Couple of days ago I got brand new Samsung Galaxy s2 GT-I9100. It was on T-Mobile network but the seller said it can be unlocked to any network. I bought the phone from him and the same day I took it to a nearby phone shop for the unlock. After the process I saw a new application on my phone - Superuser. I know the phone has been rooted which apparently voids the warranty.
The phone acts funky now - when I turn it off the display alternates between the large battery icon in the centre of the screen with 5 white dots below it and an empty battery icon with a yellow warning sign and a thermometer icon overlaid. By the looks of it the battery seems to be overheated but it is at room temperature. The phone can only be turned on if connected to a PC or a power source. I am going to try another battery tomorrow, hopefully it is only that...
IF I will reset the phone to factory settings OR delete Superuser - will the unlock still be there? Or will the phone reject the simcard? I am not sure what to do, if battery replacement won't work then I will not have any other choice but to unroot the phone and send it to Samsung. But does it mean that I will have to do the whole unlocking process again or will it be unlocked?
Can it even be fixed? Do you think that the new battery will fix the problem?
It's kinda getting annoying now.. when I unplug my phone from the PC the battery still shows the charging icon and when it is 100% charged and gives a notification to unplug the charger - after I do the battery icon with 100% still stays there... does it sound like a bad battery or is the phone faulty?
Well, not having used the phone in stock trim it's hard to say, but it sounds to me like the root the vendor did is not working properly. I think the software is telling you things about the hardware that aren't true. I'd pop round the shop again and ask them to look at it. I'm sure they have a battery and can swap out yours and see if it corrects the problem. It may just be the root didn't work out well though.
Last edited by Oldschoolwax; January 1st, 2012 at 08:37 PM.
I have used my mates battery and it worked fine. He put in my battery to see if everything works and it did. After taking out his battery I put my one back in and... it worked. I turned the phone off and on and it was fine. I thought the problem was solved. I just plugged it into my charger and everything is just like it was. It shows the temperature warning and the phone will not boot unless connected to the power supply. The battery status changed - it shows that the phone was booted only for 2 seconds...
Do you know what can be wrong with it? Should I go and see the person who rotted my phone?
That is weird... Perhaps go to see them, but try pulling the battery and restarting the phone again. did this start after using the car charger the last time as well? Just wondering if something could be triggering this. Do you have the wall/usb charger?
I tried to pull it out many, many times - nothing helped. I don't have a car charger for this phone. I am using USB and wall charger - depends which one is closer. The battery drains soooo fast when it is like this aswell. I'm going to try discharging it completely and then charge it again, maybe this will help. It can't overcharge, can it?
EDIT: I discharged the battery and it didn't help.
Last edited by yam2; January 3rd, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
OK, perhaps the battery is going bad... can you use your friends battery for a day and see if it stays OK? (so you run it down and charge it...) I know that is kind of a pain, I'm just trying to think of a way you can really test it without wasting money just in case. If the battery is going bad it could be getting too hot while charging, then discharging quickly. if it discharges quickly for him to with your batt, then it sounds like it was right all along. =/ Still, better a battery than the handset!
I went to the shop where I got my unlock and the guy said it is a battery, not the phone. He said I apparently overcharged it and that the maximum charging time for this phone is about 3-4 hours?
I also visited Samsung Customer Service and they said I have to send them the phone and they will only replace the battery for free IF there has been something like the battery leak etc. Otherwise I will have to pay for the post + the battery....
EDIT: I have downloaded an app called Battery Dr. and on the battery health it says that there has been an over voltage - what does that mean?
Last edited by yam2; January 4th, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
I would think that that means it was charged too hot... but that's a guess. I was wondering if the car charger ( only because you mentioned it ) could be giving it too much juice. I know they can be overcharged, but it's pretty common to hear people say that they charge them overnight... I do. I think the batt may have been defective. I guess the best thing you can do is just grab another battery and be done with it then. =/
What the hell is wrong with this thing. It's starting to p me off...
I have bought another, genuine Samsung battery from the guy who rooted my phone. When he put it in it was fine, it was less than 10% so I switched the phone off and connected to the USB in my house. The percentage came up to 20% in about 2 minutes and then it jumped from 20 to 100% with a sound that the battery is fully charged. But then when I turned the phone off there was the same sign with the thermometer and the battery flashing... On there it was showing less than 10% - so I thought I could charge it with the phone being turned off. Nope - it went to 20% and the jumped to 100% aswell. Also when I connect the USB or the adaptor the screen blinks... is it a USB port problem?
Grrrrrrrrr... man, this is a drag, I was really hoping it was just going to be a simple battery replacement. I had doubts at first, but it seemed that it was looking like that would work. It is possible you got a second defective battery... but really, I doubt it. Just for grins bring this one back to the shop and have them test it. If it doesn't work out are you willing to flash a new rom or to just restore it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldschoolwax For This Useful Post:
So he's saying he messed it up but he can't put it back the way it was.. that's a drag. There should be something that can be done. I've never had a root gone bad. Make a new post in "all things root" telling what has happened since rooting the handset. Someone with a bit more troubleshooting exp may be able to give you a better recommendation. I'd try and flash it if it was mine, but maybe someone has a good solution for you bro.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldschoolwax For This Useful Post:
Thank you for signing up to receive updates for the 433
An email has been dispatched to confirm your signup. Please click the link in the email.
Buy the Samsung Galaxy S II 4G
Sign up for instant notification when the Samsung Galaxy S II 4G goes on sale!
The Galaxy S2 (sometimes known as the Galaxy S II) is the follow up to Samsung's widely successful Galaxy S lineup. This time, the Galaxy S2 raises all the stakes and Samsung has found a way to double almost every spec in a true, one of a kind ... Read More