Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree18Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 15th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #351 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuuhi View Post
Hi, I accidentally synced all my Gmail contacts to my contact list so now there's 640 unassigned contacts.

I wanted to mass delete by groups but apparently I can't delete anything that's unassigned. Deleting contacts from my Gmail account and resyncing is out of the question because the Gmail account in question is my corporate account (the only reason why I linked up to it in the first place).

How can I delete those 640 contacts from Gmail? Will I be able to delete from Kies?

Thanks!
Accounts & Sync. Then go to your corporate account and uncheck sync contacts. You may have to force a re-sync and reboot to get them to clear.

jerofld is offline  
sponsored links
Old September 15th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #352 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

im new and i had a problem with the charger i tried to make a new post but it didnt let me, so ill post it here.

so literally a few minutes ago i plugged in my charger into the wall and smoke came out of the microusb side and then from smoking went to burning, i just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem and to warn you guys so that you dont plug it in and it burns your phone
MrZipe is offline  
Old September 15th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #353 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
jaboda79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Between my ring and middle finger tips.
Posts: 89
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid 3, htc Droid Eris rooted TazzFroyo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 50
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default Keyboard issues

This is for my brother, he is not a member but is having an issue. Yesterday his keyboard (kb) started freezing up. If he shuts the phone off and turns it back on, it will work again for a short time, but eventually it will lock up again. He showed me, since I was the one to talk him into getting the S3 and I have had multiple android handsets. Everything else seems to work correctly, touchscreen wise. I thought it was just the stock kb, so I had him install SwiftKey. It worked a little bit longer than stock, but still froze eventually. He took it to our local retailer today and they tried to FDR, but he said it wouldn't for some reason. So he had to leave there and go to work, with it still acting a fool. Has anyone else encountered this? If so, is there some kind of fix/workaround?
__________________
If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger.
Frank Lloyd Wright
jaboda79 is offline  
Old September 16th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #354 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default HELP!!

I lost notification bar (the one on the top)
and i got these error:
1 Unfortunately, Factory Test has stopped.
2 Unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped.

what can i do
mimikim is offline  
Old September 18th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #355 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just a few issues maybe you guys can help:

1. I have disabled all calendars except for the Gmail account I have setup via Exchange. The phone is showing the same appointments three times. In Google Calendar it only shows once but on the S3 I see 3. Any ideas?

2. When I get into the car, my S3 pairs to the deck, music starts and all is good. If however I switch to an app like Skype or something of sorts where the music gets muted, when I'm finished messing around with the app the music will not turn back on and even if I change to the app it won't give the music back. Any idea what the problem is and how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance!
nickCR is offline  
Old September 19th, 2012, 04:48 AM   #356 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

hi guys
i had a problem with galaxy S3 when some one call me i have to first press back button then i can swipe for answer or reject, why???
before, i answered or rejected calls normally with out pressing back button, but now...!!!
i checked Call answering/ending in Call settings and it was correct
hamid_c is offline  
Last edited by hamid_c; September 19th, 2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old September 19th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #357 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo1878 View Post
hi

my text / email icons are showing unread items yet the only way i can find around this is to restart the phone. Googled it and it seems i'm not the only one. (in fact my wife has the same phone and has the same issue)

thoughts?
have you fix your problem with showing unred items on text icon???
nermindzin is offline  
Old September 19th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #358 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZipe View Post
im new and i had a problem with the charger i tried to make a new post but it didnt let me, so ill post it here.

so literally a few minutes ago i plugged in my charger into the wall and smoke came out of the microusb side and then from smoking went to burning, i just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem and to warn you guys so that you dont plug it in and it burns your phone
This sounds like a defective component or that there was some debris that caused it to short out. Seek a replacement, this is not normal operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboda79 View Post
This is for my brother, he is not a member but is having an issue. Yesterday his keyboard (kb) started freezing up. If he shuts the phone off and turns it back on, it will work again for a short time, but eventually it will lock up again. He showed me, since I was the one to talk him into getting the S3 and I have had multiple android handsets. Everything else seems to work correctly, touchscreen wise. I thought it was just the stock kb, so I had him install SwiftKey. It worked a little bit longer than stock, but still froze eventually. He took it to our local retailer today and they tried to FDR, but he said it wouldn't for some reason. So he had to leave there and go to work, with it still acting a fool. Has anyone else encountered this? If so, is there some kind of fix/workaround?
Is FDR a factory reset? If so, then it's a defective unit. If not, try a factory reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimikim View Post
I lost notification bar (the one on the top)
and i got these error:
1 Unfortunately, Factory Test has stopped.
2 Unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped.

what can i do
Something is severely wrong. Reboot. If that does not help, try factory reset. If that does not fix it either, try to return it. If that doesn't work, you and I need to talk about rooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickCR View Post
Just a few issues maybe you guys can help:

1. I have disabled all calendars except for the Gmail account I have setup via Exchange. The phone is showing the same appointments three times. In Google Calendar it only shows once but on the S3 I see 3. Any ideas?

