in the past and he told me no.

So I'm hoping that this one that I will be receiving next week is in good condition. However, I'm thinking of switching to Razr if it has the same problem. If you have the same problem, call them and get a replacement that you're entitled to.
Carlsberg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #48 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 34
 
Device(s): Galaxy S (Captivate)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Screen Stuff

So i've been lurking on this forum for a while trying to decide if i should snag a skyrocket or wait for a quad core phone with ICS. Had quite enough of stupid ios, so I think i'm just going to get one now and use my wife's upgrade in the spring for something else snazzy and pass the rocket off to her.

However, the issues with the screen at low brightness on some phones scares me. Has this issue been resolved with the release of the white model? Also, is there something i can look at in the store to verify that I don't get one with this issue? A picture or movie that's pre-installed on the device? I'd rather not make 4 trips back and forth replacing them.

Thanks!
pearlbrian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #49 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 116
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate on Rogers
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I'm considering buying this phone so please post after you receive your replacement. I'd like to know if it has issues too. Thanks!
jaydee77ca is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #50 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: London Ontario Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 757
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Rogers

Thanks: 40
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Jeez people its not that bad! Don't put your phone on lowest brightness..

I have a Rogers lte and i'm fine with it.
spikeithard is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket is AT&T's version of the Galaxy S II LTE. As one can figure, the phone features 4G connectivity via AT&T's LTE network. It was among the first phones on the carrier's network to feature next-gen... Read More

Tags
screen defect, skyrocket


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.