Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree18Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 26th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #151 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDucky View Post
Thank you.
That is exactly what happened. When I got the phone, I signed in during set up. After I did the factory reset, I DIDN'T sign in until later, and I did opt out for the backing up the apps. With that it took over 48 hours after sign in for the contacts and calendar to sync.

The irony of the whole thing is now when I go into the play store (stupid name) from the phone, it doesn't show ANY of the apps from the other phones LOL

It's all or nothing LOL
Thanks again
The contacts should sync. Make sure you don't disable that. If you do, just go into Settings > Accounts > click the google account, check contacts and then hit sync. You'll get your contacts instantly.

Your second problem is just weird. Clear the data on the play store on your phone. Do you know how to do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annyong View Post
Haven't been able to find anything on this issue... I just got an s3 yesterday and I soon noticed that my battery was draining more quickly than I had expected (heard the battery was supposed to be pretty good).

I checked my battery usage stats and it said that bluetooth had used 33% of my power, even though it was never turned on (CPU time was listed at a little over an hour, however). It's not a huge issue, but a third of my battery being devoted to something i literally never use seems a bit absurd. Anyone run into a similar problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Ok, quick correction/lesson: When it says an app/service uses 33% in the battery report, it means it used 33% of used power. So, for simple math: If you used 50% of your battery (according to the overall battery readout) and it said bluetooth used 50%, it really means Bluetooth used 25% of the battery.

Simply put, it means "of what you used, these used the following percent". But still, 33% of any significant battery usage (33% of 50% is still high for bluetooth usage) is absurd for a radio that was turned off. I would recommend a factory reset. If the problem doesn't go away after that, return it. You likely, and unfortunately, have a defective bluetooth radio. It happens, so a replacement is probably required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philakid View Post
I have a few documents formatted as mobi files. If I put the documents on the kindle directory of the internal storage, Kindle works. If I put the documents on the external SD card, kindle reader does not see them. I assume this is a kindle reader limitation, not an s3 problem. Does any know how to resolve this?

I can get the FBREADER app and put the documents in the BOOK directory of the external SD card, but I don't like the FBREADER interface as much as I like Kindle.
It probably is a limitation of the Kindle reader. You should email the app author and suggest that the app look for ebooks in the external SD card, too.

jerofld is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to jerofld For This Useful Post:
chgachet (August 2nd, 2012)
sponsored links
Old July 26th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #152 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I just wanted to ask anyone here because I have searched and have not found a similar problem: Today my Galaxy S3 GT-9300 (bought unlocked on ebay) just broke out of nowhere. The touch screen is completely dead however the other buttons (home, back, etc) are working. I don't know what to do as my warranty card is in arabic and I had to cut my sim card down to fit the micro sim so it wont go in any other phone. I am a bit screwed as this is the only phone in my house. Any ideas guys?
darkjedig is offline  
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #153 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
mills23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 702
 
Device(s): SGS4, Note3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 233
Thanked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Default Notification lite ?

Is there a way to get the notification lite to blink instead of just stay on?
__________________
Thank you in advance to anyone who helps me out! Just in case I forget.
mills23 is offline  
Old July 26th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #154 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 54
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 43
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mills23 View Post
Is there a way to get the notification lite to blink instead of just stay on?
I've never had mine stay on except when it's charging and the screen is off, and when the screen is off and it needs to be charged (>15% battery IIRC). Is yours staying solid otherwise?
brownitus is offline  
Old July 26th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #155 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergs351 View Post
Auto brightness was the first thing I turned off and set it to full.

Like I said I think I tried everything now lol think I will leave it till The weekend and go back to the o2 shop and tell him to sort it, thanks for all your help tho, will check back later in case you think of anything else.
I was having same problem. I think I found fix:
While in browser, hit left or menu button. Menu option "brightness and colors" uncheck auto brightness and adjust slider. Do this while in browser, not from systems settings-- fixed it for me.
TGwinn is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to TGwinn For This Useful Post:
jerofld (July 30th, 2012)
Old July 27th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #156 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
mills23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 702
 
Device(s): SGS4, Note3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 233
Thanked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownitus View Post
I've never had mine stay on except when it's charging and the screen is off, and when the screen is off and it needs to be charged (&gt;15% battery IIRC). Is yours staying solid otherwise?

I have a white one that stays on instead of blinking.
mills23 is offline  
Old July 29th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #157 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Google tells me other people are having this issue, though I haven't yet found a solution - this thread is by far the best I've found so hopefully someone's got the answer:

My widgets in general are not updating quickly. The one where this is a big issue is any clock widget (the stock clocks, widgetsoid, fancy widgets). The clock in the info bar or the lock screen shows the right time, but any widget clock will lag for minutes or even hours, then jump to the correct time, and then start lagging again.

I also have this issue with such things as Smooth Calendar (which neither updates properly nor switches between widget and menu properly), and widgetsoid (where the button works to, say, turn WiFi on or off or turn the screen lock on or off, but doesn't graphically change to show that - until say an hour later, when it finally will), but that may or may not be related.