2. When I get into the car, my S3 pairs to the deck, music starts and all is good. If however I switch to an app like Skype or something of sorts where the music gets muted, when I'm finished messing around with the app the music will not turn back on and even if I change to the app it won't give the music back. Any idea what the problem is and how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance!
I would clear data on calendar and make it resync. Drag the Calendar app from the app tray to "App Info" and clear data. Then re open.

As for the second thing. Which app are you using? I've had no problem with the stock music app, pandora, and gmusic switching back after phone calls. I don't use skype, though, and the problem may be due to skype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamid_c View Post
hi guys
i had a problem with galaxy S3 when some one call me i have to first press back button then i can swipe for answer or reject, why???
before, i answered or rejected calls normally with out pressing back button, but now...!!!
i checked Call answering/ending in Call settings and it was correct
Did you install anything that adds to, or changes the lockscreen? If so, remove those apps and use the stock lockscreen and see if that fixes it. Also, if you do use a custom lockscreen, some have an option to auto-hide when there's an incoming call.
jerofld is offline  
Old September 19th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #359 (permalink)
Member
 
saltz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 112
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab, Galaxy Tab 10.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 130
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo1878 View Post
Hi

My text / email icons are showing unread items yet the only way i can find around this is to restart the phone. Googled it and it seems i'm not the only one. (in fact my wife has the same phone and has the same issue)

Thoughts?
I had this same issue and could not find any fix, clearing the data, force close, etc... the only thing that removed it was to restart. BUT then I was reading another question about changing icons with Desktop Visualizer. I installed it from Play store and was monkeying around with it and switched all the standard dock icons to pictures from my gallery. Then switched the dock icons with my newly created ones and no more hanging notifications. I did not try the email as I rarely use it and was not having issues with it, but it sure fixed the stock message app.
saltz is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to saltz For This Useful Post:
jerofld (September 21st, 2012)
Old September 20th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #360 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi. I have recently puchased the samsung galaxy s3 and i'm having a few problems with it..
1. I have noticed that my phone tends to turn off the screen (and goes back to the locked homepage. I can't turn the screen on with the home button, it has to be turned on from the off button) when i'm on apps or even using the internet. And,
2. My phone turns off when i'm sleeping.

Can someone please tell me whats going on with it.
rowenal is offline  
sponsored links
Old September 21st, 2012, 11:24 AM   #361 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowenal View Post
Hi. I have recently puchased the samsung galaxy s3 and i'm having a few problems with it..
1. I have noticed that my phone tends to turn off the screen (and goes back to the locked homepage. I can't turn the screen on with the home button, it has to be turned on from the off button) when i'm on apps or even using the internet. And,
2. My phone turns off when i'm sleeping.

Can someone please tell me whats going on with it.
For problem number one: Have you adjusted the screen turn off timer under display? Or activated Smart Stay? The default time-out for the screen is 30 seconds. Which can be quite short if you're not actively touching the screen.

For problem number two: Like...all the way off? Even with your battery with enough charge to last over night?

I would recommend a factory reset and install only your absolutely necessary apps. If the problem still occurs, you may have a defective unit and I recommend you get it replaced.
jerofld is offline  
Old September 22nd, 2012, 11:58 AM   #362 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pacific NorthWet
Posts: 53
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SIII, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 22
Thanked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Default GS3 weak WiFi reception?

Hello again, everybody. I was last here over a year ago... and then a year before that, while waiting for my HTC Incredible to arrive. (I wrote only in haiku during the *long* wait. I promise not to do that again.) It did eventually arrive, I was thrilled, but recently it has gotten more than a little flaky so I've moved on to a GS3.

