Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Galaxy S2 (titanium)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Default Usb malfunction - samsung galaxy s2 (sgh-t989)

When connecting my Galaxy S2 (SGH-T989/TITANIUM[WHITE] VERSION/TMOBILE) I keep getting an error code 29, or device not found, malfunction port. I installed a fresh driver on laptop and still no connection. Is my port on my cell fried? I can still charge through the same port with my usb cord... It worked this morning....

sponsored links
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S2; Nexus 10

Thanked 2,901 Times in 1,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltronDeluxe View Post
When connecting my Galaxy S2 (SGH-T989/TITANIUM[WHITE] VERSION/TMOBILE) I keep getting an error code 29, or device not found, malfunction port. I installed a fresh driver on laptop and still no connection. Is my port on my cell fried? I can still charge through the same port with my usb cord... It worked this morning....
Hi Voltron Welcome to the forums.

Have you tried another cable ? Do you have another computer you could try it on?
Old January 9th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Thanks Atmazzz, I have read a lot of your responses and was hoping you could help me out. I have tried a different cord and diff laptop. (I am working on a HP) and no luck.

My inclination is that I am still using the GingerBread OS. I read all the reviews of when IceCreamSandwich came out and wasn't willing to upgrade... Now there is JelleyBean... Could it be the OS needs to be upgraded? If so, is it crazy to presume that I could go from GB to JB?

Just to add a little more info, bc I feel I've searched through PhanDroid thoroughly..
My phone is:
Android Version: 2.3.6
Baseband Verson: t989uvlde
Kernel: 2.6.35.11
Build #: Gingerbread.UVLDE

I have unchecked the usb debugging.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by VoltronDeluxe; January 9th, 2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old January 10th, 2013, 05:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks Atmazzz, I have read a lot of your responses and was hoping you could help me out. I have tried a different cord and diff laptop. (I am working on a HP) and no luck.

My inclination is that I am still using the GingerBread OS. I read all the reviews of when IceCreamSandwich came out and wasn't willing to upgrade... Now there is JelleyBean... Could it be the OS needs to be upgraded? If so, is it crazy to presume that I could go from GB to JB?

Just to add a little more info, bc I feel I've searched through PhanDroid thoroughly..
My phone is:
Android Version: 2.3.6
Baseband Verson: t989uvlde
Kernel: 2.6.35.11
Build #: Gingerbread.UVLDE

I have unchecked the usb debugging.

Thanks in advance.

I assume it didn't work with USB debugging checked either?

I don't think the OS will matter. Try uninstalling all the drivers. Download and install Kies. It will install the latest drivers. Then see if Kies will recognize it. Also try blowing some compressed air in the USB connection. I don't know if it would help, but you might also try a factory reset.
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmazzz View Post
I assume it didn't work with USB debugging checked either?

I don't think the OS will matter. Try uninstalling all the drivers. Download and install Kies. It will install the latest drivers. Then see if Kies will recognize it. Also try blowing some compressed air in the USB connection. I don't know if it would help, but you might also try a factory reset.
Thanks for the response. Correct, it did not work with the USB debugging checked. Also sprayed air into the cord and phone.

I have uninstalled drivers on my laptop. Installed kies successfully. When it asks me to connect device, I connect and kies does not recognize the device is being connected. I try to troubleshoot and the troubleshoot says it's successfully completed but still no recognition.

I just got a notification from tmobile about an update from the and it looks like they updated my Kernel : kernel now is...:

2.6.35.11-1209942
se.infra@sep-55 #2

^^ does this make any sense to you?
And still not being recognized.

I beginning to feel that hopefully it could be fixed with a factory reset. Which I'm ok with.

Part one...I have backed up my contacts to my sim and sd card. Music on sd card and photos saved on dropbox. My apps I'm not really too concerned with, there are some on the sd card but I have a list of the apps I have downloaded to get back once the reset is done.... Am I missing anything?

Part two.... the phone once the reset is done will still be on GingerBread... I'll probably find out the answer to my question if the reset works, but.... going from gingerbread to jellybean... is it possible? or do I need to go to ICS then to JellyBean?
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I just got a notification from tmobile about an update from the and it looks like they updated my Kernel : kernel now is...:

2.6.35.11-1209942
se.infra@sep-55 #2

^^ does this make any sense to you?
And still not being recognized.