In addition to the threads from people having this issue with the GS3, I've found people who have this issue with the Note as well, so maybe this is a TouchWiz or ICS issue (I just upgraded from a Gingerbread Thunderbolt, where all of these widgets worked properly).

This is like the only issue I'm having with the phone, so hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.


Edit: I've noted that installing or updating an app (using either Play store or the Amazon app store) will update any widgets.

Also, it seems that the clock on the 4x2 widget integrated with accuweather.com (the one with the big, gaudy background) works just fine - it's the only one that does though. All other clock widgets (whether pre-loaded or downloaded) have the same lag as other widgets.
King Kashue is offline  
Last edited by King Kashue; July 29th, 2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old July 29th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #158 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Android troubles

Hi guys, a couple of questions about my new Galaxy S3 that I can't figure out yet:

1. I took a bunch of pictures/videos on a recent trip (about 500 pics and 5 videos). I tried copying them onto my PC. I enabled external drive option to view the files, selected all 500 files (1.5gb), did a copy/paste. But only about 150 pictures went through. I tried multiple times with different selections of pics and each time I was only able to randomly get about 1/3. I tried copying the whole DCIM folder and it still wouldn't copy all files.

2. When I copy/paste the video file, it plays in a very glittery way on my PC - is there a setting I should use on the S3 for it to be more compatible with PC's?
ppzhao is offline  
Old July 30th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #159 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

how come the links on the first page are broken?
jayfiled is offline  
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #160 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

how to shift from 3g to 2g
s3 user is asking
Mohzinati is offline  
sponsored links
Old July 30th, 2012, 09:26 AM   #161 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default

hi phandroids!

i am havin an issue with my SGS3, evrytime i open gallery, camera or settings (basically most of the system apps) they tend to force close in a few seconds... 1 out of 10 times i dont face the error....
someone please help
abrar619 is offline  
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #162 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: texas
Posts: 557
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 48 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrar619 View Post
hi phandroids!

i am havin an issue with my SGS3, evrytime i open gallery, camera or settings (basically most of the system apps) they tend to force close in a few seconds... 1 out of 10 times i dont face the error....
someone please help

I had the same issue, It was my SD card and I need to format it. I used the SD from my droid x and it still had some motoblur files or something on it that caused the gallery to crash. After formatting it, turning the phone off, inserting card and turning it on. Smooth sailing from there.
alexander323bc is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alexander323bc For This Useful Post:
jerofld (July 30th, 2012), PattiCakeUS (July 30th, 2012)
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:40 PM   #163 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
mills23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 702
 
Device(s): SGS4, Note3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 233
Thanked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Is there a way to set the phone to when you open it, it goes to recent our favorites instead of the dialer? Also is there a faster way to make calls? It takes 2-3 clicks to call someone.
mills23 is offline  
Old July 30th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #164 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mills23 View Post
Is there a way to set the phone to when you open it, it goes to recent our favorites instead of the dialer? Also is there a faster way to make calls? It takes 2-3 clicks to call someone.
you can use the contact widgets for quick access for fav contacts!
it helps me.... try it out!
abrar619 is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abrar619 For This Useful Post:
jerofld (July 30th, 2012), mills23 (July 31st, 2012), PattiCakeUS (July 30th, 2012)
Old July 30th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #165 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander323bc View Post
I had the same issue, It was my SD card and I need to format it. I used the SD from my droid x and it still had some motoblur files or something on it that caused the gallery to crash. After formatting it, turning the phone off, inserting card and turning it on. Smooth sailing from there.
thnks!
am nt using a SD card..... i just backed up my data and formatted my internal memory to factory reset.... so far evrything seems to be goin smoothly!
abrar619 is offline  
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #166 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Ok guys, sorry for the few days of delay. I've been busy outside of computer range and am settling in after moving, so hopefully I will be able to respond with more frequency now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mills23 View Post
Is there a way to get the notification lite to blink instead of just stay on?
I would suggest the app "Lite Flow" on Google Play. It's not perfect and can be difficult to set up at times, but it gives you complete control over your LED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedig View Post
I just wanted to ask anyone here because I have searched and have not found a similar problem: Today my Galaxy S3 GT-9300 (bought unlocked on ebay) just broke out of nowhere. The touch screen is completely dead however the other buttons (home, back, etc) are working. I don't know what to do as my warranty card is in arabic and I had to cut my sim card down to fit the micro sim so it wont go in any other phone. I am a bit screwed as this is the only phone in my house. Any ideas guys?
There are parts you can buy and repair the phone yourself, or you can find a repair facility that can repair your phone. However, I would suggest you try to return it, if you can figure out the warranty card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kashue View Post
Google tells me other people are having this issue, though I haven't yet found a solution - this thread is by far the best I've found so hopefully someone's got the answer:

My widgets in general are not updating quickly. The one where this is a big issue is any clock widget (the stock clocks, widgetsoid, fancy widgets). The clock in the info bar or the lock screen shows the right time, but any widget clock will lag for minutes or even hours, then jump to the correct time, and then start lagging again.