I've had my new phone for less than a day, so I have hardly found out everything about it. I do have a concern that I hope someone can help with:

I have a boomer of a home WiFi network. (This is not entirely a good thing, but I've come to the conclusion that it may be the only thing that's saving me here.) My old Incredible had four bars all the time. However, both my GS3 and my Galaxy Tab 2 only have one bar, and if I move a little farther away, it drops WiFi entirely. Do Samsung devices in general have weak WiFi reception, or is there something I can do to help this out a bit?

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I have done an extensive search on here, and so far have come up basically empty.
blastoff99 is offline  
Old September 22nd, 2012, 12:33 PM   #363 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default GS3 gmail not updating on stock email app

Hello All,

I got my GS3 3 months ago and it was working fine till yesterday. I have a .edu account and my personal gmail on the stock GS3 email app. While the .edu account works fine, the gmail is not updating every 15 minutes as it used to. Only when I open the app and specifically click on the gmail account does it sync. I don't remember changing any other settings. I have deleted and re-added the account with no luck. The gmail is being received on my outlook just fine - only my phone is not updating automatically as it should.

Appreciate any help!
mastimaster is offline  
Old September 26th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #364 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Caro332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 912
 
Device(s): HTC Wildfire S rooted with CM 10 (RIP); HTC One unrooted; Sony Xperia Z Unrooted
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 238 Times in 214 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastimaster View Post
Hello All,

I got my GS3 3 months ago and it was working fine till yesterday. I have a .edu account and my personal gmail on the stock GS3 email app. While the .edu account works fine, the gmail is not updating every 15 minutes as it used to. Only when I open the app and specifically click on the gmail account does it sync. I don't remember changing any other settings. I have deleted and re-added the account with no luck. The gmail is being received on my outlook just fine - only my phone is not updating automatically as it should.

Appreciate any help!
You should be able to change the settings in your Gmail app. Try and go to the options/settings...whatever it's called and look at the syncing time. You should be able to change it to 15mins
__________________
If we've helped you, don't forget to press the 'Thanks' button!
Caro332 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Caro332 For This Useful Post:
jerofld (September 27th, 2012)
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #365 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 46
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Any Idea how to stop the ringer from turning off ?
omoanya is offline  
Old September 27th, 2012, 05:57 AM   #366 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastoff99 View Post
Hello again, everybody. I was last here over a year ago... and then a year before that, while waiting for my HTC Incredible to arrive. (I wrote only in haiku during the *long* wait. I promise not to do that again.) It did eventually arrive, I was thrilled, but recently it has gotten more than a little flaky so I've moved on to a GS3.

I've had my new phone for less than a day, so I have hardly found out everything about it. I do have a concern that I hope someone can help with:

I have a boomer of a home WiFi network. (This is not entirely a good thing, but I've come to the conclusion that it may be the only thing that's saving me here.) My old Incredible had four bars all the time. However, both my GS3 and my Galaxy Tab 2 only have one bar, and if I move a little farther away, it drops WiFi entirely. Do Samsung devices in general have weak WiFi reception, or is there something I can do to help this out a bit?

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I have done an extensive search on here, and so far have come up basically empty.
I'm not aware of Samsung having wifi reception problems. I've seen this problem with tablets, but not phones.

I would recommend you try changing the channel of your wifi. Also, check out Wifi Analyzer. It may help you sort out your wifi issues (like if there is a new neighbor who is insisting on using the same wifi channel as you).

Quote:
Originally Posted by omoanya View Post
Any Idea how to stop the ringer from turning off ?
Make sure the volume settings are correct. Make sure your sound profile isn't on mute or vibrate. Make sure you have a ringtone that you can hear selected as your ring tone.
jerofld is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to jerofld For This Useful Post:
blastoff99 (October 4th, 2012)
Old September 27th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #367 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Ronk2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 22
 