I beginning to feel that hopefully it could be fixed with a factory reset. Which I'm ok with.

Part one...I have backed up my contacts to my sim and sd card. Music on sd card and photos saved on dropbox. My apps I'm not really too concerned with, there are some on the sd card but I have a list of the apps I have downloaded to get back once the reset is done.... Am I missing anything?

Part two.... the phone once the reset is done will still be on GingerBread... I'll probably find out the answer to my question if the reset works, but.... going from gingerbread to jellybean... is it possible? or do I need to go to ICS then to JellyBean?

The update I think was just an update for enhanced 911 service.

Your contacts I would also sync with Google if you haven't already.

Yes, after a reset you will still be on the same OS you have now. Jellybean isn't available for our phone yet. You would have to update through Kies or you could follow the sticky at the top of the page [HOW TO] Odin any stock rom to update to ICS 4.0.4. However, you can't do either if your USB isn't working.
Old January 12th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Welp.... I preformed a factory reset and then tried to connect to my laptop and still no luck. I get a "malfunction with connected device and windows does not recognize it..."

Any suggestions?
Old January 12th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm sorry. I'm out of ideas. Is there a warranty on the phone?
Old January 12th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

I just finished three separate conversations with Samsung Live Chat.
I first did a factory reset and that didn't fix issue.

First convo. The had me do a soft reset and reinstall the Kies software and usb drivers software... No dice

Second convo. They had me do another factory reset... No dice

Third time out they pretty much said take it to tmobile store and have them send it off to be looked at. They said that it is under warranty just hope that Samsung doesn't say it's not their problem. (I never rooted it, never got it wet, dropped it a couple times but was just from my pocket.)

I bought the phone in May of last year so I would think they could do something....
The Following User Says Thank You to VoltronDeluxe For This Useful Post:
Atma (January 12th, 2013)
Old January 12th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm sure they will fix it. Hopefully it won't take too long. Sorry you had to go through all the trouble but at least it was before your warranty ran out.
sponsored links
Old January 15th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmazzz View Post
I'm sure they will fix it. Hopefully it won't take too long. Sorry you had to go through all the trouble but at least it was before your warranty ran out.

HA! Yeah me too, but at least I gained a better understanding of the phone and trouble shooting it.

This is my first none iphone and I'm still pleased as punch. The phone is overall better for me and you're right the warranty didn't run out and the replacement phone is set to arrive today.

Thanks for all your help!!!
Old January 15th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
and the replacement phone is set to arrive today.
Thanks for all your help!!!

You're welcome! And that's great news! Didn't take very long at all.
Old March 25th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Fix Samsung KIES

If Samsung Kies does not communicate or recognise your galaxy s2 mine had that problem and this is what I did.
Uninstall Samsung Kies and driver using the uninstall from control panel. You can use Ccleaner if you like
to make sure nothing is left, restart your PC.
Go to Samsung website and install the latest Samsung Kies by searching your galaxy model, mine was
( SGH-T989D ).
When the install is done donít launch Samsung Kies yet.
Restart your PC.
On your Phone go on, setting Developer options on USB check mark it. Make sure your phone stays on. Now plug the USB to your PC and then to your phone. Windows will install all the software drivers needed, when all that is done.
Unplug your phone from USB and from PC.
Again on your phone go on, setting Developer options on USB uncheck it.
Now launch Samsung Kies wait until it says please connect a device. Make sure your phone is not locked and turned on by taping on the screen.
Plug the USB to PC and then to phone, Kies should start the connection and should connect your phone.
It worked for me. Good luck to all.
Note. This is my first time posting, if it's not in the right place please move it. Thanks
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Welcome to the forums kamosman. Thanks for posting.

Buy the Samsung Galaxy S II 4G
Samsung Galaxy S II 4G

The Galaxy S2 (sometimes known as the Galaxy S II) is the follow up to Samsung's widely successful Galaxy S lineup. This time, the Galaxy S2 raises all the stakes and Samsung has found a way to double almost every spec in a true, one of a kind ... Read More

Tags
galaxy s2, malfunction, usb

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)