I also have this issue with such things as Smooth Calendar (which neither updates properly nor switches between widget and menu properly), and widgetsoid (where the button works to, say, turn WiFi on or off or turn the screen lock on or off, but doesn't graphically change to show that - until say an hour later, when it finally will), but that may or may not be related.

In addition to the threads from people having this issue with the GS3, I've found people who have this issue with the Note as well, so maybe this is a TouchWiz or ICS issue (I just upgraded from a Gingerbread Thunderbolt, where all of these widgets worked properly).

This is like the only issue I'm having with the phone, so hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.


Edit: I've noted that installing or updating an app (using either Play store or the Amazon app store) will update any widgets.

Also, it seems that the clock on the 4x2 widget integrated with accuweather.com (the one with the big, gaudy background) works just fine - it's the only one that does though. All other clock widgets (whether pre-loaded or downloaded) have the same lag as other widgets.
This is a rather odd issue. I don't have a problem with widgets, but I think I may have a solution. As much of a pain that it can be, a factory reset should fix your issue. Another thing you can look into trying is to install a third party launcher, like nova or apex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppzhao View Post
Hi guys, a couple of questions about my new Galaxy S3 that I can't figure out yet:

1. I took a bunch of pictures/videos on a recent trip (about 500 pics and 5 videos). I tried copying them onto my PC. I enabled external drive option to view the files, selected all 500 files (1.5gb), did a copy/paste. But only about 150 pictures went through. I tried multiple times with different selections of pics and each time I was only able to randomly get about 1/3. I tried copying the whole DCIM folder and it still wouldn't copy all files.

2. When I copy/paste the video file, it plays in a very glittery way on my PC - is there a setting I should use on the S3 for it to be more compatible with PC's?
Is this using Kies or some other software? Or just the drivers and the mtp transfer method? Another app that I use and personally recommend is called AirDroid. It's on Google Play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfiled View Post
how come the links on the first page are broken?
Yes, this is hopefully just a temporary problem and should be fixed soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohzinati View Post
how to shift from 3g to 2g
s3 user is asking
Which carrier do you use? Usually 2g is a cell phone talk mode only and you ant switch to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrar619 View Post
hi phandroids!

i am havin an issue with my SGS3, evrytime i open gallery, camera or settings (basically most of the system apps) they tend to force close in a few seconds... 1 out of 10 times i dont face the error....
someone please help
Try clearing the data on the app. To do this, drag the app from the app drawer and place it on app info at the bottom. Then select clear data. If that doesn't work, then I would recommended you factory reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mills23 View Post
Is there a way to set the phone to when you open it, it goes to recent our favorites instead of the dialer? Also is there a faster way to make calls? It takes 2-3 clicks to call someone.
Go to favorites the push the home button. It remembers the position on my GS3.
jerofld is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jerofld For This Useful Post:
mills23 (July 31st, 2012), PattiCakeUS (July 31st, 2012)
Old July 31st, 2012, 12:39 AM   #167 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerofld View Post
This is a rather odd issue. I don't have a problem with widgets, but I think I may have a solution. As much of a pain that it can be, a factory reset should fix your issue.
This seems to have worked. I'll update in a few days to confirm, but otherwise thanks.


Edit: Turns out the reset was unnecessary. The problem was multicon. Specifically, trying to use too many Multicon widgets. On my Thunderbolt, I had 52 icons per page in a ring around a 2x2 open space (so I could see my background). Evidently TouchWiz doesn't like 12 widgets per page on each home page (it was only four on the Thunderbolt, since I could use the larger ones - only the 1x1 functions on the GS3) and it bogged everything down.

Once I started loading them up again, the problem returned. Get rid of them, problem goes away.

Ah well. Guess I have to use ugly, stupid folders.
King Kashue is offline  
Last edited by King Kashue; July 31st, 2012 at 04:03 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King Kashue For This Useful Post:
jerofld (July 31st, 2012), PattiCakeUS (July 31st, 2012)
Old July 31st, 2012, 08:04 PM   #168 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
mills23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 702
 
Device(s): SGS4, Note3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 233
Thanked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerofld View Post
Ok guys, sorry for the few days of delay. I've been busy outside of computer range and am settling in after moving, so hopefully I will be able to respond with more frequency now.



I would suggest the app "Lite Flow" on Google Play. It's not perfect and can be difficult to set up at times, but it gives you complete control over your LED.



There are parts you can buy and repair the phone yourself, or you can find a repair facility that can repair your phone. However, I would suggest you try to return it, if you can figure out the warranty card.



This is a rather odd issue. I don't have a problem with widgets, but I think I may have a solution. As much of a pain that it can be, a factory reset should fix your issue. Another thing you can look into trying is to install a third party launcher, like nova or apex.