Device(s): VZW Galaxy S3 32GB,MotoX
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I can not view video links on most web sites including this one. I use the stock browser. I have flash and smartswf. Thank you.
Ronk2010 is offline  
Old September 28th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #368 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Great post @jerofld
Maybe maybe you include a link to galaxy s3 apps as well ?
GalaxyS3Friens is offline  
Old September 30th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #369 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi, i bought a phone and i had it for a week and i pluged it into samsung kies and was downloading an update, when it got to around 60% my phone cut off and went into revovery mode, i turned off the phone and it kept going into recovery mode and lately when i try to start the phone the samsung logo comes up and in the top left hand it says recovery mode but then the phone goes blank again,im away from home and i wont be home until next month and i need my phone for important calls about work. i was woundering if there was anything you can do to help?
shanebruce is offline  
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:11 AM   #370 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronk2010 View Post
I can not view video links on most web sites including this one. I use the stock browser. I have flash and smartswf. Thank you.
Most of the video links from here are YouTube links. Make sure you have YouTube installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyS3Friens View Post
Great post @jerofld
Maybe maybe you include a link to galaxy s3 apps as well ?
What links to GS3 apps? I get all my apps from Google Play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanebruce View Post
Hi, i bought a phone and i had it for a week and i pluged it into samsung kies and was downloading an update, when it got to around 60% my phone cut off and went into revovery mode, i turned off the phone and it kept going into recovery mode and lately when i try to start the phone the samsung logo comes up and in the top left hand it says recovery mode but then the phone goes blank again,im away from home and i wont be home until next month and i need my phone for important calls about work. i was woundering if there was anything you can do to help?
It sounds like your update screwed up while downloading. You'll need to get a hold of a PC and download the update image and Odin, then flash the phone. If you have no solid internet connection, this may not be possible. Contact Samsung customer support and they may be able to help you out if you can't get to a PC.
jerofld is offline  
sponsored links
Old October 2nd, 2012, 02:59 AM   #371 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Flashlight issues

I'm having some issues with my S3 camera led flashlight.
It lights up for about 1sec when powering up the phone.
It lights up for about 1 sec when switching from regular camera to facecam.
It lights up for about 1sec when exiting the camera mode.
It lights up sproradically when battery is really low.

It seems to have something to do with power obviously, but how and why and is there anything to do about it? Anyone experienced anything like this.
I bought the phone used, so i don't know anything about its history other than it was all reset when i got it.
mrautani is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2012, 04:41 PM   #372 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SirKronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In a house
Posts: 1,292
 
Device(s): Droid Eris, Droid X, Fascinate (Galaxy S), LTE Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 244
Thanked 197 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Google Nav has always been my go-to for navigation on my Nexus and now of course on the SGS3. And it's always worked just fine on my SGS3 until the latest google maps update. Now there is no more 3D/view as you drive mode. I don't know exactly how to describe it, but now the map just always points north. It doesn't have a dynamic driving view, and it's very difficult to navigate now using the map, whether on bike or driving. I just have to listen to the voice, which is tough on freeways with multiple exits.

Any suggestions? I checked settings, reinstalled app, cleared cache, and still can't figure it out.
SirKronan is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:03 PM   #373 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 23
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3, Nexus 10
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I am having an issue with my car's bluetooth connection. It connects fine, but I can only dial a person's phone manually - the only thing that syncs with the car is the area code of each phone number. Are there any settings I can change or is this a known issue w/o a fix [yet]?
Cruncher1201 is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:07 PM   #374 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Hundreds of (Unknown) contacts when I begin a search within contacts

Hi Everyone!

I've had a lot of success troubleshooting small problems thanks to these forums, so a general "Thank you!" to everyone who provides helpful information.

OK, so I got a Galaxy S3 a few weeks ago and it's working very well. However, there's a very annoying issue when I search within my Contacts. As soon as I begin typing someone's name in the search bar, hundreds of (Unknown) contacts pop up. The thing is, they're not there until I begin searching for a name. Also, when I click on any of the (Unknown)s, the only information is that my "Connection" is through Google. In case this is important to note, my Google contacts are all cleaned up and there are no (Unknown) people there. Also, I've tried to cancel the Sync within Accounts, but that didn't fix the issue.

Does anyone know how to get rid of these (Unknown) people??

Thanks so much!
J28mv is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:16 PM   #375 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 106
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I disabled the stock email app. It will not allow me to enable, as it does with other apps. Any suggestions?
iskortch is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2012, 09:32 AM   #376 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 158
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Right.

Which calendar is the briefing alarm getting the data from? And can I sync with my google calander?
smallclone is offline  
Last edited by smallclone; October 3rd, 2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old October 4th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #377 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hello, I'm new to this forum and new to the galaxy S3. I took some videos at the highest resolution and wanted to download them to my PC. I did but every player I use plays them back in slow motion with the audio not in sinc with the video.

