Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree27Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 3rd, 2012, 12:19 AM   #51 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I just ordered an Infuse dock. For those of you that already have the setup, are there any other modifications you made besides drilling the two holes? And what size bit did you use? I don't want to mess up the dock trying to drill the holes.

Cochice is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 3rd, 2012, 01:54 AM   #52 (permalink)
Member
 
TobesEtc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 257
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 HTC One Google Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Thanks, for 14 including the international postage that is a bit of a bargain!
TobesEtc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 02:20 AM   #53 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CrimsonPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: north alabama
Posts: 1,482
 
Device(s): Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 201 Times in 164 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochice View Post
I just ordered an Infuse dock. For those of you that already have the setup, are there any other modifications you made besides drilling the two holes? And what size bit did you use? I don't want to mess up the dock trying to drill the holes.
i didnt even drill holes, i can see how one may be needed for the speaker, but i havent used it to be able to tell if it really is necessary. mine is just as it came out of the box
CrimsonPride is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #54 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 279
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 22
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Default

So has anyone found a decent car mount that isn't for the Infuse? I was looking at the Arkons, but it seems they all suffer from the ball joint weakening after a short amount of time. I had the official mount for the original Incredible and never had a problem with the joints loosening up.
question729 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #55 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 129
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 64
Thanked 63 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernNoel View Post
I've ordered one of these after seeing it on XDA http://www.amazon.com/Mountek-Universal-Smartphone-Blackberry-Motorola/dp/B004G1L52Q/

Looks great just waiting for the long ship to the UK
This looks pretty cool. But I don't think it has any ports for charging and audio, it would fit better in my G37 where the CD player is but I may buy the infuse dock first and see how that works. Thanks thought, I'll keep this in mind!
Hustletron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #56 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 449
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by question729 View Post
So has anyone found a decent car mount that isn't for the Infuse? I was looking at the Arkons, but it seems they all suffer from the ball joint weakening after a short amount of time. I had the official mount for the original Incredible and never had a problem with the joints loosening up.
The only decent docks will be those that have integrated USB power connectors which so far as I've seen only include OEM docks.

The one handed swipe I do with my DX to slide in and lock my phone into place without having to worry about the power supply is a must have feature when you've done it thousands and thousands of times in 2 years.
sorka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 11:57 PM   #57 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 238
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 11
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by question729 View Post
So has anyone found a decent car mount that isn't for the Infuse? I was looking at the Arkons, but it seems they all suffer from the ball joint weakening after a short amount of time. I had the official mount for the original Incredible and never had a problem with the joints loosening up.
Would you please provide sources to where you say the ball joints weaken after a short amount of time? I've had my Arkon Mega Grip(Droid X) for almost 2 years now and have no problems.

Edit: Im guessing you are referring to the Amazon reviews?
__________________
Case: Clear Matte Androidified A2 CruzerLite TPU
Screen Protector: Steinheil Ultra Nano Clear
Car Mount: Arkon Mega Grip
Bluetooth headset: Blueant T1
Car Charger: Motorola SPN5400
akita is offline  
Last edited by akita; July 5th, 2012 at 12:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 04:56 AM   #58 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 279
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 22
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akita View Post
Would you please provide sources to where you say the ball joints weaken after a short amount of time? I've had my Arkon Mega Grip(Droid X) for almost 2 years now and have no probl

Edit: Im guessing you are referring to the Amazon reviews?
Yep. I don't know, maybe these people just adjust their phones obsessively! I'm looking more at the mobile grips, but the clips look like they could get in the way.
question729 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 06:32 AM   #59 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 238
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 11
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by question729 View Post
Yep. I don't know, maybe these people just adjust their phones obsessively! I'm looking more at the mobile grips, but the clips look like they could get in the way.
Yeah 2 things I gathered from those reviews:
1) Those people must love making daily adjustments with the nut. If that's the case, then surely you would expect the nut and ball joints to go out considering its plastic and not metal to metal. I cant even fathom a reason to make those kind of adjustments so frequently considering you would could easily find the ideal spot(which the suction cup spot would leave a "fingerprint" on your windshield so you would know where to place it next time).
2)Some of these people are leaving the mount on 24/7, especially in the hot summer. Now im from Atlanta and it's a rule of thumb to NEVER leave your GPS mounts on display when you are away from your car. That's a red flag for thieves to break into your car and see if you have a GPS unit to steal(amongst other things). Also it gets hot as hell here so no sense in leaving it out in the open. I keep mine in my arm rest console when not in use and again, after 2 years its still fine.

