Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 (AT&T)

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 5th, 2013, 07:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Just got ICS -- need help :(

Hey guys. My old GS2's speaker stopped working so AT&T gave me a new one. I had never updated my old phone to ICS because Kies never seemed to work but now I had no choice and everything's different :/

I'm getting used to it, but there are a few big issues I can't seem to figure out:
1) I use GoSMS. How do I get it to read the text across the top bar again? I like to be able to look down and see what the text is about when im driving

2) GoSMS is also not triggering the popups. I've got it once or twice but i don't know how I did.. I set it (i think) to my default program and disabled other programs, but the native messaging client still comes up a lot
EDIT: Fixed

3) I had 4 copies of almost every contact, so I wittled them all down on my phone and just deleted them all on my gmail contacts list. How do I sync my contacts FROM my phone TO my gmail account?

4) How do you take screenshots? Volume down + pwr didnt seem to work for me (though maybe I did it wrong)

5) In order to save battery, I always go to "Active Applications" when I'm done using my phone and hit exit for every program running (typically it's just GoSMS that doesn't close itself when i exit it). On Gingerbread it worked fine, but now with ICS every single time I have to hit OK on a warning popup. Is there any way to disable this popup?
EDIT: Fixed

Thanks for your help

TheAnimus is offline  
Last edited by TheAnimus; February 8th, 2013 at 10:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 5th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=
 
Frisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,492
 
Device(s): HTC One, Galaxy Tab 7" 2 Rooted
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 7,156
Thanked 9,262 Times in 5,117 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
Hey guys. My old GS2's speaker stopped working so AT&T gave me a new one. I had never updated my old phone to ICS because Kies never seemed to work but now I had no choice and everything's different :/

I'm getting used to it, but there are a few big issues I can't seem to figure out:
1) I use GoSMS. How do I get it to read the text across the top bar again? I like to be able to look down and see what the text is about when im driving

2) GoSMS is also not triggering the popups. I've got it once or twice but i don't know how I did.. I set it (i think) to my default program and disabled other programs, but the native messaging client still comes up a lot

3) I had 4 copies of almost every contact, so I wittled them all down on my phone and just deleted them all on my gmail contacts list. How do I sync my contacts FROM my phone TO my gmail account?

4) How do you take screenshots? Volume down + pwr didnt seem to work for me (though maybe I did it wrong)

5) In order to save battery, I always go to "Active Applications" when I'm done using my phone and hit exit for every program running (typically it's just GoSMS that doesn't close itself when i exit it). On Gingerbread it worked fine, but now with ICS every single time I have to hit OK on a warning popup. Is there any way to disable this popup?

Thanks for your help
Hello, TheAnimus.

Here's a link to the new ICS manual for that device (PDF format): http://dash.coolsmartphone.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Galaxy-S2-EUR-OPENGT-I9100-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-Guide-Ver-2.0.pptx.pdf
__________________



Frisco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
Hello, TheAnimus.

Here's a link to the new ICS manual for that device (PDF format): http://dash.coolsmartphone.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Galaxy-S2-EUR-OPENGT-I9100-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-Guide-Ver-2.0.pptx.pdf
The manual doesn't talk about GoSMS, the screen capture method it says does not work for me as mentioned in the OP, and the task manager and contacts sync are not mentioned either. I've already looked through it before posting..
TheAnimus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 187
 
Device(s): Galaxy S II
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 14
Thanked 49 Times in 42 Posts
Default

1) Check the Notifications settings in GoSMS. Notifications should be enabled.

2) Check the Notification settings in GoSMS. Be sure that popup is enabled. Go to your native messaging app and disable notifications.

3) Not sure. I always turned on sync and then I had the contacts in both places.

4) Home + Power Button

5) Don't know. Annoys me too.
__________________
I try to share my knowledge and experience. Please do your own research to find an appropriate solution for your situation.
Ikenstein is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikenstein View Post
1) Check the Notifications settings in GoSMS. Notifications should be enabled.

2) Check the Notification settings in GoSMS. Be sure that popup is enabled. Go to your native messaging app and disable notifications.

3) Not sure. I always turned on sync and then I had the contacts in both places.

4) Home + Power Button

5) Don't know. Annoys me too.
1) fixed the popup issue
2) The text at the top bar is still only happening sometimes, but everything is enabled for it! looked through the settings and couldnt figure it out
4) How exactly do you do this without returning to the home screen or turning off the screen?..
5) I actually figured this one out. I forget where in the settings, but there's a checkbox for Always Running that i unchecked and it solved the issue
TheAnimus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 187
 
Device(s): Galaxy S II
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 14
Thanked 49 Times in 42 Posts
Default

It's a pain to so the screenshot, but basically, get both fingers positioned above the Home and Power buttons. Then press and hold both. If your fingers aren't in sync, then you'll turn off the screen of bring up the task manager. I wish they'd kept the old way.
Ikenstein is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Really want to fix Go SMS... Need the message to turn on my screen and read it across the top bar of my phone, and I need the popups to always trigger
TheAnimus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 187
 
Device(s): Galaxy S II
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 14
Thanked 49 Times in 42 Posts
Default

There's an option in the GoSMS settings for turning the screen on when you receive a message. Also, check the GoSMS settings for privacy mode - this can disable the message displaying across the top.
Ikenstein is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S2 (AT&T)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.