What player can I use or what do I need for the videos to play properly? Thanks. I run Windows XP.
Cuauhtemoc1520 is offline  
Old October 6th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #378 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergs351 View Post
This is a fantastic phone but I have one problem with mine and my daughters, whenever we go on the net from Google the screen goes very dim and cant be read. If I go on facebook or ebay via an app it is fine but if we go on anything via Google search it always goes very dim, if I press the back button, for a second it goes bright and normal an then goes off. I have tried everything in the settings but nothing seems to change it.
Also when I play a video it starts off very dark and dim for about 5 seconds and then it brightens up. This is really spoiling a really brilliant phone for me, please help. Thanks.
Hi Petergs351

I had exactly the same problem - it was really annoying! What fixed it for me finally was to be on the internet, hit the haptic button to the left of the home button and choose colours from the menu. A box will open on screen, you can choose what level of brightness you want for the screen when looking at the internet.

Good luck!
aerobar is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to aerobar For This Useful Post:
jerofld (October 8th, 2012)
Old October 6th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #379 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 112
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 (AT&T), iPhone 5 (returned aft. 1 day), iPhone 5 (wife, AT&T), iPhone 3GS (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default

I have the exact same problem as the OP. But I have no colors or brightness control on the menu button. There used to be such a control but it disappeared.

I'm on AT&T and have the latest OTA update.
johnnylighton is offline  
Old October 6th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #380 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerofld View Post
It is neither. I use the GMail app day in and day out. It never (if only rarely) crashes. Something may be wrong with your device. Have you attempted a factory reset? This clears out all your settings/contacts/etc if you don't have them sync'd or backed up.
I tried a factory reset and it still crashes
Should I try to get the phone replaced or do you have some more idea??
stinkum is offline  
sponsored links
Old October 6th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #381 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
KOLIO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,844
 
Device(s): HTC ONE M8 | LG G-FLEX | LG G-PAD 8.3 | LG GOOGLE TV G3 | QUALCOMM TOQ | CHROMECAST
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Thanks: 3,875
Thanked 1,526 Times in 1,143 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerofld View Post
Ok, try it with the app called "Downloads". It's got to be one of these apps that are doing it.



It means your notifications are disabled. The options to re-enable should be on your notification bar.



Unless you root, you can't disable the message. But you can get it to stop for awhile. Go to System &gt; App Management &gt; All tab &gt; FWUpgrade and force stop it.

Second, the universal search does get 'dumbed down' to not be able to search your device. However, I never used it before I knew it was going to get dumbed down (and had to check to see if I actually had it). Also, you can get a universal-search enabled Google Search APK from XDA (I can provide a link if you want) and install it and restore universal search. Even without root, this works. Or just wait until Jelly Bean and Google Now is delivered, which will make you forget about the old search app all together.

Those icons have to be swiped up. Tap/hold the app, move it up, release. The screen will unlock and that app will be launched. Or just disable the shortcut apps all together in the Settings &gt; Security &gt; Lockscreen options

New to the SGS III as well,any way you could PM a link to the GOOGLE SEARCH APK?

THX!
KOLIO is offline  
Old October 7th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #382 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

When trying to transfer files using the Bluetooth method you describe, it asks me for my computer's PIN. On my Galaxy S3, the instructions suggest entering "0000" or "1234", which I did but didn't work. How do I find my computer's PIN?
Ranex is offline  
Old October 8th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #383 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrautani View Post
I'm having some issues with my S3 camera led flashlight.
It lights up for about 1sec when powering up the phone.
It lights up for about 1 sec when switching from regular camera to facecam.
It lights up for about 1sec when exiting the camera mode.
It lights up sproradically when battery is really low.

It seems to have something to do with power obviously, but how and why and is there anything to do about it? Anyone experienced anything like this.
I bought the phone used, so i don't know anything about its history other than it was all reset when i got it.
I would try another reset. That is not normal operation. Is it rooted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKronan View Post
Google Nav has always been my go-to for navigation on my Nexus and now of course on the SGS3. And it's always worked just fine on my SGS3 until the latest google maps update. Now there is no more 3D/view as you drive mode. I don't know exactly how to describe it, but now the map just always points north. It doesn't have a dynamic driving view, and it's very difficult to navigate now using the map, whether on bike or driving. I just have to listen to the voice, which is tough on freeways with multiple exits.

Any suggestions? I checked settings, reinstalled app, cleared cache, and still can't figure it out.
I would recommend you try another GPS app to see if it has the same problem. If it works, you might have to see about getting an older version of maps. In the root section for your carrier, there are ROMs. Inside of a ROM, there's likely an older copy of Maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruncher1201 View Post
I am having an issue with my car's bluetooth connection. It connects fine, but I can only dial a person's phone manually - the only thing that syncs with the car is the area code of each phone number. Are there any settings I can change or is this a known issue w/o a fix [yet]?
There are way too many variables to be able to determine this offhand. Do you have a 3rd party headset? What's the make/model if you're using stock? What carrier is your GS3 on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J28mv View Post
Hi Everyone!