Those "feet" shouldn't get in the way as there's only a charger port and mic in the middle. The grips shouldn't interfere with anything either. Since this has a ball joint adjustment, you have a lot of room to make adjustments horizontally and vertically.
akita is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to akita For This Useful Post:
question729 (July 5th, 2012)
Old July 5th, 2012, 08:03 AM   #60 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 279
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 22
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akita View Post
Yeah 2 things I gathered from those reviews:
1) Those people must love making daily adjustments with the nut. If that's the case, then surely you would expect the nut and ball joints to go out considering its plastic and not metal to metal. I cant even fathom a reason to make those kind of adjustments so frequently considering you would could easily find the ideal spot(which the suction cup spot would leave a "fingerprint" on your windshield so you would know where to place it next time).
2)Some of these people are leaving the mount on 24/7, especially in the hot summer. Now im from Atlanta and it's a rule of thumb to NEVER leave your GPS mounts on display when you are away from your car. That's a red flag for thieves to break into your car and see if you have a GPS unit to steal(amongst other things). Also it gets hot as hell here so no sense in leaving it out in the open. I keep mine in my arm rest console when not in use and again, after 2 years its still fine.

Those "feet" shouldn't get in the way as there's only a charger port and mic in the middle. The grips shouldn't interfere with anything either. Since this has a ball joint adjustment, you have a lot of room to make adjustments horizontally and vertically.

Great, thanks for the perspective. As long as the joints don't suddenly loosen up from just the daily shakes and bumps in the car, it will do.
question729 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 5th, 2012, 09:01 AM   #61 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 768
 
Device(s): Droid X, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 6
Thanked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Default

5 inserts and removals a day = 10. 7 days x 10 = 70 week, 52 weeks x 70 = 3640 inserts and removals a year x my DX has been alive for over 2 years.
Wow, I also will only accept a powered dock. I would think inserting a power cord into my DX over 7,000 in it's life would have detrimental effects on the cord and the port on the phone.

I would think the ULTIMATE would be an wireless charger! Just dock it and even the dock doesn't have to mate/plug into the phone. That is what I'm really waiting for my car and desktop.
Until then, the cheap one I ordered will suffice.
I think it will happen because of the shear number of S3 out there that are all EXACTLY the same, 10M + as of now. That is a huge market! I firmly believe the iPhone always had that advantage that all the phones fit the same docks, MP3 docks, car dock, desktop, multimedia, etc. I just makes sense to 3rd party hardware developers to make some thing for a phone that has 10M out there vice a HOX with far smaller volume on limited carriers. Not that the HOX is bad, I don't think it will see the support that the S3 will.
__________________
Droid X and root. Not overclocked.
serpa4 is offline  
Last edited by serpa4; July 5th, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #62 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 398
 
Device(s): VZN Galaxy S3 Nexus 7 '13
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 24
Thanked 52 Times in 40 Posts
Default

I received the Exomount the other day and have mixed feelings about it. The suction base is very good. The rubber material reminds me of the "wacky wall walkers" I had as a kid. Very flexible and has a tacky feel, but doesn't leave any residue.

The clamp is easy to use and holds my DX just fine.

I'm a little disappointed in the ball joint though. I can't get the nut tight enough to keep it from moving once adjusted.

If the ball joint worked this would be a great universal mount.
svensett is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #63 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 238
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 11
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by question729 View Post
Great, thanks for the perspective. As long as the joints don't suddenly loosen up from just the daily shakes and bumps in the car, it will do.
Yeah. If you are wanting to buy it, but it from Amazon. If for some reason it doesn't work out you can always return it(within the return window). Not sure how the manufacturer is to deal with directly.
akita is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #64 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inland Northwest
Posts: 635
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 222
Thanked 548 Times in 263 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3user View Post
you can use it as a mass storage, you just have to use the USB cable that came in the S3 box.

