Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 21st, 2012, 09:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default What's the real US release date?

When the SGS2 came out, it took the US 4 whole months to get it after the UK. The UK got it in May of 2011, the first US release wasn't until September. This May 3rd release I've read is for the UK, not the US.

After my SGS2 broke, I've been downgraded to a moto cliq xt, and needless to say, wanting a new phone.

I'm wondering if I should wait for the SGS3, or just go get another phone. I'm guessing the US wont see this phone in May.

Advertisements
cam86john is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 21st, 2012, 10:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Orion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,624
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus and LG G Pad 10.1
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 378
Thanked 501 Times in 322 Posts
Default

Well we dont know when the U.S. will get it. I'm guessing sooner than last time. Maybe Jul/Aug there will be a Samsung event for our versions.
Orion is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 271
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Default

The rumor has been that the s3 will be the official phone of the olympics and Samsung wants a reasonably simultaneous launch because of this. That said, we don't won't know the worldwide/european launch until at least May 3rd, so no one might get it until July or August for all we know right now.
ardyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 333
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 166 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Yeah my bet would be a late May or June release overseas and then hits the States in July or early August.
spridell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

So I'm better off picking up a new phone, and trying to get the GS3 when it comes out. Problem is Verizon has the Nexus, and they didn't get the GS2, which probably means they wont get the GS3, and I'll be stuck with a termination fee.

My best guess, which has nothing behind it, is that the US wont see the GS3 until months after the UK.

I wouldn't mind picking up another GS2, but I don't want another contract with Tmobile(Trying to leave them), and I don't want to buy it retail, and I can't find it used anywhere for a respectable price.

Ugh.
cam86john is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
SoFLO
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

I'm REALLY hoping for a June/July release, but I can see it being later.
 
Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
greenrolaids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 484
 
Device(s): InCredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 24
Thanked 79 Times in 44 Posts
Default re

The big three often get exclusivity on certain models.

verizon got the nexus, Razr maxx.

att got the galaxy note then the Htc One X.

Sprint.. actually i don't care about sprint, they are going the route of Black berry and should get a lawyer to dismantle their assets.


Verizon is due for a new phone in about 1 or 1.5 months.

Considering the Nexus is dropping to $199 on contract, that is the straw that broke the flag ship's back.

Verizon will have 2 new flagship phones soon, i have no idea what variant htc will provide, but the New Motorola fighter or HD will be coming soon, and the S3 should hit soon after.

Hopefully verizon does not get the 5" LG brick.. that would mean one of the upcoming top end phones would be a LG and as we all know.. LG SUCKS 5hit.

That then would give Samsung the time along with the olympics to release the s3 nearer to the olympics, which would suck because we would have to wait till the middle of JULY....

If that was the case, i will switch over to the Dark side, and wait for the new iphone 5.

I'm getting sick of Verizons tight lipped bullsh1t.
__________________
Phonage = PPC6600, HTC ppc6700, HTC ppc6800, HTC PPC6900, Iphone 3g, Google G1, Blackberry Storm, HTC INCREDIBLE, Returned DroidX back to Incredible NOW THUNDERBOLTED Sold Thunderbolt, Now back to the incredible, Bought a Droid Charge to hold me off until the S3 comes out. Sold DRoid shittyCharge and bought a Razr Maxx to keep my Unlimited Data plan that verizon will kill off the summer of 2012.
greenrolaids is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
AppsRUs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: East Coast
Posts: 228
 
Device(s): ROOTED Samsung Galaxy Nexus (LTE)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 76
Thanked 265 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Verizon is so far up Motorola's hole, we'll get MotoBlur'd to death before we'll see the S3 especially if the devices are competing.
AppsRUs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Lock-N-Load's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: WestSiiiide
Posts: 2,309
 
Device(s): Moto Droid VZW
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 197 Times in 151 Posts
Default

Samsung Galaxy S III gets first confirmed carrier - SlashGear

Samsung Galaxy S III gets first confirmed carrier - UK first... who knows after in the USA. 2 much guessing.
__________________
/** SGS3 (rooted & stock ROM) **/
/** Asus Prime TF201 (rooted & mildly OC'd) BRICKED BY THE ASUS OTA JB UPATE!**/
/** OG Droid (rooted & OC'd & all hacked up) **/
Lock-N-Load is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Complex757's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 367
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 183
Thanked 100 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrolaids View Post
The big three often get exclusivity on certain models.

verizon got the nexus, Razr maxx.

att got the galaxy note then the Htc One X.