I've had a lot of success troubleshooting small problems thanks to these forums, so a general "Thank you!" to everyone who provides helpful information.

OK, so I got a Galaxy S3 a few weeks ago and it's working very well. However, there's a very annoying issue when I search within my Contacts. As soon as I begin typing someone's name in the search bar, hundreds of (Unknown) contacts pop up. The thing is, they're not there until I begin searching for a name. Also, when I click on any of the (Unknown)s, the only information is that my "Connection" is through Google. In case this is important to note, my Google contacts are all cleaned up and there are no (Unknown) people there. Also, I've tried to cancel the Sync within Accounts, but that didn't fix the issue.

Does anyone know how to get rid of these (Unknown) people??

Thanks so much!
I would try re-syncing the Google contacts in settings > Accounts & Sync (or in 'Google' if you're on Jelly Bean).

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskortch View Post
I disabled the stock email app. It will not allow me to enable, as it does with other apps. Any suggestions?
Factory reset. If you're rooted, you could try using Titanium Backup or some other app that allows freezing/unfreezing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkum View Post
I tried a factory reset and it still crashes
Should I try to get the phone replaced or do you have some more idea??
If a factory reset doesn't fix your phone, then it's time for a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranex View Post
When trying to transfer files using the Bluetooth method you describe, it asks me for my computer's PIN. On my Galaxy S3, the instructions suggest entering "0000" or "1234", which I did but didn't work. How do I find my computer's PIN?
The computer should list the PIN on the Bluetooth setup menu.
jerofld is offline  
Old October 8th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #384 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerofld View Post
If a factory reset doesn't fix your phone, then it's time for a replacement.
Thank you for all that you do jerofld. I'll be heading to my local T-mob' on lunch today
stinkum is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to stinkum For This Useful Post:
jerofld (October 10th, 2012)
Old October 8th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #385 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Txt Message tone

I got the s3 a few days ago and everything has been great with it until this morning. Since this morning when i get a txt it sometimes doesnt always play the tone that i have set. It may just play 2 seconds of it and cut off or plays less or just doesnt play at all. Wasnt sure if maybe i have hit a setting where at certain times ie when phone screen is on or when its lying a certain way it wont play. Any help will be appreciaed as its driving me nuts.
shellyrfc is offline  
Old October 10th, 2012, 05:49 AM   #386 (permalink)
Member
 
rmreid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western, TN
Gender: Male
Posts: 330
 
Device(s): LG OG, Nexus 4, G Nexus, 1X, GS3, Galaxy Note Nexus 7, Tab 7+ Kindle HD 8.9, iPad4
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 117
Thanked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylighton View Post
I have the exact same problem as the OP. But I have no colors or brightness control on the menu button. There used to be such a control but it disappeared.

I'm on AT&T and have the latest OTA update.
Another AT&T user here with the same issue
rmreid is offline  
Old October 10th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #387 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 4
 
Device(s): Samsung S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Flooi
Default

hello.
I've had my s3 for roughly 4months now. Since about a months and a half ago I have not been able to backup onto the Samsung website. I have not been able to sync with it either. When I want to go into my account profile, it only says Loading and after anything from a few seconds to a few minutes, it says Processing Failed and kick's me back to the log in screen (when i type the password wrong, it says "incorrect password", so it does at least try to log in)
Friends of mine who have the S2 says they have not tried to backup before so I can't compare.
I have also notice that my phone says quite often that the samsung account must be updated. I accept and make sure I'm close to my wi-fi router, switch on my mobile data and plug in my phone if the battery is low - all in the hopes that it would fix whatever is going on. After the "update" nothing is different and