I found out that you can't use any other USB cable, it won't do the transfer.
Mine transfers fine w/ a regular, cheap USB cable from monoprice.
__________________
I don't care if you lick windows, take the special bus or occasionally wet your pants..............You hang in there Sunshine, you're freakin' special!
tdub88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tdub88 For This Useful Post:
question729 (July 5th, 2012)
Old July 5th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #65 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 238
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 11
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpa4 View Post
5 inserts and removals a day = 10. 7 days x 10 = 70 week, 52 weeks x 70 = 3640 inserts and removals a year x my DX has been alive for over 2 years.
Wow, I also will only accept a powered dock. I would think inserting a power cord into my DX over 7,000 in it's life would have detrimental effects on the cord and the port on the phone.

I would think the ULTIMATE would be an wireless charger! Just dock it and even the dock doesn't have to mate/plug into the phone. That is what I'm really waiting for my car and desktop.
Until then, the cheap one I ordered will suffice.
I think it will happen because of the shear number of S3 out there that are all EXACTLY the same, 10M + as of now. That is a huge market! I firmly believe the iPhone always had that advantage that all the phones fit the same docks, MP3 docks, car dock, desktop, multimedia, etc. I just makes sense to 3rd party hardware developers to make some thing for a phone that has 10M out there vice a HOX with far smaller volume on limited carriers. Not that the HOX is bad, I don't think it will see the support that the S3 will.
When you think about it, the Droid X's placement of the charger port on the side is useful when you are using a mount that does not have a built in charger port. That's assuming you would place the phone in landscape mode.
Now the problem im going to run in on reusing this Arkon Mount for the S3 is the charger port is on the bottom end of the phone. So unless i find a right angle adapter, that's going to create some unnecessary stress on the port and cable.
akita is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #66 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 449
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Also factor in that I've probably rotated my DX from landscape to portrait and back at least a thousand times in the dock. I do it daily when switching between video surveillance for my house and navigation. The stock Motorola dock has never loosened or given me any issues.
sorka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #67 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 42
 
Device(s): Dx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Has anyone used RacerMount 2.1 from CAPDASE. If anyone has bought it where? I have found it on a couple of sites that I have not heard of before for $34. I would like to be able to charge my wife's cell phone and mine while using it for nav.


Capdase Car Charger Holder-RacerMount 2.1 - YouTube
Davoo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #68 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Motor City
Posts: 27
 
Device(s): Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 20 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I thought this car dock looked interesting based on the claims that it will mount to multiple surfaces without the need for the smooth disk adhered to the dash, which can be difficult to remove without damaging the dash.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BSCZ3I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=A2E944XTTK6JT6

same unit but from their main website. It seems the image on the buybits website looks like a more custom designed cradle for the SIII versus the amazon image that looks more like a universal holder.


Galaxy S 3 S3 SIII i9300 Multi Surface Car Mount (sku 14511) :: [ BuyBits ]

I ordered and received the infuse dock already so hopefully that will work well (I don't have the phone yet).
ScootD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #69 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 768
 
Device(s): Droid X, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 6
Thanked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akita View Post
When you think about it, the Droid X's placement of the charger port on the side is useful when you are using a mount that does not have a built in charger port. That's assuming you would place the phone in landscape mode.
Now the problem im going to run in on reusing this Arkon Mount for the S3 is the charger port is on the bottom end of the phone. So unless i find a right angle adapter, that's going to create some unnecessary stress on the port and cable.
Ya, I know what you mean. My old, sit in the car trunk, GPS is that way. You can find 90 micro USB cables. I'd go that way if I was using a non powered mount to reduce the stress.
serpa4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #70 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 768
 
Device(s): Droid X, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 6
Thanked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davoo View Post
Has anyone used RacerMount 2.1 from CAPDASE. If anyone has bought it where? I have found it on a couple of sites that I have not heard of before for $34. I would like to be able to charge my wife's cell phone and mine while using it for nav.