Is this using Kies or some other software? Or just the drivers and the mtp transfer method? Another app that I use and personally recommend is called AirDroid. It's on Google Play.



Yes, this is hopefully just a temporary problem and should be fixed soon.



Which carrier do you use? Usually 2g is a cell phone talk mode only and you ant switch to it.



Try clearing the data on the app. To do this, drag the app from the app drawer and place it on app info at the bottom. Then select clear data. If that doesn't work, then I would recommended you factory reset.



Go to favorites the push the home button. It remembers the position on my GS3.

I tried it. It takes me home then I open it again and its back on dialer. It's a pain to use as a phone lol!
mills23 is offline  
Old July 31st, 2012, 10:03 PM   #169 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 43
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

SCREEN SCRATCHES


I've been reading around various forums and people have suggested everything from eyeglass scratch repair kits to aluminum tire polish. (Also, a CD repair kit...)

What's the consensus on repairing scratches on the GS3? (if there is one?) I have a scratch on my S3 (yeah I haven't put a screen protector [which are good btw? I don't want one that will make my phone feel gross or orange peel-ey. I may go to BestBuy; suggestions?] but will soon) and want to take it out super badly before putting on a screen protector (what a conundrum...)
ericpanda999 is offline  
Old August 1st, 2012, 11:33 AM   #170 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mills23 View Post
I tried it. It takes me home then I open it again and its back on dialer. It's a pain to use as a phone lol!
I understand. There is a contact shortcut, but no dialer/favorites/call log short cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpanda999 View Post
SCREEN SCRATCHES


I've been reading around various forums and people have suggested everything from eyeglass scratch repair kits to aluminum tire polish. (Also, a CD repair kit...)

What's the consensus on repairing scratches on the GS3? (if there is one?) I have a scratch on my S3 (yeah I haven't put a screen protector [which are good btw? I don't want one that will make my phone feel gross or orange peel-ey. I may go to BestBuy; suggestions?] but will soon) and want to take it out super badly before putting on a screen protector (what a conundrum...)
I've never heard of people fixing screen scratches with anything other than a new piece of glass. So I cannot comment about that. I can, however, comment on the screen protector question. Please note, this is my own personal opinion and does not reflect the opinion of Android Forums: Do not buy a screen protector from BestBuy if you want to avoid the orange peel feeling. Get a steinheil. GALAXY S3 - Samsung - Cell Phones Personally, I would never get another InvisiShield ever again. It just doesn't feel as smooth and they do not age very well (they get less smooth over time in my experience).

We have a discussion on screen protectors here: Screen Protector discussion
jerofld is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to jerofld For This Useful Post:
PattiCakeUS (August 1st, 2012)
sponsored links
Old August 1st, 2012, 01:09 PM   #171 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

1) I have an issue with my stock weather widget. The thing will not update the weather on the widget. If I go into the app itself and refresh, then it will be fine, but if I auto-refresh or use the refresh button on the widget, the refresh circle will keep spinning and spinning. It will eventually stop, but the weather doesn't get refreshed. I have tried clearing out the app data from the app manager menu to no avail.

2) Is the GS3 capable of running 10bit 720p videos? Every player I have tried lags like crazy.

3) I hope the links get repaired soon up top. I see the answer to several of my other questions.
juventas is offline  
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:25 PM   #172 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ok this is quite bizarre, I have moved from the apple tree where I was happy with the jailbroken versions for years, the the wife got an android and I wanted one too so I got an S2, I have upgraded today to the S3 and it's superb, this evening I thought I would start moving some apps to my sd card but non show up asausable to be moved, I downloaded a move to sd card app but that says the phone or card may not be compatible with THAT app, I dl'd a second app but nothing's able to be moved as it says there is no memory card, I went into the storage settings and the card is there, I have uncounted it and 're mounted it but still nothing, I have tried formatting but again nothing, if it was a new card I would resign my thoughts to it being defective but it's the card I have used foe the last 12 months in my S2, does anybody have any ideas please? Thanks

Also regarding a comment above I was under ghetto impression the S3 had gorilla glass and there for virtually unremarkable is this wrong?
Miggs2002 is offline  
Old August 1st, 2012, 10:30 PM   #173 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 43
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

It has Gorilla Glass but it's still scratchable...


I don't even know how mine got scratched either to be honest. It was just in my pocket with a fold case so the screen was complete covered yet when I opened the case I see a nasty (I try to tell myself in denial that it's not that bad) scratch smack dab in the middle of the screen...
ericpanda999 is offline  
Old August 2nd, 2012, 04:12 AM   #174 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

When the wife bought her HTC sensation the guy in the shop pressed the shop keys up and down the screen as a demo and it didn't leave a mark
Miggs2002 is offline  
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:26 AM   #175 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juventas View Post
1) I have an issue with my stock weather widget. The thing will not update the weather on the widget. If I go into the app itself and refresh, then it will be fine, but if I auto-refresh or use the refresh button on the widget, the refresh circle will keep spinning and spinning. It will eventually stop, but the weather doesn't get refreshed. I have tried clearing out the app data from the app manager menu to no avail.