Please if someone can offer me help as to what I'm doing wrong of if there Is a problem with samsung accounts. I have been tempted to Remove Account but I'm not sure if doing it will work.
Flooi is offline  
Old October 10th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #388 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 112
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 (AT&T), iPhone 5 (returned aft. 1 day), iPhone 5 (wife, AT&T), iPhone 3GS (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmreid View Post
Another AT&T user here with the same issue
I know this isn't a complete solution, but I switched to Chrome as my browser and haven't looked back. Brightness problem gone, and I like it better regardless. I did have to enter my bookmarks again; I don't know if there's a way to import them.
johnnylighton is offline  
Old October 10th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #389 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylighton View Post
I know this isn't a complete solution, but I switched to Chrome as my browser and haven't looked back. Brightness problem gone, and I like it better regardless. I did have to enter my bookmarks again; I don't know if there's a way to import them.
If you use a desktop version of Chrome, you can import your bookmarks if you log in with your Google account on both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellyrfc View Post
I got the s3 a few days ago and everything has been great with it until this morning. Since this morning when i get a txt it sometimes doesnt always play the tone that i have set. It may just play 2 seconds of it and cut off or plays less or just doesnt play at all. Wasnt sure if maybe i have hit a setting where at certain times ie when phone screen is on or when its lying a certain way it wont play. Any help will be appreciaed as its driving me nuts.
There's a few people that have had this problem. IIRC, a factory reset fixes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flooi View Post
hello.
I've had my s3 for roughly 4months now. Since about a months and a half ago I have not been able to backup onto the Samsung website. I have not been able to sync with it either. When I want to go into my account profile, it only says Loading and after anything from a few seconds to a few minutes, it says Processing Failed and kick's me back to the log in screen (when i type the password wrong, it says "incorrect password", so it does at least try to log in)
Friends of mine who have the S2 says they have not tried to backup before so I can't compare.
I have also notice that my phone says quite often that the samsung account must be updated. I accept and make sure I'm close to my wi-fi router, switch on my mobile data and plug in my phone if the battery is low - all in the hopes that it would fix whatever is going on. After the "update" nothing is different and

Please if someone can offer me help as to what I'm doing wrong of if there Is a problem with samsung accounts. I have been tempted to Remove Account but I'm not sure if doing it will work.
I would remove it and re-sync it. I don't use my Samsung account much, so I can't offer much assistance with this. I use Google to sync my data.
jerofld is offline  
Old October 11th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #390 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I tried reading through all the posts, but only made it through 5 pages, so I apologize if this is a repeat.

I'm new to android, had an iPhone for the past 3 years, and have had my gs3 for about 2 weeks. I dropped my first one and got a replacement a few days ago. Yesterday, the "security and lock" screen started popping up randomly, and often. It's especially annoying when I'm recording a video because it interrupts it. I uninstalled every app that I didn't have on the other phone, I have force quit it, cleared the memory, removed the battery, etc. Am I missing something obvious?

Speaking of obvious, my auto-replacement doesn't seem to work.
Every box is checked in the predictive text screen. Usually the correct word will come up on the prediction bar, but it doesn't automatically change. My first gs3 did.

The security and lock screen has popped up six times while typing this. Please help!!!
itworkssmith is offline  
sponsored links
Old October 11th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #391 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 23
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3, Nexus 10
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerofld View Post
There are way too many variables to be able to determine this offhand. Do you have a 3rd party headset? What's the make/model if you're using stock? What carrier is your GS3 on?
No to the 3rd party headset, it is a straight connection between my Sprint GS3 and my Kia UVO. I think that answers all the questions? BTW, I read on the Kia boards to un-pair and re-pair the two, so I tried that. It worked immediately afterwards, but today I went to dial up a friend and it had reverted back to just the area codes.
Cruncher1201 is offline  
Old October 12th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #392 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itworkssmith View Post
I tried reading through all the posts, but only made it through 5 pages, so I apologize if this is a repeat.

I'm new to android, had an iPhone for the past 3 years, and have had my gs3 for about 2 weeks. I dropped my first one and got a replacement a few days ago. Yesterday, the "security and lock" screen started popping up randomly, and often. It's especially annoying when I'm recording a video because it interrupts it. I uninstalled every app that I didn't have on the other phone, I have force quit it, cleared the memory, removed the battery, etc. Am I missing something obvious?

Speaking of obvious, my auto-replacement doesn't seem to work.
Every box is checked in the predictive text screen. Usually the correct word will come up on the prediction bar, but it doesn't automatically change. My first gs3 did.