Capdase Car Charger Holder-RacerMount 2.1 - YouTube
Great idea, but that looks like it would really floppy, really really floppy bouncing around.
serpa4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 6th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #71 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 42
 
Device(s): Dx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpa4 View Post
Great idea, but that looks like it would really floppy, really really floppy bouncing around.
I read some reviews and from what they said it is good for GPS but is not good enough for cameras. I guess the guy was a drift racer or something and likes to have a windshield video cam.
Davoo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #72 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Doit2it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,956
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SIII, ASUS Transformer TF101
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 151
Thanked 459 Times in 330 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty001 View Post
Not scaremongering but spotted this a few days ago someone's SG3 go up in flames from the charging point possibly using an in car charger (possibly not Samsung) and could be the cause or what Samsung may say is the cause

...Photos redacted...
Told you something wasn't right about his story. Now he says a friend put it in a microwave to dry it out. I hope Samsung or his carrier go after him.

samsung-galaxy-s3-burns-not-caused-by-smartphone
__________________
Apps on my SIII
OK, I admit it, I'm a Twit
Dropbox! 2Gb free cloud storage
SIII - CleanROM 7 BMF1 / TF101 - KatKiss 4.4.2
Doit2it is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #73 (permalink)
Member
 
shotinthenads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: US
Posts: 193
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3, Droid Charge,iPhone 5, iPad 3, Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 22
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I received my Infuse car dock from Amazon. No GS3 yet but I like the dock a lot. It is one of the more sturdy docks I had so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-07-08 08.55.57 (1).jpg (92.5 KB, 139 views)
__________________
Glock 23 Armed Vet
shotinthenads is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #74 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 768
 
Device(s): Droid X, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 6
Thanked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotinthenads View Post
I received my Infuse car dock from Amazon. No GS3 yet but I like the dock a lot. It is one of the more sturdy docks I had so far.
Yes received mine yesterday and does appear to be a good dock. I may just keep it unless a wireless dock comes out. Very sturdy looking. I REALLY like the headphone out jack as my car does not support bluetooth streaming, only phone calls. I currency plug and unplug my headphone jack from my cellphone to the car radio daily. This headphone jack in the dock will be great! I may never upgrade.
I have a thought though. On my DX the speaker is also on the rear of the phone. I have mastered the cup technique when holding the phone, but when docked obviously cannot cup. I wonder if not making a speaker hold will reflect more sound forward towards the user instead of the window.
serpa4 is offline  
Last edited by serpa4; July 8th, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #75 (permalink)
CEV
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 90
 
Device(s): GS3,Formerly-Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 10
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I also purchased the Infuse car dock. I have a ProClipUSE vent mount that I attached the DX mount to and worked perfectly. However, the Infuse dock will not mount to the ProClip mount. Since the Infuse mount people are talking about on here works with the GS3, I bet Samsung Infuse 4G - Charging Holder with Tilt Swivel and Straight Power Cord for Fixed Installation *-*ProClip Car Mounts for Mobile Phones, Tablet, and Handheld Devices that this would work then.
CEV is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #76 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 768
 
Device(s): Droid X, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 6
Thanked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEV View Post
I also purchased the Infuse car dock. I have a ProClipUSE vent mount that I attached the DX mount to and worked perfectly. However, the Infuse dock will not mount to the ProClip mount. Since the Infuse mount people are talking about on here works with the GS3, I bet Samsung Infuse 4G - Charging Holder with Tilt Swivel and Straight Power Cord for Fixed Installation *-*ProClip Car Mounts for Mobile Phones, Tablet, and Handheld Devices that this would work then.
That looks interesting. Not sure it would work in landscape though. I do like the powered dock and vent mounting though. I would think it "might" slide out when rotated landscape. In the summer over the AC vent might be a great way to go.
Bookmarked that website for future purchase...possibly.
serpa4 is offline  
Last edited by serpa4; July 8th, 2012 at 09:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #77 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,289
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Just wanted to share some info I found:

Samsung Car Mount Kit for Samsung Galaxy S3 III

At first, when I saw this, I thought it was just the universal dock that I'd seen reviewed on several sites. That was until I read the description, specifically this part:

Quote:
The Vehicle Power Charger is connected directly to the mount so that when your Galaxy S III S3 i9300 handset is docked, its charging. The mount automatically charges your Galaxy S III S3 i9300 handset without you having to plug / unplug the Vehicle Power Charger. It's truly brilliance on the go.
That said, if I had the SGS 3, I'd probably go with the Infuse dock since it works just fine and is much cheaper.
__________________
Love the G-Note series!
drexappeal is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
Dragbike Racer (July 9th, 2012)
Old July 9th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #78 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 293
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 149
Thanked 167 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Now that I have my phone and the Infuse mount, I'm going to buck the consensus and say that the Infuse dock doesn't really fit. Yes, you can jam it in there and yes the connector connects, but the overall shape is all wrong. It takes more force than I'm comfortable with to insert/remove it. I'll be returning it and waiting for a better solution.
__________________
When will then be now?
Soon.
How soon?
Reginald VelJohnson is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reginald VelJohnson For This Useful Post:
question729 (July 9th, 2012)
Old July 9th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #79 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 238
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 11
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Just wanted to share some info I found:

Samsung Car Mount Kit for Samsung Galaxy S3 III

At first, when I saw this, I thought it was just the universal dock that I'd seen reviewed on several sites. That was until I read the description, specifically this part:



That said, if I had the SGS 3, I'd probably go with the Infuse dock since it works just fine and is much cheaper.
They can go to hell with that $45.

The Infuse dock won't accommodate phone's with a case though if im not mistaken. Otherwise, I would have hopped on that one by now
akita is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #80 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Infuse car dock

Got my infuse car dock today, and for me, it fits perfectly. When you plug it in, the phone does go into "car mode" and launches s-voice by default. not sure what else "car mode" sets automatically.

In the "instructions," it suggests downloading the "Samsung Car Home" app as a car dock program. It is available in the play store online, but not compatable with the Verizon SGS3. searched the forums, and seems like a pain to download the apk and install. it also only get's 2 1/2 stars.

So... any really cool Car Dock apps that you folks have used on the nexus or SGS2 that you would recommend. I found a few in the store, but wondering if anyone has a favorite.
torquedom3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 10th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #81 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 449
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Just wanted to share some info I found:

Samsung Car Mount Kit for Samsung Galaxy S3 III

At first, when I saw this, I thought it was just the universal dock that I'd seen reviewed on several sites. That was until I read the description, specifically this part:



That said, if I had the SGS 3, I'd probably go with the Infuse dock since it works just fine and is much cheaper.
The description is wrong. The ECS-K200BEGSTA *is* the generic dock and does not integrate the USB connector.

And yes, it is a major ripoff with the Infuse dock costing half or less.
sorka is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sorka For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (July 12th, 2012)
Old July 10th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #82 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 449
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Scratch that, the Infuse dock on amazon just went from $24 something to $31.
sorka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #83 (permalink)
Member
 
shotinthenads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: US
Posts: 193
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3, Droid Charge,iPhone 5, iPad 3, Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 22
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquedom3 View Post
Got my infuse car dock today, and for me, it fits perfectly. When you plug it in, the phone does go into "car mode" and launches s-voice by default. not sure what else "car mode" sets automatically.

In the "instructions," it suggests downloading the "Samsung Car Home" app as a car dock program. It is available in the play store online, but not compatable with the Verizon SGS3. searched the forums, and seems like a pain to download the apk and install. it also only get's 2 1/2 stars.

So... any really cool Car Dock apps that you folks have used on the nexus or SGS2 that you would recommend. I found a few in the store, but wondering if anyone has a favorite.
Mine fits just right as well. No force at all for me.
shotinthenads is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #84 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 238
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 11
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquedom3 View Post
Got my infuse car dock today, and for me, it fits perfectly. When you plug it in, the phone does go into "car mode" and launches s-voice by default. not sure what else "car mode" sets automatically.

In the "instructions," it suggests downloading the "Samsung Car Home" app as a car dock program. It is available in the play store online, but not compatable with the Verizon SGS3. searched the forums, and seems like a pain to download the apk and install. it also only get's 2 1/2 stars.