2) Is the GS3 capable of running 10bit 720p videos? Every player I have tried lags like crazy.

3) I hope the links get repaired soon up top. I see the answer to several of my other questions.
1) What phone model do you have and have you tried to update the software recently? I believe this problem has been fixed for the International version and several US versions, but sometimes manual updating of the software is needed to get the proper updates. Kies can also update your software.

2) I have yet to really test my GS3's video playing capabilities, so I can't comment on this. If you know of some place I can get a legal/free video to test on my GS3, I'd be happy to download and test it. But, again, it has to be legal.

3) I've disabled the hide tags for now. Please ignore the [.hide] and [/hide] text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggs2002 View Post
Ok this is quite bizarre, I have moved from the apple tree where I was happy with the jailbroken versions for years, the the wife got an android and I wanted one too so I got an S2, I have upgraded today to the S3 and it's superb, this evening I thought I would start moving some apps to my sd card but non show up asausable to be moved, I downloaded a move to sd card app but that says the phone or card may not be compatible with THAT app, I dl'd a second app but nothing's able to be moved as it says there is no memory card, I went into the storage settings and the card is there, I have uncounted it and 're mounted it but still nothing, I have tried formatting but again nothing, if it was a new card I would resign my thoughts to it being defective but it's the card I have used foe the last 12 months in my S2, does anybody have any ideas please? Thanks

Also regarding a comment above I was under ghetto impression the S3 had gorilla glass and there for virtually unremarkable is this wrong?
First, your main issue. This is a problem with internal memory devices, because the internal memory is called "/sdcard". So this prevents apps from being moved to the "sd card" because they are already on the "sd card". The physical SD card you added the the phone is called "extSDcard" and Google seems to be wanting to move away from external SD cards, so it may be an OS limitation for some time to come.

And yes, the GS3 has Gorilla Glass. But Gorilla Glass isn't scratch proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpanda999 View Post
It has Gorilla Glass but it's still scratchable...


I don't even know how mine got scratched either to be honest. It was just in my pocket with a fold case so the screen was complete covered yet when I opened the case I see a nasty (I try to tell myself in denial that it's not that bad) scratch smack dab in the middle of the screen...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggs2002 View Post
When the wife bought her HTC sensation the guy in the shop pressed the shop keys up and down the screen as a demo and it didn't leave a mark
However, if he would use sandpaper or some other silica-based material (sand, some forms of dirt, etc), it would scratch very easily. It's based on the hardness of the screen and hardness of the material. There are some good writeups on the net about this and why Gorilla Glass can resist keys and metal objects, but not things like sand. It seems counter-intuitive that a metal key can't scratch it, but some sand can. But that's physics for you.
jerofld is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to jerofld For This Useful Post:
PattiCakeUS (August 2nd, 2012)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:00 AM   #176 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

That's is weird, I'll have to try and tempt a salesman to demo with sandpaper next time lol, cheers for the info, does that mean if I put the card in my pc and rename it to say mIggs' card will work?
Miggs2002 is offline  
Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:00 AM   #177 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggs2002 View Post
That's is weird, I'll have to try and tempt a salesman to demo with sandpaper next time lol, cheers for the info, does that mean if I put the card in my pc and rename it to say mIggs' card will work?
What you name the SD card is irrelevant to the operation of the SD card. Computers (Linux/Android, Windows, etc) can associate names with storage devices. The name may not show up on the GS3, but all of the data will be there.
jerofld is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to jerofld For This Useful Post:
PattiCakeUS (August 2nd, 2012)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 02:46 PM   #178 (permalink)
New Member
 
whippey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

One thing I don't get with this high end phone:

Samsung make this high end phone to, in effect, go against iPhone and other leading smartphones and they don't even bother to make a pc/mac software to go with it. I am struggling to transfer files to my galaxy as my Mac cannot read the Android phone. iTunes goes with Apple, its the basis of a smartphone to have a software where you could easily transfer movies, music etc to it.

Am I missing something here?
whippey is offline  
Old August 2nd, 2012, 03:37 PM   #179 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

How can i heal back my lodspeaker? I was on skype used my loudspeaker then when i ran out of juice i put the phone on charger, went back to skype no voice at all on the loudspeakrr. I tried restart factory reset. Tried*#0#* service code no voice came out. But wgen i pluged in and out my earpice . Time to time it makes some noise for 1seccond . Thats it i hope u can give me some advice thanks. U are awsome
yoshx is offline  
Old August 2nd, 2012, 04:06 PM   #180 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerofld View Post
What you name the SD card is irrelevant to the operation of the SD card. Computers (Linux/Android, Windows, etc) can associate names with storage devices. The name may not show up on the GS3, but all of the data will be there.
This is one of the app to sd apps I have, as you can see I have numerous apps I am able to send there

