Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 (AT&T)

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 13th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Dropped my phone in the toilet!!!

I dropped my phone in the toilet! I took it out right away, dried with a blow dryer on cool, then put in rice overnight. It powers up, but says I have no service. There is an icon on top, I don't recognize, with a red mark next to it!!! HELP!! Its a Samsung 1897 I think...

Advertisements
jilo40 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jilo40 For This Useful Post:
SGS2 (November 20th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old November 13th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Beware The Milky Pirate!
 
El Presidente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 27,230
 
Device(s): Xperia Z1, Nexus 7 3G, HTC One X, SGS3 Mini
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 14,331
Thanked 16,332 Times in 8,739 Posts
Default

Turn it off and stick it in the box of rice again. If completely submerged, it needs at the very least 48 hours to make sure it's completely dry.
__________________
Site Rules & Guidelines / Staff List / Ask the Staff
Want to bring naughty posts to our attention? Use:
Be respectful to each other - That's what we're all about.
El Presidente is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to El Presidente For This Useful Post:
jilo40 (November 13th, 2011)
Old November 13th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Rico ANDROID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: In Cell Phone SIMetery
Posts: 3,632
 
Device(s): GALAXY NOTE 2 .(aka T.E.D.6)....ROOTED!
Carrier: A Bentley Carries Me

Thanks: 4,466
Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,250 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
Turn it off and stick it in the box of rice again. If completely submerged, it needs at the very least 48 hours to make sure it's completely dry.
Dear Jilo,

Sorry to hear of your phone "taking the drink"...hope you may be able to revive it. But, if all is not successful,...


Rico ANDROID is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rico ANDROID For This Useful Post:
jilo40 (November 13th, 2011)
Old November 20th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 46,334
 
Device(s): M8, LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift - Evo retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 42,716
Thanked 57,154 Times in 22,965 Posts
Default

Always sorry to hear when this happens.

Water usually damages a phone only if trying to power up before completely dry, that can cause a short somewhere. Also, it's possible that salts left behind from the evaporation will cause shorts. But - because electronics are bathed in pure water during various manufacturing steps, it's possible that once completely dry, the phone will work as good as new.

I've had phones drop in sinks that have gone both ways, so best luck on this.

I just wanted to chime in that for others or next time (hope it doesn't happen, but stuff happens), it's best to not use a hair dryer. That tends to force water deeper in where it may not have gotten to if quickly retrieved from a dunking.

Hope this helps, hope your phone got sorted out!




EarlyMon is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EarlyMon For This Useful Post:
El Presidente (November 20th, 2011), SparklingKijo (January 4th, 2012)
Old November 20th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arlington, VA (Washington, DC)
Posts: 82
 
Device(s): (AT&T) Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Concur with everyone above. My iPhone 3GS was completely submerged in a jacuzzi for about 30 seconds and after about 48 hours (maybe a little more) in a bag of rice, it came back to life completely.

Take out the battery, and leave it out.

Let the thing dry longer than you think it needs, and RESIST the urge to check to see if it works! And NEVER use a hair dryer...it can push the water further in. Just let the rice do its job of passively absorbing moisture from the air, and it will dry out. If needed you could dry orifices with a Q-tip, but its not necessary.

Good luck.
jslanger is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jslanger For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (November 20th, 2011), El Presidente (November 21st, 2011)
Old November 20th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Rico ANDROID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: In Cell Phone SIMetery
Posts: 3,632
 
Device(s): GALAXY NOTE 2 .(aka T.E.D.6)....ROOTED!
Carrier: A Bentley Carries Me

Thanks: 4,466
Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,250 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post
Always sorry to hear when this happens.

Water usually damages a phone only if trying to power up before completely dry, that can cause a short somewhere. Also, it's possible that salts left behind from the evaporation will cause shorts. But - because electronics are bathed in pure water during various manufacturing steps, it's possible that once completely dry, the phone will work as good as new.

I've had phones drop in sinks that have gone both ways, so best luck on this.

I just wanted to chime in that for others or next time (hope it doesn't happen, but stuff happens), it's best to not use a hair dryer. That tends to force water deeper in where it may not have gotten to if quickly retrieved from a dunking.

Hope this helps, hope your phone got sorted out!




Ive seen a friends phone wrarp a little, enough to cause more probs dur to th hot air from the hair dryer...so, ditto 1+
Rico ANDROID is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rico ANDROID For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (November 20th, 2011), El Presidente (November 21st, 2011)
Old December 18th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

That must suck hope it comes back to life fully
Bennieboiy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 07:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JBLM, Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 61
 
Device(s): AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII... I know, its old... :(
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

That's what happens when you take your kids to the pool while looking up obscene photos/videos of women. LOL. Sorry to hear about that though.

I know how panicked you must feel cause I once had my phone in a hip case and I got on a water ride and forgot about my phone and when I got off the ride, it was soaked! It kept powering on and off by itself. But after a few hours of letting it dry, it was working fine. Still got it as a backup phone since I just got my Galaxy S2.
leo9891 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 07:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Rico ANDROID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: In Cell Phone SIMetery
Posts: 3,632
 
Device(s): GALAXY NOTE 2 .(aka T.E.D.6)....ROOTED!
Carrier: A Bentley Carries Me

Thanks: 4,466
Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,250 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo9891 View Post
That's what happens when you take your kids to the pool while looking up obscene photos/videos of women. LOL. Sorry to hear about that though.

I know how panicked you must feel cause I once had my phone in a hip case and I got on a water ride and forgot about my phone and when I got off the ride, it was soaked! It kept powering on and off by itself. But after a few hours of letting it dry, it was working fine. Still got it as a backup phone since I just got my Galaxy S2.
Hi leo, welcome to the forum.. Hey if you like to pay an added tribute to your old phone that took the drink, click and leave a memory note at: Android Forums Cell Phone SIMetery

Rico ANDROID is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 (AT&T)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.