So... any really cool Car Dock apps that you folks have used on the nexus or SGS2 that you would recommend. I found a few in the store, but wondering if anyone has a favorite.
Do you have a case with your phone?
akita is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #85 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 59
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 SGH-i747m
Carrier: Bell

Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty001 View Post
Not scaremongering but spotted this a few days ago
someone's SG3 go up in flames from the charging point possibly using an in car charger (possibly not Samsung) and could be the cause or what Samsung may say is the cause






Run For Your Lives...Its The Killer Phone! | Coolsmartphone
that person drop the phone in water and put in the microwave to try and dry it out.

/solved
PunyGod likes this.
MooseKnuckles1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #86 (permalink)
Member
 
shotinthenads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: US
Posts: 193
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3, Droid Charge,iPhone 5, iPad 3, Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 22
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseKnuckles1 View Post
that person drop the phone in water and put in the microwave to try and dry it out.

/solved
Yes
shotinthenads is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #87 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

A couple comments on the Infuse dock. It definitely fits, though it's definitely snug. Not having the software doesn't seem to be a big deal, except that not having it renders the line-in jack on the dock useless, which I must say, is kind of a bummer. I use my phone for music in the car and I was looking forward to just popping it in and having it work, without grabbing my aux cable ever time.
Cochice is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #88 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

False. You need to enable audio out under system settings -> dock. Should be the second option.
Cochice likes this.
cambo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #89 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 449
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doit2it View Post
For those of you going the Infuse car dock route, someone at XDA said they found one half price at an AT&T store. They are half price ($17.99) on the website too: AT&T Infuse 4G car dock
The price has skyrocketed everywhere except for this site, so I went ahead and ordered it. It's almost double on Amazon.
sorka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 09:56 AM   #90 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Surprised I have not seen any Ram mounts here, great mounts with lots of options

I have had one for the past iPhones....

RAM Mount Universal X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/1" Ball

This is a universal mount, getting tired of ordering a new mount with every phone..

I would post pics but my post count is too low..
Outsane is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #91 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 449
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsane View Post
Surprised I have not seen any Ram mounts here, great mounts with lots of options

I have had one for the past iPhones....

RAM Mount Universal X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/1" Ball

This is a universal mount, getting tired of ordering a new mount with every phone..

I would post pics but my post count is too low..
They make these phone specific with integrted USB and audio jacks?????
sorka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #92 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, Co
Posts: 233
 
Device(s): VZW Samsung Galaxy S3, ASUS Transformer TF101
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Default

I was having trouble with the Audio Line out on the Infuse 4G dock. I tried everything even with the Dock setting correct. The problem was the phone was NOT recognizing that it was going into dock mode. This am I did a restart and docked the phone and it recognized immediately that it was docked (played the docked sound, and went to landscape mode for the home screen).

I was able to use the line out via the aux cable on the back of the dock to the Aux in on my stereo. I wish I did not have to go through all this but in their infinite wisdom they separated the Bluetooth functions on the GM products. There is a specific Bluetooth module that ONLY does Phone (works very well) but will NOT accept any A2DP. There is another module that you can purchase that will enable A2DP but what a pain because it goes in-line with the On-Star harness. So I have the best radio/system available on a GM product (Bose sound system) and can only make use of it through a standard aux cable (Booooo!!!). Pretty weak sauce I think.

The other thing -- They have a phonebook option for the Bluetooth as well.. IT IS ONLY ON THE VEHICLE! This means I can not use the actual Bluetooth Phonebook. I have to use the internal one and add contacts that way. Gaaaaaaahhhhh!!! The voice dialing once added works like a champ but Gaaaaaahhhhhh!!
Ches111 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #93 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 238
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 11
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Default

How is the phone triggered into Dock Mode? On my Droid X, depending on the polarity of the magnet, it will either trigger the Home Dock or Car Dock when a magnet is placed in a certain spot on the back of the phone. Id try this on the S3 but would this mess up the NFC chip built into the battery?
akita is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #94 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
JubbaTheHutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 998
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 177
Thanked 102 Times in 76 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorka View Post
Scratch that, the Infuse dock on amazon just went from $24 something to $31.
Or you can pick it up for $17.99 shipped directly from AT&T...