This shows the card is installed and the phone can see it



But this is all I see when I try to send stuff to the card, I have tried renaming the card but my pc won't read cards for some reason and my laptop is being repaired, if it's going to work I can use a friends to do it, I know what you said above but does that basically mean no matter what I call it the phone will still see it as an sd card? Can I rename the internal sd memory to make it work?
Miggs2002 is offline  
sponsored links
Old August 3rd, 2012, 01:56 AM   #181 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippey View Post
One thing I don't get with this high end phone:

Samsung make this high end phone to, in effect, go against iPhone and other leading smartphones and they don't even bother to make a pc/mac software to go with it. I am struggling to transfer files to my galaxy as my Mac cannot read the Android phone. iTunes goes with Apple, its the basis of a smartphone to have a software where you could easily transfer movies, music etc to it.

Am I missing something here?
Yes, you are missing Android File Transfer, which is available at Android.com

www.android.com/File Transfer

Just download that, install it, and Robert's your mother's brother.
King Kashue is offline  
Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:42 AM   #182 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippey View Post
One thing I don't get with this high end phone:

Samsung make this high end phone to, in effect, go against iPhone and other leading smartphones and they don't even bother to make a pc/mac software to go with it. I am struggling to transfer files to my galaxy as my Mac cannot read the Android phone. iTunes goes with Apple, its the basis of a smartphone to have a software where you could easily transfer movies, music etc to it.

Am I missing something here?
Kies can sync multiple items to the phone, like media files and pictures. It's the official Samsung app and can be found here: Transfer, Sync & Manage Music, Movies, Photos, Contacts and Calendars with Kies

If that doesn't work for you, as that's the US version of Kies (and I can't get google to give me the international link, should you be outside of the US).

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kashue View Post
Yes, you are missing Android File Transfer, which is available at Android.com

www.android.com/File Transfer

Just download that, install it, and Robert's your mother's brother.
Personally, I prefer AirDroid as it doesn't require any residual software on the machine and will work via any web browser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshx View Post
How can i heal back my lodspeaker? I was on skype used my loudspeaker then when i ran out of juice i put the phone on charger, went back to skype no voice at all on the loudspeakrr. I tried restart factory reset. Tried*#0#* service code no voice came out. But wgen i pluged in and out my earpice . Time to time it makes some noise for 1seccond . Thats it i hope u can give me some advice thanks. U are awsome
I think your speaker is broken. If you can return the phone, I would recommend you try that. Does the speaker make any sounds, like if you play music?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggs2002 View Post
This is one of the app to sd apps I have, as you can see I have numerous apps I am able to send there

This shows the card is installed and the phone can see it

But this is all I see when I try to send stuff to the card, I have tried renaming the card but my pc won't read cards for some reason and my laptop is being repaired, if it's going to work I can use a friends to do it, I know what you said above but does that basically mean no matter what I call it the phone will still see it as an sd card? Can I rename the internal sd memory to make it work?
Just because an App2SD app says it can be moved doesn't mean the phone will allow it. Android has an App2SD mode built into it (and has since 2.2 Froyo), however, the configuration of the Galaxy S3 doesn't allow for this to work. Apps2SD was for phones that relied on SD cards for storage. Google/Manufacturers are trying to get away from relying on SD cards.
jerofld is offline  
Last edited by jerofld; August 3rd, 2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:13 AM   #183 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You can't move apps to your SD card on the S3. I have read this on other forums it seem Samsung have stopped it
grmuge is offline  
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:11 AM   #184 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Fake Folder in Gallery

hey

so i wanted to copy a video to my pc, i got the cable and connected the phone, then afterwards i did a factory reset.. ever since there has been a folder in the gallery with the computer's name, nothing inside it "it won't open" if selected nothing else ca be pressed, even the delete button doesn't appear :/

i tried formatting the gallery "through the pc, and through the antivirus" but its still there! everything else got deleted except for that folder :/

please help!
Farah123 is offline  
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:20 AM   #185 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You have to touch the tiny little "round arrow" to refresh and get the current weather. I've purchased a small stylus which helps me with the small, tedious screen touching tasks.
bjmadison is offline  
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:33 AM   #186 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farah123 View Post
hey

so i wanted to copy a video to my pc, i got the cable and connected the phone, then afterwards i did a factory reset.. ever since there has been a folder in the gallery with the computer's name, nothing inside it "it won't open" if selected nothing else ca be pressed, even the delete button doesn't appear :/

i tried formatting the gallery "through the pc, and through the antivirus" but its still there! everything else got deleted except for that folder :/

please help!
Your phone has an app called File Explorer. At least mine does. If not, grab ES File Explorer from GPlay. This will allow you to browse your internal memory for this folder and delete it. If you use ES File Explorer (I recommend that you do), you can even search your internal storage for the folder (by folder name) and delete it that way.
jerofld is offline  
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:50 AM   #187 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