Sprint.. actually i don't care about sprint, they are going the route of Black berry and should get a lawyer to dismantle their assets.


Verizon is due for a new phone in about 1 or 1.5 months.

Considering the Nexus is dropping to $199 on contract, that is the straw that broke the flag ship's back.

Verizon will have 2 new flagship phones soon, i have no idea what variant htc will provide, but the New Motorola fighter or HD will be coming soon, and the S3 should hit soon after.

Hopefully verizon does not get the 5" LG brick.. that would mean one of the upcoming top end phones would be a LG and as we all know.. LG SUCKS 5hit.

That then would give Samsung the time along with the olympics to release the s3 nearer to the olympics, which would suck because we would have to wait till the middle of JULY....

If that was the case, i will switch over to the Dark side, and wait for the new iphone 5.

I'm getting sick of Verizons tight lipped bullsh1t.
The Galaxy 2 appeared on Sprint first
__________________
HTC Hero -> HTC Evo 4G -> HTC Evo 3D -> HTC Evo LTE
Complex757 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 24th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Android26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 507
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 & Nexus 7 original
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 299
Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam86john View Post
When the SGS2 came out, it took the US 4 whole months to get it after the UK. The UK got it in May of 2011, the first US release wasn't until September. This May 3rd release I've read is for the UK, not the US.

After my SGS2 broke, I've been downgraded to a moto cliq xt, and needless to say, wanting a new phone.

I'm wondering if I should wait for the SGS3, or just go get another phone. I'm guessing the US wont see this phone in May.
I still don't understand why people keep asking this. No offense.

May 3rd is not a release date. Its an announcement date. Don't go to Best Buy on May 3rd, go to YouTube. You're not getting a SGS3 on May 3rd, you're getting its specs.
__________________
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples, then you and I still each have one apple, but if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas."
Android26 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Android26 For This Useful Post:
finn5975 (April 24th, 2012), Orion (April 24th, 2012)
Old April 28th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

European release date is 29th May.
sab65 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 136
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sab65 View Post
European release date is 29th May.
If you happen to be a Samsung exec and that happens to be true, then that is a bit long for me, I might just get a Nexus then, but the release time is expertly timed for end of class, so its plausible. As for American date, it takes time to bloat up the software and put in CIQ, but they can't wait too long or they'll lose the market to HTC One devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android26 View Post
I still don't understand why people keep asking this. No offense.

May 3rd is not a release date. Its an announcement date. Don't go to Best Buy on May 3rd, go to YouTube. You're not getting a SGS3 on May 3rd, you're getting its specs.
I strongly believe the spec on Wikipedia as of now is accurate enough. Exynos 4 quad A9, 12MP, 720p AMOLED, 4.7".
someguy43210 is offline  
Last edited by someguy43210; April 28th, 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 28
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, Amazon Kindle Fire HD, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 7
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I can maybe hold out on a new phone till July/August. But, if its Sept or later I don't think I can My Captivate is long past retirement and I really am hoping for good news on the Launch date for this.
Hamnat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 01:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Android26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 507
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 & Nexus 7 original
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 299
Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamnat View Post
I can maybe hold out on a new phone till July/August. But, if its Sept or later I don't think I can My Captivate is long past retirement and I really am hoping for good news on the Launch date for this.
lol I'm still on that Captivate too! same boat
Android26 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 03:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Baldilocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Delaware, U.S.A.
Posts: 1,242
 
Device(s): HTC One X (International)
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 54
Thanked 160 Times in 116 Posts
Default

I'll have one in the U.S. as soon as an International version is available. Could care less about LTE right now and HSPA+ is fine with me. Besides, the non-US versions will have the quad core Exynos.

Also, I can get by with paying $10 a month for Unlimited Data. Gotta love it.
Baldilocks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Mr. Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 6,675
 
Device(s): S3, Evo LTE,Galaxy Note, Skyrocket, Aria, Nook Color Lg thrill,HTC EVO 4g, HTC Inspire,S7 slim,Acer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 1,467 Times in 989 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sab65 View Post
European release date is 29th May.
Props to you fof being exactly correct
__________________
I'm back....
Mr. Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Buy the Samsung Galaxy S III
Sign up for instant notification when the Samsung Galaxy S III goes on sale!
Samsung Galaxy S III

  The Samsung Galaxy S3 is the company's flagship device of 2012. As one of the most anticipated devices of the year, this device is the first to come with a Exynos 4 Quad processor. It also has Android 4.0, a 4.8-inch 720p Super AMOLED ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.