Vehicle Mount - Samsung Infuse 4G accessories from AT&T
JubbaTheHutt is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JubbaTheHutt For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (July 12th, 2012)
Old July 11th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #95 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, Co
Posts: 233
 
Device(s): VZW Samsung Galaxy S3, ASUS Transformer TF101
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akita View Post
How is the phone triggered into Dock Mode? On my Droid X, depending on the polarity of the magnet, it will either trigger the Home Dock or Car Dock when a magnet is placed in a certain spot on the back of the phone. Id try this on the S3 but would this mess up the NFC chip built into the battery?
When it is plugged into the dock it somehow recognizes it. I think you need the "Car Home" app installed though.
Ches111 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #96 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA
Posts: 9
 
Device(s): AT&T Captivate (Samsung Galaxy S) HTC Aria (Spouse) Motorola Backflip (Daughter)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doit2it View Post
Samsung makes charging auto docks with auto detect mode switch for a few of their latest handsets. There's no reason there won't be one for the SIII. Unfortunately it's not on the site yet.

Samsung cell-phones-accessories
Confirmed. Spoke w/Samsung today and asked about model-specific car and desktop docks for S3. Was directed to Samsung's "universal" dock/mount. Loved the docks I had for my Samsung Galaxy S/Captivate, both w/auto detect & Samsung Desktop/Car Home app.
phbair is offline  
Last edited by phbair; July 11th, 2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: FWIW, the charger described above by SM drexappeal is the Samsung universal car mount.
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #97 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Are there settings for "Car Mode," I can't seem to find them. I'd like for the screen to either not lock/turn off or not require a security pattern/code/whatever but only while in car mode. I can't seem to find this setting in the logical places.
Cochice is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #98 (permalink)
Member
 
TobesEtc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 257
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 HTC One Google Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Default

OK, I'm happy now! Three things make the phone work for me in the car:

1) The Infuse Car Dock (14 delivered from USA, bargain). Why Samsung don't make a specific one for S3 is beyond me, the S2 one is identical to the Infuse apart from holder size. If they put a bit of effort into Car Docks and made the adapter interchangeable then they'd lock car people into their brand. Seems like a no brainer to me.

2) I have a 3.5mm splitter that separates the speaker signal from the mic. This means I have to use the top connector rather than the rear, which is a pain. BUT it means Telephone Audio can route through the car speakers and an external mic mounted nearer my head can capture my voice. It's almost as good as a car-phone from the 90's (my original Motorola Flip had a superb car kit in 1993...) but not as convenient as you have to plug in the 3.5mm, but hey, at least it works. On the subject - when are the Androids going to sort out voice-calls via the Micro-usb?

3) Car Home Ultra - it's the car dock app that should be built in to Android. Why would Samsung think that as soon as I plug my phone into the car I want to start an argument with S-Voice?

Voila! A phone that does everything it should do in the car :-)
shotinthenads likes this.
TobesEtc is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TobesEtc For This Useful Post:
tonestert (July 15th, 2012)
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #99 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 57
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Anyone with the Infuse Car Dock: will it hold the S3 with a case on it? Or do you have to insert the phone without a case?
ousuxndallas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #100 (permalink)
Member
 
shotinthenads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: US
Posts: 193
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3, Droid Charge,iPhone 5, iPad 3, Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 22
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I have a Barely There case on mine and it is too tight of a fit in the dock with the case. I am guessing it is the thinest case going right now. I cannot imagine any that would fit in the dock. The case comes off easier than any case I've used so its not an issue for me to pop it off.
shotinthenads is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Buy the Samsung Galaxy S III
Sign up for instant notification when the Samsung Galaxy S III goes on sale!
Samsung Galaxy S III

  The Samsung Galaxy S3 is the company's flagship device of 2012. As one of the most anticipated devices of the year, this device is the first to come with a Exynos 4 Quad processor. It also has Android 4.0, a 4.8-inch 720p Super AMOLED ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.