thank you but it didn't work! and i downloaded the app "es explorer" it couldnt find the folder, it's like something that can't be dealt with
Farah123 is offline  
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:54 AM   #188 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farah123 View Post
thank you but it didn't work! and i downloaded the app "es explorer" it couldnt find the folder, it's like something that can't be dealt with
Are you using Kies or Kies Air? Can you try deleting the DCIM directory?
jerofld is offline  
Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:31 AM   #189 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
red5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Yavin IV... and Southern California
Posts: 67
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S3, Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Has anyone on Verizon noticed a sudden increase in battery drain relative to Cell Standby? I could swear it was in the single digits before, but now I'm seeing Cell Standby around 32% of battery drain by the end of the day. This has been happening for about 3-4 days now on my S3 as well as the wife's S3. I can barely get through the day on a full charge whereas before the battery was regularly in the low 40%, high 30% range by the end of the day.

I did the basics, checked phone app settings, checked for rogue apps, battery pull (several times), checked that I didn't enable/install anything that'll kill the battery, etc. The kicker is that it suddenly started on both our phones a few days ago. The only thing we did differently earlier this week that I think would impact this is we used wi-fi direct for the first time to transfer files, but I checked repeatedly to be sure that service is off on both phones. Any ideas?
red5ive is offline  
Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:44 AM   #190 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5ive View Post
Has anyone on Verizon noticed a sudden increase in battery drain relative to Cell Standby? I could swear it was in the single digits before, but now I'm seeing Cell Standby around 32% of battery drain by the end of the day. This has been happening for about 3-4 days now on my S3 as well as the wife's S3. I can barely get through the day on a full charge whereas before the battery was regularly in the low 40%, high 30% range by the end of the day.

I did the basics, checked phone app settings, checked for rogue apps, battery pull (several times), checked that I didn't enable/install anything that'll kill the battery, etc. The kicker is that it suddenly started on both our phones a few days ago. The only thing we did differently earlier this week that I think would impact this is we used wi-fi direct for the first time to transfer files, but I checked repeatedly to be sure that service is off on both phones. Any ideas?
This is a known issue across all S3 variants. There is a sticky thread with a petition to get Samsung to fix the issue.
jerofld is offline  
sponsored links
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:02 PM   #191 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: texas
Posts: 557
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 48 Times in 39 Posts
Default

My understanding was that some phone had this issue due a programming error. It should not be just appearing. Mine cell standby changes daily and I cant figure it out. On Tuesday I got 15 hours out of mine my standby was around 15% today its at 40% and my batter will be lucky to last 10 hours. I don't get it!!!
alexander323bc is offline  
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:08 PM   #192 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
red5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Yavin IV... and Southern California
Posts: 67
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S3, Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerofld View Post
This is a known issue across all S3 variants. There is a sticky thread with a petition to get Samsung to fix the issue.
Thanks, jerofld. I did see information on the web that it was a known issue, and my bad for not mentioning it. However, I guess what I'm asking is why did this suddenly start happening after 3 weeks? And it started suddenly on both mine and my wife's S3 out of nowhere. My understanding on the issue is if your phone has it, then it has it. My Cell Standby was otherwise less than 10% of battery drain previously, and suddenly the last 3 or 4 days it's at 32%, same as the wife's S3.

I'll read more on the sticky, though, maybe I don't understand yet the depth of the issue.
red5ive is offline  
Last edited by red5ive; August 3rd, 2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:35 PM   #193 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5ive View Post
Thanks, jerofld. I did see information on the web that it was a known issue, and my bad for not mentioning it. However, I guess what I'm asking is why did this suddenly start happening after 3 weeks? And it started suddenly on both mine and my wife's S3 out of nowhere. My understanding on the issue is if your phone has it, then it has it. My Cell Standby was otherwise less than 10% of battery drain previously, and suddenly the last 3 or 4 days it's at 32%, same as the wife's S3.

I'll read more on the sticky, though, maybe I don't understand yet the depth of the issue.
Do you root? I'm under the impression that everyone has it on all variants. I just thought it was a recollection thing, where it just seemed like it was higher than normal today.

Unless you root and had the cell standby recalculation fix installed and switched to a ROM that didn't.
jerofld is offline  
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:44 PM   #194 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
red5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Yavin IV... and Southern California
Posts: 67
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S3, Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerofld View Post
Do you root? I'm under the impression that everyone has it on all variants. I just thought it was a recollection thing, where it just seemed like it was higher than normal today.