The security and lock screen has popped up six times while typing this. Please help!!!
I would recommend a factory reset. That is a odd error. Do you have any security settings set?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruncher1201 View Post
No to the 3rd party headset, it is a straight connection between my Sprint GS3 and my Kia UVO. I think that answers all the questions? BTW, I read on the Kia boards to un-pair and re-pair the two, so I tried that. It worked immediately afterwards, but today I went to dial up a friend and it had reverted back to just the area codes.
Something like this happened with my Evo 3D in my Camaro. Different makes, but similar situation. Unpair, repair, and then deny the request to sync with your contact list. See if that helps.
jerofld is offline  
Old October 12th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #393 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 23
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3, Nexus 10
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerofld View Post
Something like this happened with my Evo 3D in my Camaro. Different makes, but similar situation. Unpair, repair, and then deny the request to sync with your contact list. See if that helps.
That leads to no contacts at all; I just tried.
Cruncher1201 is offline  
Old October 15th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #394 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Data problem

I have the 16gb gs3 on att 4g lte network. I use tTorrent for downloads. At first it was downloading at 250 kb/s the max for the lite version. It slowed down to 50kb/s I got the full version with unlimited download speed and still the same problem. I have an unlimited data plan and have not gone over 3gb yet. I use the speed test to check the download and is incredibly slow. What am I doing wrong here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
30daywonder is offline  
Old October 15th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #395 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

can i read pdf files in ssamsung galaxy 3
azeemjab is offline  
Old October 15th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #396 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default help with samsung

Two little problems that I cant seem to fix. One I dont get any sound when receiving a text. Get a blue flashing light but no sound. Tried everything I can think of

Also have a funny symbol in notifcation bar. It is an exclamation mark in a circle with a line through it.
Winedrinker is offline  
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:14 AM   #397 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 14
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winedrinker View Post
Two little problems that I cant seem to fix. One I dont get any sound when receiving a text. Get a blue flashing light but no sound. Tried everything I can think of

Also have a funny symbol in notifcation bar. It is an exclamation mark in a circle with a line through it.
That circle with an exclamation mark means Notifications are off - hence no sound! Just pull down the bar at the top and you'll see the Notification symbol and you can activate it.
blackdog is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to blackdog For This Useful Post:
jerofld (October 16th, 2012)
Old October 16th, 2012, 06:08 AM   #398 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruncher1201 View Post
That leads to no contacts at all; I just tried.
The numbers will display instead of names. But the bluetooth calling will still work. If this is the case, you need to contact Samsung support and report the issue, so that they can forward it to the programmers and get it to work with your vehicle properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30daywonder View Post
I have the 16gb gs3 on att 4g lte network. I use tTorrent for downloads. At first it was downloading at 250 kb/s the max for the lite version. It slowed down to 50kb/s I got the full version with unlimited download speed and still the same problem. I have an unlimited data plan and have not gone over 3gb yet. I use the speed test to check the download and is incredibly slow. What am I doing wrong here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Torrents use multiple sources for their downloads. These sources are other users who may or may not have fast internet. The speed that you download may be due to the host(s) of the file having slow internet speeds, or are also downloading/uploading, so their bandwidth is being used. It likely has nothing to do with your device or your service.

And please do not use torrents for illegal purposes or piracy. I know you never mentioned it, but it's a very common thing on torrents. Discussion of these topics are not allowed on AF. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemjab View Post
can i read pdf files in ssamsung galaxy 3
Yes, install an office style app or Adobe's Reader app.
jerofld is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to jerofld For This Useful Post:
PattiCakeUS (October 17th, 2012)
Old October 16th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #399 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So i just got a galaxy s3 and for about 2 days of listening to music all was fine, I started today only the left earbud worked, and I though the headphones had broke, then I tried my beats, same problem, I then tried the original headphones that came with the device, and again same problem, I tried all the headphones on my sisters iPod and they all work, any help? I appreciate it
Guillao is offline  
Old October 17th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #400 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillao View Post
So i just got a galaxy s3 and for about 2 days of listening to music all was fine, I started today only the left earbud worked, and I though the headphones had broke, then I tried my beats, same problem, I then tried the original headphones that came with the device, and again same problem, I tried all the headphones on my sisters iPod and they all work, any help? I appreciate it
Ensure that any equalizer apps you have installed are not set to bias to the left. Try different audio apps. Or factory reset. If it still does it after the factory reset, then you need a replacement. Lemons happen, unfortunately.
jerofld is offline  
Closed Thread

Buy the Samsung Galaxy S III
Sign up for instant notification when the Samsung Galaxy S III goes on sale!
Samsung Galaxy S III

  The Samsung Galaxy S3 is the company's flagship device of 2012. As one of the most anticipated devices of the year, this device is the first to come with a Exynos 4 Quad processor. It also has Android 4.0, a 4.8-inch 720p Super AMOLED ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.