Unless you root and had the cell standby recalculation fix installed and switched to a ROM that didn't.
No, haven't rooted due to the locked bootloader, but I hear Verizon is going to release a fix that will unlock it. But even then I probably won't bother with it as this is the first Android device I've had that I'm actually very happy and impressed with the stock performance. That is, unless this Cell Standby thing doesn't get fixed and drive me to the point that I root.
red5ive is offline  
Old August 3rd, 2012, 01:22 PM   #195 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5ive View Post
No, haven't rooted due to the locked bootloader, but I hear Verizon is going to release a fix that will unlock it. But even then I probably won't bother with it as this is the first Android device I've had that I'm actually very happy and impressed with the stock performance. That is, unless this Cell Standby thing doesn't get fixed and drive me to the point that I root.
I don't know what to tell you, then. Everyone I know of that has a GS3 has this issue (except those who root and install the fix). Honestly, the phone has been good with battery with me that I rarely even check the battery page. I get 16 hours of moderate use. I rarely have to plug it in to recharge during the day. So the problem hasn't really bothered me all that much.

And there's more reasons to root than just performance tweaks I love Titanium Backup and LBE Privacy Guard too much to not root.
jerofld is offline  
Old August 3rd, 2012, 02:01 PM   #196 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
red5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Yavin IV... and Southern California
Posts: 67
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S3, Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerofld View Post
I don't know what to tell you, then. Everyone I know of that has a GS3 has this issue (except those who root and install the fix). Honestly, the phone has been good with battery with me that I rarely even check the battery page. I get 16 hours of moderate use. I rarely have to plug it in to recharge during the day. So the problem hasn't really bothered me all that much.

And there's more reasons to root than just performance tweaks I love Titanium Backup and LBE Privacy Guard too much to not root.
And that's where I'm coming from. The first 3 weeks with the phone after 15+ hours I was almost always above 40%, sometimes in high 30s. It was never an issue until the last few days, that's why it seems odd to me that out of nowhere the last 3 or 4 days the drain started happening.
red5ive is offline  
Old August 3rd, 2012, 02:58 PM   #197 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: texas
Posts: 557
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 48 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5ive View Post
And that's where I'm coming from. The first 3 weeks with the phone after 15+ hours I was almost always above 40%, sometimes in high 30s. It was never an issue until the last few days, that's why it seems odd to me that out of nowhere the last 3 or 4 days the drain started happening.


That's I posted summarizing what I read on the XDA site. I know the issue effects all varient's but I did not believe it effect all phones. I thought you either had the issue off that bat or you didn't. I did not realize it was something could magically just appear. Thanks for the info guys
alexander323bc is offline  
Old August 3rd, 2012, 05:45 PM   #198 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
red5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Yavin IV... and Southern California
Posts: 67
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S3, Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander323bc View Post
That's I posted summarizing what I read on the XDA site. I know the issue effects all varient's but I did not believe it effect all phones. I thought you either had the issue off that bat or you didn't. I did not realize it was something could magically just appear. Thanks for the info guys
The thing is, I'm not entirely sure that Cell Standby is the problem. It just seemed to coincide that when I started having the battery drain that I also noticed that Cell Standby % was high. The last time I checked the battery stats was maybe a week before this problem started happening, and up until then I was checking it almost every day. Screen was always the highest % and was always at the top, but now it's 3rd after Cell Standby and Android System.

It seems better today so far, though, even with Cell Standby at 37% after almost 6 hours. However, I did put it on my dock this morning for a 40 min. call as I was afraid I'd have no battery left after.

red5ive is offline  
Last edited by red5ive; August 3rd, 2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:51 PM   #199 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for reply.

It doesnt play anything.
But when i use my earpiece during skype call. And suddenly i put the phone on speaker while i perform restart then it makes a noise for about 2 sec.
I really dunno what is going on
I performed factory resets soft resets no use....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerofld View Post
Kies can sync multiple items to the phone, like media files and pictures. It's the official Samsung app and can be found here: Transfer, Sync & Manage Music, Movies, Photos, Contacts and Calendars with Kies

If that doesn't work for you, as that's the US version of Kies (and I can't get google to give me the international link, should you be outside of the US).



Personally, I prefer AirDroid as it doesn't require any residual software on the machine and will work via any web browser.



I think your speaker is broken. If you can return the phone, I would recommend you try that. Does the speaker make any sounds, like if you play music?



Just because an App2SD app says it can be moved doesn't mean the phone will allow it. Android has an App2SD mode built into it (and has since 2.2 Froyo), however, the configuration of the Galaxy S3 doesn't allow for this to work. Apps2SD was for phones that relied on SD cards for storage. Google/Manufacturers are trying to get away from relying on SD cards.
yoshx is offline  
Old August 4th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #200 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Pretty cool found this by accident, but the little icon on the bottom of your home screen you can quick choose a home screen you want to go to (don't have to scroll). And if you long press you can quick scroll.
bubbler06 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbler06 For This Useful Post:
jerofld (August 4th, 2012)
Closed Thread

Buy the Samsung Galaxy S III
Sign up for instant notification when the Samsung Galaxy S III goes on sale!
Samsung Galaxy S III

  The Samsung Galaxy S3 is the company's flagship device of 2012. As one of the most anticipated devices of the year, this device is the first to come with a Exynos 4 Quad processor. It also has Android 4.0, a 4.8-inch 720p Super AMOLED ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.